Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia, Current Events Part 10: June - July 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rchainho said:
Can someone tell me why in these pics, one her bump seems much smaller than the other photo? Is she using an elastic sash?

An elastic sash? Do you mean like a girdle?

Why would a pregnant woman use anything that would constrict her belly? What are you implying about Letizia's pregnancy? That she's faking it? What do you expect she will do in the fall when she and Felipe are expected to present a baby to the world as the next Infante or Infanta of Spain? To present a plastic doll?

Is it just me or are others getting sick of the same people here being cynical about Letizia? If you don't like her clothes that's fine. If you think she looks snobby then that's your opinon and that's okay too. If you don't like her at all that's okay too. But to question if the woman is really pregnant is so outrageous. :mad:

I know pregnant woman that use a girdle to be more elegant, it were my clasmates. But isn't letizia's case.

rchainho said:
I know pregnant woman that use a girdle to be more elegant, it were my clasmates. But isn't letizia's case.

I've never heard of a pregnant woman using a girdle before. One would think that it would be unsafe for the baby as girdles are used to constrict the belly area.

When girdles were used many centuries ago, women's organs were frequently damaged because girdles pushed/squished their organs.

One would think that such a practice (especially in today's enlightened age) that girdles would not be used by pregnant women.

And besides, as Letizia's pregnancy has been long-ago announced now and it's not something that she needs to hide, why wear a girdle to camoflage or hide her blooming state?

I don't know. But i saw my classmates using a girdle for sure and they said that was comfortable.

Lunes, 11 de julio de 2005[font=Verdana,Arial]AUDIENCIA. COMITÉ DE LA CANDIDATURA OLÍMPICA MADRID 2012
Asisten con Sus Majestades los Reyes
Palacio de La Zarzuela. Madrid
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial]ALMUERZO CON EL PRESIDENTE DE LA REPÚBLICA DE COLOMBIA Y LA SRA. DE URIBE
Asisten con Sus Majestades los Reyes
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial]AUDIENCIA. SESIÓN DE TRABAJO CONJUNTA CON LOS DIRECTORES DE LOS CENTROS DEL INSTITUTO CERVANTES
[/font]

how cool! lots of acts for monday. i really think they shouldn't do this. one day lots of acts and then a lot of days without any. don't think that's good for pregnant women. wouldn't it be better to choose different dates? :)

no need to get angry, posters of trf... don't think rchainho wanted to say letizia was faking her pregnancy, that would be impossible as pregnancies are really serious talking about royalty.

http://actualidad.terra.es/articulo/html/av2392917.htm

The Princes of Asturias will preside, next Monday July 11th, at six o’clock in the afternoon, at the Palace of La Zarzuela, over a meeting with the 44 directors of the several Cervantes Institutes, as well as with the minister of culture, Carmen Calvo, and the Secretary of State for International Cooperation, Leire Pajín. After the meeting, there will take place a photo session.

carlota said:
how cool! lots of acts for monday. i really think they shouldn't do this. one day lots of acts and then a lot of days without any. don't think that's good for pregnant women. wouldn't it be better to choose different dates? :)

no need to get angry, posters of trf... don't think rchainho wanted to say letizia was faking her pregnancy, that would be impossible as pregnancies are really serious talking about royalty.

The truth is that for Letizia it is necessary to to be a problem to come to so many things the same day, and test of it is that she will not go to the dinner (a sorrow not to be able to see her); but I believe that it owes to that it is necessary to put in agreement many agendas, on the one hand the President of Colombia, for other one the members of the town hall of Madrid, and all the members of the Cervantes who on the following day begin a meeting in Galicia. And they have it had do the whole same day. Not that more acts will have this week, but on Tuesday the Kings will have dinner with the President of Colombia, and Thursday is Irene's baptism.
They are going to be running almost the whole day!:eek:

From Terra:

Princes Asturias transmit condolences in British embassy

The Princes of Asturias came today to the residence of the ambassador of the United Kingdom in Madrid to express their condolences for the terrorist attempts happened in London last Thursday, that they caused the death of several dozens of persons and hundreds of injured men.
In name of the ambassador, who is in London, the business manager of the embassy, Nick Kay, received Don Felipe and doña Letizia at their arrival to the residence, placed in a residential zone of the west of Madrid, where they signed in the book of condolences.

lula said:
The Princes of Asturias came today to the residence of the ambassador of the United Kingdom in Madrid to express their condolences for the terrorist attempts happened in London.
Photos from Terra:

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzn4.jpg
    zzzzzzzzn4.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 553
  • zzzzzzzzn3.jpg
    zzzzzzzzn3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 321
  • zzzzzzzzn2.jpg
    zzzzzzzzn2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 288
  • zzzzzzzzn1.jpg
    zzzzzzzzn1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 531
I like that picture, too, Lucy. She looked really elegant today in all of her appearances.

From Terra:

The Princes of Asturias presided today at a meeting work with 42 directors of the centers of the Institute Felipe was interested, between other questions, for the plans of expansion of the Institute, specially in Africa.
The Prince demonstrated to the assembled ones the support enthusiast of the Wreath for the expansion of the Spanish in the world, as well as of the culture in this language.
There treated also Don Felipe of the potential who supposes that one speaks the same language in Latin America and underlined that though the Institute goes in it goes only fourteen years, it seems that it does very much more time that works given its results.

I think it's about time Letizia had her own agenda, instead of standing sheepishly next to her husband all the time.

The Princes of Asturias presided today, at six o’clock in the afternoon, over a meeting with the 44 directors of the several Cervantes Institutes, as well as with the minister of culture, Carmen Calvo, and the Secretary of State for International Cooperation, Leire Pajín.
Photos from Terra:

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzn30.jpg
    zzzzzzzzn30.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 167
  • zzzzzzzzn31.jpg
    zzzzzzzzn31.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Hannelore said:
I think it's about time Letizia had her own agenda, instead of standing sheepishly next to her husband all the time.

I totally disagree -- I do not think that Letizia has been "sheepishly" standing next to Felipe all this time, first as his fiancee then as the Princess of Asturias.

By all accounts, despite sharing her husband's agenda, Letizia has contributed just as much as Felipe has through her hundreds of engagements since November 2003. She has charmed even the most stubborn of politicians, writers, artists, military personnel, hospital staff, cultural and social leaders and activities, etc. with her intelligence, her understanding of world politics and history, culture amongst other things on both the national and international level.

She was not and has never been a mere puppet standing next to Felipe all this time shaking hands and smiling like a doll. She has been as active as Felipe has been on their jointly shared agenda.

:mad: I find it quite frustrating (and demeaning to her) those who judge Letizia as a "lesser" princess because she has not had her own agenda since becoming the Princess of Asturias or that just because she doesn't have her own agenda that she isn't doing anything. When Queen Sofia accompanies King Juan Carlos on a trip abroad or when they mutually welcome incoming presidents and their wives, nobody thinks that Queen Sofia is merely standing sheepishly next to the King like a pretty doll. So why think the same of Letizia?

By this same token, every time the spouse of the monarch or the heir to the throne accompanies them on a visit, are they merely "sheepishly" tagging along? When Phillippe and Mathilde went to India recently no one thought that Mathilde was "sheepishly" tagging along when she and Phillippe attended the same meetings or dinners. So what is the difference with Letizia?

Alexandria is not worth a sorrow entering again this discussion. It seems that there are people interested in extracting the topic again and again. I at the moment have clear that, at least, until January or February we will not see alone Letizia. I think that it is time for everything, and with the time Letizia will have her own agenda. She will look for the topics in that more she is interested and she was devoting herself to them. At the moment she does a good team with the Prince, since them themselves they has said, they prepare the things together and are comfortable like that.

The comparisons are odious, and I do not understand these constant comparisons between princesses. Every country, every Royal Family, is different.
How well you have said, Letizia in little more than one year has travelled to numerous countries, has crossed almost the whole Spain, has been with people of all kinds from chiefs of state up to children of the favelas ... and all that is what is forming her and of all this learning.

In this time Letizia has been in acts that probably have made her very happy, but also in others for which I believe that I can say that none of other princesses has passed, and I hope that they does not have to pass.
Certainly, a thing that in its day was called me the attention, in last July the President of Austria died, and to the funeral they were the Princes inheritors, but the only princess was Letizia.
The things are like a sound, and for my important thing is that she continues working, doing well the things and learning. The above mentioned thing, already it will have time to see that it happens. Only the passage of time allows to judge the things with more clarity.

Agree totally with you.

We can't compare to a princess with another one, because they are princess of different countries,cultures...

From GettyImages

Last edited:
I think Letizia carries this outfit really well...to be completely, honest, I don't like anything about the style of shirt at all. but it definetely suits her - maybe because of the color? the color is very similar to the skirt suit she wore twice - both during the engagement period and just a few month ago. she looks really relaxed - like she just came back from vacation or even like she is still on vacation!

I guess it's all a mater of what one finds important or interesting. I'd rather see a princess that attends the kinds of functions Letizia attends with her husband--and for which she must be well prepared, such as intimate gatherings with world leaders or today's meeting of the Instituto Cervantes directors--then seeing her by herself at yet another fashion show, for example. Each Princess has something to offer and each Royal House has its own protocol, but some people will insist on passing judgement for their own purposes.

Getty has a few more images posted from today's meeting with the international directors of the Instituto Cervantes:
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/so...0|0|0|53221030|0|0|0|0|0||0|0|0|0|0&p=7&tag=3

It does not matter if Leti is by herself or with her Felipe, what matters is what they bring to Spain (the end results). Some royal houses want their princesses to be a fashion icon and be just a pretty doll, other houses engage their princesses in activities with susbtance whether by themselves or/and with their hubbies...Besides Leti is a very smart person who has proofed herself even before marrying Felipe. She had a brilliant career and every body knows that...she was not like jumping from one job to another trying to find herself.:confused: ...And you have really to be disciplined to be able to have such a full schedule and be here and there..And it takes alot to be able to meet different people and leaders with different backgrounds and cultures and be able to interest them by what you say and not just by your clothes and make up...

Although royal houses differ, It is obvious that Letizia is a hardworking princess and teaming with her husband in all the functions (political, sports, shows, etc) just show how proactive she is and how she is able to handle herself in such events be it by her knowledge or by her manners....

Last edited:
~~~
The color of Letizia's outfit is very refreshing, vibrant and summery. I like her purse, I don't care for the top, but I suppose that it is most comfortable.
----

This discussion is very interesting. I agree with some parts of various posts and disagree with others.

Alexandria said:
By this same token, every time the spouse of the monarch or the heir to the throne accompanies them on a visit, are they merely "sheepishly" tagging along? When Phillippe and Mathilde went to India recently no one thought that Mathilde was "sheepishly" tagging along when she and Phillippe attended the same meetings or dinners. So what is the difference with Letizia?

I think the difference with Letizia is, that there has never been any sort of individuality with her (except for her speech a few weeks ago). There is nothing "wrong" with being part of a "team" or a couple working together; but in the same fashion that the heir also does his/her own agenda, the same can be done for the spouse. From the beginning Princess Mathilde started working and having her own agenda. In addition to being a part of the "team" with her husband, Mathilde is also very much an individual, she has had many solo visits both at home and abroad and has made many speeches as well. In the visit to India Mathilde and Phillippe each had their own agenda, in addition to the events they attended together. Thus, there was no tagging along.

Last edited:
The remaining photos of GettyImages from the meeting with the directors of the Cervantes Institutes:

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzn35.jpg
    zzzzzzzzn35.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 136
  • zzzzzzzzn36.jpg
    zzzzzzzzn36.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 153
  • zzzzzzzzn37.jpg
    zzzzzzzzn37.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 128
  • zzzzzzzzn38.jpg
    zzzzzzzzn38.jpg