King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, Current Events Part 4: June - July 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose that are going to eat the typical caldeirada in "Furnas"

Two more pics from Terra.

Attachments

• 71f9a5f1ec806g.jpg
    71f9a5f1ec806g.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 71f9a5f1e797eg.jpg
    71f9a5f1e797eg.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 214
Rchainho the typical plate is "Cozido das Furnas". I supose you could cook caldeirada in the same way but the typical is "cozido". And it takes meat instead of fish.:)

Regards.

My mistake. I knew that was a Cozido of a different taste.

http://www.da.online.pt/news.php?id=87929&w=juan%20carlos

César interrupts vacation for receive the kings of Spain

Regional Newspaper of the Azores 27/07/2005 09:07:9
The president of the Regional Government of the Azores, Carlos César, interrupted the vacation in the outside of the Region for be us Azores during the visit of the kings of Spain, between today and Friday. Carlos César goes today, in the island Third, give the coming boas to the king D. Juan Carlos and to the queen Sofia, that will be accompanied in all it visits by the President of the Republic, Jorge Sampaio, whose left the invitation for this private dislocation. In Thin Tip, tomorrow, Thursday, the kings of Spain will be obsequiados by the President of the Regional Government and lady with a supper in his honor, before of which will receive the fulfillments of the main regional authorities. In the occasion, the leader of the Azorean executive is going to offer to the kings of Spain, as remembrance of the passage by the Azores, a screen of him recognized Azorean painter Tomaz Borba Vieira, intitulada ‘Fish Tail Women and Dog Face Men I SAW' and a catalogue with the work ‘Bicéfalos', also of Tomaz Borba Vieira. The queen Sofia will receive of Luísa César a Chorus of the Divine Holy Spirit, in silver. ‘Fish Tail women and Dog Face Men I SAW' is an acrylic about screen with 1490x1025 millimeters, having been painted by Tomaz Borba Vieira in 1991, and that already was part of diverse expositions of the author in the Azores and in the Continent. During the supper in honor of the kings Juan Carlos and Sofia, of Spain, will have diverse moments musicals, of music classical with Irina Semionova (piano) and Yuri Pankiv (flute); António Manuel Frazão (piano), with Standart' s; Chris Alexander (piano), William of the Birth (guitar classical) and Bjorn (contrabaixo), with arrangements jazzísticos about music popular Azorean; Coffee Concert, with Carlos Frazão (piano), Lídia Medeiros (violin), João Files (flute), Mike Ross (contrabaixo) and Farmings and Filipa Parents (voices) and Afro-Latin Jazz with Paulo Vicente (piano), Emanuel Bettencourt (battery), Alfredo Molina (percussion), Pedro Axe (short), Joe Barani (trumpet) and Michael Smith (sax high).

The king speaks very well portuguese but i don't know if the queen speaks it. ???

rchainho said:
The king speaks very well portuguese but i don't know if the queen speaks it. ???

The Queen speaks Spanish, English, French, German, Greek .. but not if Portuguese speaks. How well you say both the King and his sisters they speak it, but not if the Queen will have learned something of them.

From Terra:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 298
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 212
lula said:
The Queen speaks Spanish, English, French, German, Greek .. but not if Portuguese speaks. How well you say both the King and his sisters they speak it, but not if the Queen will have learned something of them.

The Queen speaks six languages... Queen Sofia speaks Spanish, English, French, German, Greek and Italian, i read somewhere that the Queen also speaks portuguese but i'm not sure about that!!! :p

Thank you for the pics.

I love specially the second one that Lula posted: kind and sweet gesture of King Juan Carlos.
Somebody said in the Summer 2005 Thread that the King and the Queen never looked better. Couldn't be more agree.;)

A few more pics from Terra.

Attachments

• 71f9a5f68509ag.jpg
    71f9a5f68509ag.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 196
  • 71f9a5f606cffg.jpg
    71f9a5f606cffg.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 268
  • 71f9a5f60fcc6g.jpg
    71f9a5f60fcc6g.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 245
  • 71f9a5f6dd5b6g.jpg
    71f9a5f6dd5b6g.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 161
These have already been posted but I found them without the watermark so thought I would post through image shack. Pics from Yahoo News.

Isabella said:
I love specially the second one that Lula posted: kind and sweet gesture of King Juan Carlos.
Somebody said in the Summer 2005 Thread that the King and the Queen never looked better. Couldn't be more agree.;)

I agree... gosh, he's such a gentleman... helping his wife from the plane..:)

Last edited:
From terra:

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 178
...JuAnItA... said:
The Queen speaks six languages... Queen Sofia speaks Spanish, English, French, German, Greek and Italian, i read somewhere that the Queen also speaks portuguese but i'm not sure about that!!! :p
She lived some years in Estoril with Juan Carlos and the rest of the spanish royal family.

http://www.correiomanha.pt/noticia.asp?id=168405&idCanal=133

Kings of Spain in the Azores

The kings of Spain arrived yesterday to the 12h55 local (13h55 of Lisbon) to the air base of the stone Slabs for a visit of private character of three days to the Azores, to invitation of the President of the Republic, Jorge Sampaio.
The king Juan Carlos and the queen Sofia, that arrived to the island Third in a plane of the Spanish Air Force, were received by Jorge Sampaio and Maria Joe Ritta, that had landed in the military base around sock hour before.
In the arrival of the Spanish monarchs were, still, the minister of the Republic for the Azores, little Work Lúcio, the presidents of the Assembleia Legislative Regional, Fernando Meneses, and Regional Government, Carlos César, as well as other military and civil authorities.
The private visit of the kings of Spain to the archipelago arises in the sequência of the invitation formulated by the President of the Republic, that is going to accompany the monarchs during the dislocation to four of the nine islands of the region.
After the private lunch in the Solar one of the Madre of God, in Cove of the Heroism, the king Juan Carlos and the queen Sofia visited the center of the city Património World and watched to a bullfight to the cord.
Today, the monarchs dislocate itself to the island of the Faial, following of boat for the Peak, being the night reserved for a supper in his honor offered by the president of the Regional Government of the Azores, Carlos César (PS), in the palace of Sant´Ana, in Saint Miguel.
The last day of the visit is going to be filled in the biggest island of the Azores, Saint Miguel, to which is going to be fly over of helicopter, being still visited to freguesia of the Furnas, one of the main tourist points of the region.

http://www.da.online.pt/news.php?id=87972&w=reis

Kings of Spain have dinner in Sant' Ana
Newspaper of the Azores 28/07/2005

The Kings of Spain initiate yesterday a private visit of three days to the Azores, to invitation of the President of the Republic, Jorge Sampaio, that accompanies the monarchs in the dislocation to four of the nine islands of the archipelago. The King Juan Carlos and the Queen Sofia arrived to the island Third in a plane of the Spanish Air Force and were received by Jorge Sampaio and Maria Joe Ritta, that had landed in the military base around sock hour before. In the arrival of the Spanish monarchs were, still, the minister of the Republic for the Azores, little Work Lúcio, and the Presidents of the Assembleia Legislative Regional, Fernando Meneses, and of the Regional Government, Carlos César, as well as other military and civil authorities. After the private lunch in the Solar one of the Madre of God, in Cove of the Heroism, the King Juan Carlos and the Queen Sofia visited the center of the city Património World and watched, to the end of the late, to a bullfight to the cord. Today, Thursday, the monarchs dislocate itself to the island of the Faial, where go to visit the coffee Peter' s, in the city of the Garden, world famous by be a point of meeting between navigators of everybody that cross the Atlantic ocean. Afterwards they follow of boat for the Peak, being the night reserved for a supper in their honor offered by the President of the Regional Government of the Azores, in the Palace of Sant' Ana, in Saint Miguel, in that will be presents 300 invited. The leader of the Executive will do still the offering of a screen of the Azorean painter Tomaz Borba Vieira intitulada Fish Tail Women and Dog Face Men I SAW and a catalogue with the work Bicéfalos, also of the same author. Wives THE chart is an acrylic about screen with 1490x1025 millimeters, having been painted in 1991, and that already was part of diverse expositions of the author in the Azores and in the Continent. The Queen Sofia will receive of Luísa César a Chorus of the Divine Holy Spirit, in silver. The last day of the visit is going to be filled in the biggest island of the Azores, that go fly over of helicopter, dislocating itself, still, to the freguesia of Furnas, one of the main tourist points of the Region. The King of Spain already had manifested interest in dislocate itself to the Azores, the only point of the national territory that still did not know, having accept the invitation formulated by the President of the Republic. The King Juan Carlos I (Juan Carlos Alfonso Víctor María of Borbón and Borbón) was born to 5 of Rio de janeiro of 1938. His grandmother Afonso XIII was a King of the Spain until 1931, when was deposed by the Monday Spanish Republic. The Republic put an end the dictatorship of Francisco Frank, that governed to the to his death, to 20 of November of 1975. In 22 of November of the same year, Juan Carlos was assigned King of the Spain. From 1976, the King favored to democratização of the regimen. In February of 1981, military led by the colonel Tejero Molina take of assault the Parliament and are going to do a coup d'etat. To firm action of the King Juan Carlos I and the opposition of the civil society did the strike fracassar. Don Juan Carlos also maintain the title of King of Jerusalém, as the successor of the real family of Nápoles.

Attachments

• 6_1_1122541520capa-28-07-05.jpg
    6_1_1122541520capa-28-07-05.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 152
http://www.jornaldiario.com/noticias/noticia_quotidiano.php?id=6158

Kings of Spain watched the bullfight to the cord

The kings of Spain initiated to his visit to the Azores in the Third, the island that more resistance offered to the occupation castellhana of 1580.
After it will have watched yesterday, in the freguesia of S. Blessed, in Cove of the Heroism, to a traditional bullfight to the cord, the kings of Spain continue today, Wednesday, to his visit of three of vacation to the Azores, in the which are accompanied by the President of the Republic, Jorge Sampaio. Yesterday, in Cove of the Heroism, after had lunch in the Solar one of the Madre of God (official residence of the Minister of the Republic) the king Juan Carlos and the queen Sofia gave a short walk on foot by the Street of the Straw, one of the few arteries of the city património world of the Azores closed to the traffic. In this Wednesday the monarchs visit still the known one Peter' s Coffee, in the city of the Garden, following afterwards for the island of the Peak. Today, also, they participate in S. Miguel in a supper of homage offered by the president of the government, Carlos César, that interrupted, on purpose, their vacation, for receive the visitors. Before of it return to Madrid, the real couple will visit the Furnas, one of the most important tourist scripts of the island of S. Miguel.

28-07-2005 07:59

Attachments

• 1122541313.jpg
    1122541313.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 133
Rchainho, you posted a few wrong informations:

rchainho said:
The King Juan Carlos I (Juan Carlos Alfonso Víctor María of Borbón and Borbón) was born to 5 of Rio de janeiro of 1938.
Juan Carlos was born on January 5th 1938, not in Brazil as you say, but in Rome, where the Royal Family was living, since the Proclamation of Republic in 1931.

rchainho said:
She lived some years in Estoril with Juan Carlos and the rest of the spanish royal family.

Although, Don Juan Carlos lived his childhood in Portugal (Estoril), where his parents had been living since 1946, he went to Spain at the age of 10 years old to make his studies. As for Sofia, after marrying Juan Carlos in Athens (on May 14th 1962) they went on honeymoon (which lasted five months), and then Prince Juan Carlos and Princess Sofia went to live at La Zarzuela till nowadays...

http://actualidad.terra.es/articulo/html/av2423204.htm

Although the historians do not agree about the origin of the bullfights (as some of them say that they began in the times of the Spanish domination, during the reign of Felipe II, and others assure that its origins are Portuguese), the first bullfight in Angra took place in 1622. Every year, between May and October, numerous touradas à corda are celebrated in the capital of Terceira and in other places of the island, in the streets and with colourful scenes and a rich spectacle of emotions.

The president of Portugal, Jorge Sampaio (who host, along with his wife Maria José Ritta, this first private visit of the Kings to Açores) wanted to show to his Spanish guests how the inhabitants live this celebration in Terceira. For days, the commerce of Angra do Heroismo (Patrimony of the Humankind declared by UNESCO in 1983, three years after being seriously damaged by an earthquake) was exhibiting posters announcing the presence of the Kings at the 'tourada à corda’.

From a adorned balcony, Don Juan Carlos, Doña Sofía and the Sampaios contemplated, in a warm afternoon with the sky full of clouds, how the men of this island face bulls of smaller size than those that grow up in Spain or in continental Portuguese territory, but equally of brave.

Before attending the bullfight, the Kings, Sampaio and his wife had strolled by the historical centre of Angra do Heroismo, by streets flanked by houses of colonial taste, with facades painted in showy colours. The retinue took place at the Rua da Palha, where a plate hang on a facade remembers that the maternal family of the poet Fernando Pessoa lived there, and which ends, like the rest of the streets, in the sea, at the Porto de Pipas, protected by Monte of Brazil, an old volcano surrounded by a wall constructed during the reign of Felipe II. For centuries, this port had vital importance in the commercial routes with the Western Indias for the Spanish galleons, coming from Cartagena de Indias, and after crossing the Atlantic, way to Seville and Cadiz, carring gold, silver and other treasures of the New World. The port of Angra do Heroismo, now inhabited by 36000 inhabitants, was also saturated during centuries with the Portuguese ships that travelled to Lisbon, coming from Ceylon, Guinea, Japan, China and Malaysia, and that used to land in Açores, to repair or to protect themselves from the pirates.

In a while of the stroll, the four seated in the terrace of a coffee and, after minutes of chat, they visited the church-convent of São Gonçalo, the first that was constructed in Angra, in 1545, in where they contemplated its rich tile decoration and its facade painted in blue. After having lunch together, and before the stroll, the retinue raised the place in which there was the first castle of the city, São Luís, and where today there is an obelisk, constructed between 1845 and 1855, and which remembers the stay in Terceira of King Don Pedro IV, defender of the liberal cause during the constitutional fights.

Last edited:
Thank you everybody for the great pictures! The King and Queen looked very relaxed and enjoying the company of their Portuguese hosts.

I love this picture http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=173904 because the two couples seem like any other two couples enjoying a leisurely afternoon drink together! If you didn't know better you would never have guessed that it's the King and Queen of Spain and the President of Portugal and his wife!

And I love how obviously affectionate and friendly and warm Juan Carlos and Sofia are with everyone (such as Sofia earlier this year with Lalla Salma).

The King accompanying Maria by the arm here: http://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?image=r11180018516ih.jpg.

And the Queen laughing with Maria here: http://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?image=r8994088467gg.jpg.

Elsa M. said:
Rchainho, you posted a few wrong informations:

Juan Carlos was born on January 5th 1938, not in Brazil as you say, but in Rome, where the Royal Family was living, since the Proclamation of Republic in 1931.

Although, Don Juan Carlos lived his childhood in Portugal (Estoril), where his parents had been living since 1946, he went to Spain at the age of 10 years old to make his studies. As for Sofia, after marrying Juan Carlos in Athens (on May 14th 1962) they went on honeymoon (which lasted five months), and then Prince Juan Carlos and Princess Sofia went to live at La Zarzuela till nowadays...

The information about Juan Carlos I it was from a journal and the matter about Estoril it was through a book that i'm reading now "golpe a golpe".

Since they were explaining badly in this book. Elsa has reason the Queen Sofia never lived permanently in Estoril, they could spend seasons there, but to the return of the honeymoon they established themselves in the Zarzuela, it is more, one of the reasons of the long honeymoon is that they did not know where they were going to live to the return. So the King was not even living in Estoril from child, since he realized his studies in Spain.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited by a moderator:
From Terra:

Attachments

• 71f9a65020780g.jpg
    71f9a65020780g.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 71f9a64fb028eg.jpg
    71f9a64fb028eg.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 71f9a64fab464g.jpg
    71f9a64fab464g.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 71f9a64fa3d9dg.jpg
    71f9a64fa3d9dg.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 71f9a64fa663fg.jpg
    71f9a64fa663fg.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 191
Another pic from yesterday. Reuters via Yahoo News.

Attachments

• r1641076500.jpg
    r1641076500.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 792
The remaining photos from yesterday, pointed by Rchainho.

From Starface:

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 175
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 245
thanks lula for the photos. Good ones. Why the queen uses lots of jewlery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom