The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Aristocracy

I'm very surprised Letizia doesn't seem unhappy in some official acts. She was known for being a very good journalist, that liked to work, was very independent, etc.

Seeing her in acts now must mean that she has really adjusted to her new "position" and that she has definately left behind her needs as a journalist.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Courtier

The protocol of the Spanish Royal house is very clear. The senior royal ALWAYS speaks and ALWAYS takes the lead. If the King and Queen go together, the King always speaks. If the Infantas do any activity with their husbands, they always are the lead figure. It's the same with Felipe and Letizia--he's the senior royal. And remember, most acts Felipe and Letizia do are not just the photographed acts, but involve receptions and such that are NOT photographed and where she is (according to the articles I have read) just as proactive as he is. As to why she does not do acts alone, I suspect it is a combination of two factors: 1.) they like to do acts together (that's obvious) and 2.) after working so hard to get Felipe out of the shadow of his father, the last thing they want is for him to be in the shadow of his wife. I have no doubt--and reports in serious news magazines have said this--that behind the scenes she is a fully equal partner -- in fact, her critics say she is too involved behind the scenes... she can't win, it would seem ...

In any case, here are some photos from Getty Images (Carlos Alvarez):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71062746.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	245592   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062747.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	245593   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062748.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	245594   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062749.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	245595  

Name:	71062750.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	245596   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062751.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	245597   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062752.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	245598   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062753.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	245599  

Name:	71062755.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	245600   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062797.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	245601  

Old 05-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Courtier

More from Getty Images
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71062802.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	245602   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062805.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	245603   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062811.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	245604   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062812.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	245605  

Name:	71062826.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	245606   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062857.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	245607   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062861.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	245608   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062864.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	245609  

Name:	71062865.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	245610   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062866.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	245611  
Old 05-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Courtier

And still more from Getty Images:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71062867.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	245622   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062868.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	245623   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062870.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	245624   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062871.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	245625  

Name:	71062872.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	245626   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062873.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	245627   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062874.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	245628   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062906.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	245630  

Name:	71062907.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	245631  
Old 05-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Courtier

And just a few more from Getty Images:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71062908.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	245632   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062909.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	245633   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062912.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	245634   Click image for larger version

Name:	71062915.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	245635  

Old 05-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is no need to be out infront of a crowd. My guess is that Letizia is a much more involved partner and has much more influence over hers and Felipe's activities than some of the other crown princesses do over theirs. Doing events on ones own does not prove anything. Both Felipe and Letizia are hardworking and very bright people, they know what they need to do and how to do it best. We don't need another fashion doll cutting ribbons.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Courtier

wow - what a beautiful dress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! letizia, who i thought i had all figured out, has shocked me. she looks lovely!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
My guess is that Letizia is a much more involved partner and has much more influence over hers and Felipe's activities than some of the other crown princesses do over theirs.
I recently read on opinion piece on Diario Critico (no longer posted) in which the writer was discussing many different things about contemporary Spanish politics. He discusses the visits the Prince and Princess are making to the large municipalities of Madrid --municipalities which traditionally were "red" or "republican" Madrid -- and discusses how important it is that they are visiting these cities, and getting such a warm reception, and how important it is to get the future King in front of people and communities the Crown doesn't generally visit and he states that he believes that the responsibility for these very smart visits is Letizia's -- saying it's her sharp journalist's instincts at work. So he apparently would agree with your comment.

In any case, as I have said many times, these two, as a pair, I find so interesting, that I personally would be disappointed if they stopped doing their public acts together.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucys
In any case, as I have said many times, these two, as a pair, I find so interesting, that I personally would be disappointed if they stopped doing their public acts together.

I agree with you .I always have thought that.and i prefer to see them both together.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I have no doubt--and reports in serious news magazines have said this--that behind the scenes she is a fully equal partner -- in fact, her critics say she is too involved behind the scenes... she can't win, it would seem ...
I have never thought for a second that Letizia wasn't an equal partner to Felipe. I have always seen them as equals in their roles as Prince and Princess of Asturias. That she doesn't perform her own duties doesn't make her any less of a princess or a subordinate to her husband or a shadow of his. I have always believed that they determine their schedule together and work as a team.

I also don't doubt that when she does perform duties on her own that she'll do very well and succeed then, too.

Also unlike many people, I don't find it a major issue that she doesn't perform duties on her own yet. I don't think it makes her lesser of a princess to Spain or in comparison to any other princess. Could she go on duties of her own now? I'm sure she could. But what's the point of her going on a duty of her own to sit in the front row of a fashion show or to christen some rose named after her?

This couple has always been more about substance than any superficial quality. As a team, as a unit, they attend events that matter to Spain on a social, economic, cultural and even political level. As a team they attend events that aren't trivial or frivolous like receiving elaborate gifts for their daughter or other such frivolous acts. I think together they do a lot for Spain so why try to break that up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
There is no need to be out infront of a crowd. My guess is that Letizia is a much more involved partner and has much more influence over hers and Felipe's activities than some of the other crown princesses do over theirs. Doing events on ones own does not prove anything. Both Felipe and Letizia are hardworking and very bright people, they know what they need to do and how to do it best. We don't need another fashion doll cutting ribbons.
I couldn't agree with you more grevinnan. One of the things that really sets this couple apart is how hard they work and the significance of the events they attend within Spain and abroad.

We really don't need another cut out fashion princess cutting ribbons for a new hospital or to christen a boat or receive a train. We have in Letizia someone who is intelligent and who isn't shy to use her brains and her experience in her role as princess.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
I couldn't agree with you more grevinnan. One of the things that really sets this couple apart is how hard they work and the significance of the events they attend within Spain and abroad.

We really don't need another cut out fashion princess cutting ribbons for a new hospital or to christen a boat or receive a train. We have in Letizia someone who is intelligent and who isn't shy to use her brains and her experience in her role as princess.
I'm sorry but i'm gonna have to disagree with you, we could speculate about Letizia's role behind the scenes, but the truth is we don't know for sure if she has such control over her own activities. We can only comment on the image that is given to the public eye, and that is the one of a princess who can't even deliver the prices on an act where she is the president of honor! and has hardly speak her mind since she got married.

Don't get me wrong, i adore Letizia and agree that she is a really smart and capable woman, but that is exactly the reason i can't stand watching her being minimize to her husband shadow. Having her own activities doesn't have to interfere with the team she and Felipe form, doesn't Felipe has his own agenda?, why can't leti perform some activities while he is traveling?.

I am pretty sure she has recieve invitations from several organizations that don't imply doing something frivolous like giving name to a rose, if there is a crownprincess who can do a meaningful and important labor with the role that is given to her, that is Letizia!.:)
Old 05-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
As to why she does not do acts alone, I suspect it is a combination of two factors: 1.) they like to do acts together (that's obvious) and 2.) after working so hard to get Felipe out of the shadow of his father, the last thing they want is for him to be in the shadow of his wife. I have no doubt--and reports in serious news magazines have said this--that behind the scenes she is a fully equal partner -- in fact, her critics say she is too involved behind the scenes... she can't win, it would seem ...
I totally agree.If Letizia is allowed to do acts alone,she would have certainly overshadowed Felipe.then, we could have another Charles/Diana tragedy.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Nobility

Beautiful dress... and more beatuful Letizia... I was hoppins she delivered al least the prizes
Old 05-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Courtier

Who's the woman with red hair? Does she think she's 16?
Old 05-27-2006, 12:30 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

Thanks 4 the pictures Lucys they're great!!
I LOVE LETIZIA'S DRESS!!!
You just can't hide loveee.. they are meant 4 each other!!
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...3&d=1148686451
They both look awesome in these 2 pics .. love them!
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1148686564
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1148686564
Old 05-27-2006, 01:23 AM
Nobility

question: how popular was Prince Felipe before he married Letizia? Is he well respected and liked?

On the matter of Letizia not doing any public duty without her husband performing all the acts, I could be wrong but my guess is that its part of her getting used to the royal duty. I think the plan for both of them is to present a united front and a happy union to the public. I hope to see her taking an active part infront of her husband, because I know Letizia is extremely intelligent and articulate. Its good to see her happy and comfrotable because in the past, she seemed unapprochable and uncomfortable in public events.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:31 AM
Nobility

I don't get what the big deal is....why does it matter that she does duties on her own?together, Felipe and Letizia work hard and are acheiving a lot. I see this and introducing her to the REAL world of royalty where she can be truly useful. Together they are unstoppable, and I'm sure neither of them would want anything less.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie
I'm sorry but i'm gonna have to disagree with you, we could speculate about Letizia's role behind the scenes, but the truth is we don't know for sure if she has such control over her own activities. We can only comment on the image that is given to the public eye, and that is the one of a princess who can't even deliver the prices on an act where she is the president of honor! and has hardly speak her mind since she got married.

Don't get me wrong, i adore Letizia and agree that she is a really smart and capable woman, but that is exactly the reason i can't stand watching her being minimize to her husband shadow. Having her own activities doesn't have to interfere with the team she and Felipe form, doesn't Felipe has his own agenda?, why can't leti perform some activities while he is traveling?.

I am pretty sure she has recieve invitations from several organizations that don't imply doing something frivolous like giving name to a rose, if there is a crownprincess who can do a meaningful and important labor with the role that is given to her, that is Letizia!.:)
Perfectly said, I completely agree with everything you said:) and why is it always that when people talke about Letizia doing something alone there comes the fashionshows and roses, I find it insulting to all the other women where the courts trust is them to do things alone (Maixma and Camilla has NEVER attend a fashionshow, and Camilla was not exaclty leading the popularity barometer but she got out there on her own), and for goodness sakes the others do not only attend fashionshows, they are invlolved in many different topics, a very, very small minority beeing fashionshows. This situation is getting a little out of control when Letizia cant even attend a dinner with her in laws when her husband is out of the country, or recieve a ham alone, never give a speech and not even unveil a plaque.

Quote:
You would be disapointed if the Princess gets to open her mouth on duties to give a speech or show herslef as an independant woman. Quite frankly Im severly diapointed in Felipe that he does not stand up to whoever decides this. He wanted to be modern a marry a non royal, when then he can put some weight on the people in charge and get his wife some independance and dont threat her like a trophy wife who is only on work to draw attention to him, the man, or who sits at home when he has his independant duties. This might not be how it is but it is how it appears.

BTW the Princess looks great theese days now that she is out of her shoulderpadded jackets and in to soft dresses, very flattering on her
foto by Carlos Picasso
Old 05-27-2006, 05:14 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetcher
Who's the woman with red hair? Does she think she's 16?
She's rosa María Calaf, tve's correspondent in Far East. Letizia's ex-colleague
Old 05-27-2006, 06:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The protocol of the Spanish Royal house is very clear. The senior royal ALWAYS speaks and ALWAYS takes the lead. If the King and Queen go together, the King always speaks. If the Infantas do any activity with their husbands, they always are the lead figure. It's the same with Felipe and Letizia--he's the senior royal. And remember, most acts Felipe and Letizia do are not just the photographed acts, but involve receptions and such that are NOT photographed and where she is (according to the articles I have read) just as proactive as he is. As to why she does not do acts alone, I suspect it is a combination of two factors: 1.) they like to do acts together (that's obvious) and 2.) after working so hard to get Felipe out of the shadow of his father, the last thing they want is for him to be in the shadow of his wife. I have no doubt--and reports in serious news magazines have said this--that behind the scenes she is a fully equal partner -- in fact, her critics say she is too involved behind the scenes... she can't win, it would seem ...

In any case, here are some photos from Getty Images (Carlos Alvarez):

Very intelligent analysis and I quiet agree because the Princess give a so good appearence in this time and for this specific act to say the opposite.

For my part, I think that the situation will becoming a little be risquy for Felipe if he give the feeling that he fear the Letizia'aura.It will be necessary to find a better compromis then the" be beautifull and be quiet !"