Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia, Current Events Part 4: Dec. 2004 - February 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elsa M. said:
Photos from ImagineScandinavia:
I think that one of the ocasions that she wore that clothes was in the asturias prize.

cute_girl said:
how cold is it in spain?she never wear a jacket,hope she does not catch cold!
Funny you say that. Letizia’s detractors have criticized her before, for wearing too many clothes (e.g. suit + turtleneck + topcoat) :D
It's hard to please everyone...

From Hola:

Attachments

• zzzzzp19.JPG
    zzzzzp19.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 391
marezdote said:
Also I'm pretty sure she has worn this suit before.
yes thats true, i think ive seen this suit worn 2 or 3 times,and the jacket ones worn with a different pair of pants.

lucys said:
According to ABC/Cordoba after they inaugurate this publicworks project they may also go into Cordoba proper to attend a literary event--but that would be a "private event".
The Princes attended the formal presentention of Cordoba as the Cultural Capital 2016.
Photos from ImagineScandinavia:

Attachments

• zzzzzp25.JPG
    zzzzzp25.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 277
  • zzzzzp26.JPG
    zzzzzp26.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 295
  • zzzzzp27.JPG
    zzzzzp27.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 239
  • zzzzzp28.JPG
    zzzzzp28.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 235
The Princes have also visited the exhibition Sorolla íntimo.

This is what Elmundo says about this photo:
«The whole Spain watches Letizia Ortiz with magnifying glass, to detect any signs of pregnancy. If her face is a little bit rounder, if there's a special bright in her eyes, if there's a little curve on her belly... Everything will come, as Don Felipe and Letizia, who travelled to Cordova to visit the exhibition 'Sorolla íntimo', always say.» ;)

Attachments

• zzzzzp24.JPG
    zzzzzp24.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Lucy's remaining photos, as attachments:

Attachments

• zzzzzp30.JPG
    zzzzzp30.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 234
  • zzzzzp31.JPG
    zzzzzp31.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 281
  • zzzzzp32.JPG
    zzzzzp32.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 257
  • zzzzzp33.JPG
    zzzzzp33.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 415
  • zzzzzp34.JPG
    zzzzzp34.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 254
O.K., I saw them!
Thanks, Lucys!
Here they are:

Attachments

• zzzzzp36.JPG
    zzzzzp36.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 242
  • zzzzzp37.JPG
    zzzzzp37.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 221
  • zzzzzp38.JPG
    zzzzzp38.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 262
  • zzzzzp40.JPG
    zzzzzp40.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 299
  • zzzzzp39.JPG
    zzzzzp39.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 340
  • zzzzzp41.JPG
    zzzzzp41.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 222
  • zzzzzp42.JPG
    zzzzzp42.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 265
  • zzzzzp43.JPG
    zzzzzp43.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 297
Elsa M. said:
O.K., I saw them!
Thanks, Lucys!
Here they are:
Thank you Elsa! I must admit I was a little surprised to see so many photos of this particular event--I mean, it's an important pipeline and all for Spain, but opening a pipeline is not exactly the most glamerous of royal duties!

In any case--on Tuesday they are in Zaragoza for the annual national award ceremony to honor the best young businessmen/women (under 40).

lucys said:
Thank you Elsa! I must admit I was a little surprised to see so many photos of this particular event--I mean, it's an important pipeline and all for Spain, but opening a pipeline is not exactly the most glamerous of royal duties!
You're welcome, Lucys!
Letizia’s presence in these events is reason enough to have so many photographers displaying 10 times per minute... In that sense, I would say the Spanish Royal House (King Juan Carlos?) is being pretty smart in canalising the media’s attention to promote Felipe's work. Every time Letizia accompanies the Prince, Spaniards are closer to the future king and his commitment with the Nation. This is absolutely crucial to prepare and consolidate Monarchy, after KJC.

But there's an additional reason for such interest in every single step of the Princes of Asturias. As Elmundo says in the notes previously posted:

«The whole Spain watches Letizia Ortiz with magnifying glass, to detect any signs of pregnancy. If her face is a little bit rounder, if there's a special bright in her eyes, if there's a little curve on her belly...»

Last edited:
Elsa M. said:
Letizia’s presence in these events is reason enough to have so many photographers displaying 10 times per minute... In that sense, I would say the Spanish Royal House (King Juan Carlos?) is being pretty smart in canalising the media’s attention to promote Felipe's work. Every time Letizia accompanies the Prince, Spaniards are closer to the future king and his commitment with the Nation. This is absolutely crucial to prepare and consolidate Monarchy, after KJC.
Eight months after the wedding, has the opinon in Spain (especially among the very conservative Spaniards) changed about Letizia? I know that in the time between the engagement and the wedding there were some reservations and hesitations about Letizia because of her previous marriage and what not, but eight months of hard work as the Princess of Asturias -- has this changed any minds in Spain?

I myself have always liked Letizia and like her professionalism and have been very impressed with her dedication and working ethics so my opinon of Letizia these past eight months has only gotten better and better. But I would think that some of the anecdotes I hear at this forum alone about Letizia and how she is able to charm audiences and leaders alike must have some positive impact.

What I also really like about Letizia is that when there is a discussion about her it is not always about how she looks or what she is wearing, but also about her intelligence and her ability to carry on conversations about all sorts of topics (from literature to history). You get the clear sense that there is much, much substance behind Letizia and that she's more than a pretty face or a clothes hanger.

Alexandria said:
Eight months after the wedding, has the opinon in Spain (especially among the very conservative Spaniards) changed about Letizia? I know that in the time between the engagement and the wedding there were some reservations and hesitations about Letizia because of her previous marriage and what not, but eight months of hard work as the Princess of Asturias -- has this changed any minds in Spain?
Perhaps Isabella or Meac can say it better, since they're Spanish themselves, but even Jaime Penafiel, the hardest of Letizi's detractors (...the one who speculated about her infertility treatments and connected them with Letizia's high heels... :D ) has published an article last September (on her 100 days as Princess of Asturias), where he apparently changes his tune. He said Letizia has "a lot of personality and that is not a bad thing"...
But anyway, WHO CARES ABOUT WHAT THIS MAN SAYS?? :D

Alexandria said:
You get the clear sense that there is much, much substance behind Letizia and that she's more than a pretty face or a clothes hanger.
Agree.

In Fridey i see tv images when Letizia, Filipe, Cristina and the Queen are all dress in black, and enter in some that look like an hospital or hotel. Some1 now something oe have pics?

micas said:
In Fridey i see tv images when Letizia, Filipe, Cristina and the Queen are all dress in black, and enter in some that look like an hospital or hotel. Some1 now something oe have pics?
They weren't together last week. It could be old fotage. If they were all in black it could have been from after March 11.

no that picture was definitly recent because on another royal site i heard that they had gone to the funeral of a cousin of the king who recently died in a car accident.

I looked at corbis and getty images but the most recent photos are the ones opening the powerline. Sorry:(

The Royal Family in the funeral for Alfonso de Borbón Medina

funeral1.bmp
http://www.abc.es/abc/pg050122/prensa/noticias/Gente/Gente/200501/22/NAC-GEN-105.asp
Her Majesty the Queen, accompanied by their children, Princes de Asturias and the Infants Doña Elena and Doña Cristina, moved yesterday until the Tanatorio of the M-30 to dismiss the rest of Alfonso de Borbón Medina, son of Don Alfonso de Borbón Perez del Pulgar and Doña Ines Medina Atienza, Dukes of Santa Elena, and nephew in second degree of His Majesty the King, who had passed away the day previous in a happened traffic accident to the height of kilometer 38 of the highway of Towns

In the same Tanatorio a mass-funeral in that was celebrated also the Dukes of Soria were present, Doña Margarita and Don Carlos Zurita, and their daughter, Maria Zurita, as well as Simoneta Gomez-Acebo, daughter of Infant Doña Pilar, among other relatives and friends.

Don Felipe was specially affected, since he was personal friend of the deceased, and could not disguise his sadness when embracing to one of the brothers. ABC

Thats the article marezdote, an that is the only photo off that day.

lapopdiva said:
funeral1.bmp
http://www.abc.es/abc/pg050122/prensa/noticias/Gente/Gente/200501/22/NAC-GEN-105.asp
Her Majesty the Queen, accompanied by their children, Princes de Asturias and the Infants Doña Elena and Doña Cristina, moved yesterday until the Tanatorio of the M-30 to dismiss the rest of Alfonso de Borbón Medina, son of Don Alfonso de Borbón Perez del Pulgar and Doña Ines Medina Atienza, Dukes of Santa Elena, and nephew in second degree of His Majesty the King, who had passed away the day previous in a happened traffic accident to the height of kilometer 38 of the highway of Towns

In the same Tanatorio a mass-funeral in that was celebrated also the Dukes of Soria were present, Doña Margarita and Don Carlos Zurita, and their daughter, Maria Zurita, as well as Simoneta Gomez-Acebo, daughter of Infant Doña Pilar, among other relatives and friends.

Don Felipe was specially affected, since he was personal friend of the deceased, and could not disguise his sadness when embracing to one of the brothers. ABC

Thats the article marezdote, an that is the only photo off that day.
Nothing more nothing less.Is that that i saw. But way is no pics of that in any place?

Elsa M. said:
Perhaps Isabella or Meac can say it better, since they're Spanish themselves, but even Jaime Penafiel, the hardest of Letizi's detractors (...the one who speculated about her infertility treatments and connected them with Letizia's high heels... :D ) has published an article last September (on her 100 days as Princess of Asturias), where he apparently changes his tune. He said Letizia has "a lot of personality and that is not a bad thing"...
But anyway, WHO CARES ABOUT WHAT THIS MAN SAYS?? :D

Agree.
Well, I must say that Peñafiel HASN'T changed his opinion about Letizia.

I see him almost every day in a Spanish TV program and I can say that he continues criticizing Letizia.

It is obvious that Peñafiel doesn’t like Letizia.

He said that the best of Letizia was her personality but also he said that her personality could also be the worst thing in her. (?)

Many people in Spain say that Peñafiel is more quiet lately because he could receive a notice of the Royal House when he spoke about the supposed infertility treatment , so...

Anyhow here the press don’t dare to speak badly about the Spanish Royal Family, and I believe that Peñafiel is in the right to do it, Elsa, you say "WHO CARES ABOUT WHAT THIS MAN SAYS??". Well, this man is the Spanish journalist who more knows about Royals. I know that in this forum many people love Letizia but Peñafiel has been a journalist for many years and yes, he sometimes says very rude things about Letizia, but there are many people in Spain that are agree with him.

I don't want to defend him, because I don't agree with many things that he have said but, I believe that only for his his career trajectory, we must respect him more.

(I apologize in advance if someone feels offended by this post)

Uppyyyyyyy! The prince is going to speak portuguese in these days. :D

isabella_ said:
I see him almost every day in a Spanish TV program and I can say that he continues criticizing Letizia.

It is obvious that Peñafiel doesn’t like Letizia.

He said that the best of Letizia was her personality but also he said that her personality could also be the worst thing in her. (?)

Many people in Spain say that Peñafiel is more quiet lately because he could receive a notice of the Royal House when he spoke about the supposed infertility treatment , so...

Anyhow here the press don’t dare to speak badly about the Spanish Royal Family, and I believe that Peñafiel is in the right to do it, Elsa, you say "WHO CARES ABOUT WHAT THIS MAN SAYS??". Well, this man is the Spanish journalist who more knows about Royals. I know that in this forum many people love Letizia but Peñafiel has been a journalist for many years and yes, he sometimes says very rude things about Letizia, but there are many people in Spain that are agree with him.

I don't want to defend him, because I don't agree with many things that he have said but, I believe that only for his his career trajectory, we must respect him more.

You certainly haven't offended me isabella_; I thank you for the candor and honesty of your opinon and perspective on how the people of Spain perceive Letizia.

As I don't have access to Spanish-language television, or at least the shows which Jaime is a part of, what has he written about Letizia exactly? And what about her is he so offended by or what about her does he dislike (apparently) so vehemently? (I guess the first question should be whether he is a monarchist or even a Juan Carloist or not; maybe if he doesn't like the monarchy period, Letizia is such an extension of that dislike?)

Did Jaime dislike Letizia before her marriage to Felipe? Merely for professional reasons? Or does he only dislike her because he thinks she is inappropriate for the role of Princess of Asturias.

As a journalist I don't think Jaime should ever lie or make up stories to prove his points. (I think the infertility treatments were never proven; even if the royal court would never confirm such information, there could be others (eg. doctors, nurses) who confirm Letizia's presence at such facilities.) But I do agree that he should have the right to express his feelings (positive, negative or indifferent) about Letizia, who is now a public figure in Spain and for all intents and purposes, serves Spain.

Copyright Imagine 2004/KORPA/MAM 20009
MADRID Spain 22/01/05
PRINCE FELIPE AND PRINCESS LETIZIA VISITED LETIZIA'S FAMILY IN THE MODEST DISTRICT OF VICALVARO IN MADRID.
(I guess any picture is better than none ;) )

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 366
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 286
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 291
isabella_ said:
Not at all! I perfectly understand your points, as I think you also understood mine. ;)

Jaime Penafiel, as far as I know, looks for trouble everywhere, but even though, he still manages to get some kind of authority in the so called pink press. I believe he criticises Letizia so much, because he doesn’t agree with unequal marriages and Letzia comes from a middle class background with divorce references in it.
On the other hand, he’s just carrying on his own tradition of annoying the future queen of Spain… As you well know, our beloved Queen Sofia also used to have problems with him…
Anyway, I really don’t give him any credit at all… The truth is that Penafiel had turned himself much more into a gossip writer, instead of a respected journalist.

Last May, he said Letizia looked sad and, simply because she doesn’t smile with all of her tooth, he felt it was appropriate to compare the bride-to-be Letizia to Queen Victoria Eugenia, who, in his own words, was a very sad queen due to her husband's numerous infidelities… On that occasion he also said that she had to wear 8cm heels, in order to compensate her height-difference towards Felipe. But suddenly, he changed his mind and came with that story of Letizia having alleged infertility problems, due to those high hells she previously had to use…
What's the connection between high heels and conception, anyway??? And even if there was any truth in it, all that made-up story was officially denied not only by the Royal House, but also by the doctors of the involved Hospital… Again, look at their busy working schedule… I mean, it's hard to believe she was receiving fertility treatments, which would certainly require lots of rest…
Almost all his respected news turned out to be false. Just a couple of months ago, for example, he claimed that Letizia went to Caprile's factory and, because of that, the whole street was blocked… in the end, it was not a visit to Caprile, but just an official act of the Princes.

Really, in my humble opinion, this man needs to retire and I’m not the only one who thinks so, but you’re right, Alexandria, when you said he’s on his own right to «express his feelings (positive, negative or indifferent) about Letizia, who is now a public figure in Spain and for all intents and purposes, serves Spain». Similarly, any person is entitled to believe or not in who we want, even if that journalist does «lie or make up stories», as you say… :cool:

Last edited:
Elsa M. said:
Jaime Penafiel, as far as I know, looks for trouble everywhere, but even though, he still manages to get some kind of authority in the so called pink press. I believe he criticises Letizia so much, because he doesn’t agree with unequal marriages and Letzia comes from a middle class background with divorce references in it.

Anyway, I really don’t give him any credit at all… The truth is that Penafiel had turned himself much more into a gossip writer, instead of a respected journalist.

Last May, he said Letizia looked sad and, simply because she doesn’t smile with all of her tooth, he felt it was appropriate to compare the bride-to-be Letizia to Queen Victoria Eugenia, who, in his own words, was a very sad queen due to her husband's numerous infidelities… On that occasion he also said that she had to wear 8cm heels, in order to compensate her height-difference towards Felipe. But suddenly, he changed his mind and came with that story of Letizia having alleged infertility problems, due to those high hells she previously had to use…
What's the connection between high heels and conception, anyway??? And even if there was any truth in it, all that made-up story was officially denied not only by the Royal House, but also by the doctors of the involved Hospital… Again, look at their busy working schedule… I mean, it's hard to believe she was receiving fertility treatments, which would certainly require lots of rest…
Almost all his respected news turned out to be false. Just a couple of months ago, for example, he claimed that Letizia went to Caprile's factory and, because of that, the whole street was blocked… in the end, it was not a visit to Caprile, but just an official act of the Princes.

Really, in my humble opinion, this man needs to retire and I’m not the only one who thinks so, but you’re right, Alexandria, when you said he’s on his own right to «express his feelings (positive, negative or indifferent) about Letizia, who is now a public figure in Spain and for all intents and purposes, serves Spain». Similarly, any person is entitled to believe or not in who we want, even if that journalist does «lie or make up stories», as you say… :cool:
Thank you very much Elsa for your very thorough explanation of who Jamie is and about his dislike for Letizia.

Was he the one who also broke the news of Felipe and Letizia's relationship?

Not having read anything Jamie has written, but from what I have read around here posted by you, lucys, isabella_ and others, he seems to be writing and spinning his stories in a circle? Would that be an accurate statement of his stories? For example, the 8 cm heels to compensate for the height difference turned into wearing them as the result of her fertility problems?

I know that whatever your views there are always at least a small audience or sector of a society that agrees with you. Jamie obviously has his audience who share his views about unequal marriages, etc., and obviously some people will always believe what he writes while others will be skeptical. But (and not just because I like Letizia) anyone with half a brain could see that some of his stories are ridiculous right? Like a correlation between high heels and infertility or that Letizia was seeking fertility treatments -- as Elsa pointed out, with their schedule when did she have the time unless they were being done on the airplanes and in the cars as she was going from one official duty to another.

Elsa M. said:
On the other hand, he’s just carrying on his own tradition of annoying the future queen of Spain… As you well know, our beloved Queen Sofia also used to have problems with him…

So, obviously he's been a working journalist in Spain for a very long time. What was his gripe with Sofia? If he's against unequal marriages (which I can at least understand if not agree with, as in the case of Letizia and Felipe) wouldn't have the marriage of a young Juan Carlos to a Princess of Greece have been considered a good match? So that we don't go off topic ;) perhaps we could discuss Jamie and Sofia in the Juan Carlos and Sofia thread? Link:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=168259#post168259

lucys said:
According to EuropaPress, Felipe and Letizia will be in Sao Paulo, Brazil on Feb 24 and 25 to attend a conference on development of small and medium businesses in the Hispanic World.

Tomorrow they are in Zaragoza.

Oh darn, why not in Rio.... oh well, at least it's a visit to Brazil:)

lucys said:
(By the way, the pregnancy rumors continue--she's said to be about 2 months along according to some.)

And cross an ocean by plane? I don't think so.....

Anna_R said:
Oh darn, why not in Rio.... oh well, at least it's a visit to Brazil:)

And cross an ocean by plane? I don't think so.....

They don't allow you to travel after 28 weeks. If she's 2 months (8 weeks) she can still fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom