Death and Funeral of Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland: March 10 & 16, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to read that, at last she will see again the love of her life !

This truly is sad news. Princess Lilian seemed like a wonderful, nice and warm person. May she rest in peace.

She had 2 half sisters from her fathers second marriage with whom she maintained no contact. I wonder if either of them survive her,

I'm so sad to hear this news, but it was expected, she was ill from some time now, and her age didn't help either!

The Swedish royals had many great and kind-hearted members (my favourite swedish royal member of the past is Crown Princess Margareta), Princess Lilian is one of them and her true story is admirable.

I wonder if they will release tomorow the funeral's date, and I wonder about Victoria's name day, will it be canceled?

The press chief at the royal court said that they are planning the funeral arrangements and they will release it as soon as possible.

They haven't announced any changed plans regarding Victorias name day celebration. I imagine it's up to her to decide if she wants to go ahead or cancel it.

RIP Princess Lillian

RIP Princess Lilian. A grand lady! What a beautiful life I have been reading about the love story between Prince Bertil and Princess Lilian....very moving, a real fairy tale.

King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia knew that Princess Lilian could pass away in any minute.
Therefore they arrived to visit Lilian on Saturday to say goodbye.
- Lilian meant so much to the royal family, especially the children, says a person close to the royal family to Expressen.
Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine went on Madeleine's hen party in the Alps on Friday.
- But Victoria was able to greet Lilian. I think Madeleine and Carl Philip also had time to say goodbye to her, says Expressen's source.

At Expressen's article also a small photo of Daniel in his car arriving home to Haga Palace after having heard from Lilian's death.
Kungen och Silvia tog farväl av Lilian i går Nyheter Expressen
Translation

It's good that they got to say goodbye! What a lovely lady! May she rest in peace!

During the night the king's words about princess Lilian have been put to the website:

Statement by His Majesty the King on the occasion of HRH Princess Lilian's death

Following Princess Lilian's death the king gives the following comment:
"It is with great sorrow that I and our family announces that Princess Lilian passed away on Sunday, March 10th. Princess was much loved by our family and we all remember her as a happy, funny and witty person. She was a true joy spreader and had the ability to always create a good and warm atmosphere around her. The youngsters of our family always appreciated Princess' happy antics and humorous manners.
The Princess shared Prince Bertil's involvement in sports and in KAK (The Royal Automobile Club). She was always loyal and stood up wholeheartedly for the Royal Family and for Sweden. A very dear and beloved member of the family is now gone."
Uttalande av H.M. Konungen med anledning av H.K.H. Prinsessan Lilians bortgång - Sveriges Kungahus

According to the court, the flag of the Royal Palace will be at half-mast from Monday until the funeral has taken place.
There is an exception for the flags on the Palace during the Turkish state visit. The flag is hauled to half-mast on Monday between the hours of 08 and 11 in the morning. From 11 o'clock, until the visit is completed on Wednesday evening, the flag will be up in honor of the Turkish President. After that the flag will be set to half-mast.
Kungen Lilian var en sann glädjespridare Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

Princess Lilian left at 23.30 her beloved home Villa Solbacken for the last time and the lights of the villa were turned off.
Farväl Villa Solbacken - här lämnar Lilian huset Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

Because of HRH Princess Lilian's death the Government Offices flags will be set at half mast for Monday 11 March.
The government recommends that the public buildings flags will be at half-mast on public buildings on Monday.
http://www.regeringen.se/sb/d/17273/a/211287

Last edited:
This is truly sad news. I do not know why but on the weekend from Saturday, i just had a feeling want to look at pictures and read for much more information about her again, then I started to view the gallery of her on Getty. It was such a coincedence when I saw the news broke out this morning. May she rest in peace and reunite with her beloved husband.

This was the royal love story to end all royal love stories.
A beautiful lady and loyal companion of Prince Bertil!

viv

This is very sad news indeed and Princess Lilian's death will be a great loss to her family and to many others in Sweden and abroad. She had such an extraordinary life and her relationship with Prince Bertil is one of those rare love-stories of utter devotion and committment through adversity.

Funeral service for Princess Lilian will take place in the Royal Chapel at the Royal Palace on Saturday, March 16 at. 13.00. The Princess will be buried to the Royal Cemetary in Haga.
Begravningsgudstjänst för H.K.H. Prinsessan Lilian i Slottskyrkan - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

H.R.H. Princess Lilian on lit de parade
The public will be given the opportunity to say goodbye to Princess Lilian on Friday 15 March at. 12:00 to 15:00 in the Royal Chapel at the Royal Palace.
H.K.H. Prinsessan Lilian på lit de parade - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Last edited:
There will be lists of condolences avaliable in the State Hall (Rikssalen) at the Royal Palace at Wednesday and Thursday between 11 a.m to 14 p.m

What an amazing love story! A lady to be remembered with fondness and respect. I hope she's now with her Prince.

High quality pics on Gala.de.Prinzessin Lilian von Schweden - Trauer in Schweden | GALA.DE I especially love this one with Victoria and CP: http://image.gala.de/v1/cms/SE/vict...-rtr_5681248-landscape-lightbox.jpg?v=7467186

And my all- time favourite pic of Princess Lilian for the Millenium New Year's party she rest in peace: http://landlordrocknyc.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/2765115773_c3dac4d5b2.jpg?w=305&h=500

By the way has somebody here a bigger version of this portrait of her ? I can no longer find the link but it was once available here on the RF. :flowers:

Attachments

• SwedenPortraits4.jpg
    SwedenPortraits4.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 900
Last edited:
I'm sure the Danish and Greek royal families will be in attendance. I wonder if Frederik and Mary will be back from Chile (don't think so)?

Does anyone know if attendance has been confirmed yet?

Back
Top Bottom