The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 11-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Esmerelda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,215
Video from ZDF:
ZDF Royal - ZDFmediathek - ZDF Mediathek
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-25-2010, 02:42 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 25,901
Festligheterna avslutas på Gamlegården - hd.se
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-29-2010, 02:32 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 25,901
Opening of the art exhibition: "The Art of Becoming King - From Jean Baptiste Bernadotte to Karl XIV Johan"
Helsingborgs stad - Konsten att bli kung
Helsingborgs stad - Konsten att bli kung
Helsingborgs stad - Konsten att bli kung
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-06-2011, 03:38 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 25,901
Video
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-21-2017, 10:42 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 25,901
A couple of photos of Victoria and Daniel by Helsingborgs Bild AB
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kristianstad, Sweden
Posts: 744
On 5th February 2018 it is 200 years ago since Karl Johan became King Karl XIV Johan, and the reign of the Bernadotte Dynasty began. It doesn't seem like the anniversary will be vastly celebrated, compared to the celebrations of the election back in 2010.

However, a seminar will be held on the very same day, 5th February, in the Hall of State at the Royal Palace of Stockholm to mark the anniversary. In the calendar the King, Queen, Crown Princess and Prince Daniel are set to attend.

Calendar - Sveriges Kungahus
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-07-2018, 11:55 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 25,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
On 5th February 2018 it is 200 years ago since Karl Johan became King Karl XIV Johan, and the reign of the Bernadotte Dynasty began. It doesn't seem like the anniversary will be vastly celebrated, compared to the celebrations of the election back in 2010.

However, a seminar will be held on the very same day, 5th February, in the Hall of State at the Royal Palace of Stockholm to mark the anniversary. In the calendar the King, Queen, Crown Princess and Prince Daniel are set to attend.

Calendar - Sveriges Kungahus
About "Bernadotte 200 years" at the court website and at the program of the events in 2018
Bernadotte 200 years
During 2018, it is 200 years since Karl XIV Johan accessed the Swedish throne and we are therefore paying attention to the whole Bernadotte Dynasty. At the Royal Palace, the anniversary is celebrated with the theme of Bernadotte in many of the program items.
Art and humanities are put in focus in interesting lectures on the Bernadotte design heritage until today, a close-up of Prince Eugen, an exclusive view of Oscar II's writing room and a view of the empire's magnificent interior details found in Grand Guest Apartments.
The musical Bernadottes are highlighted by concerts at the Palaces and in the Riddarholm church, through a lecture of the singer prince Gustav and a concert in the Bernadotte Library, with works by Beethoven, a composer whom Karl XIV Johan appreciated.
The spring offers evening showings at the Rosendal Palace and Gustav III's pavilion in the HagaÅpark and a new thematic audioguide at the Bernadotte Apartments at the Royal Palace. Throughout the year, various activities are offered for families with children and schools that attach to the Bernardotte Dynasty, the one which has been for the longest time on Sweden's throne. Through our popular wedding showing, the visitors get to know the Bernadotte love stories.
Presentation av programåret - Sveriges Kungahus

A commemorative medal highlights that the Bernadotte Dynasty has been at the swedish throne for 200 years. Ernst Nordin has carved the portraits of Karl XIV Johan and Carl XVI Gustaf to the medal. It will be given to the people who work and perform in connection of the program events this year, and it will be also sold at the Royal Gift Shops. It is not an official medal.
Program 2018
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-07-2018, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 3,318
It is quite amazing, especially for those of us who were born in republics, to see how the history of a country can partially overlap with the history of a particular family , but I suppose that is inherent to any hereditary monarchy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-12-2018, 09:35 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 25,901
From Svensk Damtidning:
On February 5th, the day when Karl XIII died and his 55-year-old adopted son Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte became Sweden's new king Karl XIV Johan, the Royal family has invited a ceremonial family day in the Hall of State at Stockholm Palace and as a final, it will be an elegant reception in the Bernadotte gallery.
The royal couple and the crown princess couple will be in place to celebrate and all Bernadottes are invited. The royal family makes an entrance to the Hall of State and there will be an afternoon of music, mingle and all possible approaches to the king's ancestor.
The Nya Prinskvartetten (New Prince Quartet) plays and just before the reception begins at 17.00, the king helds a personal speech about his grandfather's grandfather's grandfather.
Kungafamiljen ska fira Bernadotte 200 år _ Svensk Damtidning
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 3,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
From Svensk Damtidning:
On February 5th, the day when Karl XIII died and his 55-year-old adopted son Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte became Sweden's new king Karl XIV Johan, the Royal family has invited a ceremonial family day in the Hall of State at Stockholm Palace and as a final, it will be an elegant reception in the Bernadotte gallery.
The royal couple and the crown princess couple will be in place to celebrate and all Bernadottes are invited. The royal family makes an entrance to the Hall of State and there will be an afternoon of music, mingle and all possible approaches to the king's ancestor.
The Nya Prinskvartetten (New Prince Quartet) plays and just before the reception begins at 17.00, the king helds a personal speech about his grandfather's grandfather's grandfather.
Kungafamiljen ska fira Bernadotte 200 år _ Svensk Damtidning
.


I look forward to seeing it. Will the RF wear orders/ tiaras and will the Crown and other regalia be on display ?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kristianstad, Sweden
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
From Svensk Damtidning:
On February 5th, the day when Karl XIII died and his 55-year-old adopted son Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte became Sweden's new king Karl XIV Johan, the Royal family has invited a ceremonial family day in the Hall of State at Stockholm Palace and as a final, it will be an elegant reception in the Bernadotte gallery.
The royal couple and the crown princess couple will be in place to celebrate and all Bernadottes are invited. The royal family makes an entrance to the Hall of State and there will be an afternoon of music, mingle and all possible approaches to the king's ancestor.
The Nya Prinskvartetten (New Prince Quartet) plays and just before the reception begins at 17.00, the king helds a personal speech about his grandfather's grandfather's grandfather.
Kungafamiljen ska fira Bernadotte 200 år _ Svensk Damtidning
Thanks for the update, seems a bit more advanced than I thought. I wonder if foreign Bernadottes are to be expected as well, like QM2?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 3,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
Thanks for the update, seems a bit more advanced than I thought. I wonder if foreign Bernadottes are to be expected as well, like QM2?
QM2 is not a Bernadotte; she is a Glūcksburg.

I know that point is controversial for Swedish posters on TRF, but one's family is determined by patrilineal descent. Estelle is a Bernadotte because Daniel legally changed his name to Bernadotte; otherwise she would be a Westling.

Some countries like Belgium, however, now allow a person to take his/her mother's maiden last name as family name.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kristianstad, Sweden
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
QM2 is not a Bernadotte; she is a Glūcksburg.

I know that point is controversial for Swedish posters on TRF, but one's family is determined by patrilineal descent. Estelle is a Bernadotte because Daniel legally changed his name to Bernadotte; otherwise she would be a Westling.

Some countries like Belgium, however, now allow a person to take his/her mother's maiden last name as family name.
I guess it is a matter of cultural differences then. In my world is the descent determined by both the father and the mother, or both fathers and mothers, for that sake.

Of course she is a Glücksborg, but also a Bernadotte descent and relative, as she obviously in the past has attended the Bernadotte family gathering at Sofiero Palace, and this very same celebrations back in 2010.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-12-2018, 10:38 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
QM2 is not a Bernadotte; she is a Glūcksburg.
I know that point is controversial for Swedish posters on TRF, but one's family is determined by patrilineal descent. Estelle is a Bernadotte because Daniel legally changed his name to Bernadotte; otherwise she would be a Westling.

Some countries like Belgium, however, now allow a person to take his/her mother's maiden last name as family name.
Not just for Swedish posters. The bolded is something I disagree with, but I am not going to elaborate on that. I already gave my final word on it in the Succession thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
I guess it is a matter of cultural differences then. In my world is the descent determined by both the father and the mother, or both fathers and mothers, for that sake.

Of course she is a Glücksborg, but also a Bernadotte descent and relative, as she obviously in the past has attended the Bernadotte family gathering at Sofiero Palace, and this very same celebrations back in 2010.
In general I wonder whether men have often changed their last names to the one of their wife simply to "be part of that family" (and with subsequent motivation to secure the succession).
__________________
27 juni 2014: förlovning av Prins Carl Philip av Sverige och fröken Sofia Hellqvist
27th November, 2017: engagement of Prince Harry of the United Kingdom and Ms. Meghan Markle

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-12-2018, 10:59 AM
JR76's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
QM2 is not a Bernadotte; she is a Glūcksburg.

I know that point is controversial for Swedish posters on TRF, but one's family is determined by patrilineal descent. Estelle is a Bernadotte because Daniel legally changed his name to Bernadotte; otherwise she would be a Westling.

Some countries like Belgium, however, now allow a person to take his/her mother's maiden last name as family name.
In Sweden you're allowed to take the name of any of your parents no matter what gender they have. Estelle could've carried the name Bernadotte even if Daniel had remained a Westling.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-12-2018, 05:00 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 105
In most parts of the world, last-name or surname or family name comes from the father.
Children take their mother's name when it is a single mother.
But a man taking his wife's name is strange, for whatever reason.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-12-2018, 06:16 PM
JR76's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
In most parts of the world, last-name or surname or family name comes from the father.
Children take their mother's name when it is a single mother.
But a man taking his wife's name is strange, for whatever reason.
In Sweden its quite common for married couples to either take the wife's surname or take an all new surname especially if the groom has one of the common -son surnames. Many brides also chose to keep their old surname. When it comes to children they automatically, if nothing else has been reported to the tax office, get the surname of their birthmother even if she's married or not. Meaning that even if Daniel had kept his surname Estelle & Oscar would still be Bernadottes because that's their mothers surname (when she uses one).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-13-2018, 02:46 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 25,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
In most parts of the world, last-name or surname or family name comes from the father.
Children take their mother's name when it is a single mother.
But a man taking his wife's name is strange, for whatever reason.
It is not a strange thing in Sweden or Finland. In Sweden a man since 1983 has been able to take his wife's family name and in Finland since 1986. In 2015 about 10 per cent of swedish men took their wife's family name.
Så många män tar kvinnans namn när de gifter sig _ Metro

One of the most well-known couples in Sweden a man taking his wife's name is athletes Patrik Kristiansson and Carolina Klüft. Since they got married in 2007, Patrik has been Patrik Klüft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I look forward to seeing it. Will the RF wear orders/ tiaras and will the Crown and other regalia be on display ?
I doubt that they wear tiaras, because according to the court's calendar they have a seminar before the reception.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-13-2018, 11:17 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
In most parts of the world, last-name or surname or family name comes from the father.
Children take their mother's name when it is a single mother.
But a man taking his wife's name is strange, for whatever reason.
This is exactly what I am used to and where my opinion is based on.
__________________
27 juni 2014: förlovning av Prins Carl Philip av Sverige och fröken Sofia Hellqvist
27th November, 2017: engagement of Prince Harry of the United Kingdom and Ms. Meghan Markle

Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-17-2018, 11:21 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 25,901
Svensk Damtidning wrote yesterday that Madeleine will not be in Sweden on 5th February.
- Yes, that's right. The Princess is unable to attend.
In connection with the Nobel Banquet, she was suffering from pain in her back due to her pregnancy. How is she now?
- It is true that every pregnancy is unique in different ways. But the princess is feeling good. Right now she is in London.
Madeleine missar familjefirandet _ Svensk Damtidning
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
200th Anniversary of Norway's Constitution fairy tale Royal House of Norway 32 06-13-2014 08:44 AM
200th Anniversary of Norway's Constitution - Events in Denmark: May 2014 JessRulz Royal House of Denmark 50 06-01-2014 07:36 AM
200th Anniversary of Battle of the Nations; October 2013 Spheno Royal International Events 5 10-30-2013 04:36 PM
How are you celebrating the Diamond Jubilee? padams2359 Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh 13 06-04-2012 08:34 PM




Popular Tags
art baltic republics birthday book camilla caracciolo china chris o'neill crown princess elisabeth crown princess victoria current events england family general news grandchild hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hereditary prince alois hohenzollern infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia interests iñaki urdangarín king carl gustaf king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monaco monarchy news porphyria prince carl philip prince charles prince daniel prince gabriel prince harry prince jean prince nicholas prince oscar prince sebastian princessanne princess beatrice princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margerthe queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima fashion royal ancestry royal geneology soderberg spanish royal family state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:39 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018
Jelsoft Enterprises