Prince Felipe, Current Events Part 2: May 2003 - June 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rattie21

Commoner
LOS QUEBRADEROS DE CABEZA DEL REY: LA GUERRA, EL REBROTE NACIONALISTA Y CASAR AL PRÍNCIPE

Las personas que se mueven en el entorno del Rey, sobre todo amigos personales que lo tratan en el ámbito privado, comentan que si alguien sintió alivio por el fin de la guerra de Iraq fue don Juan Carlos, después de haber vivido en silencio pero con honda preocupación las movilizaciones en la calle contra la posición del Gobierno Aznar respecto al conflicto bélico.

No tanto porque en aquellas manifestaciones, como en la posterior del Primero de Mayo, reaparecieran de pronto banderas republicanas, como a veces se ha insinuado, sino por la tensión que le causaba contemplar la fractura entre gobernantes y gobernados sin poder manifestar públicamente la posición de la Corona, mientras ciertos sectores se lo exigían.

Esas personas allegadas a la Familia Real explican que, alejado el foco de la tensión que desencadenó las movilizaciones ciudadanas de marzo y abril, un segundo motivo de inquietud en el Palacio de la Zarzuela es un cierto rebrote de los nacionalismos, expresado en los tres proyectos que otros tantos partidos políticos guardan en la recámara política para modificar la legalidad vigente en función de sus respectivas aspiraciones. La información elaborada en Zarzuela entiende que los dos de Cataluña (el de CiU y el del PSC) son “de acomodación constitucional”, mientras que el del País Vasco (el del PNV, más conocido como `Plan Ibarretxe´) es “rupturista”.

Una tercera preocupación prioritaria del Rey es la que viene a resumir el quehacer de la nueva etapa atribuido al equipo que, encabezado por Alberto Aza, ha sustituido en Zarzuela a Rafael Almansa, Ortega Spottorno y Asunción Valdés. Primero, casar al Príncipe. Y segundo, asegurar un heredero directo para la Corona de España.

:lol:

The article talks about the kings current headaches: The War on Iraq, and the Anzar Government, Felipe not married yet, and the fact that Felipe has yet to provide an heir...

It only mentions however the Prince of Astrius and his not being married and unable to provide an heir at this moment in time, in ONE SENTANCE, it is ONLY THE LAST SENTANCE...... :rolleyes: :lol: :p

The entire article itself, has to talk about the current government issues, and the Prime Minister......

I hope that this helps.

If you have any more questions just post them....

:)

If the king and queen allowed Felipe to chose a bride that is not a royal or aristocrat then maybe he will get married. Although him being 35 and STILL sowing his wild oats, I don't think anything short of a kick in the pants would straighten him out.

He has access to all these girls who may be falling over themselves to get to him, why can't he just chose a nice one who he is friends with. I mean don't do a Frederick and pick the first one that is easy (sorry to fans of Mary), but really these models that he is dating and the spoiled little rich girls are just too much lately.

Why couldn't he find a sweet little nurse when Jamie was in the hospital? :lol: She would probably have spoiled him rotten and treated him so sweet and ... oh sorry that would have been me. LOL No seriously he needs to find someone who actually has a job and can realte to the people of Spain.

Originally posted by cathy g@May 23rd, 2003 - 5:49 pm
If the king and queen allowed Felipe to chose a bride that is not a royal or aristocrat then maybe he will get married. Although him being 35 and STILL sowing his wild oats, I don't think anything short of a kick in the pants would straighten him out.

He has access to all these girls who may be falling over themselves to get to him, why can't he just chose a nice one who he is friends with. I mean don't do a Frederick and pick the first one that is easy (sorry to fans of Mary), but really these models that he is dating and the spoiled little rich girls are just too much lately.

Why couldn't he find a sweet little nurse when Jamie was in the hospital? :lol: She would probably have spoiled him rotten and treated him so sweet and ... oh sorry that would have been me. LOL No seriously he needs to find someone who actually has a job and can realte to the people of Spain.
Cathy G

I agree with you completely on the comment about allowing him to marry someone whom he loves whether they are royal, aristocrat, noble or commoner.

With regards to the fact that he needs to settle down and stop sowing his wild oats. I disagree. I think that if and when he finds someone genuine (unlike Mary Donaldson) whom loves Felipe for Felipe and not HRH the Prince of Asturias and Spain. (hope you understand what I am getting at) whom he loves and is in love with then I think he would be happy to get married. I would rather have him single and happy than married and unhappy and that includes being with the wrong person for any reason.

I mean men can go on fathering vhildren into their 70's agewise and I do not agree with rumours that if and when Felipe has married and has issue then he will abdicate in favour of him. I think Juan Carlos will reign until he dies.

What qualities do you consider suitable for a future Queen of Spain with regards to education, personality, job, etc, etc, etc?

I agree with what has been said here. King Juan Carlos may have a bit of headache from constantly wondering when his son will settle down. However, I think that Felipe has the truly big headache, IMO. It must be so frustrating to have to live up to so many expectations and to have to choose someone that everyone else will consider to be suitable even if she may not be who you really want....more headaches..and if he chooses a woman that he will never truly be happy with poor Flip will have even more headaches. :( :(

Originally posted by rattie21+May 23rd, 2003 - 9:16 pm--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rattie21 @ May 23rd, 2003 - 9:16 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--cathy g@May 23rd, 2003 - 5:49 pm
If the king and queen allowed Felipe to chose a bride that is not a royal or aristocrat then maybe he will get married.  Although him being 35 and STILL sowing his wild oats, I don't think anything short of a kick in the pants would straighten him out.

He has access to all these girls who may be falling over themselves to get to him,  why can't he just chose a nice one who he is friends with.  I mean don't do a Frederick and pick the first one that is easy (sorry to fans of Mary), but really these models that he is dating and the spoiled little rich girls are just too much lately.

Why couldn't he find a sweet little nurse when Jamie was in the hospital?    :lol:  She would probably have spoiled him rotten and treated him so sweet and ... oh sorry that would have been me.  LOL  No seriously he needs to find someone who actually has a job and can realte to the people of Spain.
Cathy G

I agree with you completely on the comment about allowing him to marry someone whom he loves whether they are royal, aristocrat, noble or commoner.

With regards to the fact that he needs to settle down and stop sowing his wild oats. I disagree. I think that if and when he finds someone genuine (unlike Mary Donaldson) whom loves Felipe for Felipe and not HRH the Prince of Asturias and Spain. (hope you understand what I am getting at) whom he loves and is in love with then I think he would be happy to get married. I would rather have him single and happy than married and unhappy and that includes being with the wrong person for any reason.

I mean men can go on fathering vhildren into their 70's agewise and I do not agree with rumours that if and when Felipe has married and has issue then he will abdicate in favour of him. I think Juan Carlos will reign until he dies.

What qualities do you consider suitable for a future Queen of Spain with regards to education, personality, job, etc, etc, etc? [/b][/quote]
I was talking about Juan Carlos abdicating in favour of Felipe

HI. Yes Rattie I know what you were getting at and I would love to see him happy with whomever he marries as long as she truly loves him and isn't a gold digger.

I also believe that he is truly happy with himself (his situation/being single,etc.) now. I, like almost everyone else, would love to see him with someone he is madly in love with and seeing his adorable little children.

I also doubt that JC would step down for his son. He seems like the person, in my opinion at least, please do get angry, that he like to be in control and if he abdicates, he will not have the power like he does now.

Does anyone really know if he does have power or is just a figure head?

Sorry Rattie I forgot to include the qualities that I wanted in the future Queen of Spain.

I swear I am not doing this to be more post.

1. Sincere about her role as the future queen.

2. Willing to be interest, if not already, in all that her husband does. (I guess this is kind of moot because he would have found this out before they had gotten married.)

3. Someone who is not willing to upstage Felipe on events/walkabouts like Princess Diana did.

4. Someone who has actually had a life and is able to feel what the people of Spain are feeling about the economy, way of life, etc.

I hope everyone understands what I am trying to say here.

I just don't want a spoiled little brat being out next queen and who will eventually go into a hissy fit when things don't go her way. The thorne was re-established in the 1970's and is really to weak, in my opinion, to withstand someone like that.

Hello Cathy G,
I am trying to understand what you are saying about the standards for the next queen and I am still a bit confused. And the biggest question asked here, which I will break down clearly later, is whether the health of the marriage that felipe will enter is above or second to felipe position as heir to the throne.
First I would like to express my understanding that every royal must tread lightly so as not to upset the political system in which they live. But now back to the standards, I agree that your first standard should be on the list as well as the 4th.
However I am confused as to what you mean by the 2nd standard. Is this next queen not to have interests of her own, can she not hve ideas that disagree with felipe. And with the 3rd standard, what if this next queen can't help the amount of attention that she recieves? And is it really best for her to become a timid being simply obediantly following felipe as his servant. That to me is not a marriage, not a healthy one. Thus leading me back to my main question, should the welfare of the marriage be second or above the position?
I feel that the welfare of the marriage should be above for then the position that felipe holds benifits from his happiness and calmness in his life. In a marriage the partners should be equal, without question. I am not saying that the next consort queen should conduct herself in a manner that implies that she is, in her royal position, equal to the king. But when felipe walk through those doors that belong to his home. He is not King/master but husband/father. I hope I have explained my ideas clearly and if I have interpreted your message incorrectly, please correct me. Thank you for your attention. Have a good day. :blush: :flower:

Hi Cathy,

You said in point

3. Someone who is not willing to upstage Felipe on events/walkabouts like Princess Diana did.

I don't understand how you could require that of any woman unless you change them completely. If a woman is beautiful and stylish, and her husband is duddy, she will upstage him, whether she wants to or not. Do you think Princess Diana should have worn long gray burkas instead?

Moreover, Prince Filipe doesn't look like the kind of prince who any woman will be able to upstage, or at least, not by much. :flower: :innocent:

I did not mean fto say that Diana should have been covered from head to toe but simply that she should have handled the press differently.

With regard to Felipe, the man is damn hot and, yes, it would be hard for his wife to upstage him but she must also handle the press in such a way as to not manipulate them.

FElipe's wife should love him wholeheartedly and yes should have her own interests and be interested in what her husband does. I worded my initial response wrong. She should also try to include her husband in her interests.

Hi Cathy and Thissal,

By the time Diana started actually "manipulating the press," her marriage to Prince Charles was basically over. There is a huge difference between going to the press and saying this or that and causing scandals, versus maintaining popular support because of fashion sense or charity work, etc (such as Queen Rania does in Jordan).

Hopefully when Prince Felipe marries it will be for good. And I'm sure he's wife is going to be popular and probably *might* upstage him at times, but if they have a healthy marriage, I highly doubt that the "manipulation of the press" thing will be much of an issue. :flower:

Hi Jalmey,

Yes there is a big difference between popular support by the media for legitimate reasons and manipulating the media during a nasty marriage/divorce.

I saw this documentary on Diana where it said Charles resented the attention she received from the media almost from the start, because it was more than what he was getting. He should have been proud of her instead.

I also remember reading that Diana should not have worn anything more stylish than what the Queen wore. That would not have been fair -- to Diana or to the public or the polishing that the British monarchy needed.

The Queen may be many things, but as she got older a woman clothed in the height of fashion was not one of them.
I remember reading she dresses the way she does because she doesn't want to necessarily dress better then the expectations of her subjects, or because her subjects have this expectation of her that she wants to follow.

Originally posted by thissal@May 25th, 2003 - 2:45 pm
Hi Jalmey,

Yes there is a big difference between popular support by the media for legitimate reasons and manipulating the media during a nasty marriage/divorce.

I saw this documentary on Diana where it said Charles resented the attention she received from the media almost from the start, because it was more than what he was getting.   He should have been proud of her instead.  

I also remember reading that Diana should not have worn anything more stylish than what the Queen wore.  That would not have been fair -- to Diana or to the public or the polishing that the British monarchy needed.
Hi Thissal,

I find that very sad that Charles was jealous of his own *wife*. That speaks wonders about his personality to me. Fortunately, it seems that Felipe is nowhere near following Charles' footsteps. In my opinion, I see the future Crown Princess of Spain on the arm of a man that would be completely smitten and supportive of her. I think Felipe, having observed so many of his friends and sisters, as well as being in several long-term relationships himself, would know what it takes to make a marriage work.

But, I have a question. At 35, right now, what age do you think Felipe's bride should be? I know no one can pinpoint an exact number and say, "Oh, I think she should be exactely such and such old," and, in addition, age is only a number and he should marry whoever he's in love with, but:

Do you think it would be best if Felipe married someone who has experienced life as much as he has? Is an ideal age for a bride for him late 20's, early 30's.

Or would a younger bride suit his needs more (ala Diana to Charles, although we all know how that turned out :( ). Would a girl in her early-to-mid 20's be too "young" for Felipe?

I'm asking because, personally, I know if I attempted to date a guy in their 30's, I would be completely over my head, even though I consider myself mature for my age. I think, when there is a large age difference between people, it becomes harder to relate. However, I do think if the "right women" comes along, however old she is won't really matter at all. What do you guys think?

Hi Jalmey. How are you? I think that Felipe should marry someone who is closer to his age i.e. - 26-33 maybe.

You don't want her to be too young. Like the Diana he plays table tennis with seems to young for him. But someone who is the age listed above or even like Isabel Sartorius a few years older than him would be best.

Alexander is a few years older that Joachim. I also believe that looking at pictures of him with Isabel that he truly loved her and could relate to someone who is older than he is. He seems mature enough to deal with an older woman.

This is just my opinion. :flower:

Hi Cathy!

I have to agree with you. When I was asking the question, I had already sided with the older age bracket.

I'm not trying to say someone younger would be a bad choice for the Prince, seeing how I fall into this bracket. All I'm saying that sometimes its better to get some life experience in you before you settle down, especially with the Prince of Spain! I think it would probably benefit the future Princess if she did have some life experience, if she possibly worked, had previous relationships, lived on her own, etc, because that would be prepare her for a role in the monarchy.

An additional question I would like to pose:

How would Spain handle a divorce in the Spanish royal family (hopefully such a thing will never happen, but lets hypothize.) Spain is very conservative...could this be the reason Felipe is waiting; he doesn't want to make a mistake?

Hi Jalmey,

All other things being equal, it would be best for Felipe's wife to be closer to him in age, which would also mean she knows more about herself and what she wants or does not really want in life. However, there is a lot of exceptions in the other things that may or may not be equal that could make age a low priority.

I've been reading about the history of the Spanish royal family and the one thing that struck me about them is they've had more than their share of health problems. Many times, it was hard to find any heirs left to take the throne. With that in mind, Felipe would want to marry someone young enough who had lots of years ahead of her for having children -- and that should be finished by the time she is ~40 at the most.

HI Jalmey.

As to the divorce question - I think that Spain would handle it pretty well if it wasn't a major player being divorced. If, go forbid, one of his sisters were to get divorced then it would be considered okay in my opinion because their children will still be in line for the throne after Felipe. But if Felipe directly or JC and Sofia decided to get a divorce it would not be considered proper since I think that they are the head or something similar of the Catholic Church.

I also think that Spain has seen the actions of the other royal families such as England and especially Monaco to see that their Royals are pretty much a godsend and would understand that it would be better for them to get a divorce than to have a major scandal on their hands.

I have a questions for you that is similar to yours. Should a crown princess of spain come from a divorced family as long as she has an impeccable past besides said divorce or should that even be considered as a requirement?

In my opinion, as long as she has a pretty spotless past (no nude sunbathing, drunken pictures, etc.) she should be considered as she, most likely, will not want to make the same mistakes as her parents.

I don't think that just because a female came from a divorced family that they would necessarily be excluded from potential matches for Felipe. I know a few people who's parents divorced, and they're bound and determined to never let it happen to them.

Maybe Prince Felipe will not get married. He is getting a little old, and may just put it off indefinitely as has Prince Albert of Monaco. Then it will be up to his sisters' children to carry on the title.

Thissal

I do not think so. I think Felipe is the type of guy whom wants a marriage and kids. I also think that the fact the Spanish monarchy is so fragile is another reason he is having difficulties. This is my take on the situation.

On one hand he wants to get married and have kids but with someone whom is genuine and loves Felipe for Felipe and not a Mary Donaldson type of person just in love with the idea of being a princess with a title. As well as being genuine she must have the qualities Felipe is looking for in a woman - beautiful, intelligent, fun, etc etc. On the other hand she has to be approved by the King and Queen, Spanish Parliament and the general public of Spain. She must be a Roman Catholic or convert to being a Roman Catholic. Have no scandals in her past etc etc.

Cathy G

I do not agree with your views on the Spanish Royals and divorce. Spain would not be able to stand a divorce in the immediate Royal family be it JC and Sofia, Felipe and his wife (whomever she may be), Elena and Jaime or Inaki and Christina.

You have to remember how fragile the Spanish Monarchy is with comparison to England and Monaco. In 1931 King Alfonso 8th, Felipe's grandfather was overthrown as the monarch, then in 1939 Spain went through a civil war then it had the dictator Fransisco Franco as head of state. It was only in 1975 that Spain's Monarchy was restored with JC. So if any of the immediate Royal family were to divorce I think that the Royal family would be overthrown for good and Spain would be become a Republic.

Hi Rattie21

I completely forgot about the Franco situation when I gave my opinion. But it was just an example of the lesser Royals having more leeway so to speak than Felipe or the King and Queen.

Not saying the Elana, Christina and their spouses are lesser royals but they do not carry out as many duties as Felipe or the King and Queen and they do have children that are next in line for the throne therefore securing the throne.

But I think that the Infantas and Felipe have seen the things that their Mother has gone through with their father's (supposed) philandering that they are willing to make their marriages work.

Originally posted by cathy g@Jun 3rd, 2003 - 5:14 pm
Hi Rattie21

I completely forgot about the Franco situation when I gave my opinion. But it was just an example of the lesser Royals having more leeway so to speak than Felipe or the King and Queen.

Not saying the Elana, Christina and their spouses are lesser royals but they do not carry out as many duties as Felipe or the King and Queen and they do have children that are next in line for the throne therefore securing the throne.

But I think that the Infantas and Felipe have seen the things that their Mother has gone through with their father's (supposed) philandering that they are willing to make their marriages work.
Cathy G

That is just my point although Elena and Christina and their spouses carry out lesser amounts of duties does not make them lesser Royals as they are the children of the King and Queen even though they are not heir(s) apparent(s). In England lesser royals are considered to be anyone whom is not the child or grandchild of the Queen regardless of what title they carry or of amount of duties they carry - the Princess Royal (Anne) being my main example.

Originally posted by cathy g@Jun 3rd, 2003 - 5:14 pm
Hi Rattie21

Cathy G

If reports are to be believed then Jaime - Elena's husband was dating Eva (Eva Sannum, Felipe's ex girlfriend) way before Felipe began dating her. I do not know if this true and if it is if he and Elena were dating or were married or were married with kids when it happened.

Divorce

I have to agree with Rattie when I say that I do not think the Spanish people would not uphold a divorce among the Royal Family. In addition to Rattie's reasons, Spain is largely a Catholic country, and in my understanding of the religion (which is slim, I must confess :blush: ), divorce isn't as "allowed" as..say...the Church of England, which was formed to grant a divorce in the first place. That being said, look at what divorce has done to the British royals...

However, divorce is something that no one really looks "forward" to and if one knew that if he were to get married and would not be allowed to divorce, you can understand how that said person would be a bit wary of relationships. I agree, Felipe probably knows the difference between the "Marys" of the world and the eligible brides out there, but the question is, can he fall in love with his supposedly "perfect bride?" Can a girl be suitable to be Queen and still capture his heart? Hopefully, there is *someone* out there, somewhere, but you can't blame Felipe for not having found her right now. I think when the time comes he'll settle down and raise a family. Albert on the other hand....err...lets not go into that! :p :innocent:

As for his potential bride coming from a divorced background?

Well, even though I agree that should not be a big deal, Eva was criticized because her parents were divorced. I think some people might wrongly believe that if a child comes from a broken home, then they will produce a broken home, as well. However, I think that all experiences that someone can learn from can't hurt them. Granted, there should be some standards to say this is the proper behavior for royalty, but to blame someone for something that is beyond their control is not really fair.

-Mirth

Unless Spain is so horribly strict, that or the King himself is just set of his son marrying blue blood and nothing more, then I see no reason why the Prince of Astrius should not marry the woman he loves.... Of course there is a difference between infatuation/excitment and LOVE....

One should not judge someone so fast just because they come from a broken home. That is labeling someone before you even know who they are.... I mean look what the Prince of Orange married... (I adore Maxima and all that she does, she is a wonderful example of a good future queen and her subjects love her.....).... Maxima's father did such horrible things in the late 60's early 70's in Argentina, to the point where it nearly cost the Prince of Orange an opportunity to marry the woman he loved, he was however persistant about marrying her and I am guessing that Queen Bea gave her the chance, and found out how WONDERFUL she was dispite all of the controversy surrounding her....

Just because one comes from a broken home doesn't mean that she is going to ruin her marriage off the bat, or that she is going to be a horrible person, role model etc. Perhaps he/she struggled in life, but, eventually pulled out ontop of their game, that is what people should be recognizing. The fact that someone succedded (Maxima) and that they have come out above all that has happened around them.

Now I could see however Spain not being happy with the fact that their future monarch married a SINGLE MOTHER who had a child out of wedlock with a man who she was not even with at the time..... That would be a flipper for the people of Spain... I could understand giving her a chance, but, given everything that she was into when she met her future husband, I would have a hard time acceppting.... If she would have been able to take the time to clean her self up, and trya nd fix some of the things about her prior to trying to get involved that would be a whole different story. I was amazed that Norway allowed this...

Basily what I am trying to say is that:

There is a difference between a woman who is going to marry a future king with a past that she has not done anything about or tried to fix, or should I say someone who has not risin above the clouds to make herself the best that she could be.

and

A wonderful woman who is deeply in love with her future husband, and yet, has done her part to be the best that she could be. That is dispite a perental break up, horrible childhood etc.

Well, I guess I will wait to respond to questions, since this one is novel. Sometimes I am a dork and talk and talk and talk (something I am really good at by the way)and get confused on what I am trying to say and get lost in my own writing......

Love Chanel :grrr:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom