Princess Letizia, Current Events Part 8: December 2006 - March 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People, please!

As it was stated several times before by the Moderators of the Spanish Forums, this thread is intended to Princess Letizia's Current Events, and not to a discussion of why she isn't around.

Consider this the last warning. If the thread is derailed again, the members responsible for that will face disciplinary action.

thank you,
Anna_R
Spanish Forums Moderator

I think we aren't going to see Princess Letizia for a long time, but that is good, she needs time to recover for that terrible lost.

I agree between her sister's lost and her pregnancy she will be in seclusion for a while. I don't blame her.

I'm not sure we will not see her. She is very strong and could surprise us.
For the moment she nedds some calm and have to sleep.
After such a terrible thing the body reacts here in France we say "les nerfs qui tombent". I hope she wll have forces to affront that.

Article from "ABC":

Revalidation for a Princess

ANTONIO BURGOS

In that house of the playera urbanization, we are going to put Sotogrande not to give tracks, was that silence that only exists in the houses of the rich ones. In that house of the playera urbanization, we are going to put Guadalmina to confuse, was that Central European silence that gives the money. The owner of the house had invited to likeable little dinner a group of friends. They were already in the coffee and the mint penny royal of the terrace of targets butacones. Glasses and charlita. They left to shine the Princes of Asturias, of course. The presents were of tried the old monarchic observance, but of the sect of which they release. In order to be brief: of that it seemed to them bad at his moment that the King legalized the PCE. They put Doña Letizia as they are accustomed to: as they do not love owners. And of the Prince, nor I tell you what they released.

It was in the tertulieta, coffee and ignited habano, jamando started off, an old monarchist. Of those of Estoril. Of the old liberal ones of the Count of Barcelona. Tratábase of a retired notary of Madrid, that during the supper had given a recital of talent and sharpness, dominating of that already almost as little good as the water that is the art of the conversation. Its shining loquacity in the table had trocado in evident mutismo and patent during the crossings of invectives, jokes of Sabina and badly taste and several cuchufletas (whatever it is against the Princess of Asturias.

When seeing it so silent, the owner of the house tried to sonsacar it:
-It is necessary to see the silence that you have remained suddenly - said to him, with the ocurrente that there are been in the supper. That we want to know your opinion: who seems to be Letizia for you?
And the old monarchist, very serious, sentenced:
-Well, it seems to me that Doña Letizia is the Princess of Asturias and that's flat.

A silence was made immediately of culpability. A silence of a rich, rich, rich house. And they began to speak of the time and the likeable dinners that were in other houses of friends for the coming nights under stars.

Aside from a gentleman, the retired notary of Madrid, to which now memory in that exemplary lesson of loyalty to the Institution with a single phrase, appears to me as a fortune teller. In the recent and painful events of the tragic death of “her little sister”, to many of us it has seemed just like to the retired notary, monarchist of Estoril: that Doña Letizia is the Princess of Asturias. Enough the Princess of Asturias. She has surpassed the cyclical and permanent revalidation that in Spain we put under the royal people. There is republicanotes that says that each certain number of years is better to choose a president, appearing in the ballot boxes. Until as opposed to that argument she leaves triumphant the Monarchic Institution: to the Kings, the Princes and the Infantas a greater control of quality is demanded from them. They must spend the ITV every day, appear constantly before the ballot boxes of the public opinion. In Spain that proclaims itself mayoritamente “juancarlista”, of the King down all the members of the Royal Family have to prove every day the selectivity. His Majesty, as he removed “cum laude” in the television speech whereupon he stopped 23-F, has already approved by course. But to the Princes of Asturias he demands himself to them that they surpass the daily selectivity. Doña Letizia has surpassed now, and to what price of pain, her revalidation of the Princess of Asturias. From the death of Lady Di, to the town republicanote and juancarlista enchant to them that their Kings stick taking to cry important, that they are human, “like us”. It is demanded that the solemn spacing of the magic of the Monarchy is replaced by the identification and proximity with the town. From the Kings, who before were educated not to express their feelings in public, now it is demanded that they jump when corear the goal of the selection of soccer; that the hands are broken applauding; that they cover with kisses and they embrace the artists. That they cry. That they are not as the Kings always were, but as we want them to be. Doña Letizia has learned so or her office to the Spanish and approved with so good she notices this revalidation of the pain, that has made see us, live, the same tears of Doña Sofía when the Yakolev or 11-M. Like the old monarchic notary, every time I know clearlier that Doña Letizia is the Princess of Asturias. And that's flat.

Dear LCM, I knew this article, reed an other forum, many thanks for the translation and to put it to share because it's an very revealing text about the Princess of Asturias.

At the risk of appearing ignorant what exactly is the writer saying please.

Thanks Lula!
This article is a great truth and it´s really exciting and sincere.We are a lot who admire to princess Letizia.

I like the article. You can never know the true character of a woman until you've met her or actually talk to her even for just a few seconds.. In case of Letizia, I don't know but I simply adore her from the first time I saw her pictures up until now..:wub:

Thanks for the videos, agm, nice to know they aren't getting lost.

Now we all know that "Letizia likes being criticized", what are we going to do of this piece of information? We also learnt that she is a fan of one of our forum members: congratulations, lula!

I hadn't seen the third video before. It's weird, it looks like a documentary on Letizia's work that was being recorded as she was working in the Prestige disaster coverage.
The fisherman shouting "Letizia, you are gonna fall down!" :lol:.
What could have been the purpose of filming her like that at that time?

Duncan said:
What could have been the purpose of filming her like that at that time?

There are many images that are not emitted in the TV news articles, but rescued this material of the archives to do this special one and to show how the future princess worked, when she was journalist. When those images were taken, she was not still fiancèe of the prince.:rolleyes:

TVE did a very interesting documentary, was a good opportunity to obtain hearing, had the advantage of which Letizia worked with them and had many unpublished images hers.;)

(sorry for my Inglish)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the video ! Letizia has been a good reporter and now she is a good princess !

Thanks for the beautiful video's. Letizia is really great!

I have really liked much this videos.
To see the dedication, the delivery and the passion that Letizia put to her work is a true pleasure. She was and continuous being a great professional.

Yesterday's column by Peñafiel dealt with last week's small controversy about the erratic information policy of the royal house concerning the rumour Letizia and/or Felipe had gone to the Valdebernardo apartment in the morning the sister was found.
On February 11 Peñafiel wrote a column criticizing the royal house advisors for having prevented Letizia from going to meet her parents at the apartment, but as the newspaper was published a note had to be included in which it was stated that the royal house denied having prevented Letizia from going and confirmed she did go.

Mi semana
Jaime Peñafiel

Story of a “Clarification”

As a believer, when I sin, I regret it; as person, when I offend someone, I apologize; and as journalist, when I am mistaken, I always correct myself.

Today’s chronicle is the story of a clarification note that was misunderstood and misinterpreted by many people who, even in good faith, taught it had been published following a demand of the Royal House concerning an information mentioned last Sunday in my weekly column in the Crónica supplement [of the newspaper El Mundo], which is printed on Saturday morning. It could hardly be this way, since the clarifying note was inserted, at my request, on Saturday evening, when the newspaper edition was about to close, since it was materially impossible to include a longer chronicle. For all these reasons, it was impossible for the Zarzuela [i.e., the Royal House] to have requested a correction on a story that they did not know yet and that would not be published until Sunday morning. All those who saw the mentioned explanation a slanted, tricky or mistaken, or who simply did not understand it, as Eduardo Sotillos, a member of a discussion panel at the TV channel La Sexta (“it comes as a surprise that the only correction demanded by the Zarzuela about everything that has been published on the death of Érika has been precisely directed to that guru of the monarchy, Jaime Peñafiel”), force to me to remind them that the Royal House has always been very respectful, exquisitely respectful, I would say, towards my freedom of expression, even if sometimes they do not share my opinions or I go too far in expressing these opinions, being as they are subjectively critical.

A clear demonstration of the fluid relationship the House maintains with this journalist [meaning himself, Peñafiel] is the story that will be the topic for today’s column and that I proceed to tell.

Érika’s Parents, the Only Ones Who Could

Because of the respect due to the parents of the ill-fated young woman, Zarzuela Palace, always so cautious when dealing with certain subjects, abstained from issuing any news on the matter, from the very moment in which the tragic death of Érika was known. They thought that this responsibility fell on Jesus Ortiz, her father. They only accepted to give the collaboration and help that was requested to them in what concerned the deployment of security personnel around number 40 of Ladera de los Almendros Street, in the Madrilenian district of Valdebernardo, where Érika had lived since her sister handed the apartment over to her when she married. As a result of this lack of information and the impossibility to get confirmation neither by the Royal House nor, by all means, by the Ortiz family about the whole crazy flow of news and rumors arising in the late morning of last Wednesday, people started taking for true some facts that could have happened, or could be happening or not, inside the walls of the apartment in which Érika had been found. The only fact that was possible to confirm was the presence of the parents (although nobody saw them), the first ones to arrive after they were informed by Roberto García, the young woman’s boyfriend.

Sister Courage

The first thing I was interested to find out, as all other journalists, was whether Letizia had also gone to her sister’s home. We all came to assume that she had been advised not to go, given her advanced state of pregnancy. This was the impression I reflected in my Crónica column. The matter could have remained like this, without a denial being issued. However, when I heard journalist Gustavo González, on the Antena 3 program Where Are You My Heart?, saying that the one who possibly did go was the Prince, I was compelled to contact the Real House. Don Juan González Cebrián, director of external relations of the Zarzuela with the Press, who had just arrived from Germany, where he had accompanied the King, strongly denied to me Don Felipe’s presence in Valdebernardo, but he admitted, without me asking him, the presence of Letizia, who, as soon as she learnt the tragic news from her father, ran to her sister’s apartment. And she went alone. Alone with her pain. It is not known whether it happened so because the Prince was attending a hearing at the moment (oh, those terrible servitudes and sacrifices of the position!). The meeting with her parents, before the corpse of her sister, will always be for her the most dramatic moment of her life. At that moment, her role as a princess became the role of a sister courage. That moment had to be no less terribly dramatic for Jesús Ortiz and Paloma Rocasolano, facing as they were the greatest tragedy parents can experience: surviving the death of a daughter. This journalist, unfortunately, knows what it means suffering this kind of pain [as Peñafiel’s daughter also died in strange circumstances]. My first thoughts went for them. When Letizia was convinced that nothing more had to be done [se convenció de que ya nada había que hacer], she returned to the Zarzuela, devastated.

Unlike queen María Cristina, who, as I referred in the previous Crónica column, was forced by Prime Minister Cánovas to attend an opera gala while her husband, king Alfonso XII, was agonizing, in Letizia’s case no Cánovas could have been enough to prevent her from running to where she believed she had to be. Even if it had to be alone, alone with her pain.
- EL MUNDO | Suplemento cronica 590 - Mi semana

Last edited:
Thank you for the videos. She is still as much a professional as she was as a journalist. Does anyone know how to save the video's?

I wonder when Peñafiel will be late in way, wing turn to his former defamation and the wicked commentaries.:rolleyes:

It is curious how he has changed the tone. His first article after Erica's death, was wicked, terrible. Later he has been relaxing ... normal, for his first article he got tremendous critiques of many people. He overcame the limits that the people could support and one has force to rectifying.
Besides, the attitude of the Princess, Ortiz Rocasolano and the Royal Family did not put on it easily.

True, lula, but nevertheless I see a hint of wickedness in his remark about Felipe not going with Letizia because of that alleged hearing (supposedly held in some other room at the Palace, but not registered in his official agenda).
Also, in the sentence about "Letizia was convinced that there was nothing left to do" (se convenció de que ya nada había que hacer) he uses a forced syntax open to different interpretations.
Above all, I think Peñafiel wants to stress that his powerful contacts with the royal house remain intact.

Last edited:
If Felipe had gone to Erika's apartment, the old man probably would have accused Letizia behaving so unprofessionally and rudely by interrupting her prince's important audience, accused her being so inconsiderate at the safety of the heir by dragging him to a populated apartment building without the security check in advance. The old man will never change, he was merely toning down a little for his own benefits right now :lol:.

From everything I hear about Penefiel he sounds like a real nut case! Why do the Spanish even give him the time of day!
For him to accuse Letizia of being responsible for her sister's death is unthinkably evil. You would think he'd have empathy given his own personal experience, but no, he's completely hateful and heartless!

Aurora810 said:
That's great for Letizia. She won by somewhat of a large margin. I'm surprised the votes weren't closer than that. I as well love her style, pregnant or not! :)

I was really surprised too because last time I checked the poll, Mary was way ahead of Letizia and Maxima! Anyway I'm glad that she won, her style is always so simple yet lovely, (except perhaps for that grey dress she wore recently). :rolleyes:

...sOfIa.... said:
I was really surprised too because last time I checked the poll, Mary was way ahead of Letizia and Maxima! Anyway I'm glad that she won, her style is always so simple yet lovely, (except perhaps for that grey dress she wore recently). :rolleyes:

By reading the other board, Letizia was already ahead the second day of voting. It's just another silly poll of Hola or Hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom