The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Serene Highness

Have there been any comments from queen Margarethe of Denmark on the death of count Carl Johan?

Old 05-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

So sorry for the death of Count Bernadotte.
He symbolised an entire era and was a much loved member of the Swedish Royal Family.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Courtier

May he rest in peace.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

Truly the end of an era. May he rest in peace and my Condolences to the Swedish Royal Family.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm very sad to hear that Carl Johan is dead, I most certainly think we'll hear somekind of statement from the Danish Royal Family tomorrow as I think that QMII was fond of her last uncle and I generally think that the DRF had a close relationship to him (wasn't he present at the little Prince Henrik's christening?).

Old 05-07-2012, 03:38 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breffney View Post
Did he ever get to see Estelle. ? I'd like to think that he did.
I don't think he got to see Estelle, unless her parents went to visit Carl Johan. In this article, Folkkär prins blev greve - hd.se , it's mentioned that he said in a telephone interview that he hoped to go to Stockholm for the christening, but as we know it will not be so.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Maybe first grandson of the Royal Couple (no matter which one of their children will be his parent) will be named after him? It would be a nice gesture.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Nobility

Carl Johan sounded like a elderly gentleman in all interwievs with him and he sounded something even better. He sounded like the cool old man on the block that talked to everyone on the block about the old times.

He lost his title, knew why and about the consequenses and accepted this and never complained like his brother that wanted his title back. Carl Johan said that he could live more free as a nonprince than a prince.

He didnt look a day over 80 at the wedding.

Imagine if he had lived and celebrated his 100th birthday and told a 8 year old Estelle that when he grew up there wasnt any radio or TV
Old 05-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
I don't think he got to see Estelle, unless her parents went to visit Carl Johan. In this article, Folkkär prins blev greve - hd.se , it's mentioned that he said in a telephone interview that he hoped to go to Stockholm for the christening, but as we know it will not be so.
Many thanks, Meraude. And, yes, sadly he will not be there.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Not yet, I think. There are many things to consider: the christenings of princess NN of Denmark and Estelle (20th and 22nd), Frederik's and Mary's official visit to South Korea (10-15th), the Diamond Jubilee lunch of queen Elizabeth, king Carl Gustaf's and queen Silvia's state visit to South Korea (30th May-1st June). This is if everyone is going to attend the funeral.
funerals take place (usually) 3/4 days after the actual day of death.
the christenings are late May which it will not affect the funeral as well as the state visits. Mary and Frederik might not attend considering their schedule, but Carl Johan is a Swedish royal, so it is not actually necessary for Mary and Fred to attend, but i think Queen Margrethe will, after all it was her uncle^^
Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Courtier

I was just reading about him last night! He intrigued me because he was elderly and a kind of link to a time long gone. From what I read he was an interesting and honorable man, may God Rest His Soul.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:04 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
funerals take place (usually) 3/4 days after the actual day of death.
Not true for Sweden, the average time from death to funeral here is beween 16 and 22 days depending on where in Sweden you live.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:26 AM
Royal Highness

^really?? i didnt know that
Old 05-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Nobility

According to Expressen the funeral will take place in Båstad may 14. http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/bernadottes-sista-onskan/
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 05-08-2012, 05:48 AM
Nobility

The funeral service for Carl Johan Bernadotte will take place in Båstad Church on May 14:th. The casket will then be transported to Stockholm where it will be placed on lit de parade at the Royal Palace Church. A memorial service will be held there on May 15:th. He will be buried at the royal cemetery in the Haga Park outside Stockholm.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Link to the best summary of the funeral news, from Trond N. Isaksen's blog:

Trond Norén Isaksen: Carl Johan Bernadotte’s funeral to take place on 14 May
Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Nobility

The court has just confirmed that the King and the Queen, Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Prince Carl Philip will attend his funeral in Båstad on monday 14:th may.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Heir Apparent

How odd that he will not be buried beside his first wife, unless perhpas there are plans to move her body.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Prince Carl Phillip, at the inaugurated exhibition for 100 birthday of Prince Bertil, also had some words to say about Count Carl Johan.
Quote:
Before we do that, I would like to ask you to give some thoughts to Prince Bertil's brother Carl Johan Bernadotte - a person who also has meant a lot to our family and for me. Carl Johan was, like his brother, also a warm and happy person and he has now left a big gap. I also appreciated him very much and will miss him and our pleasant conversation.
Originally posted by MagMil in Prince Carl Philip current events thread.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

No official reaction from the Danish Royal Family?

Tags
funeral of count carl johan bernadotte