The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Gentry

Statement from Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt.

It is with great sadness I have received the announcement that HRH Princess Lilian is dead. A beloved and appreciated member of the Royal House has passed away. I want to express my and the Governments condolences by reason of Princess Lilian's death.

Uttalande av statsminister Fredrik Reinfeldt med anledning av prinsessan Lilians bortgång

Old 03-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Serene Highness

May she rest in peace. At least she is with her dear husband now...

Old 03-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

What a great age she lived to at 97. I don't know the background story of her romance with Prince Bertil, but I heard it was a true love story. My condolences to the Swedish royal family upon her passing.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
What a great age she lived to at 97. I don't know the background story of her romance with Prince Bertil, but I heard it was a true love story. My condolences to the Swedish royal family upon her passing.
Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 03-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
A brief information on their beautiful story here.

Really, really sad to hear of Princess Lilian's death; she was one of my favourite royals. May she rest in piece.
Death of Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland
Old 03-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Courtier

Oh so sad. I just read the announcement on facebook and I am really shocked now though it was to be expected with her being ill for several years already. She was a great lady and like a grandmother for Victoria and her siblings. They must be devastated. May she rest in peace !
Old 03-10-2013, 02:56 PM

I am deeply saddened to hear this news.. She was a very active royal up until she got ill. She lived a good and long life! My heart goes out to the Swedish royal family as well as Lilian's family!
Old 03-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia knew that Princess Lilian could pass away in any minute.
Therefore they arrived to visit Lilian on Saturday to say goodbye.
- Lilian meant so much to the royal family, especially the children, says a person close to the royal family to Expressen.
Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine went on Madeleine's hen party in the Alps on Friday.
- But Victoria was able to greet Lilian. I think Madeleine and Carl Philip also had time to say goodbye to her, says Expressen's source.

At Expressen's article also a small photo of Daniel in his car arriving home to Haga Palace after having heard from Lilian's death.
Kungen och Silvia tog farväl av Lilian i går Nyheter Expressen
Translation
Old 03-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
A brief information on their beautiful story here.

Really, really sad to hear of Princess Lilian's death; she was one of my favourite royals. May she rest in piece.
Death of Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland
Thank you for the background on Princess Lilian, Artemisia. That is indeed a truly romantic story; I can see that her death will leave a devastating gap in the Royal Family.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Serene Highness

Is there any information about the state visit and/or Victoria's name day?
There is a video about Princess Lilian's life in SVT webpage, you can also hear her speak. She seemed like a very witty and charming lady.
http://www.svt.se/nyheter/sverige/pr...-lilian-ar-dod

Also a lovely tribute:
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/ob...-at-97-1.88615
Old 03-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Death of Princess Lillian,Duchess of Halland

Welsh-born Swedish Princess Lilian dead at 97 - StamfordAdvocate

Welsh-born Swedish Princess Lilian dead at 97 - Europe news
Old 03-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
There is a video about Princess Lilian's life in SVT webpage, you can also hear her speak. She seemed like a very witty and charming lady.
Prinsessan Lilian har avlidit - Nyheter | SVT.se
Royal expert and the chief editor of the royal magazine "Kungliga magasinet", Roger Lundgren, said just on Aftonbladet Live-TV, that he doesn't believe that there will be any changes to the program of the state visit. The turkish state visit is extremely important for Sweden, it is one of the biggest state visits ever with a very big delegation and it was postponed last autumn because of the health problems of the president. So Lundgren says that the visit will be done as planned, but of course the royal family will wear dark clothes during the state visit. And that there will be a state funeral.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Gentry

Statement from the Speaker of the Parliament (Riksdagen), Mr Per Westerberg:

It is with great sadness I have received the announcement that H.R.H. Princess Lilian has died. She was an appreciated member of the Royal House and took an active role in several events by the Parliament. As Speaker of the Parliament (Riksdagen) I wish to convey my deepest condolences to the Royal Family.

Talman Per Westerberg uttalar sig om prinsessan Lilians bortgång - riksdagen.se
Old 03-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
Prinsessan Lilian har avlidit - Nyheter | SVT.se

Also a lovely tribute:
Welsh-born Swedish Princess Lilian dead at 97 - Obituaries - Times Colonist
Thank you for that video link; the Princess did come across as very charming. Being an only child with her parents deceased, I can see how she close she must have felt to her adoptive Swedish family. It's too bad that because of their circumstances, she and Bertil had to marry so late in life and couldn't have children. But at least, as Bertil said, they had each other. What a beauty when younger, too, as well as into her advanced years.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Courtier

She was a great and also very witty lady. I will never forget the one photo of her made during an official photoshoot for the royal homepage in which she points at the camera. It was uploaded once on the RF and it is hilarious. Does anybody still have a link?
Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Just found this picture on tumblr, I think it's lovely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_mjglc5Szn61r6jme9o1_500.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	288289  
Old 03-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

According to Aftonbladet Victoria and Madeleine got the news that Lilian was close to death yesterday afternoon.
Bertil Ternert confirms to Aftonbladet, that Victoria and Madeleine arrived home yesterday afternoon from Switzerland: They came yesterday evening, they interrupted their trip and came home to Stockholm and visited Lilian. The whole royal family was with princess Lilian when she died.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article16392327.ab
Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Courtier

May she rest in peace.
I think, it is the best for her, being reliefed after this horrible illness. Now she is united again with Prince Bertil.
BYe Bine
Old 03-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

She was very, very beautiful and elegant as a young lady
Photos posted by Anabolena at Foro Dinastías :

http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/...er-619.psd.jpg

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/nr...9/plilian2.jpg

http://images.npg.org.uk/800_800/8/0/mw50180.jpg

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 03-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Gentry

According to Expressen the bells are tolled in the churches of central Stockholm tomorrow between 8.00-8.10.

Tags
death, funeral, princess lilian