Birth and Christening Circumstances of the Swedish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

principessa

Heir Apparent
City
Schweinfurt
Country
Germany
If in the Swedish Royal House a baby is born, when will the names be announced? At the moment of the birth announcement or later? Would the godparents be announced with the names or at another moment? Are there any special christening traditions?

As far as I know Denmark is the only one that doesn't announce the baby's name straight away. I think that Norway announces the name with the birth details. The video shows they announced Carl Philip's name, so unless Victoria chooses to do something different it will probably be the same.

victoria is born in a hospital but carl philip and madeleine is born at home

What crowns was used at Victoria and Madeleines christnings

At Carl Philips it was the Crown Prince coronet made for Carl X Gustaf same crown was used for Victoria at her wedding to daniel

Estelle christning we saw the Prince Oscars crown (Oscar II) Oscar was as Estelle duke of Östergötland

How about the kings christning

At Carl Philips it was the Crown Prince coronet made for Carl X Gustaf same crown was used for Victoria at her wedding to daniel

Estelle christning we saw the Prince Oscars crown (Oscar II) Oscar was as Estelle duke of Östergötland

Princess Sofia Albertinas Crown were used at Victorias christening and Princess Hedvig Elisabeth Charlottas Crown were used at Madeleine's christening

The Crown Prince Crown were used at the king's christening

Isnt it ironic that Swedish Royals use crowns at christenings and funerals, instead of where they should be exactly using them..:lol:

Is there a specific reason why those crowns were used for Princesses Victoria and Madeleine?

Princess Sofia Albertinas Crown were used at Victorias christening and Princess Hedvig Elisabeth Charlottas Crown were used at Madeleine's christening

The Crown Prince Crown were used at the king's christening

Thank you so much for the information

What are these crowns? Do we have pictures?

What are these crowns? Do we have pictures?

At Estelle's christening, the crown of prince Oscar II
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

At the wedding of Victoria and Daniel
For Victoria
The Crown prince coronet (tronföljarkronan) made for Carl X Gustaf
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/18....943/Karl_X_Gustavs_arvfurstekrona_390x262.jpg
For Daniel
The crown of prince Vilhelm
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/18.40e05eec12926f2630480001946/Prins_Wilhelms_krona_390x262.jpg

Last edited:
At Estelle's christening, the crown of prince Oscar II

At the wedding of Victoria and Daniel
For Victoria
The Crown prince coronet (tronföljarkronan) made for Carl X Gustaf
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/18.40e05eec12926f2630480001943/Karl_X_Gustavs_arvfurstekrona_390x262.jpg
For Daniel
The crown of prince Vilhelm
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/18.40e05eec12926f2630480001946/Prins_Wilhelms_krona_390x262.jpg

We're these displayed in certain places?

We're these displayed in certain places?

If you mean where the crowns were at the christening and the wedding:
At Estelle's christening:

At Victoria's and Daniel's wedding, from the left and right side of the priests at the altar

Normally:
From 1970 the regalia have been on exhibition for the public in a special Treasure Chamber in the Royal Palace of Stockholm's southern vault.
Regal symbols - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Will there be a council meeting and a Te Deum take place after the birth of Princess Madeleine's daughter?

Last edited by a moderator:
At princess Leonores christning princess Eugénies crown was used
the same crown we saw at princess lilians funeral

Were there crown at the kings sisters christnings?

I haven't seen a lot of photos of their christenings. Here is a photo of princess Margaretha's christening in 1935. At least there isn't a crown close to princess Sibylla and Margaretha.

A photo of princess Birgitta's christening at the Solna church 1937.

King Carl Gustaf, princess Désirée and countess Marianne Bernadotte at the Te Deum at the Royal Chapel after Victoria was born, on 15th July 1977.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the reason for there being no crowns used at the Haga princesses christenings was because they weren't in the line of succession?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Maybe a christning late september or in oktober for Nicolas
I am guessing Drottningholm cadtle church again

The kings looked a lot like Victoria in that photo! Thank you LadyFinn!

I Wonder there will be 2 Christnings om one

What crown will be usel do you thinn?

I really hope that the two upcoming christenings will be separated: each baby deserves his/her own baptism. Also, I would hope that Oscar's christening will be a bigger affair, since he is the crown princely couple's son.

I Wonder there will be 2 Christnings om one

What crown will be usel do you thinn?

Even though it is not unusual with double-christenings (or even triple) in Sweden these days, i don't think the royal children will be baptized together.

There is one princely crown that has not been used at any royal event in this generation and that is Prince Fredrik Adolfs Crown. Prince Fredrik Adolf was youngest son to King Adolf Fredrik and Queen Lovisa Ulrika. I would not be surprised if this is the crown we will see at the christening of Prince Oscar.

Another possibility is that he will share "ranking crown" with Estelle and then he will get Prince Oscars Crown, the crown the future King Oscar II used while he was still a Prince.
As we all know Estelle will get the Crown Prince Crown as her "ranking crown" when her mother becomes Queen and then Oscar would get the crown with his name for himself.

For the christening of the child of Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia, i guess that he/she will "share" ranking crown with one of his/her parents. That would mean that one of Prince Carls Crown or Princess Sofia Albertinas Crown would be used.
Prince Carls Crown is the crown the future King Carl XIII used while he was still a Prince. Princess Sofia Albertinas Crown is as the name indicates the crown Princess Sofia Albertina, youngest child of King Adolf Fredrik and Queen Lovisa Ulrika used.
Both crowns were in use at the wedding of Carl Philip and Sofia.

Last edited:
I don't think that there will be a double christening, based on the big difference at Te Deums for Victoria's children and Madeleine's children.
At Leonore's and Nicolas's Te Deums the royal family sat at the church pew, at the "normal benches".
At Estelle's and Oscar's Te Deums the royal family sat at chairs which had been put between the church benches and the altar.
Estelle
Oscar
The seating order at Estelle's and Oscar's Te Deums was similar than at the Te Deum for the king 40 years at the throne (but then there were more guests).

It looks to be very clear that the king and the court wants to make a difference between the events of the crown princess's children and her siblings' children.

Last edited:
I think a double christening would be a sweet idea but I don't think it's likely, although of course I could be wrong. I didn't realise that they were common in Sweden.

There was a double christening in the Dutch RF, between Alaïa-Maria Brenninkmeijer and Princess Zita Clara of Bourbon Parma, IIRC (but of course, that doesn't mean that the Swedish RF will do the same as different families have different customs).

What crown was used for oscar and Alexanders christning

What crown was used for oscar and Alexanders christning

History - Sveriges Kungahus

Prins Alexander blir den sista på ett tag som får en egen krona | Kungligt | Expressen

Crown of Sweden's Heir Apparent (Karl X Gustav's Crown), 1650

Crown Prince Carl Philip, christening
Crown Princess Victoria, wedding

Prince Karl (XIII)'s Crown, 1771

Prince Carl Philip, wedding

Prince Fredrik Adolf's Crown, 1771

Prince Alexander, christening

Princess Sofia Albertina's Crown, 1771

Princess Victoria, christening
Princess Sofia, wedding

Princess Hedvig Elisabeth Charlotta's Crown, 1778

Princess Madeleine, christening and wedding
Prince Nicolas, christening

Prince Oscar (II)'s Crown, 1844

Princess Estelle, christening

Princess Eugénie's Crown, 1860

Princess Leonore, christening

Prince Wilhelm's Crown, 1902

Prince Daniel, wedding
Prince Oscar, christening

History - Sveriges Kungahus

Prins Alexander blir den sista på ett tag som får en egen krona | Kungligt | Expressen

Crown of Sweden's Heir Apparent (Karl X Gustav's Crown), 1650

Crown Prince Carl Philip, christening
Crown Princess Victoria, wedding

Prince Karl (XIII)'s Crown, 1771

Prince Carl Philip, wedding

Prince Fredrik Adolf's Crown, 1771

Prince Alexander, christening

Princess Sofia Albertina's Crown, 1771

Princess Victoria, christening
Princess Sofia, wedding

Princess Hedvig Elisabeth Charlotta's Crown, 1778

Princess Madeleine, christening and wedding
Prince Nicolas, christening

Prince Oscar (II)'s Crown, 1844

Princess Estelle, christening

Princess Eugénie's Crown, 1860

Princess Leonore, christening

Prince Wilhelm's Crown, 1902

Prince Daniel, wedding
Prince Oscar, christening

Thank you so much for the list
Maybe a new thread about the Swedish crowns
Prince Karl (XIII)'s Crown, 1771 used also for prince Bertils Funeral
Princess Eugénie's Crown, 1860 used also for princess Lilians Funeral

What crown was used for the kings enthronement?
https://www.svtstatic.se/image-cms/...BINARY/original/kungen_RIKSMoTETSoPPNANDE.jpg

And here the crown for Gustaf V funeral
http://www.tradera.com/item/341419/249200478/se-1950-46-kung-gustaf-v-begravning-stort-kunga-nummer-

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom