The Royal Family of Spain, Current Events Part 21: December 2010 - October 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I was wondering who this boy is sitting between Felipe and Letizia at the circus?

I too feel that even if they did go to Washington to visit that it would be top secret with the Urdangarins being persona non grata at the moment. It is sad for the children though to be almost estranged from their family through no fault of their own.

When is the annual diplomatic reception being held - its normally the 3rd week of so of january is it going to be later this year

Last edited:
According to his obituary in todays Telegraph his relationship with the King was decidely formal but no love lost between the 2 gentleman.

Correct, and for that reason the Princes and not the Kings will attend todays funeral.
Manuel Fraga - Telegraph

I do not think that is the reason, if they had to go they have gone, as they went to the funeral chapel.

But the funeral, it is not a state funeral, the King's presence is not necessary or appropriate. Fraga was one of the "father" of the Spanish Constitution, in recent years have died two others, and has been the Prince who has represented the Royal Family.

Why isn't it appropriate? If he wants to attend a funeral, he can.

As a private person he can attend, but officially he must treat everyone the same, more when we speak of representatives of political groups.

As a private person he can attend, but officially he must treat everyone the same, more when we speak of representatives of political groups.
but then, why did Prince of Asturias attend before?

That's what Lula is saying, because Prince Felipe went to the other "parents" of the Constitution's funerals, he's the one going to Fraga's. If the King had gone to this one it would have looked as if he was favoring a political party or a politician above the others.

The newspaper claimes that Congo ambassador refused to shake hands with the Princess of Asturias at the diplomatic gala.

Article in Spanish
Google translation into English

It seems to me, that not shaking hands with women is due to religious rules (Islamic?).
For example, at the same reception the ambassador of Iran Morteza Saffari Natanzi didn't shake hands with the Queen and the Princess.

The Congolese ambassador extended his hand to the Princess, and when she extended her hand, he left without shaking hands. No one knows why, if it was a religious matter, as in the Iranian case, he had greeted her with his head and had not extended his hand.

... No one knows why, if it was a religious matter, as in the Iranian case, he had greeted her with his head and had not extended his hand.
Thanks, lula, I've noticed the bow too.
I wish we had more info from reliable media.

Thank You for the information.
It seems to have been a very frustrating moment for Princess Letizia, if it were a religious protocol,Letizia should have known it, I guess.

Thank You for the information.
It seems to have been a very frustrating moment for Princess Letizia, if it were a religious protocol,Letizia should have known it, I guess.

Why did he shake Sofia's hand if it were a religious protocol ? I doubt there is a protocol you can only shake mom or grandma's hand (that's about the only explanation I can come up with) LOL :lol:.

This incident is so bizarre! However, I want to say that Princess Letizia handled it all very well; she did act surprised but maintained her place and continued to extend her hand to the other guests. Good for her!

This incident is so bizarre! However, I want to say that Princess Letizia handled it all very well; she did act surprised but maintained her place and continued to extend her hand to the other guests. Good for her!

I felt bad for her! Very awkward, but she handled it as best as she could.

Well the Congo "diplomat" sure embarrassed himself and his country today by acting that way towards the future Queen of Spain. Long gone are the days when people respected royals, at least in public. What he did was rude, but Letizia showed true class, although she did look shocked that is to be expected when one is treated in such a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom