The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Aristocracy

Death & Funeral of Countess Sonja Bernadotte; October 21 and 25, 2008

Countess Sonja Bernadotte died today at a clinic in Freiburg, apparently from cancer. She was only 64 years old, but had been ill for some time.

My thoughts are with her five children and three grandchildren.

Sonja Gräfin Bernadotte gestorben: Trauer auf der Blumeninsel Mainau - Menschen - Gesellschaft - FAZ.NET

Old 10-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Aristocracy

My thoughts are also with her children and granchildren.

Does someone know when and were the funeral will took place?

Old 10-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Nobility

Oh my Gosh, she died?! I just read a biography about her and thought she was alive and well. Dear Heavens, this comes so unexpected - for me, at least. She was so young!
Whatever comes, she said, cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumpf to be one all the time when no one knows it. (F.Hogdson Burnett)
Old 10-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvia❦CarlGustaf View Post
My thoughts are also with her children and granchildren.

Does someone know when and were the funeral will took place?
I am sure it will be published either tomorrow or soon in the Südkurier. As soon as I spot it, I will let you know.

In the meantime some more info on the Südkurier website:
suedkurier.de | Gräfin Sonja
Old 10-22-2008, 03:54 AM
Nobility

Will all of the Swedish Royal Family attend this funeral? Probably not?
Whatever comes, she said, cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumpf to be one all the time when no one knows it. (F.Hogdson Burnett)
Old 10-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Courtier

suedkurier.de | Konstanz trauert um Gräfin Sonja

According to this article the day of the burial has not been published so far. She will rest in the burial vault of the castle church next to her husband. Count Lennart Bernadotte was buried in silence, the celebration took place afterwards. Maybe this is an indication?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Heir Apparent

On Saturday there will be a memorial service in the castle church St. Marien for family and friends as well as representatives from the official spheres and organisations and causes close to Sonja’s heart. The funeral and burial ceremony during next week will be strictly private and for the closest family only. Countess Sonja will rest next to Lennart in the family vault.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess View Post
On Saturday there will be a memorial service in the castle church St. Marien for family and friends as well as representatives from the official spheres and organisations and causes close to Sonja’s heart. The funeral and burial ceremony during next week will be strictly private and for the closest family only. Countess Sonja will rest next to Lennart in the family vault.
suedkurier.de | Zum Abschied singt ein Kinderchor

Thanks, GrandDuchess. Please find above some more information on the memorial service. A children's choir will sing joyous songs just as she wished it. Several celebreties are expected including members of befriended aristocratic families. However, onlookers are not welcomed and the area will be widely blocked.

There surely will be a report on Saturday including pictures on the Südkurier website.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Courtier

suedkurier.de | Abschied von Gräfin Sonja - Trauerfeier in der Inselkirche

And here is the report on the memorial service. About 200 celebreties took part, but no names mentioned.

The so far only picture shows male members of the family carrying the coffin.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Gentry

The article mentions that no member of the Swedish Royal Family was present. ("Von dem schwedischen Königshaus war niemand anwesend.")
Old 10-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Courtier

And finally the pictures - all together 65:

suedkurier.de | Bildergalerien und Videos - auf suedkurier.de

#2 social minister of Baden-Württemberg: Ms. Stolz
#3 appears to be Ms. Schavan federal minister for education with unknown companion
#4+5 the Salem representatives: Prince Bernhard von Baden and his wife Stephanie plus unknown companion
#36+37+38 former prime minister of Baden-Württemberg Mr. Teufel
#39+41 general view of the siblings including spouses and other relatives
(there are of course other pics of them before, but non with all of them)
Old 10-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Photos:
Zimbio
Old 10-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

It's sad to see the family in such a heavy moment like today, Sonja was still not very old and next summer Count Björn will marry his girlfriend, so many family moments that she lost the opportunity to experience.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Courtier

This is just sad news to hear about the countess's passing and she was still fairly young too.
I send my sympathy out to her family and friends thhrough this must diffcult time.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 10-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Courtier

Were the Badens close the Mainau Bernadottes?
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by morhange View Post
Were the Badens close the Mainau Bernadottes?
Difficult to say how close they are/were, but they do have good relations and I guess they are fairly close with them just as their are with some of the other families who live in the regions close to them. Markgraf Maximilian and Markgräfin Valerie sent wreaths to the funeral and they sent three representatives to the memorial service (Hereditary Prince Bernhard with wife Stephanie and Prince Michael).

Tags
countess sonja, death, funeral, mainau, sonja bernadotte