The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 02:39 AM
Courtier

I've the same postion like you I'm a medical student and my dad is a plastic surgeon,in our school we are never told to diagnose from pictures,maybe in italy things are diffrent!!!!

Old 04-02-2005, 02:49 AM
Courtier

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't here that s/he gave a definitive diagnosis that Letizia was anorexic. In their defense, I think it was an opinion formed from years of medical school, experience, and common sense. Let's face it, Letizia looks too skinny at times, someone who could be pinpointed as a possible anorexic. Also, given her stressful position, it's not a far conlcusion to make that she would have a difficult time taking care of herself due to all her duties. Princesses are not immune to such stress-related disorders. Victoria of Sweden had it and Masako of Japan has an adjustment disorder. I'm getting an atmosphere of over-defensiveness in this thread.

Old 04-02-2005, 03:23 AM
Commoner

As a medical student and a former anoretic who spent years trying to understand this illness in an attempt to recover, I'm surprised you're able to reach such a conclusion based on pictures. In the past, I have been forced see to doctors many times by my parents who saw my abnormal behavior, but the doctors did not see anything wrong with me, much to my smugness at that time. I don't blame them. Eating disorders are difficult to diagnose even when you actually see the patient. So, really, I find it hard to see how you're so confident that Letizia is anorexic without even seeing her.

Thinness is just ONE symptom of an eating disorder, and it is hardly exclusive to it. That's like saying everyone who coughs has lung cancer, or that no thin person will ever suffer from heart disease.

I can think of millions of other reasons why a person is thin. Letizia has always been slender. She may have lost some weight since becoming a royal, but it isn't that drastic in my opinion. Certainly not enough to warrant the diagnosis of an eating disorder. Unlike, for example, the marked change in appearance Princess Victoria had. And yes, some people are more susceptible, due to their environment and personalities. And here, I would have to say Letizia does indeed seem to fall into this category: being a public figure, having (I think)a serious personality, high achiever. But there's a long way to go from being susceptible to a disease to actually having it. Stress, for example, is a common cause of weight loss. But is a person who's lost weight due to stress suffering from anorexia?

Anorexia does not mean abnormal thinness. It is a complex disease that is far more psychological that it is physical.

Denial is also typical of eating disorders. But hey, accuse me of something I'm INNOCENT of, I'll of course deny it as well!
Old 04-02-2005, 03:34 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't here that s/he gave a definitive diagnosis that Letizia was anorexic. In their defense, I think it was an opinion formed from years of medical school, experience, and common sense. Let's face it, Letizia looks too skinny at times, someone who could be pinpointed as a possible anorexic. Also, given her stressful position, it's not a far conlcusion to make that she would have a difficult time taking care of herself due to all her duties. Princesses are not immune to such stress-related disorders. Victoria of Sweden had it and Masako of Japan has an adjustment disorder. I'm getting an atmosphere of over-defensiveness in this thread.
I'm not saying I'm absolutely sure she does not have an eating disorder, but Guido seemed very sure she had one, and I object to that based on the reasons he/she gave, which seemed to oversimplify and generalise the disease.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Courtier

Thank you cute_girl and daisyonthe wall for your comments. I'm really surprised that someone as presumably as educated as a doctor would so quickly made such a sweeping diagnosis based on pictures seen from Hola and Getty Images.

Anorexia is a serious, serious disease and not one to be so casually diagnosed and in such a flippant manner either. Not everyone who is thin is anorexic.

My doctor won't even just call in a repeat to my pharmacist of a medication I've been taking for years. She always wants to see me in her office first to see if there are any changes or new side effects since the last time I've taken it. But here was an Italian doctor sweepingly diagnosing someone he's never met let alone had in his office and subjected to a thorough physical saying she had a serious physical and psychological disease.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
Did you see Guido's original post? It seems pretty "definitive" to me (underline parts added0:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
First of all I would like to tell you that my father is a well-known physician in Italy and I am a physician too. That is why we are familiar with anorexia and bulimia and it is unquestionable to us that she suffers from anorexia or bulemia . Anorexia means abnormal thinness and both eating disorders have same reasons nevertheless the main reasons: Stress ,to fear demands ,defeat .In fact psychical problems/reasons trigger these eating disorders.

No matters what the royal house said ,it is perfectly plain to a phxysicina.. The denial is a simple reaction if someone does not want to admit the truth. Do you remember what Bill Clinton said about Monica Lewinsky. He said ” I did not have sex with M L ". and later it turned out that ……. All royal families have secrets .

Take Care,
Guido
Letizia was skinny to begin with, making any natural weight loss as she undertook her new role as Princess of Asturias making her even thinner. You can see in the pictures from when Mary first moved to Denmark and in the days before the wedding that she too lost weight. But because Mary was also slim just not as slim as Letizia, the weight loss was not as obvious.

What Guido failed to point out is that thinness is not the only clue of anorexia. There are many other side effects or symptoms that could suggest anorexia, such as thinning or dull or dry hair, sallow appearing skin, a green tint to your skin, weak, easily breakable fingernails and other symptons. But of course one cannot expect a thorough and trusting diagnosis when sweeing statements without a medical examination has not taken place.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Gentry

Letizia has looked very thin in the latest pictures I have seen, and I can understand that people think it is an eating disorder, but then again pictures can lie. However it is quite a consern that she has lost so much weight being an eating disorder or not. It is clearly an indication that her first year as a royal has been very stressful, and losing so much weight although it may just be due to stress is not heatlhy.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Royal Highness

She has always been really skinny. If you look at her at the CP wedding in Denmark she is very skinny. Also the picture of her that was posted earlier in this thread of her on her balcony in her swimsuit where someone commented on her size was taken before she even met Felipe. I feel that we can only go by what the Royal House says and assume she is not anorexic.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Gentry

You can see that she has lost a lot of weight, her face seems skinnier since the engagement. As for the picture in the swimmingsuit,it may not be her, it could easily be someone else. If it isLeticia the position she is lying in would make anyone look skinnier than they are when standing up, it is easier to se the ribs etc.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Serene Highness

Letizia's Charities

Has Letizia become associated with any charities during her first few months as Crown Princess?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:00 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanfan
Has Letizia become associated with any charities during her first few months as Crown Princess?
According to ABC, the Princess of Asturias has accepted the following Presidencies of Honor: Favorite daughter of Oviedo, Protective Lady of the Royal Corporate Boby of Nobility of Madrid, the 750th Commemorative Acts for the Foundation of Royal City's Anniversary, Lady of the Royal Arsenal of Cavalry of Seville, Presidency of the VIII National Congress of Psychiatry, Lady of Honor of the Very Illustrious Town Hall of Our Lady the Virgin of Bitterness and Our Lady of the Rosary of Lorca, XXI National Meetings of Infirmary in Traumatology and Orthopaedic Surgery in Mérida.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Heir Apparent

where did you get that info from, elsa m?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
where did you get that info from, elsa m?
From ABC's edition of January 14th, 2005.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Nobility

Thanks, Elsa, for writing something meaningful about Letizia and recognizing some of her work. I am absolutely appalled by the comments that have been made in this forum about her.

I wonder how some of those who have posted here would feel if they were regarded ONLY for their weight, and nothing of themselves.

Let's be a little more objective, shall we?

Eliza
Old 04-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Royal Highness

I belive this weight think star to be a tradition for new princess's. Is no princess that don't pass for that. The unical different is that one stay better and other not. For example: princess mary stay wonderful with less a pounds ... Like Letizia is original skiner (and if you look for a famely that is natural) is natural that we realise more. When i am nervose i stop eating, so i just imagen me in a position like her, i probably betwen me and a esquelete the diferent not gona be mucht. And come on .... we have to agre that some time that royal menu are something very strange.... .
In my opinion she is just fine, ok a litle sekiner, but i belive she is in god helth. If you look for people that sofering anorix they look evrything except helthy.

So like say azile1710 let go foucos is more important thinks and let this pass natural.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by micas
Is no princess that don't pass for that. The unical different is that one stay better and other not. [...] Like Letizia is original skiner (and if you look for a famely that is natural) is natural that we realise more. [...]
Quote:

In my opinion she is just fine, ok a litle sekiner, but i belive she is in god helth. If you look for people that sofering anorix they look evrything except helthy.

Yes, that's true. Letizia has always been pretty thin, and there's not a considerable difference between her days as a journalist and as a Princess.
Letizia as a journalist:
http://www.letiziaortizonline.com/upload/LetiziaOrtiz453.jpg
http://www.letiziaortizonline.com/upload/LetiziaOrtiz451.jpg
http://www.letiziaortizonline.com/upload/LetiziaOrtiz475.jpg
http://www.letiziaortizonline.com/upload/LetiziaOrtiz631.jpg

On the other hand, Infanta Cristina, for example, was pretty thinner than her usual appearance, just a few months before getting pregnant and I saw nobody here commenting her remarkable thinness on that time.
Cristina, in October 2004:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119129

Quote:
So like say azile1710 let go foucos is more important thinks and let this pass natural.

Let us hope this will give rest to the discussion for a few days...
Old 04-10-2005, 05:33 AM
Nobility

I think that Letizia's weight problem should not be that much of a concern to everyone. I guess it's just a matter of understanding that it might just be her natural body type, I believe that one should not just take a look at her and dismiss her as being an anorexic.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

a interesting article in spanish about her physical appearance.

http://www.cosasperu.com/cosas314/letizia.htm
Old 04-16-2005, 01:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

always went along with that she is just delicate but in the first picture her arm looks painfully thin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchainho
a interesting article in spanish about her physical appearance.

http://www.cosasperu.com/cosas314/letizia.htm
Old 04-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

We have already reached the 10th page.

Thank you all, who have shared your thoughts and pictures with all of us.

The new thread can be found at:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=197715#post197715

Tags
letizia, princess of asturias