Princess Letizia, Current Events Part 3: April - July 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.europapress.es/europa2003/noticia.aspx?cod=20050418150004&tabID=1

Paloma Rocasolano celebrated her birthday last Friday, next to the Princes of Asturias and Erika Ortiz. The great absentee was her youngest daughter, Telma, who is in Indonesia with the Red Cross, aiding the victims of the tsunami. The evening extended until midnight, when Doña Letizia Ortiz and Don Felipe de Borbón left the Madrilenian home of the mother.

Previously, the cameras have caught Paloma Rocasolano shopping in a shopping centre, where the reporters congratulated her and asked if she would like Doña Letizia to announce her pregnancy, as a birthday gift.

Since these photos...
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=200735&postcount=9

speculations go on, and on, and on...

http://www.larazon.es/loteria/noticias/noti_gen48017.htm

It was an affectionate gesture, revealing that something is happening. An image is worthier than thousands of words.

At the time of saying goodbye to the Princes of Asturias, Doña Letizia gave back the Queen’s warm foulard that she had previously borrowed. Although the Princess was dressed in an wool jacket, it was not enough for her. For that reason, Her Magesty promptly sent her foulard to Letizia.

In case that complicity between mother and daughter-in-law was not explicit, before the last kiss, the Queen insisted on her cares towards Doña Letizia. There are things, moments, details... that do not fit in the protocol. The concern was obvious.

Elsa M. said:
http://www.europapress.es/europa2003/noticia.aspx?cod=20050418150004&tabID=1

Paloma Rocasolano celebrated her birthday last Friday, next to the Princes of Asturias and Erika Ortiz. The great absentee was her youngest daughter, Telma, who is in Indonesia with the Red Cross, aiding the victims of the tsunami. The evening extended until midnight, when Doña Letizia Ortiz and Don Felipe de Borbón left the Madrilenian home of the mother.

Previously, the cameras have caught Paloma Rocasolano shopping in a shopping centre, where the reporters congratulated her and asked if she would like Doña Letizia to announce her pregnancy, as a birthday gift.
there isn't photos from this party?

El Mundo has published an article on all the non-sense and rumours written about the princess of Asturias, during the last year:

http://www.elmundo.es/suplementos/cronica/2005/496/1113688814.html

GEOGRAPHY OF RUMOURS

By Carmen Duerto

1. GEOGRAPHY OF AN EMBARRASSING RUMOUR
On the first wedding anniversary, the sum up all the rumours on hypothetic pregnancies can even urge the outburst of laughter. Even the Princes take it with certain humour.

When the wedding anniversary of Princes de Asturias approaches, the anxiety for the future maternity of Doña Letizia doesn’t slow down. But the contrary, the security how the truths are affirmed increases more than ever. This one is the geography of a rumour, with several neuralgic points (Barcelona, Valencia, Santiago and Madrid)… and with many deep throats.

Sometimes the source of the news is "a doctor of all confidence", others, the very same "doctor of Letizia". And on many other occasions, it is a “friend”, who has an informer, who swears to know a guy that... I.e., rumours and more rumours.

Once the wedding was announced, immediately the romours began. And many people started imagining - others almost demanding - that the future couple should immediately have a baby. And on the first opportunity, it was asked to the fiancèe if she liked children and the name she would give to the first child of them. Pelayo, it could be. When the wedding ceremony of May 22nd was finished, then began the rumours of pregnancy. The month of honeymoon seemed perfect to order the creature, but the days passed by, and there was no announcement.

In the middle of September, it seemed that the rumours were starting again. The Prince himself, during a visit to Santiago, recommended the journalists: "do not be victims of the rumours of others". Her wife added: "the rumours on the pregnancy will always exist. When the news comes to be truth, you will be first ones to know". They already knew that it would inevitably happen, just as they are prepared for the rumours on eventual disagreements too. They face it as part of their work. And more: the pressure about the pregnancy (a fact which, on the other hand, every recent married couples have to face) does not make them feel uncomfortable at all.

In the meanwhile, with each rumour that is invented, new data comes to people speculate on. There even appeared a supposed "doctor of Letizia", called Ana, who had even hired a manager to sell her merchandise on television: it has happened everything: an abortion, ties of tubes... everything is worth. A common pregnancy does not sell… It is necessary to add something extra...

However, the figure of the doctor soon takes off his mask: she is nothing more than the ex-wife of a professor from a Valencian Institute of Fertility, who was dismissed, after the abandonment of her lover, who, for several times, had requested her to stop telling “truths” that only happen in her imagination.

Then, before the end of 2004, the speculations were once again multiplying, relating the supposed infertility of the Princess to a past tie of tubes. But, according to the doctors, that would be something strange, in a woman who has just turning 32 years and that has not had children. For a couple of weeks, rumours returned to this subject, until December, when a commentator dropped a bomb, simultaneously on a television and radio: "I believe that, before 2005, the Royal House will announce the pregnancy of Doña Letizia, and this one could come from Valencia". To be clearer: the Princess of Asturias is receiving treatments in the IVI. Immediately, the direction of the centre categorically denied the news. This one is still the mother of all the rumours, especially when someone, with an absolute assurance, gives the exact date when the Princess arrives, at night and by helicopter, to the IVI. The Dexeus clinic also is added to the listing of peregrination sites of the presumably infertile Princess.

2. OTHER VERSIONS

2005 comes with another novel explanation. A journalist assures that the Princes, in agreement with the King, have taken a year to concentrate on their functions, before dedicating themselves to perpetuating the Monarchy. Another version, of similar foundation, aims that the anorexia prevents Letizia to procreate.

This way, we reach a month to the wedding anniversary, and there is no official announcement. Then, although it seems impossible, one more speculation appears now: that she could already be pregnant and receiving cares at the Ruber International Clinic of Madrid. Now it is added that she could be visiting the clinic every week and, as her pregnancy is product of a fertility treatment (in spite of what the IVI had denied), it’s almost sure that they will be two creatures. So the media return to the multiple pregnancy theses. Two creatures would be perfect, because there would be more possibilities that one of them would turn out as a man and thus avoiding the debate on the discrimination of sexes that still stands in our Constitution, in what Royalty is concerned. Once again, everything is denied. Neither one nor two... Until the day when it’s officially announced, with an post from La Zarzuela, saying that Letizia waits heir. Than, and only then, the information will be trustworthy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the article Elsa and taking the time to translate. It is nice to know that some media outlets realize how crazy some of these rumours are.

Last edited by a moderator:
didnt the royal house demand a fertility test before their marriage...to make sure that a heir is born...just like in many european royal households...(mary, mathilde, maxima, mette-marit...etc.)

Oh-oh! I hate to take the train, but... is it me or there is something different with her belly :p :confused:

Attachments

• zzzzzzzf13.jpg
    zzzzzzzf13.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 992
Elsa M. said:
Oh-oh! I hate to take the train, but... is it me or there is something different with her belly :p :confused:
It kind of looks like it but it is probably the cut of the jacket and the angle of the picture.

http://www.miciudadreal.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=16716

The events that the Royal City is celebrating in 2005 (an emblematic year, not only for the IV Centenary of the Quijote, but also for the 750th Anniversary of its foundation by King Alfonso X) counts on a Honour Committee presided over by HRH Doña Letizia, Princess of Asturias, and formed by representatives of different public and private organizations, as well as national, regional and local authorities.

Elsa M. said:
http://www.miciudadreal.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=16716

The events that the Royal City is celebrating in 2005 (an emblematic year, not only for the IV Centenary of the Quijote, but also for the 750th Anniversary of its foundation by King Alfonso X) counts on a Honour Committee presided over by HRH Doña Letizia, Princess of Asturias, and formed by representatives of different public and private organizations, as well as national, regional and local authorities.

Does this mean we might see her on a solo outing?

I don't really know what is she supposed to do as president of a Honourific Committee, but that's probable, I guess...

a picture of her after the announce of her engagement with felipe.

Attachments

• 5141188.jpg
    5141188.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 945
http://www.lavox.com/estilo/04-25-2005.php

Next May 22nd, Letizia of Asturias turns her first anniversary as princess, and in spite of some people who criticized her strong character, her somewhat distant personality and her worrisome thinness, the ex--journalist and future Spanish queen seems to have gained the affection of the Spaniards and great part of the world.

Her recent appearance, during the funeral of her grandfather, Jose Luis Ortiz Velasco, was a new sample of the support she receives throughout the county. All Spain seemed to accompany her sadness on March 29th.

Letizia, in spite of all the pomp and circumstance hold by her position, continues being a real woman in the most democratic sense of the word. Each time she embraces children, old or ill people is received as an evidence of her being a woman who, in spite of her past as an efficient and professional woman, is able to demonstrate the generosity and empathy that is expected in a princess. Yet, the Spaniards feel a special pride, whenever Letizia occupies a position among the most elegant women in the world.

During each official trip – to Mexico, United States, among other countries -, the princess applies her experience as a reporter. With a security that characterizes a woman who feels comfortable in any place of the world, she easily chats with political, social and religious leaders, but she never lets that her own opinions darken her role of heir to the crown. The result is that there are few statesmen who have resisted to the enchantments and intelligence of Letizia.

Nevertheless, her relationship with the media continues being fragile. Who knows if that’s because of envy or journalistic precision, but the reporters and columnists often emphasize her less flattering characteristics. The lack of a heir, for example, has become a national debate, and her supposed anorexia was vociferated in all the tabloids of the country, forcing the head of the Royal House’s public relations, Juan González-Cebrián, to emit an official denial: "These commentaries are based on articles published in the international press that never confirmed their sources next the Royal House", said the civil employee, talking about a chronicle of "Paris Match" that assured the wife of prince Felipe was suffering "of the princess’ disease"; an euphemism that, after the cases of Diana of Wales and Victoria of Sweden, was obviously referring to anorexia. "It is absolutely false that Doña Letizia suffers this disease", said the official note.

The princess did never answer to the worse rumours planted during her first year. Instead, she went ahead, until the rumours disappeared by themselves. Perhaps that is the best lesson than she has learned after all these months: a journalist, as she was, always looks for the truth behind the mask. A princess, however, must maintain the mask until the end.

Letizia... pregnant?

Peñafiel said in his program with Teresa campos that Letizia was pregnant and that the announce will come soon.
He also said Cristina was pregnant and that turned up to be true.

carlota said:
Peñafiel said in his program with Teresa campos that Letizia was pregnant and that the announce will come soon.

That´s interesting! Who is Peñafiel and when has he guessed, that Christina could be pregnant. And when has he said that on Letizia? When it was after the announcements in Denmark and Norway, I guess he was just caught of "baby fever"....but who knows...I would prefer to be wrong. 5 crown princely babies in 2005-that would be fantastic! Royal watching as its best.

Last edited:
Lena said:
That´s interesting! Who is Peñafiel , .

Penafiel is a royal "expert". He is on TV shows talking about royals and writes colums for papers.

carlota said:
Yeah, right... then this would be her 4th pregnancy "diagnosed" by Jaime Penafiel (the last one was in December, when he assured us the pregnancy would be announced before the end of the year)... :D

Oh well, to be honest, I also think this time Letizia is pregnant indeed (but it's definatelly not because of Jaime Penafiel's brilliant assurances :p )... I really think something's going on with her belly... and I'm not the only one noticing that (see my previous posts above)...

Let'skeep our fingers crossed ;)

carlota said:

I don't think I would trust this guy as far as I can throw. Hasn't he made many other "predictions" that didn't turn out to be true? Is he just banking on the fact that if he keeps saying that "soon there will be an announcement from the royal court about Letizia's pregnancy" one day it will be true?

I agree with Lena that "baby fever" has just hit Europe and the royal households in a major way. And as Elsa said, even if this prediction of Penafiel's were true, as great news as it would be, it certainly won't be because Penafiel said so first.

... However, am I a sour sport to think that I do not wish for Letizia to be pregnant yet? I think that for Letizia to be pregnant now with a baby due in October/November, around the time Mary has her baby, will only fuel further unfair comparisons between these two women. I already think the numerous comparisons of "Well, Mary's performing solo engagements, why isn't Letizia?" or "Letizia has gone on much more abroad trips than Mary," etc. are already too much and unfair to both of these ladies. If they are both pregnant at the same time I can see discussions of "Mary's belly is much bigger than Letizia's," or "Letizia's maternity clothes are not as nice as Mary's," or even more down the line, one baby is smaller than the other so that baby must be sick.

I'd like to see some distance between these two women in terms of their "good news announcements" and "milestones." If only to let them each distinguish themselves as individual princesses with their own styles and approaches to be a Crown Princess in this modern day.

I agree...I don't think this is as perfect of a time for Letizia to announce pregnancy. Not only because there are possibilites of fueling more comparisons between Mary and Letizia but also because I feel it would be nice for Felipe and Letizia to explore a life together for a longer period of time.

F&M have known each other for 5 years, they've had a longer period of time to really get to know each other, to see the good and the bad in each other and to really build not only love, but a deep friendship.

F&L had a whirlwind romance, getting married after a short dating period. I belive that they trully are in love with each other, but even if they are in love, it doesn't mean that they really know each other. It would probably be better for their relationship and for their future children if they build a stronger friendship first before bringing children into their lives. But that's just my opinion...:D

Alexandria said:
I don't think I would trust this guy as far as I can throw. Hasn't he made many other "predictions" that didn't turn out to be true? Is he just banking on the fact that if he keeps saying that "soon there will be an announcement from the royal court about Letizia's pregnancy" one day it will be true?.
If you keep throwing rocks at a house, eventually (and only very eventually :p ) you'll hit a window... Almost all rumours planted by this guy turned out to be false...

Alexandria said:
I'd like to see some distance between these two women in terms of their "good news announcements" and "milestones." If only to let them each distinguish themselves as individual princesses with their own styles and approaches to be a Crown Princess in this modern day.
I understand what you mean, Alexandria, and I agree with you (...although I would love to see another cute baby pulling around Juan Carlos' and Sofia's sofas and curtains ;) ).

Last edited:
tiff_tiff_tiff2000 said:
I agree...I don't think this is as perfect of a time for Letizia to announce pregnancy. Not only because there are possibilites of fueling more comparisons between Mary and Letizia but also because I feel it would be nice for Felipe and Letizia to explore a life together for a longer period of time.

F&M have known each other for 5 years, they've had a longer period of time to really get to know each other, to see the good and the bad in each other and to really build not only love, but a deep friendship.

F&L had a whirlwind romance, getting married after a short dating period. I belive that they trully are in love with each other, but even if they are in love, it doesn't mean that they really know each other. It would probably be better for their relationship and for their future children if they build a stronger friendship first before bringing children into their lives. But that's just my opinion...:D

I am not basing my opinon of Letizia having a baby later because of the amount of time she and Felipe have known each other.

As I said in my original post, it's not fair to compare these two women, nor is it fair to compare their relationships. How long Felipe and Letizia dated and have known each other is irrelevant with how long Frederik and Mary dated and knew each other. Just because Frederik and Mary have known each other for 5 years does not make their relationship better or stronger than the one Felipe and Letizia have. Some couples can date for 10 years before deciding that the other person is "the one" while others know within a few months.

And for the record, while Felipe and Letizia's relationship may have seemed like a whirlwind, it was not. They, like their Belgian counterparts, Phillippe and Mathilde, managed to keep their relationship secret for several months. Felipe and Letizia also met a year or two before at an oil disaster that Letizia was reporting about and at which Felipe visited. They also met on various other occasions in a professional manner.

Alexandria said:
I am not basing my opinon of Letizia having a baby later because of the amount of time she and Felipe have known each other.

As I said in my original post, it's not fair to compare these two women, nor is it fair to compare their relationships. How long Felipe and Letizia dated and have known each other is irrelevant with how long Frederik and Mary dated and knew each other. Just because Frederik and Mary have known each other for 5 years does not make their relationship better or stronger than the one Felipe and Letizia have. Some couples can date for 10 years before deciding that the other person is "the one" while others know within a few months.

And for the record, while Felipe and Letizia's relationship may have seemed like a whirlwind, it was not. They, like their Belgian counterparts, Phillippe and Mathilde, managed to keep their relationship secret for several months. Felipe and Letizia also met a year or two before at an oil disaster that Letizia was reporting about and at which Felipe visited. They also met on various other occasions in a professional manner.

The diffrence is that Philippe and Mathilde managed to keep their relationship secret for several years (3 if I remember correctly) while Felipe and Letizia only managed to do so for less than a year.

IMO a relationship that leads to a marriage after 1 and a half years acquaintance is a whirlwind.

I said I agreed with what you said and then I added my own comment.

I don't think having children this early in any relationship is healthy for the relationship. However I said this was a better time for Mary to have a baby because F&M seemed to be able to build a strong relationship throughout their time of dating and engagement. They've been able to build a relationship through words because it was a long distance relationship for about 2-3 years. I'm not comparing they're relationship, this is pretty much generalising for any relationship.

If it was F&M who got married after a year or so after dating, I would have said the same thing. I just think it would be nice for F&L to have more alone time before bringing children into the equation. I mean, children brings strain to relationships no matter how strong they are. It would probably be healthier for F&L's relationship if they perhaps waited till the beginning of next year before having a baby. This gives them time to discover more about each other and ect.

But if the deed is done, then the deed is done and I would be happy for them and wish them all the joy in the world.

Alexandria said:
... However, am I a sour sport to think that I do not wish for Letizia to be pregnant yet? I think that for Letizia to be pregnant now with a baby due in October/November, around the time Mary has her baby, will only fuel further unfair comparisons between these two women. I already think the numerous comparisons of "Well, Mary's performing solo engagements, why isn't Letizia?" or "Letizia has gone on much more abroad trips than Mary," etc. are already too much and unfair to both of these ladies. If they are both pregnant at the same time I can see discussions of "Mary's belly is much bigger than Letizia's," or "Letizia's maternity clothes are not as nice as Mary's," or even more down the line, one baby is smaller than the other so that baby must be sick.

While I agree, when we see this in context with this board and other Royal boards, I wouldn´t see this as dramaticially for the two countries. When Letizia would become pregnant, then the Spaniards would care mainly about her and her baby. I guess after Mary has given birth a poll on the spanish streets would show, that most wouldn´t know, that Denmark has gotten (another) "heir", while probably the whole country would know about the spanish heir, after Letizia has given birth. Maybe Hola would do a special a la "two pregnant crown princesses", but I guess the daily spanish newspapers would focus on Letizia.
And to the boards...one could at least say, that many members have favourites. So the die-hard Letizia-fans would go on to watch her...and her pregnancy and wouldn´t care too much for the ppl, who compare them.

Cissan said:
The diffrence is that Philippe and Mathilde managed to keep their relationship secret for several years (3 if I remember correctly) while Felipe and Letizia only managed to do so for less than a year.

IMO a relationship that leads to a marriage after 1 and a half years acquaintance is a whirlwind.

Just to remind that Cristina and Inaki married one year and two months after their first meeting. Now they are one of the happiest royal couple (IMO) and have three cute children and another to come soon.

http://www.elconfidencial.com/opinion/indice.asp?sec=31&edicion=22/04/2005&pass=

The Premios Solidarios del Seguro already count on a great chair of honour: the Princess of Asturias, Doña Letizia Ortiz. The idea of these prizes is that the major insurance companies canalize many small contributions through NGO, so that they are able to finance concrete projects, as the construction of schools and houses for those who need it the most, as well as to support cientific and medical research, among a long list of other purposes.

tiff_tiff_tiff2000 said:
I don't think having children this early in any relationship is healthy for the relationship...I mean, children brings strain to relationships no matter how strong they are. It would probably be healthier for F&L's relationship if they perhaps waited till the beginning of next year before having a baby. This gives them time to discover more about each other and ect.

Do you really think that royals have the same stress of having a baby that the rest of us have? There are nannies, nurses, maids, cooks etc. etc. etc. to help with all of these things, and the public is exceptionally understanding when these women take time out to have babies.

I just think we're being naive to think that the amount of work that comes with having a baby applies to the average European royal. The amount of stress this frees up on a relationship is considerable.

Eliza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom