Death and Funeral of Baron Niclas Silfverschiöld: April 11 and May 11, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RIP!

Condolences to the family.

At first I didn't know who we were speaking of. I didn't realize her husband went by one of his secondary names instead of Nils. I didn't realize Nicolas wasn't the first Nicolas in the family. Like Estelle he shares a nane with someone married into the family. Though in his case, likely coincidence.

I never read much about him but I do recall pictures at weddings. He did seem older and more frail then his wife or her sisters and Tord.

Sad loss for the family. My condolences to his widow, kids and grandkids :flowers:

Its very sad news. Condolences to Princess Desiree and family. RIP.

Deepest condolences to the family.
RIP

Condolences to Princess Desiree and family. Sad news.

Sad new to have heard of the passing of Baron Niclas Silvfverschiöld,may he rest in peace.

The noble family Silfverschiöld has the same origin as the noble families Silfvercrantz and Von Hylthéen. The eldest progenitor is Andreas Jonae (1598-1666) who was a priest in the parish of Ölmstads, Växjö and became a member of parliament. He took the name Hyltenius, which his sons changed to Hylthéen.

This Andreas Hyltenius got three sons:
- Johan Hylthéen (progenitor of Silfvercrantz, now extinct)
- Lars Hylthéen (progenitor of Von Hylthéen, now extinct)
- Nicolas Hylthéen (progenitor of Silfverschiöld)

The third son, Nicolas Hylthéen, was ennobled in 1686 and took the surname Silfverschiöld.
In 1771 his descendant Arved Silfverschiöld (1710-1781), then President of the Göta Hovrätt (the Göta Court of Appeal), was elevated to baronial dignity. Five years later, in 1776, he was introduced into the Riddarhuset under No. 283 with the rank of Friherre (Baron) and the surame Silfverschiöld.

The late Friherre Nils-August Niclas Silfverschiöld, Princess Désirée's husband, lived at the beautiful Koberg Castle in Västergötland: picture. Together with the Princess he lived the calm life of countryside aristocracy.

Friherre Carl Otto Nils Henning Silfverschiöld (1899-1955)
x Elsa Madeleine Friherrinnan Silfverschiöld née Bennich (1906-1994)
= Nils-August

Gustaf Adolf Oscar Fredrik Arthur Edmund Bernadotte, Prince of Sweden (1906-1947)
x Sibylla Calma Marie Alice Bathildis Feodora Princess of Sweden née Prinzessin von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (1908-1972)
= Désirée

Friherre Nils-August Otto Carl Nicolas ("Niclas")
Silfverschiöld (1934-2017)
x Désirée Elisabeth Sibylla Bernadotte, Princess of Sweden, Friherrinnan Silfverschiöld (1938)
= Friherre Carl Otto Edmund
Silfverschiöld
= Christine Louise Ewa Madeleine
Silfverschiöld
= Hélène Ingeborg Sibylla
Silfverschiöld

Last edited:
Expressen writes that as a husband of princess Désirée baron Niclas Silfverschiöld was an obvious guest at several major official events in the family - such as weddings and christenings. But in recent years he has been seen less and less at the family gatherings.
He attended at the King's 70th anniversary in April last year. Few knew was that he was already then very ill. Only last Tuesday, when he died, the court chose to tell about Silfverschiöld's illness.
- It is true that baron Niclas Silfverschiöld has died. He quietly passed away after an illness, Margareta Thorgren said.
Thorgren talks about why his illness wasn't told about earlier.
- It is something that the court has chosen not to comment at all. It is a private matter of the family and nothing that the court comments.
In the area around Koberg Castle, where Niclas Silfverschiöld lived with Princess Désirée, the death announcement was on Tuesday received with great sadness. Sidsel Cook, 74, lives opposite the castle and describes Niclas Silfverschiöld as a person with a very big heart.
- He was the greatest gentleman I've ever met. Both he and Princess Désirée have had a huge commitment for the community here that has meant a lot. He was outstanding and very empathetic, she says.
Hovet höll tyst om Niclas Silfverschiölds sjukdom _ Kungligt _ Expressen

About baron Niclas Silfverschiöld's orders and medals. He was one of the few remaining Commanders of the Order of Vasa. He was appointed May 15, 1966 by Gustaf VI Adolf. Since 1974 the order is no longer conferred: officially it has been declared as "dormant".
Niclas Silfverschiöld, 1934-2017 _ Phaleristica
Translation

Very sad news indeed, my condolences to Désirée and their children :sad:

At first I didn't know who we were speaking of. I didn't realize her husband went by one of his secondary names instead of Nils. I didn't realize Nicolas wasn't the first Nicolas in the family. Like Estelle he shares a nane with someone married into the family. Though in his case, likely coincidence.

Niclas and Nicolas might have the same stem (in Nikolaos, I believe) but are pronounced very differently. They're no more alike than Elizabeth and Isabella.

Is Carl Otto Edmund Silfverschiöld now Baron Silfverschiöld? As I'm not sure what way the succession rules work for the Swedish nobility or if that's even allowed since 1975.

Condolences to Princess Desiree, her children and grandchildren.
RIP.

Is Carl Otto Edmund Silfverschiöld now Baron Silfverschiöld? As I'm not sure what way the succession rules work for the Swedish nobility or if that's even allowed since 1975.

All members of noble families share the title and style. Carl Silfvershiöld is different from his relatives only in that as head of the family he's the one who'll represent them in the House of knights.

Families raised to nobility or with titles awarded after 1809 are different in that only the head of the family and his wife are noble or carry the title.

Very sad news indeed, my condolences to Désirée and their children :sad:

Niclas and Nicolas might have the same stem (in Nikolaos, I believe) but are pronounced very differently. They're no more alike than Elizabeth and Isabella.

Actually like Isabella and Elizabeth they are very much alike.

They are simply different spellings of Nicholas. Niclas is Swedish, Nicolas is French. There are dozens of variations depending on the country.

royals recognize this. It wasn't unheard of for a princess to take the local form of her name when she married.

All members of noble families share the title and style. Carl Silfvershiöld is different from his relatives only in that as head of the family he's the one who'll represent them in the House of knights.

Families raised to nobility or with titles awarded after 1809 are different in that only the head of the family and his wife are noble or carry the title.

The Swedish House of Nobility writes that a woman of a comital or baronial house is not entitled to a noble title provided that she is unmarried or married to a commoner.

Adliga titlar : Riddarhuset

Niclas Silfverschiöld's unmarried daughter is known at court as Civilekonom Hélène Silfverschiöld, whereas her brother is known as Baron Carl Silfverschiöld.

http://www.kungahuset.se/download/1...7a2/1434094979404/150613_Gastlista_vigsel.pdf

I assume the two engagements of the King and Queen in Stockholm that day still has to be canceled, and also that they will come straight from the assumed birthday celebrations in Oslo.

Yes apparently
Helene is mentioned without her longtime partner Fredrik Dieterle
I suppose they recently split up. He was last present at prince Alexander's christening and at the christmas celebrations 2016

Last edited:
Expressen writes that the royal family arrives almost straight from the 80th birthday celebrations in Norway to the funeral of baron Niclas Silfverschiöld at Erska church in Sollebrunn.
"The royal couple, the crown princess couple and the prince couple are present at the funeral of Niclas Silfverschiöld", writes Ulrika Näsholm, information officer at the court in an email.
In addition, several of the Haga princesses - Christina, Margaretha and Birgitta - are also expected to arrive to support their sister Désirée in her sorrow.
From the beginning, the family had planned to arrange the funeral service in the family church belonging to Koberg Castle - where the family lives. However, they soon realized, that it was too small to all the guests who want to come and take goodbye.
Désirées make, Niclas Silfverschiöld begravs i Erska kyrka _ Kungligt _ Expressen

In addition, several of the Haga princesses - Christina, Margaretha and Birgitta - are also expected to arrive to support their sister Désirée in her sorrow.

Several of the Haga princesses, well it seems like it is everyone. Please Expressen...

The Royal family arrived to the funeral. Victoria and Daniel came together with Märtha Louise. Princesses Margaretha and Christina attend too with Tord Magnuson. Princess Benedikte came with her son Gustav and Madeleine Kogevinas with her partner. Princess Désirée with her family arrived last.
APA-Picturedesk

According to Expressen the royal couple, crown princess couple and prince couple came straight from Oslo with a chartered bus. Princess Märtha Louise came with them. According to Expressen also princess Birgitta is there.
EDIT: An ambulance has been called to the church right after the funeral started. The person who had a sudden attack has been taken out from the church.
Niclas Silfverschiöld – prinsessan Désirées make – begravs _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Kungafamiljen på plats – stöttar Désirée | Svensk Damtidning
http://www.svenskdam.se/2017/05/kungafamiljen-pa-plats-stottar-desiree-under-begravningen/

A lovely photo of Victoria and Märtha Louise
http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:116405964:1800x650:w?v=5912ca84&m=iagmaaom

Also Birgitta's daughter Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach and her husband Eckbert von Bohlen und Halbach were at the funeral.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Gallery
IBL Bildbyrå

Svensk Damtidning tells about the funeral that Schubert's ”Ave Maria” was played at the church and court singer Loa Falkman sang ”Så skimrande var aldrig havet”. The priest at the funeral was the former Chaplain of the Royal Court Parish and Bishop Emeritus Lars-Göran Lönnermark.
Så blev den känslofyllda begravningen av Niclas Silfverschiöld _ Svensk Damtidning

Swedish royals attend the funeral of*Niclas Silfverschiöld _ Daily Mail Online

Kunglig begravning i Sollebrunn

Dag Trygsland Hoelseth_ Funeral service for Baron Niclas Silfverschiöld

One more photo
http://image.gala.de/21365068/3x2-9...toria-prinz-daniel-carl-philip-beerdigung.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom