The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 09:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
Peñafiel said in his program with Teresa campos that Letizia was pregnant and that the announce will come soon.
He also said Cristina was pregnant and that turned up to be true.
I don't think I would trust this guy as far as I can throw. Hasn't he made many other "predictions" that didn't turn out to be true? Is he just banking on the fact that if he keeps saying that "soon there will be an announcement from the royal court about Letizia's pregnancy" one day it will be true?

I agree with Lena that "baby fever" has just hit Europe and the royal households in a major way. And as Elsa said, even if this prediction of Penafiel's were true, as great news as it would be, it certainly won't be because Penafiel said so first.

... However, am I a sour sport to think that I do not wish for Letizia to be pregnant yet? I think that for Letizia to be pregnant now with a baby due in October/November, around the time Mary has her baby, will only fuel further unfair comparisons between these two women. I already think the numerous comparisons of "Well, Mary's performing solo engagements, why isn't Letizia?" or "Letizia has gone on much more abroad trips than Mary," etc. are already too much and unfair to both of these ladies. If they are both pregnant at the same time I can see discussions of "Mary's belly is much bigger than Letizia's," or "Letizia's maternity clothes are not as nice as Mary's," or even more down the line, one baby is smaller than the other so that baby must be sick.

I'd like to see some distance between these two women in terms of their "good news announcements" and "milestones." If only to let them each distinguish themselves as individual princesses with their own styles and approaches to be a Crown Princess in this modern day.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Aristocracy

I agree...I don't think this is as perfect of a time for Letizia to announce pregnancy. Not only because there are possibilites of fueling more comparisons between Mary and Letizia but also because I feel it would be nice for Felipe and Letizia to explore a life together for a longer period of time.

F&M have known each other for 5 years, they've had a longer period of time to really get to know each other, to see the good and the bad in each other and to really build not only love, but a deep friendship.

F&L had a whirlwind romance, getting married after a short dating period. I belive that they trully are in love with each other, but even if they are in love, it doesn't mean that they really know each other. It would probably be better for their relationship and for their future children if they build a stronger friendship first before bringing children into their lives. But that's just my opinion...

Old 04-26-2005, 10:04 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I don't think I would trust this guy as far as I can throw. Hasn't he made many other "predictions" that didn't turn out to be true? Is he just banking on the fact that if he keeps saying that "soon there will be an announcement from the royal court about Letizia's pregnancy" one day it will be true?.
If you keep throwing rocks at a house, eventually (and only very eventually :p ) you'll hit a window... Almost all rumours planted by this guy turned out to be false...

Quote:
I'd like to see some distance between these two women in terms of their "good news announcements" and "milestones." If only to let them each distinguish themselves as individual princesses with their own styles and approaches to be a Crown Princess in this modern day.
I understand what you mean, Alexandria, and I agree with you (...although I would love to see another cute baby pulling around Juan Carlos' and Sofia's sofas and curtains ).
Old 04-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff_tiff_tiff2000
I agree...I don't think this is as perfect of a time for Letizia to announce pregnancy. Not only because there are possibilites of fueling more comparisons between Mary and Letizia but also because I feel it would be nice for Felipe and Letizia to explore a life together for a longer period of time.

F&M have known each other for 5 years, they've had a longer period of time to really get to know each other, to see the good and the bad in each other and to really build not only love, but a deep friendship.

F&L had a whirlwind romance, getting married after a short dating period. I belive that they trully are in love with each other, but even if they are in love, it doesn't mean that they really know each other. It would probably be better for their relationship and for their future children if they build a stronger friendship first before bringing children into their lives. But that's just my opinion...
I am not basing my opinon of Letizia having a baby later because of the amount of time she and Felipe have known each other.

As I said in my original post, it's not fair to compare these two women, nor is it fair to compare their relationships. How long Felipe and Letizia dated and have known each other is irrelevant with how long Frederik and Mary dated and knew each other. Just because Frederik and Mary have known each other for 5 years does not make their relationship better or stronger than the one Felipe and Letizia have. Some couples can date for 10 years before deciding that the other person is "the one" while others know within a few months.

And for the record, while Felipe and Letizia's relationship may have seemed like a whirlwind, it was not. They, like their Belgian counterparts, Phillippe and Mathilde, managed to keep their relationship secret for several months. Felipe and Letizia also met a year or two before at an oil disaster that Letizia was reporting about and at which Felipe visited. They also met on various other occasions in a professional manner.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I am not basing my opinon of Letizia having a baby later because of the amount of time she and Felipe have known each other.

As I said in my original post, it's not fair to compare these two women, nor is it fair to compare their relationships. How long Felipe and Letizia dated and have known each other is irrelevant with how long Frederik and Mary dated and knew each other. Just because Frederik and Mary have known each other for 5 years does not make their relationship better or stronger than the one Felipe and Letizia have. Some couples can date for 10 years before deciding that the other person is "the one" while others know within a few months.

And for the record, while Felipe and Letizia's relationship may have seemed like a whirlwind, it was not. They, like their Belgian counterparts, Phillippe and Mathilde, managed to keep their relationship secret for several months. Felipe and Letizia also met a year or two before at an oil disaster that Letizia was reporting about and at which Felipe visited. They also met on various other occasions in a professional manner.
The diffrence is that Philippe and Mathilde managed to keep their relationship secret for several years (3 if I remember correctly) while Felipe and Letizia only managed to do so for less than a year.

IMO a relationship that leads to a marriage after 1 and a half years acquaintance is a whirlwind.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Aristocracy

I said I agreed with what you said and then I added my own comment.

I don't think having children this early in any relationship is healthy for the relationship. However I said this was a better time for Mary to have a baby because F&M seemed to be able to build a strong relationship throughout their time of dating and engagement. They've been able to build a relationship through words because it was a long distance relationship for about 2-3 years. I'm not comparing they're relationship, this is pretty much generalising for any relationship.

If it was F&M who got married after a year or so after dating, I would have said the same thing. I just think it would be nice for F&L to have more alone time before bringing children into the equation. I mean, children brings strain to relationships no matter how strong they are. It would probably be healthier for F&L's relationship if they perhaps waited till the beginning of next year before having a baby. This gives them time to discover more about each other and ect.

But if the deed is done, then the deed is done and I would be happy for them and wish them all the joy in the world.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

... However, am I a sour sport to think that I do not wish for Letizia to be pregnant yet? I think that for Letizia to be pregnant now with a baby due in October/November, around the time Mary has her baby, will only fuel further unfair comparisons between these two women. I already think the numerous comparisons of "Well, Mary's performing solo engagements, why isn't Letizia?" or "Letizia has gone on much more abroad trips than Mary," etc. are already too much and unfair to both of these ladies. If they are both pregnant at the same time I can see discussions of "Mary's belly is much bigger than Letizia's," or "Letizia's maternity clothes are not as nice as Mary's," or even more down the line, one baby is smaller than the other so that baby must be sick.

While I agree, when we see this in context with this board and other Royal boards, I wouldn´t see this as dramaticially for the two countries. When Letizia would become pregnant, then the Spaniards would care mainly about her and her baby. I guess after Mary has given birth a poll on the spanish streets would show, that most wouldn´t know, that Denmark has gotten (another) "heir", while probably the whole country would know about the spanish heir, after Letizia has given birth. Maybe Hola would do a special a la "two pregnant crown princesses", but I guess the daily spanish newspapers would focus on Letizia.
And to the boards...one could at least say, that many members have favourites. So the die-hard Letizia-fans would go on to watch her...and her pregnancy and wouldn´t care too much for the ppl, who compare them.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissan
The diffrence is that Philippe and Mathilde managed to keep their relationship secret for several years (3 if I remember correctly) while Felipe and Letizia only managed to do so for less than a year.

IMO a relationship that leads to a marriage after 1 and a half years acquaintance is a whirlwind.
Just to remind that Cristina and Inaki married one year and two months after their first meeting. Now they are one of the happiest royal couple (IMO) and have three cute children and another to come soon.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

http://www.elconfidencial.com/opinio...2/04/2005&pass=

The Premios Solidarios del Seguro already count on a great chair of honour: the Princess of Asturias, Doña Letizia Ortiz. The idea of these prizes is that the major insurance companies canalize many small contributions through NGO, so that they are able to finance concrete projects, as the construction of schools and houses for those who need it the most, as well as to support cientific and medical research, among a long list of other purposes.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff_tiff_tiff2000
I don't think having children this early in any relationship is healthy for the relationship...I mean, children brings strain to relationships no matter how strong they are. It would probably be healthier for F&L's relationship if they perhaps waited till the beginning of next year before having a baby. This gives them time to discover more about each other and ect.

Do you really think that royals have the same stress of having a baby that the rest of us have? There are nannies, nurses, maids, cooks etc. etc. etc. to help with all of these things, and the public is exceptionally understanding when these women take time out to have babies.

I just think we're being naive to think that the amount of work that comes with having a baby applies to the average European royal. The amount of stress this frees up on a relationship is considerable.

Eliza
Old 04-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by azile1710
Do you really think that royals have the same stress of having a baby that the rest of us have? There are nannies, nurses, maids, cooks etc. etc. etc. to help with all of these things, and the public is exceptionally understanding when these women take time out to have babies.

I just think we're being naive to think that the amount of work that comes with having a baby applies to the average European royal. The amount of stress this frees up on a relationship is considerable.

Eliza
so well said....
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Commoner

Plus like it or not that is their job. I know it is awful to say this but honestly we have to face it. The royals do not look for partners the same way we look for partners. Honestly I do not believe these people marry for love. They marry looking for what is convinient for their business. Obviously today is beneficial to give the royals an image of flexibility and make us believe that they are marrying for love like any of us but it that true? with all your respect I do not think so. Today the royals are looking for the "professional" woman to join their ventures as a sign of bringing the royals to todays standards. These "professional" women become their partners to fulfil their duties and that include breeding the new generation of royals.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:43 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australis
Honestly I do not believe these people marry for love. They marry looking for what is convinient for their business. Obviously today is beneficial to give the royals an image of flexibility and make us believe that they are marrying for love like any of us but it that true? with all your respect I do not think so. Today the royals are looking for the "professional" woman to join their ventures as a sign of bringing the royals to todays standards. These "professional" women become their partners to fulfil their duties and that include breeding the new generation of royals.
If that was true, do you really think that Felipe would wait till the age of 35 to marry a divorcée? Or that Willem-Alexander and Frederick would look for a girl on the other side of the planet? Or that Aakon would marry a single mother? Or that Charles would marry a divorcée, mother of two children and accused by his people for being responsible for the break-down of his own marriage?
Of course these are responsible men, who face the "job" with responsibilities (and Felipe was responsible enough to choose a strong, responsible, determined, carreer woman that could somehow give a valuable contribute to the Monarchy), but we really can't say that this man and this woman (who abandoned one of the most promising carreers of the last 50 years in Spain) didn't marry for love!! There has to be a permanent balance in the life of these princes between their institutional duties and their individual rights to aspire to a happy, stable family life... and this is a conquest of the last decade I would say...
As Felipe confessed in January 2003:
«I won't abandon my aim to marry someone I'm in love with, someone with whom I have an honest, profound relationship on which to base a family, common values and interests that will allow us to share a family and professional life… to serve Spain in the best way possible».

I guess he achieved what he was searching for :)
Old 04-28-2005, 08:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa M.
If that was true, do you really think that Felipe would wait till the age of 35 to marry a divorcée? Or that Willem-Alexander and Frederick would look for a girl on the other side of the planet? Or that Aakon would marry a single mother? Or that Charles would marry a divorcée, mother of two children and accused by his people for being responsible for the break-down of his own marriage?
Of course these are responsible men, who face the "job" with responsibilities (and Felipe was responsible enough to choose a strong, responsible, determined, carreer woman that could somehow give a valuable contribute to the Monarchy), but we really can't say that this man and this woman (who abandoned one of the most promising carreers of the last 50 years in Spain) didn't marry for love!! There has to be a permanent balance in the life of these princes between their institutional duties and their individual rights to aspire to a happy, stable family life... and this is a conquest of the last decade I would say...
As Felipe confessed in January 2003:
«I won't abandon my aim to marry someone I'm in love with, someone with whom I have an honest, profound relationship on which to base a family, common values and interests that will allow us to share a family and professional life… to serve Spain in the best way possible».

I guess he achieved what he was searching for :)
I agree totally with Elsa...
I don't believe they marry for convenience or to a person who meets all the critera of the 'job'. If that's the case, they'll all be marrying distance relatives within the same social circle or of some titled rank, not single mom, divorcee etc.. Come on, would Hakkon marry MM for convenience???? Think of all the efforts etc that he had to face and go through to marry her? Or Felipe marry a divorcee or Frederik marry Mary who has to learn all about his way of life - language, culture etc.

I do believe that to a certain degree in their unique position in life, the life partner they choose have met with their own personal expectation and that together with the magical qualities of love enables each of these CPs to ask for them to be their wives. In each of these women, the CPs felt that they all have the qualities to be Queen, to help and support them in their future path as Kings.

A picture never lies, and you only have to see in the millions of pictures taken of Felipe and Letizia , Frederik and Mary, Hakkon and MM, Phillipe and Mathilda etc.. that they all married for love and felt truely bless to have found a woman to whom they could share the unique path of life they have to walk.

I think gone are the days when princes marry for convenience or to someone who is 'suited' for the job and not be in love with them.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

http://academiatv.es/miembros/miembros.htm

SAR Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano Nacida en Oviedo el 15 de septiembre de 1972. Licenciada en Ciencias de la Información, rama Periodismo, por la Universidad Complutense de Madrid. Master de Periodismo Audiovisual por el Instituto de Estudios de Periodismo Audiovisual. Ingresó como miembro de número en la Academia de las Ciencias y las Artes de Televisión el 29 de septiembre de 2003. En la temporada televisiva 2003/04 presentó junto a Alfredo Urdaci la segunda edición del Telediario, labor que dejó tras hacerse público el 1 de noviembre de 2003 su compromiso matrimonial con SAR Felipe de Borbón.

El 22 de mayo de 2004 contrajo matrimonio en Madrid con el Heredero de la Corona y se convirtió en Princesa de Asturias.

Trayectoria profesional

Ha trabajado desde muy joven en varios medios de comunicación, entre ellos el diario asturiano La Nueva España, el periódico ABC y la Agencia EFE, donde realizó labores de edición en la sección de internacional durante el último año de sus estudios universitarios. Galardonada por la Asociación de la Prensa de Madrid con el Premio Larra a la mejor profesional menor de 30 años.

En televisión ha trabajado en la sede española de la cadena estadounidense Bloomberg TV. Además, ha sido presentadora, redactora y reportera de CNN +. En 2000 se incorporó a TVE. En la cadena pública comenzó a trabajar en el equipo de Telediario Segunda Edición y se hizo cargo de las labores de presentación del emblemático Infome semanal. Posteriormente condujo el Telediario Matinal y los especiales sobre la llegada del euro. Ha sido enviada especial de TVE a diferentes puntos del mundo para informar sobre acontecimientos de actualidad, como la guerra de Irak, los atentados del 11-S o la crisis del Prestige en nuestro país.

En junio de 2003 participó en la ceremonia de los V Premios de la Academia de Televisión para entregar el galardón a la Mejor presentadora de informativos.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchainho
http://academiatv.es/miembros/miembros.htm

SAR Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano Nacida en Oviedo el 15 de septiembre de 1972. Licenciada en Ciencias de la Información, rama Periodismo, por la Universidad Complutense de Madrid. Master de Periodismo Audiovisual por el Instituto de Estudios de Periodismo Audiovisual. Ingresó como miembro de número en la Academia de las Ciencias y las Artes de Televisión el 29 de septiembre de 2003. En la temporada televisiva 2003/04 presentó junto a Alfredo Urdaci la segunda edición del Telediario, labor que dejó tras hacerse público el 1 de noviembre de 2003 su compromiso matrimonial con SAR Felipe de Borbón.

El 22 de mayo de 2004 contrajo matrimonio en Madrid con el Heredero de la Corona y se convirtió en Princesa de Asturias.

Trayectoria profesional

Ha trabajado desde muy joven en varios medios de comunicación, entre ellos el diario asturiano La Nueva España, el periódico ABC y la Agencia EFE, donde realizó labores de edición en la sección de internacional durante el último año de sus estudios universitarios. Galardonada por la Asociación de la Prensa de Madrid con el Premio Larra a la mejor profesional menor de 30 años.

En televisión ha trabajado en la sede española de la cadena estadounidense Bloomberg TV. Además, ha sido presentadora, redactora y reportera de CNN +. En 2000 se incorporó a TVE. En la cadena pública comenzó a trabajar en el equipo de Telediario Segunda Edición y se hizo cargo de las labores de presentación del emblemático Infome semanal. Posteriormente condujo el Telediario Matinal y los especiales sobre la llegada del euro. Ha sido enviada especial de TVE a diferentes puntos del mundo para informar sobre acontecimientos de actualidad, como la guerra de Irak, los atentados del 11-S o la crisis del Prestige en nuestro país.

En junio de 2003 participó en la ceremonia de los V Premios de la Academia de Televisión para entregar el galardón a la Mejor presentadora de informativos.

can u summarize the article in english for us? thankz in advance!!!!
Old 04-29-2005, 11:20 PM
Royal Highness

pictures can lie
anyway...i totally don't think these ppl married for convenience.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:00 AM
Heir Apparent

i don't know if they married for love or not. but i would be more inclined to say they didn t really... or perhaps they liked themselves but that s all. mere atraction that won t last for long. it has been said how ambitious letizia is and that s quite suspicious...
anyway... time will tell us, perhaps i m wrong. but i don t really "put my hand in the fire" (as we say here) for this love...
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-30-2005, 06:02 AM
Heir Apparent

by the way... a bit offtopic now but there are quite serious and reiterative rumours of letizia being pregnant. she was going a lot to ruber hospital, the royal house doesn t confirm or not confirm the pregnancy and they just say to wait for the official communicate (which is suspicious)..
Old 04-30-2005, 06:08 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
she was going a lot to ruber hospital, the royal house doesn t confirm or not confirm the pregnancy and they just say to wait for the official communicate (which is suspicious)..
They said the Princes went to the hospital to treat Felipe's sinusitis, others say she went there to visit someone else... I hope we're all right

http://www.lavozdeasturias.com/notic...sp?pkid=198332

The names of Felipe and Letizia were yesterday the most mentioned by media. The reason was the spiral of rumours about the princess' pregnancy, and the fact that La Zarzuela is soon going to announce it.

Some commentators even pointed the expected announcement could happen tomorrow, the Mother's Day. Nevertheless, the services of La Zarzuela (which would be necessary to do such an announcement) had yesterday predicted to go away during the weekend. The spokesmen of the Royal House neither denied, nor confirmed anything yesterday: "When the occasion arrives, the pertinent official notice will come".

La Zarzuela announces the pregnancies after three months of gestation, once surpassed the most delicate period.