Celebrating the 200th Anniversary of Bernadottes: October 20, 2010 & February 5, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From Svensk Damtidning:
On February 5th, the day when Karl XIII died and his 55-year-old adopted son Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte became Sweden's new king Karl XIV Johan, the Royal family has invited a ceremonial family day in the Hall of State at Stockholm Palace and as a final, it will be an elegant reception in the Bernadotte gallery.
The royal couple and the crown princess couple will be in place to celebrate and all Bernadottes are invited. The royal family makes an entrance to the Hall of State and there will be an afternoon of music, mingle and all possible approaches to the king's ancestor.
The Nya Prinskvartetten (New Prince Quartet) plays and just before the reception begins at 17.00, the king helds a personal speech about his grandfather's grandfather's grandfather.
Kungafamiljen ska fira Bernadotte 200 år _ Svensk Damtidning

Thanks for the update, seems a bit more advanced than I thought. I wonder if foreign Bernadottes are to be expected as well, like QM2?

Thanks for the update, seems a bit more advanced than I thought. I wonder if foreign Bernadottes are to be expected as well, like QM2?

QM2 is not a Bernadotte; she is a Glūcksburg.

I know that point is controversial for Swedish posters on TRF, but one's family is determined by patrilineal descent. Estelle is a Bernadotte because Daniel legally changed his name to Bernadotte; otherwise she would be a Westling.

Some countries like Belgium, however, now allow a person to take his/her mother's maiden last name as family name.

Last edited:

I know that point is controversial for Swedish posters on TRF, but one's family is determined by patrilineal descent. Estelle is a Bernadotte because Daniel legally changed his name to Bernadotte; otherwise she would be a Westling.

Some countries like Belgium, however, now allow a person to take his/her mother's maiden last name as family name.

I guess it is a matter of cultural differences then. In my world is the descent determined by both the father and the mother, or both fathers and mothers, for that sake.

Of course she is a Glücksborg, but also a Bernadotte descent and relative, as she obviously in the past has attended the Bernadotte family gathering at Sofiero Palace, and this very same celebrations back in 2010.

Not just for Swedish posters. The bolded is something I disagree with, but I am not going to elaborate on that. I already gave my final word on it in the Succession thread.

I guess it is a matter of cultural differences then. In my world is the descent determined by both the father and the mother, or both fathers and mothers, for that sake.

Of course she is a Glücksborg, but also a Bernadotte descent and relative, as she obviously in the past has attended the Bernadotte family gathering at Sofiero Palace, and this very same celebrations back in 2010.

In general I wonder whether men have often changed their last names to the one of their wife simply to "be part of that family" (and with subsequent motivation to secure the succession).

In Sweden you're allowed to take the name of any of your parents no matter what gender they have. Estelle could've carried the name Bernadotte even if Daniel had remained a Westling.

In most parts of the world, last-name or surname or family name comes from the father.
Children take their mother's name when it is a single mother.
But a man taking his wife's name is strange, for whatever reason.

In most parts of the world, last-name or surname or family name comes from the father.
In Sweden its quite common for married couples to either take the wife's surname or take an all new surname especially if the groom has one of the common -son surnames. Many brides also chose to keep their old surname. When it comes to children they automatically, if nothing else has been reported to the tax office, get the surname of their birthmother even if she's married or not. Meaning that even if Daniel had kept his surname Estelle & Oscar would still be Bernadottes because that's their mothers surname (when she uses one).

It is not a strange thing in Sweden or Finland. In Sweden a man since 1983 has been able to take his wife's family name and in Finland since 1986. In 2015 about 10 per cent of swedish men took their wife's family name.
Så många män tar kvinnans namn när de gifter sig _ Metro

One of the most well-known couples in Sweden a man taking his wife's name is athletes Patrik Kristiansson and Carolina Klüft. Since they got married in 2007, Patrik has been Patrik Klüft.

I look forward to seeing it. Will the RF wear orders/ tiaras and will the Crown and other regalia be on display ?

I doubt that they wear tiaras, because according to the court's calendar they have a seminar before the reception.

Last edited:

This is exactly what I am used to and where my opinion is based on.

Svensk Damtidning wrote yesterday that Madeleine will not be in Sweden on 5th February.
- Yes, that's right. The Princess is unable to attend.
In connection with the Nobel Banquet, she was suffering from pain in her back due to her pregnancy. How is she now?
- It is true that every pregnancy is unique in different ways. But the princess is feeling good. Right now she is in London.
Madeleine missar familjefirandet _ Svensk Damtidning

Svensk Damtidning writes about the "Bernadotte 200 years" day on Monday, that the royal couple and crown princess couple arrive to the seminar at the Hall of State at 13.00, and the reception begins at 17.00. Carl Philip and Sofia aren't attending, they will be still in South Africa.

Celebrating the 200-year anniversary of Bernadotte's going ashore in Helsingborg

Denmark
Present will be Her Majesty Queen Margrethe & HRH Princess Benedikte of Denmark,

Sweden
HM King Carl Gustaf, HM Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria, HRH Prince Daniel and HRH Prince Carl Philip.

In connection with the celebration of the 200-year anniversary of the Swedish throne Bernadotte's going ashore in Sweden and entry into the Swedish royal family, there will be events associated with the celebration of urban Elsinore and Helsingborg on 20 October 2010.

Source: Konghuset

:previous:

I'd be surprised if any royals from other houses attended. The best guide prior to the event would be to look at the 2005 Bernadotte Family Reunion, which was attended by the Swedes, the Danes and I think Queen Anne-Marie with some of her family. I'd venture to say that Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte are only attending the anniversary because they are close relations to the Swedes through their mother, the former Princess Ingrid of Sweden (a Bernadotte).

I wonder why King Harald of Norway and King Albert of Belgium were not at the 2010 anniversary at Helsingborg or the Bernadotte family reunion at Sofiero Palace? They, too, had Bernadotte mothers.

Princess Märtha - Sveriges Kungahus
Princess Astrid - Sveriges Kungahus

On 5th February 1818 king Karl XIII passed away and Jean Baptiste Bernadotte became King Karl XIV Johan, and the reign of the Bernadotte Dynasty began.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BezriRdnMiL/?taken-by=kungahuset

King Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia, Victoria, Daniel, princess Christina and Tord Magnuson and other members of the Bernadotte dynasty at a seminar "200 years of the Bernadotte Dynasty" at the Royal Palace. Also members of the "official Sweden" attend at the seminar. The Speaker of the Parliament attends and the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, and some ministers.
Belga Image
REX gallery
Så firar kungafamiljen ätten Bernadotte 200 år _ Svensk Damtidning
https://www.instagram.com/p/Be0F-M4l-GX/?taken-at=649028
https://www.instagram.com/p/Be0WejShhMX/?tagged=bernadotte200år

"The Marshal of the Realm Svante Lindqvist starts in the Hall of State seminar Bernadotte 200 years on Sweden's throne. He does it with the exciting story of how - and all coincidences on the way - the dynasty came to Sweden's throne."

At this photo we can see Madeleine Bernadotte Kogevinas and Bernard Mach. Dagmar von Arbin (101 years) sits beside Madeleine and Dagmar's sister Catharina Nilert sits beside her.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Be0FmPenQ-U/?tagged=bernadotte

Countess Marianne Bernadotte
https://api.profimedia.com/data/large-preview/4/0/0362350643/profimedia-0362350643.jpg
At this photo we can see Tord Magnuson, princess Christina, countess Marianne Bernadotte, count Bertil Bernadotte and countess Jill Bernadotte sitting behind the royal family. Behind Jill and Bertil Bernadotte sit countess Bettina and count Björn Bernadotte from Mainau.
https://api.profimedia.com/data/large-preview/4/0/0362351330/profimedia-0362351330.jpg

Gallery
Profimedia

"Queen Desideria" singing in the Hall of State.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Be0yEcLHos0/?taken-at=649028

ROYAL: Carl Gustaf, Silvia, Victoria und Daniel feiern 200. Jahre Bernadotte-Dynastie

Last edited:
During Monday a special year to the royal family was inaugurated. It is 200 years from the day when the Bernadotte dynasty came to the swedish throne.
It was noted with a seminar at the Palace, organized by the court, in the presence of the royal couple and the crown princess couple.
Experts shared different historical perspectives to Karl XIV Johan's time on the throne and how his vision today characterizes the work of the Bernadottes.
Such as the environmental commitment and commitment to natural science, which have always been a common thread for the Bernadotte's various regents.
For 44 of these 200 years, king Carl XVI Gustaf, has been sitting on the throne.
He concluded the afternoon's program, which took place in the Hall of Stete, by reminding of the history that he and his co-workers at the court are reminded.
- The Hall of State, yes the entire Royal Palace, is a historical place. We are often reminded, we who have the privilege of having the palace as a workplace. And not least today, when we pay attention to the demise that took place just 200 years ago. When Crown Prince Karl Johan became King Karl XIV Johan, he said in his speech.
The king also told how the seminar's program was an example of something he always sought.
- My wish is that the palace should also be a living place, a place for conversation. A link between our history and our present time. I dare to believe that it would also have been my ancestor Karl XIV Johan's wish.
Kungens tal om sin förfader_ ”Vågar tro” _ Kungligt _ Expressen

The court tells at it's article about the program of the seminar, which the 300 guests got to listen.The experts, many from the court's staff, told about the Bernadottes with a many-sided program.
Kungaparet och Kronprinsessparet vid Ätten Bernadotte 200 år på Sveriges tron - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

The king said in his speech:
"But keep in mind that we are actually only in the beginning of this year of celebration. There are many exciting program items to come. For example, The Royal Academy of Music hosts a concert and discussion evening here in the Hall of State on the theme "The Bernadotte dynasty and the music". In October, I will reinaugurate the fine Bernadotte museum in French Pau, where my ancestor was born. And so we hope that Karl XIV Johan's equestrian statue will eventually get its permanent place here at Slottsbacken with inauguration on November 4th. So, yes, we really have a lot to look forward to!"
H.M. Konungens avslutningsord vid ”Ätten Bernadotte 200 år på Sveriges tron”, Rikssalen, Kungliga slottet, måndagen den 5 februari 2018 - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

"An afternoon of lectures and music in the Hall of State at Stockholm Palace, because it was two hundred years since Carl XIV Johan came to the throne. Cold and hard benches, but actually really interesting."
https://www.instagram.com/p/Be0sD-sHyfP/?taken-by=bjorn_melander

According to the press, the reception after the seminar was private.

Last edited:
Bernadottet 200 vuotta! Kruununprinsessa Victoria edusti valkoisessa pitsiunelmassa – Kaarle Kustaa piti tunteellisen puheen - Kuninkaalliset - Ilta-Sanomat
Victoria edusti H&M_n pitsipaidassa ja kapeassa kynähameessa
Sverige är välsignat – 200 år med Bernadotte _ Aftonbladet
Bildextra_ Glada kungliga miner vid seminariet _Bernadotte 200 år_

In connection with the 200th anniversary of the Bernadotte Dynasty, a commemorative medal has been produced.
The medal is a table medal in silvered brass and measures 43 mm in diameter. The portraits of Karl XIV Johan and Carl XVI Gustaf have been sculpted by Ernst Nordin.
The medal is, among other things, shared in conjunction with the Bernadotte year's various program activities and is also available for sale in the Royal Gift Shop from 6 February and costs SEK 350.
The text on the side of the medal reads: Ätten Bernadotte på Sveriges tron 200 år 1818–2018 (The Bernadotte Dynasty on Sweden's throne 200 years 1818-2018). The medal is produced by Svenska Medalj and it is not an official medal.
Bernadotte 200 år – minnesmedaljen - Sveriges Kungahus

Ätten Bernadotte firar 200 år på tronen _ Hovbloggen

Part of the invitation to the event
https://www.instagram.com/p/Be3B0tPhi3T/?tagged=bernadotte200

GRAFIKBILDSPEL_ Bernadotte - 200 år på tronen

Vicky Andrén Magnuson posts about the celebration at her Instagram
"Honoring lovely royal family Bernadotte now 200 amazing years on the throne‼️ with a wonderful supper at the palace this evening."
https://www.instagram.com/p/Be1TdI1lYv-/?hl=fi&taken-by=vickyandren

Last edited by a moderator:
Svensk Damtidning writes about the celebration of Bernadotte 200 years on 5th February.

In the evening was a family dinner for 30 people. Among them princess Christina and Tord Magnuson, count Björn and countess Bettina Bernadotte, countess Marianne Bernadotte, count Bertil and countess Jill Bernadotte, count Michael Bernadotte, siblings Dagmar von Arbin, Catharina Nilert and count Oscar Bernadotte, Madeleine Kogevinas, countess Monica Bonde (daughter of count Carl Johan Bernadotte), Christina Bernadotte (daughter of Oscar Bernadotte) and count Claes and countess Birgitta Bernadotte (Claes is the halfbrother of Dagmar von Arbin, Catharina Nilert and Oscar Bernadotte).
At the menu were dishes of three kings:
Karl Johan's mushroom soup
Veal fillet Oscar II
Gustaf VI Adolf' s Crépes Suzette
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Last edited:
Kungliga Magasinet's article about Bernadotte 200 years, it tells about Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, his history and how he became the king of Sweden.

From Twitter of the Embassy of Sweden in France:
In the footsteps of Jean-Bapiste Bernadotte to prepare the visit of the Royal Couple and Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel on October 8, 2018 in Pau to celebrate the bicentennial of Bernadotte on the Swedish throne.

King Carl Gustaf has previously told that he and queen Silvia are going to Pau, but according to this, also Victoria and Daniel will be there.

From Twitter of the Embassy of Sweden in France:
In the footsteps of Jean-Bapiste Bernadotte to prepare the visit of the Royal Couple and Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel on October 8, 2018 in Pau to celebrate the bicentennial of Bernadotte on the Swedish throne.

King Carl Gustaf has previously told that he and queen Silvia are going to Pau, but according to this, also Victoria and Daniel will be there.

The court updated the calendar and it confirms that king Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia, crown princess Victoria and prince Daniel attend at Bernadotte 200 years celebration at Musée Bernadotte in Pau, France on 8th October.
Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:
King Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia, crown princess Victoria and prince Daniel visit on Monday 8th October Pau in connection with the Bernadotte dynasty's 200th jubilee.
The royals arrive to the Musée Bernadotte at 10.30.
King Carl Gustaf inaugurates the restorated Musée Bernadotte at 10.45. After that the royals visit the Pau City Hall, where the mayor hosts a reception. At 15.15 king Carl Gustaf plants an oak tree at Beaumont Park, at the very same place where Oscar II planted a magnolia on 11th April 1899. The crown princess gives a speech at this event.
Bicentenaire de l’accession de Bernadotte au trône de Suède*_ la famille royale à Pau lundi prochain - Sud Ouest.fr

Painter Hyacinthe DesJars de Keranroue at work in his studio on September 19, 2018 in Morlaix, France. He is currently working on pieces for the Swedish royal family which he will present to them at the Bernadotte Museum in France on October 8, 2018.
Artist Hyacinthe Desjars De Keranroue _ Photo Session In Morlaix Pictures and Photos _ Getty Images

Last edited:
Expressen writes about the Bernadotte dynasty's 200th jubilee celebration in Pau tomorrow, that Victoria and Daniel arrive straight from a private weekend in Biarritz in southwestern France. King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia fly from Sweden.
Monday's visit will be the highlight of the Bernadotte year in Pau. The small family house has undergone a thorough renovation and has been made more accessible. The municipality and a local bank have sponsored. New slide shows in both French and Swedish will attract more tourists.
Until the last moment, is it unknown if the royal couple will bring new items to the collection as a gift? Just as it is not known if they get gifts from the city of Pau?
There will not be a gala evening for the Bernadotte family in their hometown. The program is too short for that, but there will be a lunch hosted by mayor François Bayrou.
Kungafamiljen på besök iätten Bernadottes hemstad Pau

King Carl Gustaf and quewn Silvia have given an interview to Stéphane Bern/Le Figaro.
Carl Gustaf et Silvia de Suède_ «Depuis Bernadotte, notre pays a choisi le camp de la paix»

Le roi Carl Gustav XVI arrive à Pau pour célébrer le bicentenaire de l’accession au trône de son ancêtre béarnais. Le Danemark a aussi du sang pyrénéen… - PresseLib

Last edited:
Thank you, LadyFinn and iceflower.

How is Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte viewed by the French?

It appears the king does not speak French; why did he deliver his speech in English and not Swedish?

Is there a photograph of the adoption certificate that is being donated to the Musée Bernadotte?

Victoria och Daniel firade släktingen med kungaparet – i Frankrike* _ Svensk Damtidning

From Twitter of the Embassy of Sweden in France
Opening Ceremony of the Bicentenary of the Bernadotte Dynasty on the Swedish throne: speech by François Bayrou, Mayor of @Ville_Pau.
King Carl XVI Gustaf at @Ville_Pau: "Our countries are linked in many areas. In fact, we signed an agreement on innovation. There is a dialogue and permanent exchanges between our countries but also a deep friendship, which will last for centuries!
At the Embassy's Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/Boqrs0NF58T/?taken-by=suedeenfrance

From this video at the Embassy's Instagram, we can see, that countess Marianne Bernadotte is also there.

From Twitter of Ville de Pau, from the reception
Nice photo of Victoria

https://twitter.com/pascalgiraud_fr/status/1049272165382672385
https://www.instagram.com/p/Boq-TdNnzbr/?tagged=igerspau

Le roi de Suède plante un chêne à Pau pour honorer son ancêtre Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte - France 3 Nouvelle-Aquitaine

King Carl Gustaf's speech at the inauguration (english)
H.M. Konungens tal vid återinvigning av Bernadottemuseet, Pau, Frankrike, måndagen den 8 oktober 2018 - Sveriges Kungahus

King Carl Gustaf's speech at the Town House (english)
H.M. Konungens tal i rådhuset vid besök till Pau, Frankrike, måndagen den 8 oktober 2018 - Sveriges Kungahus

Countess Marianne Bernadotte and Mats Nilsson, First Marshal of the Court
https://api.profimedia.com/data/large-preview/4/0/0390274621/profimedia-0390274621.jpg

Cute
https://api.profimedia.com/data/large-preview/4/0/0390285776/profimedia-0390285776.jpg

https://twitter.com/Queen_Gladys_/status/1049318602829119488
https://twitter.com/F_Paillanave/status/1049250654794002433
https://twitter.com/F_Paillanave/status/1049258303539355653
https://twitter.com/F_Paillanave/status/1049318468108075008

Video, part of Victoria's speech at the tree planting ceremony
https://twitter.com/SuedeenFR/status/1049345038352883713
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGtLKoWPp9E https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVo0r8HeFyE

The City of Pau gave a gift to princess Estelle: a cut of magnolia planted in 1899 by King Oscar.
https://api.profimedia.com/data/large-preview/4/0/0390303856/profimedia-0390303856.jpg

Victoria said at her speech:
Thank you for the beautiful gift. This magnolia plant may still be small. But it holds great significance as a symbol of the shared history of our two countries.
Cut from the tree that King Oscar II planted here 119 years ago, it is a living link between the past, the present and the future.
I look very much forward to bringing this gift home to my daughter, Princess Estelle, and to help her plant it in the garden of our home.
There, at the Haga palace, it will stand to remind her of her family history and of the long-standing friendship between France and Sweden. (...).
I look forward to the day when I will return. I can’t wait to show this beautiful place to our daughter, Princess Estelle, and her younger brother, Prince Oscar.
H.K.H. Kronprinsessans tal i Parc Beaumont i samband med besök till Pau, Frankrike, måndagen den 8 oktober 2018 - Sveriges Kungahus

The King, Queen, Crown Princess and Prince Daniel visited Pau in southern France. In the city, Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, born 200 years ago, became the king of Sweden and Norway under the name of Karl XIV Johan.
The King reinaugurated the newly renovated Bernadotte Museum (Musée Bernadotte), located in the house where Jean Baptiste Bernadotte was born in 1763. In connection with the reincarnation, the King left a gift in the form of a copy of Karl XIV Johan's adoptive act. After that, a guided tour of the museum was held by the museum manager Aurore Méchain.
The mayor of Pau, François Bayrou, welcomed the royal couple and the Crown Princess couple. In the city hall they also had the opportunity to meet the city's elected politicians and other invited guests.
In the afternoon, they visited castle Château de Pau where Henrik IV was born in 1553.
At the end of the day, the King, Queen, Crown Princess and Prince Daniel went to Parc Beaumont, which also Oskar II visited in the late 19th century. When Oskar II visited the park, he planted a magnolia, and upon this visit, the king took a symbolic delve of spade for an oak planted in the same place.
Kungaparet och Kronprinsessparet besökte Pau - Sveriges Kungahus

Court Instagram, includes short clips of Victoria's speech and the king planting the oak.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoruMLonAsD/?taken-by=kungahuset

Besides countess Marianne Bernadotte, also countess Bettina Bernadotte was in Pau, here we can see her behind queen Silvia.
https://api.profimedia.com/data/large-preview/4/0/0390289238/profimedia-0390289238.jpg

And here we can see countess Jill and count Bertil Bernadotte between Victoria and queen Silvia.
https://api.profimedia.com/data/large-preview/4/0/0390292079/profimedia-0390292079.jpg

By Stella Pictures
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=94c43b239c12e4c59c04a52b6c29e40c&oe=5C50CC7A
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=8cf438affd31f69a6c4b017eaa7e9287&oe=5C559D54

From ParisMatch
Retour sur la visite à Pau de la famille royale de Suède en 25 photos

From twitter of Veronika Wand-Danielsson, ambassador of Sweden to France
A beautiful day at @Ville_Pau ends for the # Sweden royal family in the footsteps of their ancestor Jean Baptiste Bernadotte. A big thank you to the managers of the #Bernadotte museum and especially to @bayrou for his great generosity!

Gallery with over 200 photos
Profimedia

The new inauguration of the Bernardotte Museum of Southern France in Pau became a royal family party.
But not only for the Swedish royal family.
Seventeen French cousins ​​attended at the event.
Kungens och Silvias möte med utländska familjen
Translation

HQ photos from court pressroom, by Sara Friberg.
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...Pau_1Foto_Sara_Friberg_Kungl_Hovstaterna.jpeg
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...Pau_2Foto_Sara_Friberg_Kungl_Hovstaterna.jpeg
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...Pau_3Foto_Sara_Friberg_Kungl_Hovstaterna.jpeg
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...Pau_7Foto_Sara_Friberg_Kungl_Hovstaterna.jpeg
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...Pau_4Foto_Sara_Friberg_Kungl_Hovstaterna.jpeg
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20..._Pau_5Foto_Sara_Friberg_Kungl_Hovstaterna.JPG
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20..._Pau_6Foto_Sara_Friberg_Kungl_Hovstaterna.jpg
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...Pau_8Foto_Sara_Friberg_Kungl_Hovstaterna.jpeg

Fint firande i Frankrike till minne av kungens anfader Jean Baptiste Bernadotte GalaMagazine

Victorias släktkalas med historiska anor _ Stoppa Pressarna

Visite officielle de la famille royale de Suède à Pau _ Ville de Pau

Gallery from Facebook of Ville de Pau
Visite officielle de la famille royale de Suède à Pau _ Facebook

Victoria and Daniel
https://www.instagram.com/p/BozBRXTj4w7/?taken-by=expressenkungligt

The royal court has published this video today at their Youtube channel
On Monday, October 8, the King, Queen, Crown Princess and Prince Daniel visited Pau in southern France. In the city was born Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, who 200 years ago became the king of Sweden and Norway under the name of Karl XIV Johan.

Last edited:
Event updated to the calendar of the royal family today:

Sunday 16th December
Inauguration of Karl XIV Johan statue on Slottsbacken
The king, the queen, the crown princess, prince Daniel, prince Carl Philip, princess Sofia
Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus

Grand final
The year marking the 200th jubilee of the Bernadotte dynasty will draw to a close in style, with a grand finale. The King and Queen and The Crown Princess Couple will attend the re-dedication of an equestrian statue of King Karl XIV Johan on Slottsbacken, after which they will be hosting an open evening at the Royal Palace of Stockholm with free entry.
The re-dedication of the statue on Slottsbacken will be accompanied by music composed for the original unveiling of the statue in 1854, performed by the Army Music Corps and the Stockholm Student Singers. The palace façade facing Slottsbacken will be illuminated to mark the occasion.
The Bernadotte Apartments: open during the evening
After the re-dedication ceremony, The King will open the palace gates and welcome visitors to the Bernadotte Apartments, which will be open during the evening. The grand rooms of the Bernadotte Apartments are home to a portrait gallery of the Bernadotte dynasty. For one evening only, visitors can enter the rooms of the palace via the East Gate, which is not normally open to the public. There will also be free entry to the Bernadotte Apartments during the evening.
Re-dedication of the equestrian statue
Following the death of King Karl XIV Johan, King Oskar I commissioned an equestrian statue depicting the entry of the crown prince into Stockholm in 1810. The statue was unveiled in 1854 at Slussen. In connection with the rebuilding of the Slussen area, the statue has been moved to the Royal Palace of Stockholm, where it has been renovated and is now ready to be re-dedicated.
The re-dedication ceremony will take place from 16:00 until approximately 16:30 on Slottsbacken.
King Karl XIV Johan on Slottsbacken - Kungliga slotten

Last edited:
The royal family attends today at final event of the 200th jubilee of the Bernadotte dynasty, when the king re-dedicates the statue of King Karl XIV Johan on Slottsbacken at 16.00.

At King Karl XIV Johan's death in 1844 King Oskar I decided that a statue was to be made to the Bernadotte ancestor. The assignment went to sculptor Bengt Erland Fogelberg and the statue was unveiled at Slussen in 1854.
When the King now inaugurates the newly placed statue on Slottsbacken, it has received a new granite base and added inscriptions to mark that the Bernadotte Dynasty has been 200 years on the Swedish throne.
H.M. Konungen inviger Karl XIV Johan-statyn på Slottsbacken - Sveriges Kungahus

Court Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrXhHVPlDyG/

Last edited:
How is Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte viewed by the French?

Per an interview with Bertil Bernadotte, he is still viewed as a traitor.

[...]

Victoria said at her speech:
Thank you for the beautiful gift. This magnolia plant may still be small. But it holds great significance as a symbol of the shared history of our two countries.
Cut from the tree that King Oscar II planted here 119 years ago, it is a living link between the past, the present and the future.
I look very much forward to bringing this gift home to my daughter, Princess Estelle, and to help her plant it in the garden of our home.
There, at the Haga palace, it will stand to remind her of her family history and of the long-standing friendship between France and Sweden. (...).
I look forward to the day when I will return. I can’t wait to show this beautiful place to our daughter, Princess Estelle, and her younger brother, Prince Oscar.

[...]

It is nice to see that, 200 years later, the link between the royal Bernadottes and their family's place of origin is flourishing. Perhaps the Crown Princess was motivated to study French in honor of her family history.

Seventeen French cousins ​​attended at the event.
Kungens och Silvias möte med utländska familjen
Translation

In what way are the French Bernadottes related to the Swedish branch?

The royal family attends today at final event of the 200th jubilee of the Bernadotte dynasty, when the king re-dedicates the statue of King Karl XIV Johan on Slottsbacken at 16.00.

At King Karl XIV Johan's death in 1844 King Oskar I decided that a statue was to be made to the Bernadotte ancestor. The assignment went to sculptor Bengt Erland Fogelberg and the statue was unveiled at Slussen in 1854.
When the King now inaugurates the newly placed statue on Slottsbacken, it has received a new granite base and added inscriptions to mark that the Bernadotte Dynasty has been 200 years on the Swedish throne.
H.M. Konungen inviger Karl XIV Johan-statyn på Slottsbacken - Sveriges Kungahus

Court Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrXhHVPlDyG/

I wonder whether Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte himself expected his dynasty to remain on the throne for this long ...

Last edited:
The re-dedication of the statue of king Karl XIV Johan on Slottsbacken. The weather was windy, rainy and cold.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrdCv-EAMO3/

Galleries
Belga Image
ROYAL: Die schwedische Königsfamilie bei der Enthüllung der Statue von Karl XIV Johan in Stockholm

Photographer Pelle T Nilsson's Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrdJfiOhRzG/

King Carl Gustaf said in his speech:
This year it is 200 years since Crown Prince Karl Johan, born Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, rose up on the Swedish throne as King Karl XIV Johan.
This has been highlighted in various ways during the past year. And it is a great pleasure for me today to inaugurate his statue in its new location, here on Slottsbacken. After 164 years at Slussen Karl Johan is now back at the castle where he lived and worked.
H.M. Konungens tal vid återinvigning av Karl XIV Johans ryttarstaty, Slottsbacken, söndagen den 16 december 2018 - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom