Death and Funeral of Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland: March 10 & 16, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I might have missed it but I hoped they would have played "Unforgettable" at the funeral service. :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone post a photo of Queen Margrethe's deep curtsy please? I missed it.

So emotional... When they started to play "Auld Lang Syne" I could not hold my tears.

Loved the choice of music. I wonder if the pieces chosen were Princess Lilian's favourite pieces. Loved that Jerusalem was sung and the bagpipes at then end gave me a lump in the throat.

I must admit I thought that as well - I do hope it's only temporary and that she bounces back but usually she sits so tall and erect and that wasn't the case today. However, it was a wonderful deep curtsey she gave to Princess Lillian as someone else said. Respect to her for that especially considering her back problems.

Did my eyes deceive me, or did Queen Margrethe curtsey deeply to Princess Lilian's coffin when she arrived?
The Swedish commentator mentioned that queen Margrethe always stayed with Bertil and Lilian when visiting Stockholm after the death of her grandfather, so I think they were close. I would guess that the two ladies shared the same kind of humor and enjoyment of life.

The British flag at the altar was a loan from the British Embassy in Stockholm, it was the same flag that was present at the funeral of queen Louise in 1965.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I didn't know Sofia sat right behind the royal family.

I thought it was a nice service.

I just watched a clip from Prince Bertil's funeral and saw that "Unforgettable" was sung live. How beautiful.

Can anyone tell me why the King wore his uniform and orders while Carl Philip did not ... nor did any of the women wear their family orders? I also noticed that both Daniel and Carl Philip wore white ties while Christopher wore a black tie. Why?

Answers will be greatly appreciated.

I also noticed that both Daniel and Carl Philip wore white ties while Christopher wore a black tie. Why?

I just noticed this, too. I was wondering whether it might be a Swedish thing to wear a white tie. I'm used to men wearing black ties to funerals, as Christopher did.

I also noticed that both Daniel and Carl Philip wore white ties while Christopher wore a black tie. Why?

Answers will be greatly appreciated.

The royal men in Sweden always wear white ties in the funerals of a family member. Last year at the funeral of count Carl Johan Bernadotte the king wore also a civil suit and he had a white tie too. Chris isn't a member of the royal family.

Victoria
http://www.svt.se/cachable_image/1363442970/svts/article1101965.svt/ALTERNATES/large/vic.jpg

Arriving from the cemetary to the Royal Palace
http://media.shootitlive.com/9gSuTkZYGOICkJ8alxRVQPEyCWv/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1134
http://media.shootitlive.com/PB0ECEnURX86QNBTI2G8mHFVNko/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1134
http://media.shootitlive.com/aOvpmZquSNvB2V5pogy9bLUlyFF/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1134
http://media.shootitlive.com/ZCs8Gle7rs4S2yvmXgTaGXpHdmN/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1134

Last edited:
The royal men always wear white ties in the funerals of a family member. Last year at the funeral of count Carl Johan Bernadotte the king wore also a civil suit and he had a white tie too. Chris isn't a member of the royal family.

It's a Swedish tradition (not only in royal families) that the men of the immediate family wear white tie and the other men wear black tie for a funeral.

its swedish tradition, when my grandmother died her sons wore white ties as did her grown grandsons

I didn't start watching in time to see everyone arrive. I noticed Siliva curtseyed, but Margrethe is a Queen Regnant, and her deep curtsey moved me greatly. I have had great respect and affection for Margrethe anyway, but that has increased tremendously tonight.

Isn't that fairly standard practice at a funeral? I know at my grandparents and at my parents funerals the family at least bowed/curtseyed when the coffins were being taken out of the church.

I just watched a clip from Prince Bertil's funeral and saw that "Unforgettable" was sung live. How beautiful.

I've been looking for that clip too. Where did you find it? Could you post a link, please?

It was such an emotional and sad event, they truly loved Princess Lilian! You will never be forgotten...

Isn't that fairly standard practice at a funeral? I know at my grandparents and at my parents funerals the family at least bowed/curtseyed when the coffins were being taken out of the church.

Not at any of my family members' funerals. But then we tend to be cremated, so the services don't take place in churches and the coffins stay where they are till after the people have left the room. But even at funerals I've been to in churches I've never seen anyone bow or curtsey.

We bow to the coffin or urn, as a sign of respect. Nothing unusual about it to me.

Not at any of my family members' funerals. But then we tend to be cremated, so the services don't take place in churches and the coffins stay where they are till after the people have left the room. But even at funerals I've been to in churches I've never seen anyone bow or curtsey.
Swedes have a deep and ingrained custom of bowing and curtsy out of respect. Notice how often CP Victoria does a slight curtsy in various circumstances.

Thank you all that have so generously posted photos and links to this very moving funeral. You can feel the loss the royal family is feeling just by looking at the photos. It is also a very poignant death as of the relatives close to the royal family Princess Lilian was the last one. The King's uncle passed away almost a year ago and now P.Lilian. The King and Queen are now the senior generation in the immediate family.

Back
Top Bottom