The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I agree but if this is whats being used as an excuse its quite a poor one,I doubt anyone will believe it.
I know, I am really surprised because I believed Prince Felipe and Prince Albert are very good friends, but they only invited the King because he is the head of the State, I don't know why they didn't invite Queen Sofía, but the invitation they sent to SRF was addressed exclusively to the King. It's weird.

I hope all of this is a desinformation and at least the Princes could attend to the wedding, or even only Queen Sofia.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think the Spanish RF got an invitation different from others. Perhaps the invitation is general to the royal house, it's up to the King to decide who he is going to send. If JC decides to send the whole family like the Swedish RF or the Belgian RF, I doubt Albert will have any issue with it. He must have a reason not to send anyone, the reason is definitely not the one in the media.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Now the media is speculating that JC wants to steal the thunder in Monaco and appear himself rising like a phoenix from the ashes after all his health problems
El Rey da marcha atrs y podra aparecer por sorpresa en la boda de Alberto de Mnaco
Old 06-29-2011, 04:36 AM
Serene Highness

I seriously doubt that JC is that kind of a diva lol
Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

The "phoenix" would have to appear before, because Hillary Clinton has just announced official visit to Spain on Friday and Saturday.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
The "phoenix" would have to appear before, because Hillary Clinton has just announced official visit to Spain on Friday and Saturday.
She does, but the royals are not mentioned as yet in her schedule
Secretary Clinton To Travel to Madrid, Spain
Old 06-29-2011, 05:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
She does, but the royals are not mentioned as yet in her schedule
Secretary Clinton To Travel to Madrid, Spain
A Secretary of State of the United States does not visit Spain and does not visit Zarzuela, the King is still recovering and without official public activity, but sooner or later, with or without media, they will announce a meeting.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Royal Highness

I agree with Lula. The press loves to make up insinuations when they don´t have all their facts as they wish. Only today I was reading in a newspaper that according to a French paper and Bunte, Charlene had tried to flee Monaco but was convinced to stay on.Apparently she had found out (after 5 years?) unsavory stuff about Albert´s past. So, if you´re gonna believe this, is the wedding still on?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent

The French paper was "L'Express" - normally a well-regarded paper. It apologised to the Prince via Thierry Lacoste, his lawyer.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Courtier

Well, I just hope they will attend since it's a royal wedding. If no Felipe & Letizia, perhaps one of the Infantas can attend. I love to see royal gatherings!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Zarzuela said (in an article from Elmundo) that JC had called Albert and explained to him that he couldn't make it to the wedding because of his slow recovery from the recent knee surgery. So Felipe isn't going because his father had accepted the invitation himself, father and son normally don't attend the event abroad together.
JC and Rainier were buddies, maybe JC saw Albert like a nephew, thus decided to attend the wedding himself. Too bad he couldn't make it.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Zarzuela said (in an article from Elmundo) that JC had called Albert and explained to him that he couldn't make it to the wedding because of his slow recovery from the recent knee surgery. So Felipe isn't going because his father had accepted the invitation himself, father and son normally don't attend the event abroad together.
JC and Rainier were buddies, maybe JC saw Albert like a nephew, thus decided to attend the wedding himself. Too bad he couldn't make it.
How credible is that? Even if JC was superfit I wouldnt have believed in a million years that he would have gone himself.
JC not going is no explaination at all that nobody is going. We've had the situation countless times before.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
How credible is that? Even if JC was superfit I wouldnt have believed in a million years that he would have gone himself.
JC not going is no explaination at all that nobody is going. We've had the situation countless times before.
JC did confirm his attendance (the following link). Infantas might be on trips with their kids since the school year is just over. Felipe has already made a commitment to sail in Valencia to honor his navy instructor. Sofia ? Don't know her plan. JC did attend Rainier's funeral alone without Sofia.
http://www.palais.mc/monaco/root/ban...OCOL_ORDER.pdf
Old 07-01-2011, 03:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder why only the King of Spain was invited when the whole swedish royal family is there? The story does not make sense.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:37 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
JC did confirm his attendance (the following link). Infantas might be on trips with their kids since the school year is just over. Felipe has already made a commitment to sail in Valencia to honor his navy instructor. Sofia ? Don't know her plan. JC did attend Rainier's funeral alone without Sofia.
http://www.palais.mc/monaco/root/ban...OCOL_ORDER.pdf
It is strange and not a good style. If JC wanted family members to represent him (many dignitaries are being represented, so no problem from Alberts side) he could have send plenty (Sofia, Princes, Infantas (daughters, sisters), all are well related, and it wouldnt matter if they had private plans or not. Instead, JC wants the SRF to deliberately miss this event, well, he will have his reasons to do so. A very rude and bizzare decision, it doesnt put the SRF or JC into a good light, not at all.

I dont believe the knee surgery to be a reason in any way, even though it is being used as excuse.
Now the schedule has changed anyway, JC will meet with Hillary Clinton on Saturday.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
It is strange and not a good style. If JC wanted family members to represent him (many dignitaries are being represented, so no problem from Alberts side) he could have send plenty (Sofia, Princes, Infantas (daughters, sisters), all are well related, and it wouldnt matter if they had private plans or not. Instead, JC wants the SRF to deliberately miss this event, well, he will have his reasons to do so. A very rude and bizzare decision, it doesnt put the SRF or JC into a good light, not at all.

I dont believe the knee surgery to be a reason in any way, even though it is being used as excuse.
Now the schedule has changed anyway, JC will meet with Hillary Clinton on Saturday.
Actually Yague from La Voz Libre gives a reasonable explanation - JC planned to attend the Monaco's wedding. As it's well known already he never attends overseas weddings as they are always princes/princesses ones. Albert however is Monaco's Head of State and JC felt obliged to attend. The Asturias family had, accordingly made their own plans and in accordance with the Spanish protocol, it's not up to them to represent the Spanish Royal Family at a Head of the State Wedding anyway - that's the King's responsibility.

Queen Sofia has attended overseas weddings without JC but they've always been family or close friends (like Britain, Denmark or Sweden). This is not the case with Monaco - they may had been close in the past, but most of it dissapeared with Rainier and Princess Grace gone.

It is still possible that JC can make a cameo appearance at the wedding but the news that he is meeting H Clinton on Saturday makes me doubt it. I think someone from the SRF will be there. Who? Who knows.

Frankly, in the big scheme of things, a wedding in Monaco is not a top priority in Spain.

La rodilla del Rey y Hillary Clinton, ¿excusas para faltar a la boda de Mónaco?
Old 07-01-2011, 05:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Juan Carlos appears in the guests' dossier, so he had confirmed officially his assistance, and the slow recovery of the knee surgery and Clinton's visit has prevented finally that he was travelling. The king did not go to a royal wedding (other than family) for years, so his intention to go it is a sign of respect to the Prince Albert.

The rest of the family, without plans of going, had other plans ... in addition there would be necessary to organize the trips, the accommodation, the wardrobe, Monaco would have to change the protocol of the guests because the order would change (with hundreds of authorities and guests, last-minute changes are a serious problem).
Old 07-01-2011, 05:13 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Not attending is rude & narrow minded.

Los desplantes de los Borbones a la familia Grimaldi

Although in Spanish media the "Olympiagate" is given as the root of the relations gone cold, usually personal issues do not play any part when protocol comes into play, it is very unusual to perform an open snub like this one.

When F&L got married in 2004, not only Albert attended but also Caroline & EA (who got so drunk the night before that he missed the church wedding).

And for the SRF to say we dont attend a "circus wedding" for image reasons in the current economic climate is a joke, the SRF should take a deep breath and a long look at themselves and bring their house in order, before being snobbish to others.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:17 AM
Nobility

I wouldn't be quoting Vaniatis. If we are speaking of rude, disgusting and plain awful, those are the adjectives that can apply to this website. They're the true exponent of yellow press - when they don't know what to write, they invent it.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
The rest of the family, without plans of going, had other plans ... in addition there would be necessary to organize the trips, the accommodation, the wardrobe, Monaco would have to change the protocol of the guests because the order would change (with hundreds of authorities and guests, last-minute changes are a serious problem).
That is a lame excuse ... it was clear the the King wouldnt be fit because of the knee surgery for weeks, its not that he broke his leg overnight or something.

If the rest of the family had other plans so what? Fact is if JC wanted other SRF members there, they would have gone, even last minute, they are used to change their schedule and Albert would have accommodated his. But he doesnt want any SRF members there, and the reason is not the knee surgery or Hillary Clinton visiting

Closed Thread