The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Aristocracy

Can Carl Philip and Madeleine Marry before Victoria?

I read, that Princess Madeleine may not marry until Crownprincess Victoria is married. Is this true? I can't believe it...

Old 08-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Commoner

Jepp thatīs true

Old 08-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Darkness View Post
I read, that Princess Madeleine may not marry until Crownprincess Victoria is married. Is this true? I can't believe it...
Is that may not marry as in "she possibly won't marry" or as is "she is not allowed to marry"?

If its "she is not allowed to marry" until Victoria marries then that is quite unfair. Poor girl.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Royal Highness

What if Victoria doesn't marry at all? Very unlikely, but it can happen. Does that mean that Madeleine can't be happily married either?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:18 AM
Aristocracy

I'm sorry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Is that may not marry as in "she possibly won't marry" or as is "she is not allowed to marry"?

If its "she is not allowed to marry" until Victoria marries then that is quite unfair. Poor girl.
I read it in different newspapers, that "she is not allowed to marry"...

Here a wonderful picture of her:
http://www.bild.t-online.de/BTO/leut...,width=245.jpg

It is so sad, if it is really true. I also read, that she want to has a baby in the next years. So she will marry in the next years - and now: She must wait.

But really: I can't believe it. It is just rubbish in the newspapers.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Actually Jonas should become "Prince"...if Daniel would become one as well. After all the succession change was about equality...and what makes Emma more to a Royal than Jonas??
But of course the old model with Madeleine and her children being treated like Christina and her children is most likely. And Iīm pretty convinced, Madeleine and CP would keep the HRH.

There is no proof, that this story about Victoria having to marry first is true! Itīs just a tabloid thing...mainly started and promoted by Expressen. I guess they wanted some "drama".
If one looks at history and other Royal houses, there is no point in the story.
And if one would ask me (what one unfortunately never does...and thatīs why the SRF is so zzzzzzzz at the moment )...presumed that the heir and at least one spare would be generally ready for marriage, it would be wiser to start with the wedding of the spare. So one would have gotten experience for the big happening.
The only thing, that is really speaking for the story of Victoria having to marry first...if her siblings would be married, the ppl would maybe even more wonder, when itīs her turn.
But no one is expecting two weddings in a year...so Victoria would have one more year to make a decision. So letīs say, if either Madeleine or CP would marry in 2008, she could still marry in 2009...and all ppl would understand that...so IMO a wedding of M or CP would be even some kind of "buffer" and wouldnīt mean extra pressure.
Then again...I guess here only naive and impatient me is really expecting Victoria to marry until 2010
Old 08-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, both in the UK as in the Netherlands the Prince Consort received the HRH Prince of X title of his new country while the husbands of the spares (Lord Snowdon and Prof. van Vollenhoven) didnīt. Lord Snowdon received a noble title of course.
Personally I would like for Jonas and Madelaine to follow the Spanish example. Or are these titles never used within Sweden? The Dukes of Halstrikland and Gastrikland or something like that, right?

But Lena, you just imagine the excitement when they do marry. All the other royal ladies will have delivered all the babies etc. while Sweden is getting one precious love child after another . Untill that time we have to entertain us with other things about the Swedish Royals though, so if anybody wants to start an interesting discussion please feel free to do so.

About the original question, there is no protocol rule that Victoria has to be the first one to marry, in fact I very much doubt there is anything like a protocol at all. The story is just to fill the pages of boulevard magazines. I believe however that one employee of the court said that several marriages within one year will be difficult considering the Royal budget.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
it would be wiser to start with the wedding of the spare. So one would have gotten experience for the big happening.
A very valid point. I have a bit of trouble imagining the spare in this situation, ie. Carl Philip, being splashed out in a very big wedding, so I imagine the test-person for a huge royal wedding would have to be Madeleine?

It was pointed out that Victoria's wedding wouldn't correspond with the King's 60th birthday - which it didn't - but Marengo's point about budget is also something to be taken into consideration when it finally happens.

As for getting married first or second - I doubt it has ever been discussed at court. It sounds like creating trouble out of nothing.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Serene Highness

Well I'm glad to hear that Victoria doesn't need to marry first. The success of her marriage is so much more crucial to the stability of the monarchy. She should have all the time she needs to make a comfortable and loving decision, without having to worry that she is holding up her sister's happiness in the meantime.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Aristocracy

She'll marry when she ready,but if she doesn't have children would Prince Carl Phillip's children be next in line?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalone3 View Post
She'll marry when she ready,but if she doesn't have children would Prince Carl Phillip's children be next in line?

Well, don't forget about Carl Philip! If Victoria has no children then I would think Carl-Philip would still be first in line after her, same as it is right now. Then his children will be in line after him. He would not lose his spot once his children come along. However, I seriously doubt Victoria will be childless. So this topic seems very premature!

I have actually never noticed this thread before and the name caught me so off guard! Now I realize it is a hypothetical type of thread!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Aristocracy

I really don't understand the royals,that feel they have a morial obligation to marry the right person, as to not damage the monarcy.Yey a few of them have been living together for years.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Gentry

I think it is very likely that IF marriage stuff has indeed been penciled into the budget (since Queen Silvia has said her children do NOT have to marry in any order) the wedding will be that of Madeleine or Carl Philip. I think that since Victoria's relationship with Daniel Westling is the youngest, they may marry last!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I was wondering, when CP and Madelaine do marry, where would that be? The previous Swedish generation seemed to spread their marriages over the country, as did the present generation in Spain, Norway and The Netherlands while in Belgium they kept things in the SS MIchel & Gudele Cathedral.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I was wondering, when CP and Madelaine do marry, where would that be? The previous Swedish generation seemed to spread their marriages over the country, as did the present generation in Spain, Norway and The Netherlands while in Belgium they kept things in the SS MIchel & Gudele Cathedral.
Only Princess Margaretha did not marry in Stockholm, The civil marriage of Princess Birgitta took place in the Royal Palace, Stockholm and the religiuos in Sigmaringen. But i wonder why Princess Désirée is the only one aside from Carl Gustaf who married in Storkyrkan.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Heir Apparent

They both seem so young. I hope that they do not rush into marriage. Madeline should enjoy her twenties.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by linneatherose View Post
I think it is very likely that IF marriage stuff has indeed been penciled into the budget (since Queen Silvia has said her children do NOT have to marry in any order) the wedding will be that of Madeleine or Carl Philip. I think that since Victoria's relationship with Daniel Westling is the youngest, they may marry last!
I think you may be right. Carl Philip and Emma could be the first couple to marry. He's going to be 29 real soon. A good age to settle down and marry (IF he so chooses, of course).
Old 09-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Nobility

Can Carl-Philip and Madelaine marry before Victoria?

(Edit Marengo) Since this question has been asked very often and will be asked many more times until one of the 3 siblings will get engaged we decided to make a seperate thread about it. More information will be moved to this thread, when the moderators have time to go through the old threads.

--

Quick question a little off topic: Must Victoria marry before Carl Philip?
Whatever comes, she said, cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumpf to be one all the time when no one knows it. (F.Hogdson Burnett)
Old 09-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Quick question a little off topic: Must Victoria marry before Carl Philip?
No! No tradition, no logics behind this press promoted assumptions and Emma Pernald had said, that this wouldnīt be the case...
Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Aristocracy

I think no because the tradition is other!