Bernadotte Family Reunion & 100th Anniversary of Sofiero Palace: June 2, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the reason for the gathering and when exactly will it take place?

Its suppose its a kind of a family reunion and the reason for it taking place on Sofiero is that the palace celebrates its 100 "birthday" this year. It was on July 22nd 1905 the royal family moved in.

"2005 firar vi att det är 100 år sedan prinsparet Gustav Adolf
och hans hustru Margareta kom till Sofiero som nyblivna ägare

Slottet kommer delvis att inredas med möbler som en gång varit på Sofiero; ett sovrum på andra våningen, kungens skrivkabinett och hela möblemanget till biblioteket på första våningen. Förutom miljörum kommer Sofieros historia att visas i ord och bild. Dessutom ett imponerande porträttgalleri med över 100 välkända personer som besökt Sofiero under 100 år. Säsongen öppnar 16 april med utställningen i slottet och en stor rhododendronutställning i Orangeriet. I trädgården kommer en jubileumsträdgård tillägnad kronprinsessan Margareta att invigas. Programmet innehåller flera jubileumsarrangemang med höjdpunkten den 22 juli, då det nygifta paret anlände till Sofiero och satte första spadtaget i den som kom att bli en av Sveriges mest berömda och omtalade trädgårdar! "

Does anyone know more details about this? Like when the royal family are arriving, what they will be doing etc.?

--
this is what it said on Sofieros website:

2 juni Stor inofficiell kunglig familjeträff för släkten Bernadotte
med anledning av Sofieros 100-årsjubileum.
H.M. Konungen inviger jubileumsträdgården - Margaretas Garden och H.M. Dronning Margrethe inviger Kronprinsessan Margaretas nyanlagda rabatter. Parken är stängd tom kl.16.00.

--
Based on the royal calendar and the schedule at www.sofiero.helsingborg.se this is the royals who will be there: (I´ll update the list when I find more)

King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia
Crown princess Victoria, prince Carl Philip and princess Madeleine

Princess Christina and her family

Queen Margrethe with her family

count Carl Johan Bernadotte and count Michael Bernadotte.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yennie said:
Queen Margrethe with her family

According to BT this means Margrethe, Joachim, Benedikte with Gustav and Alexandra, Nicholaos, Philippos and Theodora.
Those are mentioned in the article...I´m though quite sure, that Anne-Marie and Constantine will also show up...and knowing that Frederik is until the first of june in Sweden, I guess he will also come (hopefully with his wife)
Prince Henrik is in Bergen from the 1st of june until the 5th, so we shouldn´t count on him.
BT says 45 members of the Bernadotte family will come...so we don´t know about many yet. I´ve just counted 20 by now.

http://www.bt.dk/royalt/artikel:aid=364784/

Here is now a list from Expressen (which is puffed up, that Daniel, Jonas and Emma aren´t invited. According to the court this is a meeting for official family members):

>King Carl Gustaf

>Queen Silvia

>Crown princess Victoria

>Prince Carl Philip

>Princess Madeleine

>Princess Margaretha

>Princess Desirée and baron Niclas Silfverskiöld

>Baron Carl Silfverskiöld and Maria Fredrikson

>Princess Christina and consul general Tord Magnusson

>Gustaf Magnusson

>Oscar Magnusson

>Victor Magnusson

>Count Carl Johan Bernadotte and countess Gunnila

>Count Christian Bernadotte and countess Marianne

>Christina Bernadotte

>Richard Bernadotte

>Philip Bernadotte

>Countess Monica Bonde

>Countess Ebba Bonde

>Count Carl Johan Bonde

>Countess Marianne Bernadotte of Wisborg

>Count Michael Bernadotte of Wisborg

>Queen Margrethe

>Prince Joachim

>Crown prince Frederik and Crown princess Mary

>Princess Benedikte and Prince Richard zu Sayn-Wittgestein-Berleburg

>Prince Gustav zu Sayn-Wittgestein-Berleburg

>Princess Alexandra zu Sayn-Wittgestein-Berleburg and Jefferson-Friedrich

>King Constantine and queen Anne-Marie

>Prince Nicholaos

>Princess Theodora

>Prince Philippos

>Court lady Louise Törneman

>Lieutenant colonel Thomas Nilsson

The menu (I admit I´m swamped with the translation...maybe a Swede can do it this time?):

>Små Aptitretare
>Ravioli med toppmurklor och knaperstekt kalvbräss, krasse- och kalvbrässås
>Dricka: 2003 Grauburgunder, Heidi Schröck, Rust, Österrike

Huvudrätt
>Tryffelbakad hälleflundra med nypotatis från Sofiero, kronärtsskocksbakelse och lätt smörad tryffelsky
>Dricka: 2003 Stony Brook, Semillion, Sydafrika

Efterrätt
>Rabarber från slottsträdgården med vit chokladglass

Programme:
09.00: The guests arrive at Sofiero castle

09.30-12.00: Private tour through the ravine of rhododendrons. Watching the jubilee exhibition in the castle

12.30: Lunch

14.00: Group pictures on the stairs of the castle

14.20: H.M the king innaugurates a jubilee garden.

14.35: H.M queen Margrethe innaugurates crown princess Margaretas three new build flower beds.

16.00: The guests go by bus to Helsingborg for an one hour long tour with a steamer through Skåne

17.00: Transport to a hotel in Helsingborg for an one hour long private relaxation

19.00: Dinner on the danish yacht Dannebrog, which is placed at the port of Helsingborg.

Hope they will have a wonderful day! And lets hope for a sunny and warm day, unlike todays rain and cold weather...

does anyone know if there will be a chance for the "non professional photographers" to see the royals? Or will they hide from the public, as this is a non- official event?

So are all the guests relitives of the Swedish Royal Family?

Interesting thanks. It's nice for the family to do get togethers. I can imagine they will have lots and lots to catch up on.:)

Yennie said:
Hope they will have a wonderful day! And lets hope for a sunny and warm day, unlike todays rain and cold weather...

O, gosh. Yes. Let´s hope there is no bad weather. For such a big and historical event, it would be great to have no weather problems at all.

" >Små Aptitretare
>Ravioli med toppmurklor och knaperstekt kalvbräss, krasse- och kalvbrässås
>Dricka: 2003 Grauburgunder, Heidi Schröck, Rust, Österrike

Huvudrätt
>Tryffelbakad hälleflundra med nypotatis från Sofiero, kronärtsskocksbakelse och lätt smörad tryffelsky
>Dricka: 2003 Stony Brook, Semillion, Sydafrika

Efterrätt
>Rabarber från slottsträdgården med vit chokladglass"

Appetitizers:

Ravioli with buttoned morels(a type of mushroom) and some veal and cress

Drink: 2003 Grauburgunder(a Pinot gris) from Heidi Schröck who is not only an award winning vintner in Austria but the coolest vintner in Austria. And apparently, this vintage is popular in Sweden as well. A bottle costs 50 USD.

Main Course:

Baked truffled halibut with some new potatoes from Sofiero. Baked artichoke with buttered truffles. They grow artichokes at Sofiero as well.

Drink: 2003 Stony Brook, a lemony/fruity wine which goes best with blackened fish, crayfish curry and other full flavoured seafood dishes. Hence, its inclusion with this meal.

Dessert: Rhubarb from the palace gardens with white chocolate(milk chocolate variation) ice cream. Yummy.

Well, that´s the gist of the menu. It sounds good.

Yennie said:
does anyone know if there will be a chance for the "non professional photographers" to see the royals?

Hmm. Do you have anybody in mind? Someone from Skåne perhaps? :) A chance for the budding royal photographer to take some photos and then to post them onto this site? That would be excellent then.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Will Princess Lilian be there?

No, unfortunatley not :( It´s said, she doesn´t leave Stockholm anymore these days.

Dennis, thanks for accepting the challenge and translating the menu (especially for the horror word "kronärtsskocksbakelse", which gave me a real headache :D )

Yes, let´s hope "Yennarazzo" gets a chance to photograph...IMO the Bernadottes have made too much advertisment to keep this meeting private.

Last edited:
Lena said:
Yes, let´s hope "Yennarazzo" gets a chance to photograph...IMO the Bernadottes have made too much advertisment to keep this meeting private.
haha, yes Yennierazzo will definately do her best to get some photos...

I agree with you Lena. I think its strange that there is no chance for the public to see the inaguration. I understand that they wants to be able to meet in private, but as you said there has been so much publicity. It would have been better to keep the meeting a secret than to publish all times and stuff when they will be doing things.

Its like offering you the cake and then, just when you´re about to take a bite: snap, take it back :D

I wants to see Mary! I´ve seen the swedish royals before but never the danish :/

Yennie said:
Its like offering you the cake and then, just when you´re about to take a bite: snap, take it back :D

I wants to see Mary! I´ve seen the swedish royals before but never the danish :/

:D hahahaha...what a comparison.
My guess is (but I´ve no idea, how the port in Helsingborg looks) that it will be easiest to see them and to make pics at the port, when they board the Dannebrog.

Article from the local (I don´t care, that Daniel, Emma and Jonas aren´t invited...or let´s say it´s no big surprise, because the protocol is tricky and conservative. But I hope the RF will forget their traditions on Vickan´s birthday and that they will be allowed to come then):

http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?ID=1535&date=20050601

Royal squeezes kept out of the family

The largest ever gathering of distant members of Sweden’s royal family is due to take place on Thursday – but the partners of the young Swedish royals have been left off the guest list.

The family party is being held amid tight security in Sofiero, near Helsingborg. There, minor royals and their other halves will get the chance to hob-nob with the winners of the Bernadotte family’s genetic lottery.

Leading the royal line-up are King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia, who will be joined by their cousins in the Danish royal family, in what a palace spokeswoman said would be the largest gathering of the king's relatives ever held.

The party will go on all day, and will be followed by a knees-up on Danish Queen Margarethe’s royal yacht (the Swedish royals being far too modest to have such a vessel of their own).

But royalty are a traditional bunch, and the guest list, while including all sorts of distant royal cousins, does not include the high-profile royal squeezes.

Daniel Westling, Crown Princess Victoria’s boyfriend, did not get an invitation. Likewise Princess Madeleine’s other half Jonas Bergström and Prince Carl Philip’s girlfriend Emma Pernald will not get the chance to meet some of their more distant potential future in-laws.

Expressen has accused the king of “barring” the young royals’ partners, and pointed to other family events to which they have not been invited, such as the official celebrations of Victoria’s birthday last year.

But according to the palace press office, the failure to invite the young boyfriends and girlfriend should not be looked on as a snub. Rather, royal protocol means that the trio cannot come to family events until rings are firmly on their fingers.

“This is an official event, and those particular people do not belong to the official part of the family,” was how palace spokesman Morgan Järle put it to Expressen.

James Savage

I realize that the Swedish and Danish Royal Families are related. How exactly are they related?

Lena said:
No, unfortunatley not :( It´s said, she doesn´t leave Stockholm anymore these days.

Dennis, thanks for accepting the challenge and translating the menu (especially for the horror word "kronärtsskocksbakelse", which gave me a real headache :D )

You´re welcome. I have to tell you that kronärtsskocksbakelse was quite hard. I figured it out using the binomial nomenclature. And even then. Bakelse literally means a pastry however, I´ve never heard of an artichoke pastry. So I went for baked since that is close. Also the veal is something more than just veal but I couldn´t figure it out. It´s not a cutlet. That´s another word. Yes, we shall praise the Yennarazzo indeed!

Ennyllorac said:
I realize that the Swedish and Danish Royal Families are related. How exactly are they related?

Queen Ingrid of Denmark (present Danish queen's mother) was the daughter of King Gustav Adolf VI and his first wife Princess Margareta. So, Queen Margarethe is his granddaughter. His eldest son (Ingrid's brother) Crown Prince Gustav Adolf was the father of the present King of Sweden, King Carl Gustaf XVI.

So, King Carl Gustaf XVI of Sweden and Queen Margarethe of Denmark are first cousins.

The danish guests arrived at 9.45, with Dannebrog at the port of Helsingborg

photos credits: to me :)

Attachments

• d3.jpg
    d3.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 2,186
  • d4.jpg
    d4.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 713
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 441
  • d5.jpg
    d5.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 2,170
  • d6.jpg
    d6.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 2,205
  • d8.jpg
    d8.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Yes, the gathering is today and right now the royals are at Sofiero. They will remain there until 16.00 when they will travel to central Helsingborg and board "Blå vagnen", the royal train for an hour-long trip around north-west Skåne.

some more of my photos:

They were there :) I just got back home from my first F&M encounter :D

Margrethe, Joachim, Fredrik, Mary, Benedikte and her husband, Anne Marie and Konstantin left Dannebrog at 9.50, and was taken by car to Sofiero Castle

Attachments

• d10.jpg
    d10.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 769
  • d13.jpg
    d13.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 2,165
  • d12.jpg
    d12.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 736
  • d11.jpg
    d11.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 775
  • d9.jpg
    d9.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 586
  • d7.jpg
    d7.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 438
Nice pictures, Yennie. Thank you very much for sharing them.

Did you take all those pictures youself Yennie? They are very good. Thank you for shaing them:)
Maybe they should hire you at Expressen:D

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing those pics Yennie:) Here are some from Seeger Press.

Attachments

• pre-SEEGER00140691.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00140691.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,934
  • pre-SEEGER00140694.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00140694.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 429
  • pre-SEEGER00140693.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00140693.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 353
  • pre-SEEGER00140692.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00140692.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 397
  • pre-SEEGER00140690.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00140690.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 315
  • pre-SEEGER00140688.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00140688.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 446
  • pre-SEEGER00140687.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00140687.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 328
  • pre-SEEGER00140686.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00140686.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 418
  • pre-SEEGER00140685.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00140685.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 354
  • pre-SEEGER00140689.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00140689.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 371
Yes, I took all photos myself :) And hopefully I´ll be able to take some more later today. First at 16.00 when all the royals are boarding the train and later this evening when they all comes back to Dannebrog.

I´m a little exited, I haven´t seen the whole swedish rf in many years!

Here´s a clip from when Dannebrog arrived in Helsingborg earlier today.

http://hd.se/media/film/dannebrogen.wmv

and some photos of the "other royalties":
Carl Johan and Gunnila, princess Christina and Tord, princess Desiree and Niclas and Marianne Bernadotte

Here´s an article from expressen.
http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=294515

and the first photos of the swedish royals!

Attachments

• ChrisTordDesNic.jpg
    ChrisTordDesNic.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 587
  • gunncj.jpg
    gunncj.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 353
  • cj.jpg
    cj.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 466
  • gunncj2.jpg
    gunncj2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 510
  • marianne.jpg
    marianne.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 515
  • fam1.jpg
    fam1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 751
  • fam2.jpg
    fam2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 2,053
Oh Yennie, I´m so very happy for you!
4_1_203.gif
Finally you could also see the danish Royals. How does Mary look? Better/worse than in pics?
Your pictures are great. Well done!

Royal squeezes kept out of the family

The largest ever gathering of distant members of Sweden’s royal family is due to take place on Thursday – but the partners of the young Swedish royals have been left off the guest list.

The family party is being held amid tight security in Sofiero, near Helsingborg. There, minor royals and their other halves will get the chance to hob-nob with the winners of the Bernadotte family’s genetic lottery.

Leading the royal line-up are King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia, who will be joined by their cousins in the Danish royal family, in what a palace spokeswoman said would be the largest gathering of the king's relatives ever held.

The party will go on all day, and will be followed by a knees-up on Danish Queen Margarethe’s royal yacht (the Swedish royals being far too modest to have such a vessel of their own).

But royalty are a traditional bunch, and the guest list, while including all sorts of distant royal cousins, does not include the high-profile royal squeezes.

Daniel Westling, Crown Princess Victoria’s boyfriend, did not get an invitation. Likewise Princess Madeleine’s other half Jonas Bergström and Prince Carl Philip’s girlfriend Emma Pernald will not get the chance to meet some of their more distant potential future in-laws.

Expressen has accused the king of “barring” the young royals’ partners, and pointed to other family events to which they have not been invited, such as the official celebrations of Victoria’s birthday last year.

But according to the palace press office, the failure to invite the young boyfriends and girlfriend should not be looked on as a snub. Rather, royal protocol means that the trio cannot come to family events until rings are firmly on their fingers.

“This is an official event, and those particular people do not belong to the official part of the family,” was how palace spokesman Morgan Järle put it to Expressen.

The King doesn't want his children to get married, Protocol denies them attendance even at the simpilest events or even the meeting of other family members.....
Its not like these are just silly little dates Victoria, Mad & Carl picked up off the streets. Each relationship has long, stable and meaningful. If anything the King is probably placing a huge amount of stress on them over this. I mean I'm sure Mad has met all of Jonas family after what? 3 yrs together. It's almost like a slap in the face over & over again to the partners - saying "your not good enough"

Last edited:
ursulajohanna said:
Thanks for the lovely pics. Where is Queen Silvia?

She surely is/was there. So far we haven´t seen many pics of the gathering itself. When you count the ppl in pics above, you will see that only the half of all guests is in the pic...
Very wise of the organiser to give a load of umbrellas out.

lashinka2002 said:
The King doesn't want his children to get married, Protocol denies them attendance even at the simpilest events or even the meeting of other family members.....
Its not like these are just silly little dates Victoria, Mad & Carl picked up off the streets. Each relationship has long, stable and meaningful. If anything the King is probably placing a huge amount of stress on them over this. I mean I'm sure Mad has met all of Jonas family after what? 3 yrs together. It's almost like a slap in the face over & over again to the partners - saying "your not good enough"

I disagree...this was an official family meeting. Of course it must have been exciting to see each other all together again...but obviously the Royal families have also used it to advertise their "firms"
All three partners of the Royal children have met the king and the queen many times...I´m sure they have even celebrated birthdays together. But big jubilees are celebrated in Royal families in public...and this always means, that the protocol doesn´t allow girlfriends/boyfriends of Royals to appear...

The first real group photo from royalcourt.se
Madeleine in white, Victoria in white, Mary in white, (your beloved queen, Johanna) Silvia in white. It seems white is popular.

Attachments

• SofierofamiljefotoPRBwebb.jpg
    SofierofamiljefotoPRBwebb.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,064
Yennie said:
The danish guests arrived at 9.45, with Dannebrog at the port of Helsingborg

photos credits: to me :)

Brava, Jen. Great photos. Well done. Our own royal photographer!

I like how on one side you have the Danish side and the other side you have the Swedish side of the extended family with the two cousins, the King and Queen Margrethe, in the middle. Looking forward to see more photos. I like the whole white thing going on. Victoria, Theodora, Madeleine, the Queen and Mary. The King´s tie matches his cousin´s coat. Well done

Lena, thanks for the groupfoto (with my beloved queen) from Royalcourt. I hope we will see pictures from the morning be opening the rhododendron-garden and evening before going to "Danebrog" for Dinner.

The second time a saw the royals was when they boarded the train that was gonna take them on a tour of Skåne.

Pretty crappy sight, but always something :)
here´s the result!

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 280
  • danish.jpg
    danish.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 340
  • fredmarytrain.jpg
    fredmarytrain.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 532
  • maddecarlvictoriablurry.jpg