Princess Letizia's Family, News Part 4: February 2008 - May 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing strange, the girls are first cousins.
You know how Caroline Kennedy and Maria Shriver look, do you? Like twins!

Beautiful pictures, thank you everyone! :flowers:
The pictures the Asturias family are very sweet; while part of me wishes they remained private (it was a family event, after all), I'm also glad we got to see them.

I agree with you Artemisia.

Duke, the case is more complicated. Telma has been a victim of an illegal espionage plot being investigated, the press has paid for her private data. What Jaime wrote in his first letter and that shocked and offended some "journalists" has been confirmed later by police. Now they are waiting for the police to find out who made ​​the request, and then take legal action.

They suspect that the exclusive photos of recent weeks have not been obtained by the smart work of photographers, but there could be something else behind. As in the previous occasion, if he writes what he writes is because he knows something, so we just have to wait.

"I'm getting strange vibes from him and this marriage. I hope they move on to New York soon and are never heard of again in the media. Isnt this what they have always wanted?"

What do you mean by "strange vibes for this marriage"? Frankly, their marriage is none of our business - and yes, that's what Telma, and now Jaime as well, want.

Telma never wanted to be a public figure - she's been fighting the relentless intromission of the press in Spain in her private life forever. She is NOT the Crown Princess, her sister is. She, and her daughter, have the right to be private, normal citizens because that's who they are, and CHOSE to be.

I think most posters on this thread are well aware the pictures were obtained without their permission, and why it was wished the pictures could have remained private. As Lula said, Telma has been a victim to illegal espionage, which investigation by police is going on in Spain right now. It kind of reminds me of the hack phone scandal in the UK and how it all started.

It's early days, and we need to wait - but bravo to Jaime del Burgo for protecting his family, wife and new daughter.

El Pais has been running the story on the data espionage for the past two days.

La red de tráfico de datos mantenía estrechos contactos con agentes del CNI | Política | EL PAÍS
Espionaje en masa | Opinión | EL PAÍS
Espionaje
“Isabel, necesito un mes de movimientos de una cuenta del BBVA. Dame precio” | PolÃ*tica | EL PAÍS
Jordi, el detective y falso doctor | Política | EL PAÍS

Last edited:
99% of those pictures taken in Italy somehow include the Asturias family, so its not about del Burgo or Telma alone.
If he goes outside to take a stroll on the beach holding Leonor's hand, well, its naive to believe there is no photographer to take pictures and that these pictures will be printed. In terms of privacy, there is none when showing up in public with public figures, even when private persons are involved. I dont say its good or bad, its the way it is.

I've read about those stories of data theft and its wrong, I hope those who are responsible will be fined. However, its nothing new, I remember that the press used criminal methods to get hold of Mette Marit of Norway's whereabouts when she was still Haakon's girlfriend.

99.99% of the photographs are taken inside - a place Jaime de Burgo paid of his own pocket for his wedding. His privacy is protected in Spain, independently where the pictures were taken. If the beach is part of the package he paid for, those pictures are also illegal.

You may dismiss a criminal investigation into the hacking and selling of personal information as "being the way it is" - I don't. This has serious ramifications involving all our lives and our right to privacy.

What happened in Norway is regrettable but I don’t have enough information to comment on, or wish to. Nor is my country. Spain is.

Last edited:
Jaime del Burgo writes another flaming letter
Jaime del Burgo, el marido de Telma Ortiz, arremete contra Telecinco y Vasile

I'm getting strange vibes from him and this marriage. I hope they move on to New York soon and are never heard of again in the media. Isnt this what they have always wanted?

duke - Forgive me, but I do not understand your issues are with Telma and her suitors. Perhaps I am dense, or I am missing something.

From what I know, Telma has been hounded by the press since day one, and she has taken often extreme steps to stay out of the way. If she was truly a limelight loving gold-digger, she would have led a different live post Letizia's marriage.

Instead, she stayed overseas doing her usual work, got a normal boy-friend from her professional circle, came home to start putting roots and have a family, tried desperately to not be in the papers.

And how was she rewarded? Journalists almost ran her down in heavily pregnant state 24x7 with no privacy at all, with all sorts of salacious rumor mongering. When her boy-friend had enough and launched the lawsuit, instead of sympathizing with their case, many amongst us turned against them. It was horrid.

I remember seeing a picture where Telma's boyfriend had put cardboards on his car window, had Telma sit in the back with their newborn baby, and bring their baby home from the hospital, at night, through the backdoor. Inspite of this, they still got photographed, and then sneered upon.

What had Telma done up to that point to merit this behavior by both the press, and we, the general public?

It was post Amanda's birth that the alwsuit was launched. Can we blame the boyfriend for wanting to protect his family? No wonder he cracked and Telma was left to pick the pieces of her life.

and now the same thing is happening again.....and we again, from our ivory towers, are ill-judging them, all because they are trying to protect their privacy.

A negative connotation is put on every single incident, every single picture. It is as if a narrative as been established - Telma is a promiscuous gold-digger, a media whore. Thus no matter what the reality is, the narrative is reinforced. this is grossly unfair.

What happens when Telma and her husband come back after a coupel of years in NY? Will all hell break loose again? Why must she be repeatedly run out of her own country to lead a normal life?

If Thelma really wanted the spotlight, she would have led a very different life.

Last edited:
I think what went wrong from the beginning is that the SRF did not give a certain protection to Letizia's family. At some point things got out of hand and they were used as a lightning rod or to suit other people's agendas. What has happened over the years is unprecedented when comparing to other royal siblings. The press went over the top, the lawsuit was over the top. Obviously people in Spain like to read such stories, otherwise there would be no platform in the media.

The situation now is a complete standoff and hopefully moving to NY will bring the Ortiz family out of the headlines.

:previous:

Agree, Duke.
But: how can you protect Letizias Family? Just ASKING the press not to photograph them??? Haha, maybe good idea, but not working.

Also there are no really good examples from other RFs. The Duchess of Cambridge comes to my mind, but I have the impression, that her family LOVES being in the limelight of attention.
The father of Mette-Marit -- no, not a good choice :eek:.
From Maximas sister, we also just heard, that her sister seems to suffer from a severe depression. So no secret here as well.
So where are the real good examples, that a certain protection for the non-royal family is working?
Bye Bine

The princess and her family are very profitable for the press, the royal house did not bother to protect them, first to not receive criticism for it and partly because as the press spoke of them did not speak on other matters rather more serious and dangerous (King's private life, Iñaki's business). Now the situation is changing and we will see how things change in the future.

I think the family of the Princess of Asturias has been the least protected and treated worse, not only by the press, but by the Royal House itself.

Letizia's grandmother Menchu, father Jesus Ortiz and aunt Henar Ortiz are declared as suspects in court re a possible insolvency offence. On Friday, Menchu ​​Álvarez del Valle is summoned to testify before court, imputed for consealment of assets, according to the High Court of Justice of Asturias.

Reason is a claim of a former business associate of Henar Ortiz, asking back the amount of 23,000 euros. Subsequently, all three family members are accused of an accounting maneuver in order to preserve the family home in Ribadesella (served as security).

La abuela de Letizia, imputada en un caso de alzamiento de bienes

Menchu Alvarez del Valle (C), the grandmother of Spanish princess Letizia Ortiz leaves court in Cangas de Onis on July 20, 2012 where she was charged of concealing assets. Del Valle arrived at court today to answer charges linked with the transfer of property in an attempt to hide assets.

Belga picture gallery

La abuela de Letizia declara ante el juez

I wonder what is the problem? If I understand correctly, Jesus and Henar have to go through the same procedure at a later stage since they are co-owners of the house (my guess is when the grandfather died, the widow Menchu inherited one half and the children Jesus and Henar share the other half). A loan was taken out against the house (which all three owners would have to sign) and for that reason it cannot be used as an asset by the people who claim that Henar ows them 23.000 Euros.

If Henar owns 23.000 Euros, why does she put her family through such an ordeal? She could do another interview with Hola (as she has done before), talk a bit about her niece and there is the money.

:previous:
Or maybe she may be innocent and it's a misunderstanding or attempt to exploit Henar?
The legal proceedings will show.

If there is no substance to the claim in the first place, why do all owners have to show up at court to explain the re-mortgaging (which is illegal in case there is a substanciated claim)?
I am not saying Henar is guilty, I am only saying I dont understand the process.

Neither do I, to be honest.
Time will tell how things develop, but this is certainly not welcome news for the SRF.

The press has not really able to explain what has happened, the information is very confusing and the media is only helping to confuse it more.

The only thing that the press agrees is that a lady called Henar an old debt, and in the investigation, the prosecution has decided to allocate to Menchu​​, Jesus and Henar for an economic movement that supposedly would prevent the charge of that debt.

But really the origin of the debt, the process and the data are not known, so the press is speculating and copying each other.

If there is no substance to the claim in the first place, why do all owners have to show up at court to explain the re-mortgaging (which is illegal in case there is a substanciated claim)?
I am not saying Henar is guilty, I am only saying I dont understand the process.
I am not familiar with the Spanish legal system but in many countries if you are accused rightly or wrongly of something you have to answer to subpoenas and the court then decides if you are guilty of anything. Sometimes people will throw a large net over many people with the hope of snagging someone with money. If you are "lucky" enough of snagging someone that for some reasons do not what to be in the news then a settlement may be forthcoming whether the party was legally obligated or not.

The only option is to wait, maybe when the process ends we will have more reliable information.

The mixture of information and data in the press that does not lead to a clear conclusion, shows only misinformation and the desire to pollute the story.

Barrientos always manipulating the data to create her own stories. The reality is that they had no choice, probably all would have been happier without photographers, but photographers were there, and in that case or you take it normally, or they destroy the wedding party.

The news that there would be a celebration at that place on July 7 was published by a magazine a month before, so photographers followed the news and the family and there were several photographers from different agencies.

The Asturias are outside their country and on private trip, in such circumstances only personal bodyguards are accompanying them. The work of the bodyguards is to know that there are photographers and have them checked... they can prevent a paparazzi to take pictures, but not a group of paparazzi. In such cases all they can do is let them work and keep them under surveillance, is the only way to avoid a security problem or create a scandal.

Barrientos will be disappointed because she probably would have preferred to create a scandal to criticize the princess and her family, rather than see a normal family photos.

If the Prince and Princess would like to make an image campaign, would have hundreds of opportunities to do so, without having to do it with people who do not want to appear in the press and who has always been discreet.

The Princess of Asturias and her daughters are the most profitable persons for the Spanish press... if they want to take advantage of that circumstance, the Spanish press would be happy to do business.

Last edited:
but why in this case would Del Burgo file a lawsuit against the distribution of those pictures for invading privacy when his brother in law tolerated them being around and even walked around outside the resort taking along Leonor & Sofia.

Duke, they are two totally different things. Hola magazine only published the photos where the Asturias appear, and did not mention anyone else.

Jaime de Burgo, his family, the family of the Princess are private persons, they have no public responsibility. So they have the right and freedom to claim their privacy.

The Prince and Princess of Asturias, are public figures, with public responsibility. They are probably the first who want to preserve their privacy, but not always it is possible. And they often have to resign. Not that they allow or not allow them to photograph, is that sometimes there is no choice, unless they want to create more problems. They do not have that freedom.

Personally I think, the Asturias have been victims of the disastrous way the House of King has dealt with the media. The press has changed, but as the King was not their "victim", in the House of the King did not change anything. Things should have changed, should have agreements and limits, and the House of the King should go to court when necessary. As with any European monarchy. But until they change the relation between the Royal Family / House and the press, the Asturias are trapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom