The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Nobility

Hi Jalmey,

All other things being equal, it would be best for Felipe's wife to be closer to him in age, which would also mean she knows more about herself and what she wants or does not really want in life. However, there is a lot of exceptions in the other things that may or may not be equal that could make age a low priority.

I've been reading about the history of the Spanish royal family and the one thing that struck me about them is they've had more than their share of health problems. Many times, it was hard to find any heirs left to take the throne. With that in mind, Felipe would want to marry someone young enough who had lots of years ahead of her for having children -- and that should be finished by the time she is ~40 at the most.

Old 06-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Commoner

HI Jalmey.

As to the divorce question - I think that Spain would handle it pretty well if it wasn't a major player being divorced. If, go forbid, one of his sisters were to get divorced then it would be considered okay in my opinion because their children will still be in line for the throne after Felipe. But if Felipe directly or JC and Sofia decided to get a divorce it would not be considered proper since I think that they are the head or something similar of the Catholic Church.

I also think that Spain has seen the actions of the other royal families such as England and especially Monaco to see that their Royals are pretty much a godsend and would understand that it would be better for them to get a divorce than to have a major scandal on their hands.

I have a questions for you that is similar to yours. Should a crown princess of spain come from a divorced family as long as she has an impeccable past besides said divorce or should that even be considered as a requirement?

In my opinion, as long as she has a pretty spotless past (no nude sunbathing, drunken pictures, etc.) she should be considered as she, most likely, will not want to make the same mistakes as her parents.

Old 06-03-2003, 12:25 AM
Courtier

I don't think that just because a female came from a divorced family that they would necessarily be excluded from potential matches for Felipe. I know a few people who's parents divorced, and they're bound and determined to never let it happen to them.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:15 PM
Nobility

Maybe Prince Felipe will not get married. He is getting a little old, and may just put it off indefinitely as has Prince Albert of Monaco. Then it will be up to his sisters' children to carry on the title.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Commoner

Thissal

I do not think so. I think Felipe is the type of guy whom wants a marriage and kids. I also think that the fact the Spanish monarchy is so fragile is another reason he is having difficulties. This is my take on the situation.

On one hand he wants to get married and have kids but with someone whom is genuine and loves Felipe for Felipe and not a Mary Donaldson type of person just in love with the idea of being a princess with a title. As well as being genuine she must have the qualities Felipe is looking for in a woman - beautiful, intelligent, fun, etc etc. On the other hand she has to be approved by the King and Queen, Spanish Parliament and the general public of Spain. She must be a Roman Catholic or convert to being a Roman Catholic. Have no scandals in her past etc etc.

Cathy G

I do not agree with your views on the Spanish Royals and divorce. Spain would not be able to stand a divorce in the immediate Royal family be it JC and Sofia, Felipe and his wife (whomever she may be), Elena and Jaime or Inaki and Christina.

You have to remember how fragile the Spanish Monarchy is with comparison to England and Monaco. In 1931 King Alfonso 8th, Felipe's grandfather was overthrown as the monarch, then in 1939 Spain went through a civil war then it had the dictator Fransisco Franco as head of state. It was only in 1975 that Spain's Monarchy was restored with JC. So if any of the immediate Royal family were to divorce I think that the Royal family would be overthrown for good and Spain would be become a Republic.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:14 PM
Commoner

Hi Rattie21

I completely forgot about the Franco situation when I gave my opinion. But it was just an example of the lesser Royals having more leeway so to speak than Felipe or the King and Queen.

Not saying the Elana, Christina and their spouses are lesser royals but they do not carry out as many duties as Felipe or the King and Queen and they do have children that are next in line for the throne therefore securing the throne.

But I think that the Infantas and Felipe have seen the things that their Mother has gone through with their father's (supposed) philandering that they are willing to make their marriages work.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally posted by cathy g@Jun 3rd, 2003 - 5:14 pm
Hi Rattie21

I completely forgot about the Franco situation when I gave my opinion. But it was just an example of the lesser Royals having more leeway so to speak than Felipe or the King and Queen.

Not saying the Elana, Christina and their spouses are lesser royals but they do not carry out as many duties as Felipe or the King and Queen and they do have children that are next in line for the throne therefore securing the throne.

But I think that the Infantas and Felipe have seen the things that their Mother has gone through with their father's (supposed) philandering that they are willing to make their marriages work.
Cathy G

That is just my point although Elena and Christina and their spouses carry out lesser amounts of duties does not make them lesser Royals as they are the children of the King and Queen even though they are not heir(s) apparent(s). In England lesser royals are considered to be anyone whom is not the child or grandchild of the Queen regardless of what title they carry or of amount of duties they carry - the Princess Royal (Anne) being my main example.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally posted by cathy g@Jun 3rd, 2003 - 5:14 pm
Hi Rattie21

Cathy G

If reports are to be believed then Jaime - Elena's husband was dating Eva (Eva Sannum, Felipe's ex girlfriend) way before Felipe began dating her. I do not know if this true and if it is if he and Elena were dating or were married or were married with kids when it happened.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Nobility

Divorce

I have to agree with Rattie when I say that I do not think the Spanish people would not uphold a divorce among the Royal Family. In addition to Rattie's reasons, Spain is largely a Catholic country, and in my understanding of the religion (which is slim, I must confess ), divorce isn't as "allowed" as..say...the Church of England, which was formed to grant a divorce in the first place. That being said, look at what divorce has done to the British royals...

However, divorce is something that no one really looks "forward" to and if one knew that if he were to get married and would not be allowed to divorce, you can understand how that said person would be a bit wary of relationships. I agree, Felipe probably knows the difference between the "Marys" of the world and the eligible brides out there, but the question is, can he fall in love with his supposedly "perfect bride?" Can a girl be suitable to be Queen and still capture his heart? Hopefully, there is *someone* out there, somewhere, but you can't blame Felipe for not having found her right now. I think when the time comes he'll settle down and raise a family. Albert on the other hand....err...lets not go into that! :P

As for his potential bride coming from a divorced background?

Well, even though I agree that should not be a big deal, Eva was criticized because her parents were divorced. I think some people might wrongly believe that if a child comes from a broken home, then they will produce a broken home, as well. However, I think that all experiences that someone can learn from can't hurt them. Granted, there should be some standards to say this is the proper behavior for royalty, but to blame someone for something that is beyond their control is not really fair.

-Mirth
Old 06-06-2003, 01:41 PM
Royal Highness

Unless Spain is so horribly strict, that or the King himself is just set of his son marrying blue blood and nothing more, then I see no reason why the Prince of Astrius should not marry the woman he loves.... Of course there is a difference between infatuation/excitment and LOVE....

One should not judge someone so fast just because they come from a broken home. That is labeling someone before you even know who they are.... I mean look what the Prince of Orange married... (I adore Maxima and all that she does, she is a wonderful example of a good future queen and her subjects love her.....).... Maxima's father did such horrible things in the late 60's early 70's in Argentina, to the point where it nearly cost the Prince of Orange an opportunity to marry the woman he loved, he was however persistant about marrying her and I am guessing that Queen Bea gave her the chance, and found out how WONDERFUL she was dispite all of the controversy surrounding her....

Just because one comes from a broken home doesn't mean that she is going to ruin her marriage off the bat, or that she is going to be a horrible person, role model etc. Perhaps he/she struggled in life, but, eventually pulled out ontop of their game, that is what people should be recognizing. The fact that someone succedded (Maxima) and that they have come out above all that has happened around them.

Now I could see however Spain not being happy with the fact that their future monarch married a SINGLE MOTHER who had a child out of wedlock with a man who she was not even with at the time..... That would be a flipper for the people of Spain... I could understand giving her a chance, but, given everything that she was into when she met her future husband, I would have a hard time acceppting.... If she would have been able to take the time to clean her self up, and trya nd fix some of the things about her prior to trying to get involved that would be a whole different story. I was amazed that Norway allowed this...

Basily what I am trying to say is that:

There is a difference between a woman who is going to marry a future king with a past that she has not done anything about or tried to fix, or should I say someone who has not risin above the clouds to make herself the best that she could be.

and

A wonderful woman who is deeply in love with her future husband, and yet, has done her part to be the best that she could be. That is dispite a perental break up, horrible childhood etc.

Well, I guess I will wait to respond to questions, since this one is novel. Sometimes I am a dork and talk and talk and talk (something I am really good at by the way)and get confused on what I am trying to say and get lost in my own writing......

Love Chanel :grrr:
Old 11-06-2003, 11:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
cathy g  Posted: Jun 2nd, 2003 - 8:06 pm

As to the divorce question - I think that Spain would handle it pretty well if it wasn't a major player being divorced. ...

Should a crown princess of spain come from a divorced family as long as she has an impeccable past ...?

In my opinion, as long as she has a pretty spotless past (no nude sunbathing, drunken pictures, etc.) she should be considered as she, most likely, will not want to make the same mistakes as her parents.
Well ... let's hope its impeccable, and that there are no drunken pictures ....
Old 02-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Crown Prince Felipe Latest News, Part 3

Welcome to the third installment of the latest news on Crown Prince Felipe of Spain. Please post news and pictures of the future King of Spain here.

For the previous thread, follow this link:

Prince Felipe, Latest News Thread Part 2
Old 02-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Casa Real

Su Alteza Real el Príncipe de Asturias, acompañado por el presidente de la Comunidad Foral de Navarra, Miguel Sanz, la ministra de Educación, Cultura y Deporte, Pilar del Castillo, y la alcaldesa de Pamplona, Yolanda Barcina, atiende a las explicaciones de Xabier Troyas, director del Centro de Innovación Tecnológica de Automoción de Navarra (CITEAN), que Don Felipe ha inaugurado en Pamplona. Este Centro dispone del primer simulador de carretera de España, que permite reproducir en laboratorio el comportamiento de los componentes del vehículo en carretera.

(Pamplona, 9 de febrero de 2004)

Pamplona
Old 02-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Casa Real - The green tie sort of matches the green screen in the background! Planned?

Su Alteza Real el Príncipe de Asturias inauguró la "Jornada sobre el papel de la Corporación Andina de Fomento (CAF) en Iberoamérica: oportunidades de colaboración para las empresas españolas" organizada por el Ministerio de Economía. Don Felipe aseguró que "no puede haber desarrollo sin democracia y que la democracia es la mejor garantía para dotar a las economías de mayor competitividad", al tiempo que mostró su compromiso con la región andina a la que auguró un futuro "lleno de desafíos y oportunidades, e indicó que España debe seguir participando "con valentía, generosidad y una clara visión de compromiso histórico" en el futuro de la Comunidad Andina.

(Hotel Palace. Madrid, 12 de febrero de 2004)

Hotel Palace
Old 02-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
18 FEBRUARY 2004 Crown Prince felipe of Spain inaugurated the exhibition "Espa–a a–os 50" (Spain, in the fifties) at the City Museum of Malaga. The Prince was accompanied by the major of Malaga, Francisco de la Torre and the president of Andalucian community, Manuel Chaves.

http://www.imlimages.gr/fotoweb/FWbin/prev...7FA2561BCE23CFC

http://www.imlimages.gr/fotoweb/FWbin/prev...C5BC31CB4CBE108

Old 02-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Courtier

A few images of Felipe at work.

One of my family members works for this foundation, but wasn't at the audience. Darn.

Opening International Conference of Open Source Software
Old 03-30-2004, 04:07 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Crown Prince Felipe of Spain hands out prize to the choir and orchestra of Unubiché from Bolivia March 29, 2004

Old 03-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennism@Mar 30th, 2004 - 4:07 pm
Crown Prince Felipe of Spain hands out prize to the choir and orchestra of Unubiché from Bolivia  March 29, 2004

That's one very sharp shirt and tie!
Old 04-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Aristocracy

Crown Prince Felipe accepted to be one of the sponsors to HRH Princess Ingrid of Norway. She was baptised at the royal palace in Oslo saturday 17.april 2004.

Why did Crown Prince Felipe chose not to attend the ceremony ?

We don't know for sure, but the usually well informed norwegian Se og Hør #30 - 20.april 2004 brought a big photo of Crown Prince Felipe and Letizia taken while the baptism ceremony took place in Oslo : The couple walking on the streets of Barcelona during their relaxing weekend visit at his sister's home.

Felipe had no engagements in the days surrounding the event in Oslo. The mag is guessing his reason for not going there, was to avoid to give the spanish media an opportunity to bring Felipe's long-time relationship with the Oslo inhabitant, Eva Sannum, back on top of the news, now a month before his wedding to newly-found lover Letizia.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Gentry

It would have been awesome to see Felipe at the christening...but I must say that I don't blame him for not wanting to deal with the Eva stuff so close to his own wedding.