The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Courtier

Death and Funeral of Baron Niclas Silfverschiöld: April 11 and May 11, 2017

Niclas Silvfverschiöld passed away today, at an age of 82. Press release (so far only in swedish). Friherre Niclas Silfverschiöld har avlidit - Sveriges Kungahus

Edit: additional article in Expressen. http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/kung...chiold-ar-dod/

Old 04-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Courtier

my condolences to the princess and her family may he RIP!

Old 04-11-2017, 01:13 PM
Serene Highness

Rip :/

Only brother-in-law left is Tord.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 04-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Majesty

RIP!

Condolences to the family.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Royal Highness

RIP. A sad year for Sweden.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Courtier

Condolences to the family

http://vsemogutkoroli.blogspot.com/
Old 04-11-2017, 11:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Dana press published a gallery of baron Niclas Silfverschiöld and princess Désirée
ROYAL: Todesfall in der schwedischen Königsfamilie - Niclas Silfverschiöld ist gestorben
Old 04-12-2017, 12:55 AM
Heir Apparent

At first I didn't know who we were speaking of. I didn't realize her husband went by one of his secondary names instead of Nils. I didn't realize Nicolas wasn't the first Nicolas in the family. Like Estelle he shares a nane with someone married into the family. Though in his case, likely coincidence.

I never read much about him but I do recall pictures at weddings. He did seem older and more frail then his wife or her sisters and Tord.

Sad loss for the family. My condolences to his widow, kids and grandkids
Old 04-12-2017, 04:54 AM
Nobility

Its very sad news. Condolences to Princess Desiree and family. RIP.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Deepest condolences to the family.
RIP
Old 04-12-2017, 05:25 AM
Royal Highness

Condolences to Princess Desiree and family. Sad news.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Sad new to have heard of the passing of Baron Niclas Silvfverschiöld,may he rest in peace.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:23 AM
Majesty

The noble family Silfverschiöld has the same origin as the noble families Silfvercrantz and Von Hylthéen. The eldest progenitor is Andreas Jonae (1598-1666) who was a priest in the parish of Ölmstads, Växjö and became a member of parliament. He took the name Hyltenius, which his sons changed to Hylthéen.

This Andreas Hyltenius got three sons:
- Johan Hylthéen (progenitor of Silfvercrantz, now extinct)
- Lars Hylthéen (progenitor of Von Hylthéen, now extinct)
- Nicolas Hylthéen (progenitor of Silfverschiöld)

The third son, Nicolas Hylthéen, was ennobled in 1686 and took the surname Silfverschiöld.
In 1771 his descendant Arved Silfverschiöld (1710-1781), then President of the Göta Hovrätt (the Göta Court of Appeal), was elevated to baronial dignity. Five years later, in 1776, he was introduced into the Riddarhuset under No. 283 with the rank of Friherre (Baron) and the surame Silfverschiöld.

The late Friherre Nils-August Niclas Silfverschiöld, Princess Désirée's husband, lived at the beautiful Koberg Castle in Västergötland: picture. Together with the Princess he lived the calm life of countryside aristocracy.

Friherre Carl Otto Nils Henning Silfverschiöld (1899-1955)
x Elsa Madeleine Friherrinnan Silfverschiöld née Bennich (1906-1994)
= Nils-August

Gustaf Adolf Oscar Fredrik Arthur Edmund Bernadotte, Prince of Sweden (1906-1947)
x Sibylla Calma Marie Alice Bathildis Feodora Princess of Sweden née Prinzessin von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (1908-1972)
= Désirée

Friherre Nils-August Otto Carl Nicolas ("Niclas")
Silfverschiöld (1934-2017)
x Désirée Elisabeth Sibylla Bernadotte, Princess of Sweden, Friherrinnan Silfverschiöld (1938)
= Friherre Carl Otto Edmund
Silfverschiöld
= Christine Louise Ewa Madeleine
Silfverschiöld
= Hélène Ingeborg Sibylla
Silfverschiöld
Old 04-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Majesty

Arms of the Friherren (Barons) Silfverschiöld: picture.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen writes that as a husband of princess Désirée baron Niclas Silfverschiöld was an obvious guest at several major official events in the family - such as weddings and christenings. But in recent years he has been seen less and less at the family gatherings.
He attended at the King's 70th anniversary in April last year. Few knew was that he was already then very ill. Only last Tuesday, when he died, the court chose to tell about Silfverschiöld's illness.
- It is true that baron Niclas Silfverschiöld has died. He quietly passed away after an illness, Margareta Thorgren said.
Thorgren talks about why his illness wasn't told about earlier.
- It is something that the court has chosen not to comment at all. It is a private matter of the family and nothing that the court comments.
In the area around Koberg Castle, where Niclas Silfverschiöld lived with Princess Désirée, the death announcement was on Tuesday received with great sadness. Sidsel Cook, 74, lives opposite the castle and describes Niclas Silfverschiöld as a person with a very big heart.
- He was the greatest gentleman I've ever met. Both he and Princess Désirée have had a huge commitment for the community here that has meant a lot. He was outstanding and very empathetic, she says.
Hovet höll tyst om Niclas Silfverschiölds sjukdom _ Kungligt _ Expressen

About baron Niclas Silfverschiöld's orders and medals. He was one of the few remaining Commanders of the Order of Vasa. He was appointed May 15, 1966 by Gustaf VI Adolf. Since 1974 the order is no longer conferred: officially it has been declared as "dormant".
Niclas Silfverschiöld, 1934-2017 _ Phaleristica
Translation
Old 04-14-2017, 01:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Very sad news indeed, my condolences to Désirée and their children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
At first I didn't know who we were speaking of. I didn't realize her husband went by one of his secondary names instead of Nils. I didn't realize Nicolas wasn't the first Nicolas in the family. Like Estelle he shares a nane with someone married into the family. Though in his case, likely coincidence.
Niclas and Nicolas might have the same stem (in Nikolaos, I believe) but are pronounced very differently. They're no more alike than Elizabeth and Isabella.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Is Carl Otto Edmund Silfverschiöld now Baron Silfverschiöld? As I'm not sure what way the succession rules work for the Swedish nobility or if that's even allowed since 1975.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Condolences to Princess Desiree, her children and grandchildren.
RIP.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Is Carl Otto Edmund Silfverschiöld now Baron Silfverschiöld? As I'm not sure what way the succession rules work for the Swedish nobility or if that's even allowed since 1975.

All members of noble families share the title and style. Carl Silfvershiöld is different from his relatives only in that as head of the family he's the one who'll represent them in the House of knights.

Families raised to nobility or with titles awarded after 1809 are different in that only the head of the family and his wife are noble or carry the title.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Very sad news indeed, my condolences to Désirée and their children

Niclas and Nicolas might have the same stem (in Nikolaos, I believe) but are pronounced very differently. They're no more alike than Elizabeth and Isabella.
Actually like Isabella and Elizabeth they are very much alike.

They are simply different spellings of Nicholas. Niclas is Swedish, Nicolas is French. There are dozens of variations depending on the country.

royals recognize this. It wasn't unheard of for a princess to take the local form of her name when she married.