The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Gentry

It's very nice to see the SRF being affectionate and supportive of their people. On the other hand, it's quite terrible to see again these kind of images and what they represent.
Regarding the Letizia/sunglasses issue...IMHO, we shouldn't criticise a single fact without looking into its context. I believe she behaved in a warm and sober manner throughout the event (I'm not a fan, I'm just trying to be fair...that's all).

Thanks for posting all the pics and videos.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Royal Highness

What did the officer die from, why was it a state funeral?

Old 12-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
Civil guard Raúl Centeno was killed by ETA in a terrorist attack in Capbreton (south of France). He was taking part of a watchout operation against ETA in that location.
Another Spanish Civil guard, who took part in the same operation, was gravely hurt.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1
Raul Centeno, officer of the Civil Guard, was killed on duty, during an operation against suspected members of the Basque Separatist group ETA
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 12-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Aristocracy

Julia G-R

To Marenostrum: I disagree with you. I think Letizia conducted herself as what she is "La Princesa de Asturias" and putting on sunglasses is not a mortal sin. She embraced the family members with warmth, specially the mother of the slain officer. She was dignified at all times.
To all the membersLThis is the first time I write but I must say I enjoy all of your comments. Thank you to all the members who are always posting the pictures.
Julia (Cubana en los Estados Unidos)
Old 12-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abc View Post
Yeah, it was terrible. The queen would never do something like that because everybody knows she is perfect. To me the Queen should have waited a little before to put on her sunglasses.

But hey, Can we focus on what is important and forget this terrible incident?
LOL . The Queen was seen with her sunglasses on too. She must have taken it out of her purse since there is no lady-in-waiting carrying the purse and handing the sunglasses over to her.
I don't understand why this particular Sofia's fan always felt the need to put down Letizia in order to rasie the status of her favorites. Nobody here denies that Sofia is a great queen.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm so sorry for Raul's family
this madness should come to an end, they cannot go on and kill our people just because we don't agree with them
I'm mostly a republican myself, but ETA is a disgrace to our country and no freedom should be gained this way

To Raul's family: this is for you:

Cuando la pena nos alcanza,
del compañero perdido.
Cuando el adiós dolorido,
busca en la fe su esperanza.
En tu palabra confiamos
con la certeza que Tú
ya le has devuelto a la vida,
ya le has llevado a la luz.
Ya le has devuelto a la vida,
ya le has llevado a la luz.

(La Muerte no es el final,
Cesáreo Gabaráin Azurmendi/Tomás Asiaín)

The SRF makes a statement by going to funerals but I believe that just the presence of the Kings or the Princes would have been enough, not all of them; I wouldn't have wanted to be seen crying all over the TV, but that's only me

That is the least important thing of this event though, all that matters is that ETA collected another life in their oh-so-important path to freedom, they are a disgrace for Spain and a shame for us all pacific republicans
Old 12-03-2007, 05:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
LOL . The Queen was seen with her sunglasses on too. She must have taken it out of her purse since there is no lady-in-waiting carrying the purse and handing the sunglasses over to her.
I don't like sunglasses on both ladies since IMO it looks inappropriate for the occasion (distant) but since Queen Sofia does it it must be ok . Looks tacky somehow. I mean the men always do without glasses so why are the women not able to do the same? I can't recall any event as such (or eg National Day) where the King or Felipe were seen in sunglasses.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:35 AM
Moderator Emeritus

THe Kings and the Princes of Asturias attends the Spanish Civil Guard's Rul Centeno's funeral ceremony at the Spanish Civil Guard headquarters in Madrid, Spain, 02 December 2007. Centeno, 24, was shot dead and his comrade Fernando Trapero was seriously injured 01 December 2007 in Cap-Breton, some 60 km from Bayona (France) as they had worked in a anti-terrorist vigilance operation in cooperation with French police. Apparently both Spanish policemen were recognized by three ETA terrorist band's members as they had breakfast in a coffe shop in Capbreton (France).

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6...review1fx9.png
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9...review1eo5.jpg
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/7...review1vg2.png
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/9...review1zx3.jpg
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9...review4hj5.jpg
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8...review5qh2.png
Old 12-03-2007, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

What a sad day for the SRF & the families of those who died, I admire them for being so close to the people/families on such days. Thank you for the pictures
Old 12-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Moderator Emeritus

King and Queen of Spain and Princess of Asturias attend the funeral of Raul Centeno, murdered by ETA.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5...peparchoh7.png
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/248...peparchxw2.png
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2...peparchkn8.png
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7...lettypenm6.png
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1...peparchqo4.png
Old 12-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I don't like sunglasses on both ladies since IMO it looks inappropriate for the occasion (distant) but since Queen Sofia does it it must be ok . Looks tacky somehow. I mean the men always do without glasses so why are the women not able to do the same? I can't recall any event as such (or eg National Day) where the King or Felipe were seen in sunglasses.
has it ever occured to anyone that it might just be too bright for the naked eyes, seeing that this is a daytime event, and that they are uncomfortable with it? i can't believe everybody's picking on the women wearing sunglasses like it's the biggest mistake in the whole world. come on you guys, there are more serious topics here.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 AM

The men are wearing hats with brims that block the sun, the women are not. I think it is unfair to criticize.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Gallery from ABC
Los Reyes y los Príncipes presiden el funeral de Raúl Centeno
Old 12-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Marie
The men are wearing hats with brims that block the sun, the women are not. I think it is unfair to criticize.
You're right D. Marie!, it is OBVIOUS why men don't wear sunglasses.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Marie View Post
It's no critizism, just an observation. I can't recall Jaime or Inaki, who don't wear hats with brims, wearing sunglasses on the National Day For some reason only the ladies wear glasses, Queen, Letizia & Infantas.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Personally I think the sunglasses "issue" is being blown out of all proportion, one only need look at this photo to see Sofia and Letizia are not the only figures wearing sunglasses.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...y/78208389.jpg

I don't see anybody on this thread criticising the nun on the far right of this picture!
Old 12-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Royal Highness

What´s wrong about the Queen and Letizia wearing sunglassses?The Spanish Royal Family are always present be it in festivities or sad events like this. I thought they were very sympathetic to the families of the victims.
I live in a Republican country, but I am a Monarchist. When there was the worst ever plane accident here in Brasil, our President didn´t even show himself and only commented about it some days after. That is Shameful.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
Personally I think the sunglasses "issue" is being blown out of all proportion, one only need look at this photo to see Sofia and Letizia are not the only figures wearing sunglasses.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...y/78208389.jpg

I don't see anybody on this thread criticising the nun on the far right of this picture!
It is being blown incredibly out of proportion! The sun's glare can be very dangerous! NOTHING wrong with wearing sunglasses to protect the eyes! Someone was killed by a terrorist and yet people are picking on the Queen and the Princess because they wore sunglasses to protect their eyes from the sun's rays??!!!! Wrong priorities here, IMO.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Gentry

I cannot believe the one that I am reading...a man has been assassinated, the kings and the princes are with their family and this is the important thing. CClear that to make critics harmful always it is time, even taking advantage of a misfortune. The behavior of the princess like always, unit.

Closed Thread