and a few photos with royal connection
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
in sweden

1st of Advent - Warming up for Christmas

Children also take out their Advent calendars, where one flap is opened each day until Christmas Eve.
The same in households where the German tradition is maintained.

The thing with the candles ... when I grew up ..... was on a green wreath made of cut evergreen branches.

And a shoe in the window between Saturday night to wake up on Sunday morning.

Quote:
in sweden we celebrate christmnas december 24th
That's what I have grown up with. In the past I would take half the day off, if it was work day ... now I take the whole day off.

My sister's family has it the best .... Christmas presents from the German side of the family on Christmas Eve, and then presents from the Scottish side of the family on the morning of Christmas Day.

Quote:
then its time for food we got a smorgasbord full with different meals
pickled herring, liver pâté, smoked sausages, cabbage, meatballs, "Jansson's Temptation" (a potato gratin with pickled sprats) and the much longed-for ham - and loads more last year we had dear
Certainly a tradition I have grown up with, is a smorgasbord halfway through the "business end" of the evening of Christmas Eve. No cabbage though, although there is a version of herring salad.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
this year they did a 1800 centary Lucia what i understand
this is what Aftonbladet wrote:
Lucia was dressed as a Lucia from 1860´s Dalarna (a swedish county) and they had the province dress on. There was no traditional songs either.
Many people reacted and complained to the TV company. They wanted a traditional Lucia with her white gown.

Självaste lucian var istället klädd som en lucia från 1860-talets Dalarna, med sockendräkt och en krona gjord av lingonris. Hennes tärnor, eller ”luciakranskullor” som de kallades, var klädda i praktfulla folkdräkter, röda förkläden och utsmyckade folkinspirerade skrudar på huvudet.
När de tågade in i var det heller inte till tonerna av ”Natten går tunga fjät”. 2004 års lussekoncept var ett helt annat.
Musiken från sångerna som sjöngs var folkliga varianter på lucia- och julvisor framförda av viskursen vid Malungs folkhögskola.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyhete...574828,00.html
Old 12-14-2004, 08:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for post these informations.Does Queen Silvia attend any activities for celebrating Christmas or only Princess Victoria?
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 12-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I cant remeber that Silvia does? Other than her traditional inteview, that from now on is Victorias, with the green puppet Skurt :)

Princess Margareta used to open the swedish christmas "marknad" at the swedsh church in London, but I dont know if she still do?
And some years Victoria has attend a concert in aid for the homless people in Stockholm, but same here, I dont know if thats every year or if its just sometimes?
Anyone?
Old 12-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

There are no annual Christmas engagements for the Swedish Royal Family - which I think is a real pity... :(

It would be nice if there was some annual Christmas concert or thing like that at the Palace or Palace Church in Stockholm, or something like it - that the royals could host every year.

There is only one annual thing that is on the Royal Family's official calendar around Christmas every year, and which counts as an official engagement (which it isn't) - and that's the Christmas Luncheon for the staff of the Royal Court...

One thing that occurs every year, but is not an official engagement - is as Yennie said - is Queen Silvia's (from this year Crown Princess Victoria's) tv interview with Skurt (a puppet). And, also just like Yennie said, Princess Margaretha, Mrs. Ambler used to open (or still does?) the Swedish Christmas bazaar at the Swedish church in London.

But nothing more connected to the Royal House at Christmas... :(
Old 12-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
There are no annual Christmas engagements for the Swedish Royal Family
Skipping ahead a bit, GrandDuchess, the Royal Family does make a "thing" out of ringing out the old year (and the new year in) with a midnight champage on the balcony?
Old 08-21-2005, 05:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

two old photos of the royal family, taken in december 1995.
I can´t belive its 10 years ago, seems like yesterday

They are from the traditional christmas photoshoot and they are in the Bernadotte libary at Stockholm Palace. Carl Philip couldn´t make it home in time for the photoshoot, as he was studying in USA at the time.

photos from IBL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CH_00814.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	183461   Click image for larger version

Name:	CH_00815.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	183462  
Old 08-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie
two old photos of the royal family, taken in december 1995.
I can´t belive its 10 years ago, seems like yesterday

photos from IBL

The Queen and Victoria are more or less the same, but the King and Madeleine really have changed a lot!!
Old 12-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Aristocracy

lucia oh i luv that..its my fave part of the xmas preperations..cant wait til tuesday when i'll spend the day singing lucia songs in various lucia processions with my choir :)
Old 12-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Commoner

How does the swedens celerbrate x-mas this year ??

And does it give a Christmas-Card?
Old 12-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

King Carl Gustaf´s Christmas Speech
Speech and video
Old 11-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Serene Highness

Julretro!!! | Lottas kungliga modeblogg
Some old pictures.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Madeleine wishes Happy Holidays at her official Facebook with this photo:
Christmas Tree at Haga.
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...74207405_n.jpg
Old 12-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video of the King's Christmas Speech
H.M. Konungens jultal | SVT Play

From the end of the speech:
I would also take this opportunity to thank for all congratulations to Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel in connection with Princess Estelle came into the world. It is a great event for the whole family, the Queen and me to become grandparents and Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine got their first niece. That Sweden received it's new princess with such love warmed us all.
Now I hope that together we will be sure to make the coming year a good year. A year full of new opportunities. And we are particularly pleased with the upcoming wedding of Princess Madeleine and Christopher O'Neill.
For me, 2013 is also a bit of an anniversary. Then it's 40 years since I became Sweden's king and head of state. I want to celebrate. Therefore, the Queen and I visit every county in the year. We begin in Kalmar in early March. And we hope during these visits get to meet so many of you as possible all around Sweden, which meant so much to us over the years.
I want to finish with these words and together with my family to wish all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2013!

The whole speech
H.M. Konungens jultal 2012 - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation
Old 12-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Video of the King's Christmas Speech
H.M. Konungens jultal | SVT Play

From the end of the speech:
I would also take this opportunity to thank for all congratulations to Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel in connection with Princess Estelle came into the world. It is a great event for the whole family, the Queen and me to become grandparents and Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine got their first niece. That Sweden received it's new princess with such love warmed us all.
Now I hope that together we will be sure to make the coming year a good year. A year full of new opportunities. And we are particularly pleased with the upcoming wedding of Princess Madeleine and Christopher O'Neill.
For me, 2013 is also a bit of an anniversary. Then it's 40 years since I became Sweden's king and head of state. I want to celebrate. Therefore, the Queen and I visit every county in the year. We begin in Kalmar in early March. And we hope during these visits get to meet so many of you as possible all around Sweden, which meant so much to us over the years.
I want to finish with these words and together with my family to wish all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2013!

The whole speech
H.M. Konungens jultal 2012 - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation
Many thanks for the link and translation LadyFinn!
Old 12-27-2012, 04:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

A signed Christmas Card of the Royal Family
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A9_A77KCcAENs6K.jpg:large
Old 12-27-2012, 05:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Thanks LadyFinn

WOW the card is so so cute...Perfect happy family
Old 12-27-2012, 05:39 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Thank you very much LadyFinn!
I love the Queen with Princess Estelle. However, that pic could have been better: they all look great, but there's a weird distance between everbody and the crown princess. Just a question of balance.