Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia, Current Events Part 55: Sept. 2011 - October 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Prince of Viana" Culture Award 2012

Prince and Princess of Asturias and Viana preside on Wednesday at the monastery of San Salvador de Leyre the award of "Prince of Viana" of Culture 2012, awarded by the Government of Navarra, and which this year went to the painter Antonio Lopez.

The event will begin at 11.30 hours on the patio of the guesthouse, chaired by Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia, and the presence of the winner, President of Navarra, Yolanda Barcina, members of the Government, the top political and institutional authorities of the Autonomous Community, members of the Navarra Council of Culture, and family and friends of Antonio Lopez.

In the afternoon, Prince and Princess will travel to Pamplona for a working visit to the City of Music of Navarra and Navarra Library and Film Archive

Los prncipes entregan el "Prncipe de Viana" a Antonio Lpez

Its the same monastery where Telma got married
Los prncipes llegan tarde a la boda de Telma Ortiz

Although this was a solemn event, when I see pictures like these
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00aJ9yuc3Mc5B/x610.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Princess+Letizia+Spanish+Royals+Attend+Principe+TgPy-BgrowSl.jpg
I always think, god, what has the institution made of this woman. She used to be lively, critical, passionate about what she is interested in, maybe she still is, but she cannot show any of it in public anymore. I consider her far too intelligent in the sense of being engaged or outspoken for this job that seems to be so dull on most occasions, always the same routines, shaking hands, smiling without emotion, a controlled appearance to the maximum.
Sofia was born into all this and her education was more or less directed at such a job where you have to leave your personality at home and act or smile your way through it, in order not to be critizised.
Letizia on the other hand, she is so different, forced into this role that - at least the public part - doesnt seem to suit her character at all. Its eating her up very slowly, and she still has three, four decades ahead of her that wont get any easier. I wonder if she sometimes thinks back of what could have been, as a journalist, having a free and self determined life.

Letizia is still critical and passionate about what she is interested in - books, education, communication.

As usual Duke, you are speculating on current events. You seem to speculate a lot about all issues of the SRF on all threads - appropriate or not.

Well, they´re just some photos...:whistling:
I don´t think she should have a eternal fake smile in her lips when listening someone speech, but then I´m not the smiley kind of person ;)

Well, they´re just some photos...:whistling:
I don´t think she should have a eternal fake smile in her lips when listening someone speech, but then I´m not the smiley kind of person ;)

Exactly. It was a solemn event to begin with, i'm sure you can make stories out of pictures taken during long speeches or listening to national anthem. Nobody smiles at the every moment of 2-3 hour events, it really depends on what kind of pictures the media is interested to publish.

I agree with Duke. One phrase in particular, "smiling without emotion." Yes, this was a serious event. But the next one that same day wasn't, and her demeanor was the same. Smiling, but not genuinely. The visit to Portugal was another example of how unengaged Letizia seems to be in what is going on.

She shouldn't have a fake smile...well, no, but she should get through her engagements and at the very least give the appearance that she is somewhat interested in what's going on and that she's a little happy to meet the people she is shaking hands with. Instead she looks bored out of her mind. Yes, they are just some photos, but it's not one or two photos. It's many pictures and videos as well.

To me Letizia doesn't look bored, just serious. Felipe didn't seem to be very joyous either:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0esA2By1MZ2wM/x610.jpg
And we don't know what Letizia was thinking, e.g. she has a very old and dear grandfather, maybe he isn't feeling well? It is so easy for us to criticize ...
There are also these kind of photos from yesterday:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bSf9vZazg8ZX/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00T15Ps2LLc0g/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06K2elsbMQ5pF/x610.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Duke. One phrase in particular, "smiling without emotion." Yes, this was a serious event. But the next one that same day wasn't, and her demeanor was the same. Smiling, but not genuinely. The visit to Portugal was another example of how unengaged Letizia seems to be in what is going on.

She shouldn't have a fake smile...well, no, but she should get through her engagements and at the very least give the appearance that she is somewhat interested in what's going on and that she's a little happy to meet the people she is shaking hands with. Instead she looks bored out of her mind. Yes, they are just some photos, but it's not one or two photos. It's many pictures and videos as well.

Many of the pictures were taken during the speeches or at the church, I don't see she looked that much different from others including Felipe, of course she was more of the focus of the media. Anyway, the awards and tribute to the Kings of Navarre were solemn events to begin with.

There were plenty of pictures she looked very happy shaking hands with the people. Here are some:
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Spanish+Royals+Visit+Film+Library+navarra+j_dmSnYJCwLl.jpg
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Spanish+Royals+Visit+Film+Library+navarra+IcftyS5UH94l.jpg
http://www.diariodenavarra.es/uploads/imagenes/9col/2012/06/06/_DSC0149_71402b80.JPG
http://www.diariodenavarra.es/uploads/imagenes/9col/2012/06/06/_DSC0141_6487dd63.JPG

Later they went to visit the library and archives of Navarre, Letizia was very excited talking books with the students, recommend books for them to read. In fact, Letizia has always been very interested at shaking hands, talking to people, at least much more than her MIL Sofia who rarely talked to ordinary people, when she did, usually less than 3 sentences.

Last edited:
Probably yesterday was a sad day for her, to return to the place where she could not see her sister marry, must produce at least certain melancholy. She was attentive and smiling with the winning one, very affectionate with a baby and she converse inspired on books in the library.

The previous days she was attentive and smiling in the acts. The problems of the King, Iñaki's problems, the problems of the country... they just do not have reasons to smile. The Prince and the Princess are carrying most of the agenda of the Royal Family, trips in Spain and abroad, tense situations, less time with their daughters... I believe that given the circumstances they are taking everything with enough dignity.

She probably needs a few days to relax. May was a month with many acts, and June will be worse. Tomorrow the Prince travels to Switzerland, on Sunday both travel to Poland, and this month they will travel also to Morocco and The United States. Also they have the principal act of the Foundation Prince of Girona and other acts.

I often wonder how she feels with all the scandals. These years as the press attacked her for stupid things, the King's House and the Royal Family did nothing to help or protect her. While the King was happy with his girlfriend and Urdangarín led a life of luxury with his shady business ... she was attacked for being thin, for her shoes or her hair. Now she must go out to face the consequences and to correct the mistakes of others that never did anything for her. If I was in her place, I some days would feel really frustrated.

The visit to Portugal was another example of how unengaged Letizia seems to be in what is going on.
It´s curious because the last thing I would call Letizia is unengaged, honestly. I guess each one has his point of view and we all see what we want to see.:cool:

It´s curious because the last thing I would call Letizia is unengaged, honestly. I guess each one has his point of view and we all see what we want to see.:cool:

Annies, there are many times that she IS engaged. But there are times, too, when she appears to want to be anyplace other than where she is, and that has been the case of late. You are right that we all have our own point of view on these things and how they appear to us;)

I think some just like to see her flashing more fake royal smiles at the cameras from time to time. I agree with you that the last thing I would call Letizia is unengaged since she often did more than just the royal courtesy.

Last edited:
Probably yesterday was a sad day for her, to return to the place where she could not see her sister marry, must produce at least certain melancholy. She was attentive and smiling with the winning one, very affectionate with a baby and she converse inspired on books in the library.

The previous days she was attentive and smiling in the acts. The problems of the King, Iñaki's problems, the problems of the country... they just do not have reasons to smile. The Prince and the Princess are carrying most of the agenda of the Royal Family, trips in Spain and abroad, tense situations, less time with their daughters... I believe that given the circumstances they are taking everything with enough dignity.

She probably needs a few days to relax. May was a month with many acts, and June will be worse. Tomorrow the Prince travels to Switzerland, on Sunday both travel to Poland, and this month they will travel also to Morocco and The United States. Also they have the principal act of the Foundation Prince of Girona and other acts.

I often wonder how she feels with all the scandals. These years as the press attacked her for stupid things, the King's House and the Royal Family did nothing to help or protect her. While the King was happy with his girlfriend and Urdangarín led a life of luxury with his shady business ... she was attacked for being thin, for her shoes or her hair. Now she must go out to face the consequences and to correct the mistakes of others that never did anything for her. If I was in her place, I some days would feel really frustrated.

As for the King and his mistakes that others have to pay for, mainly the Princes, well, he paid for the mistakes of other people most part of his life, but brought democracy to Spain what will still be rememered at times when the monarchy has long been abolished. JC brought democracy and nobody will ask why or how and if he had girlfriends next to his wife or not. Without his personal sacrifices, there would be no CP Felipe or no CP Letizia today.

I still find it sad that Letizia was never given the space to be herself, was never made welcome/protected as the person she is but was forced into something defined by the powers that be what is not her. I guess in a different country, where they'd make use of her assets instead of surpressing them, she would be seen as god's gift to royalty, with a reason.

Felipe was born into this whole attitude, but for a person with a snappy character trait who had a life of herself for 30 years+ this must be hell, and at least to me it shows. At first I thought Letizia was naive but I guess it was impossible for her to know how royal life would turn out or marrying into the Borbon family really meant.

Last edited:
I do think the two things Letizia can learn (and should learn) from her MIL. When she walks into a room, hold the head high and 'here I come' smile. Also in a group picture, stand straight, face front (don't face side way), hold the two hands on the front, look at the cameras and smile.

I think some just like to see her flashing more fake royal smiles at the cameras from time to time. I agree with you that the last thing I would call Letizia is unengaged since she often did more than just the royal courtesy.

Ther are two types of people: people who think the worse theirmfellow human beings and people who are positive in their outlook and the way they judge other people.

Los Príncipes de Asturias presiden este miércoles la entrega del Premio Príncipe de Viana de la Cultura a Antonio López ? Monumentos y patrimonio nacional ? Noticias, última hora, vídeos y fotos de Monumentos y patrimonio nacional en lainformacion.co
Princes of Asturias and Viana chair Wednesday in the Monastery of San Salvador de Leyre, the ceremony for the Prince of Viana Prize of Culture 2012, awarded by the Government of Navarre, and which this year went to the painter Antonio Lopez.

Ther are two types of people: people who think the worse theirmfellow human beings and people who are positive in their outlook and the way they judge other people.

No one is judging Letizia. I'm not certain why some get so defensive when observations are made. I don't think the "worst of my fellow human being" (as you put it) by my posts regarding CP Letizia. On the contrary I feel sympathetic towards her. Perhaps fellow posters shouldn't think the worst of other posters when an observation is made.:flowers:

Last edited:
Photos are always just a glimpse of a millisecond.
Looking solemn in some cases may "implicate" looking bored / unengaged / unhappy / sad / thinking about divorce ...... That is completely unfair. And btw: you are able to get those pics from ALL Royals, if you are only clicking in the "wrong millisecond".
Thanks to all who pictured a smiling Letizia during the same event we can see, that she was far away from being unengaged.
Bye Bine

Its the same monastery where Telma got married
Los prncipes llegan tarde a la boda de Telma Ortiz

Although this was a solemn event, when I see pictures like these
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00aJ9yuc3Mc5B/x610.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Princess+Letizia+Spanish+Royals+Attend+Principe+TgPy-BgrowSl.jpg
I always think, god, what has the institution made of this woman. She used to be lively, critical, passionate about what she is interested in, maybe she still is, but she cannot show any of it in public anymore. I consider her far too intelligent in the sense of being engaged or outspoken for this job that seems to be so dull on most occasions, always the same routines, shaking hands, smiling without emotion, a controlled appearance to the maximum.
Sofia was born into all this and her education was more or less directed at such a job where you have to leave your personality at home and act or smile your way through it, in order not to be critizised.
Letizia on the other hand, she is so different, forced into this role that - at least the public part - doesnt seem to suit her character at all. Its eating her up very slowly, and she still has three, four decades ahead of her that wont get any easier. I wonder if she sometimes thinks back of what could have been, as a journalist, having a free and self determined life.

Please if you do not like Letizia, why do you look at her? You are always speculating and giving a very negative point of view. How do you know? Sometimes we get lost in thought....
The next thing I am going to hear if that she was instrumental in I. Urdurgarín fall from grace. I remember reading that the Palmas moved to Washington D.C. because of problems with Letizia!!!!!!!!!! Now we are informed why the move took place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom