Death and Funeral of Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland: March 10 & 16, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spoke to staff at the Royal Palace today when I went to the State Hall (Rikssalen) to write in the condolence lists and if they are correct (they coudn't promise me that) the funeral service will not be televised but some seats inside the Palace Church will be reserved for media representants.

Not that i'm feeling it's important to me that it's televised but i think it's a little bit sad and wrong decision by the court to not give as many people as possible the chance to follow the princess on her last journey. Lilian was very loved and popular among the swedish people wether you liked the monarchy or not.

Last edited:
Not that i'm feeling it's important to me that it's televised but i think it's a little bit sad and wrong decision by the court to not give as many people as possible the chance to follow the princess on her last journey. Lilian was very loved and popular among the swedish people wether you liked the monarchy or not.
The decision to televise the funeral or not isn't only dependent on the court, one of the Swedish tv channels would have to be interested in sending the funeral, and I haven't heard about any interest from the media to televise it.

The decision to televise the funeral or not isn't only dependent on the court, one of the Swedish tv channels would have to be interested in sending the funeral, and I haven't heard about any interest from the media to televise it.

I don't think they would say anything if they have made a question to the court about this and recived the answer no.

Last edited:
Well, Queen Margrethe, as a Head of State, has a higher precedence than Princess Madeleine, even in the Swedish Court.

but madeleine is a member of the royal house margrethe isn't and even if that were the case philippe,mathilde,frederik,and maxima were all in the front that day madeleine wasnt. You could argue by saying that they are all crown princes/esses but mathilde and maxima are only royal by marriage. I think that at family state events the members of the immediate family should always be seated in the front row, followed by people of the extended family in the second row, visitng royals should be seated in a separate area.

Anyway i will stop commenting about this because this thread isnt about seating plans at royal events. My condolences to the royal family im sure it is not easy to appear in public smiling and waving during such hard times

but madeleine is a member of the royal house margrethe isn't and even if that were the case philippe,mathilde,frederik,and maxima were all in the front that day madeleine wasnt. You could argue by saying that they are all crown princes/esses but mathilde and maxima are only royal by marriage. I think that at family state events the members of the immediate family should always be seated in the front row, followed by people of the extended family in the second row, visitng royals should be seated in a separate area.

Anyway i will stop commenting about this because this thread isnt about seating plans at royal events. My condolences to the royal family im sure it is not easy to appear in public smiling and waving during such hard times

But Queen Margrethe is a member of the immediate family. She's King Carl Gustaf's first counsin, and a niece of the late Princess Lilian.

But Queen Margrethe is a member of the immediate family. She's King Carl Gustaf's first counsin, and a niece of the late Princess Lilian.

Take denmark for example , at frederiks wedding in 2004 the then princess alexandra and princess benedikte were seated in the front row because they are part of the danish royal house but queens sofia and beatrix were in the second row
Frederik & Mary of Denmark's Wedding - Arrival at the Church - YouTube skip to 6:27

Last edited:
Last edited:
I sure am glad that sorting out the seating is NOT my problem.

Well Queen Margrethe can be seated at the first row either as a Head of State or as a member of the immediate family.
just a little quibble but I wonder how the Chileans will view the Danish Head of State at a family funeral rather than participating in a planned State Visit cancelled due to ill health.:whistling:

just a little quibble but I wonder how the Chileans will view the Danish Head of State at a family funeral rather than participating in a planned State Visit cancelled due to ill health.:whistling:

Her Majesty must be feeling better, it's the funeral of her aunt. I know Her Majesty's late mother, Queen Ingrid, was very close to Prince Bertil and Princess Lilian.

Anyway, the Crown Princely couple has undertaken the visit.

Well Queen Margrethe can be seated at the first row either as a Head of State or as a member of the immediate family.

but you seem to be forgetting that HM is NOT a member of the royal house or court of sweden
i know that we are not going to agree on this matter so better leave it there
we have our own opinions and have the right to belive in what we belive ;) :flowers:

but you seem to be forgetting that HM is NOT a member of the royal house or court of sweden
i know that we are not going to agree on this matter so better leave it there
we have our own opinions and have the right to belive in what we belive ;) :flowers:

It's great to have to deal with different opinions. :flowers:

Queen Margrethe isn't a member of the Swedish Royal Family, but she's a member of the family.

A niece (Queen Margrethe) is closer than a great-niece (Princess Madeleine).

She may not be healthy enough to sit on a plane for 10-12 hours or more, but the flight from Copenhagen to Stockholm takes less than one hour, if she can't fly it takes about six hours by train or car.

I think the Chileans will understand that a 24 hours flight followed by 6 days of various engagements and more travels is a much more difficult task for a person with heavy backpains than a 45 minutes flight followed by 1 church service. ;)

From the funeral of count Carl Johan Bernadotte, the brother of prince Bertil and the uncle of queen Margrethe, last year.
At the church, queen Margrethe, prince Henrik. queen Anne-Marie and princess Benedikte are in the front row
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Leaving the church, queen Margrethe comes out after king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia, in front of Victoria and Daniel
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Expressen writes that Chris O'Neill has arrived to Stockholm for the funeral, he and Madeleine were seen at restaurant Daphne yesterday.
Expressen writes also that according to their sources Carl Philip could let Madeleine and Chris live at Villa Solbacken. They are searching for a house in Sweden.
Prinsessan Lilians hus kan bli Madeleines Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

A video of people remembering Lilian and writing at the condolences books.
Så minns folket prinsessan Lilian Händelser Nyheter Webbtv Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Swedish Television broadcasts Princess Lilian's funeral from the Royal Chapel in Stockholm on Saturday.
Commentators are John Chrispinsson and royal expert Roger Lundgren, SVT writes in a press release.
- We will send directly from the Royal Chapel at 12:55 to about 14:15. Then we will have a memorial program in the evening at 19.00, said David Rydell at SVT's press service.
SVT sänder prinsessan Lilians begravning Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

Swedish public service broadcaster Sveriges televion has been named the official host broadcaster at the funeral of H.R.H. Princess Lilian in the Royal Chapel.
Host broadcaster at the funeral of H.R.H. Princess Lilian in the Royal Chapel - Sveriges Kungahus

I think it's a good decision to give as many people as possible a chance to follow her last journey. Good to have Roger Lundgren as commentator. He can do it respectfully and knows very well what he is talking about

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there is a possibility that this Funeral Service can be watched online?

Last edited by a moderator:
This article is probably correct, lets just hope that they wont seat Queen Margrethe in the front row and Princess Madeleine in the second row like they did at Princess Estelle's baptism.

I'm just hoping they sit Queen Margrethe and Princess Madeleine wherever they want to sit them rather than where we think they should sit them. :eek:

Princess Lilian's coffin arrived to the Royal Palace, princess Christina and Tord Magnuson came there too.
Så ska de hylla Lilian

On Saturday the royal family says farewell to his beloved "auntie Lilian".
According to Aftonbladet's sources it is wanted that the princess' personality shines through. Among other things, her coffin to be adorned with favorite flower lily of the valley. When Lilian married she carried lilies of the valley in her bridal bouquet and the flower has always been the symbol of Lilian's and Bertil's love.
According to Aftonbladet's source of the royal family also wants Lilian's favorite songs to be played.
- There have been requests for some music, I think we all were touched by "Unforgettable" in Bertil's funeral, said the source.
Nat King Cole classics meant a lot to Lilian and Bertil. Another piece of music that will be on the wish list is the British anthem "For all the saints."

Lilian's coffin arrived in the evening to the Royal Palace. The royal family has gathered for a private memorial service.
- I just know that it's the royal family. Exactly which family members are there I do not know, says Annika Sönnerberg from the press department to Expressen.
http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/har-kommer-lilians-kista-till-slottet/
Translation

Last edited:
I have to be honest, I knew absolutely nothing about Princess Lillian until her passing. From all that I have read this week she sounds like an extraordinary woman. Hollywood couldn't write a better love story then the one that existed between Bertil&Lillian. I hope that she and her love have finally been reunited.

Back
Top Bottom