King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, Current Events Part 4: June - July 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Getty. Another pic from Tuesday.

Attachments

• 53197000.jpg
    53197000.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 194
Yet another picture of Her Majesty in Singapore.

Attachments

• 1120217467787w.jpg
    1120217467787w.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
rchainho said:
a funny pic from juan carlos in his motobike in barcelona.

I don't think that's Juan Carlos, it's Inaki his son-in law....:) :)

Has anyone seen the election for Olympic Games 2012?
To bad that Madrid îs out of the race! The speech of Sofia was so emotional and I really like the last part of her speech in which she spoke in so many languages! For me Spain is the "Winner of the hearts;-)" because everyone think that the applyment was the best of all!

Queen Sofia's speech before the IOC:
http://www.casareal.es/casareal/coi04di.html

Singapore, July 6th, 2005

[font=Verdana,Arial]

Señor Presidente y miembros del Comité Olímpico Internacional,

Hoy es un día pleno de satisfacciones para mí. En primer lugar, porque es un honor presidir la delegación de Madrid 2012.

But also because I have the opportunity to do so here today, with the members of the Olympic Family. I have always felt part of it.

For those of you who saw me enjoying the celebrations in Athens a year ago, at the 2004 Olympic Games, it will come as no surprise that I now stand before you at this presentation. It is a wonderful occasion, when I feel I may address you as a friend.

This is a very special moment for me and for the Spanish Royal Family, when two very intense feelings come together: on one side, our pride in the excellent work done by Madrid, and on the other, our confidence that you will appreciate it and give it your support.

As you know, the Olympic spirit has been with my Family for years, and it has encouraged us to participate in many Games.

I myself had the honour of being in Naples as reserve crew to the boat skippered by my brother King Constantine during the Rome Olympic Games when he won the Gold Medal sailing in the dragon class.

My husband King Juan Carlos took part, sailing in the dragon class in Kiel during the Munich Olympic Games.

My daughter Cristina took part as reserve crew in the 470 class in Pusan during the Seoul Olympic Games.

My son Felipe sailed in the Soling class in Barcelona obtaining a diploma, and my son-in-law Iñaki Urdangarín competed in Barcelona, Atlanta and Sydney, winning two bronze medals for handball, one in each of the last two cities.

I have seen the projects of the five Bid cities. All of them have done a very good job, and I am certain that the future of Olympism is on solid ground and full of hope. The whole Spanish Royal Family is convinced that Madrid’s proposals fulfil the conditions to offer the world the best Olympic Games.

The Spanish Bid has met with unanimous political and social backing. My country can offer its proven experience in staging numerous sports and cultural events. Above all, Madrid 2012 has the wholehearted support of the people of Spain, a further guarantee of success.

Finally, I wish to express my warmest regards and to thank you from the bottom of my heart for considering our Bid. We look forward to seeing you in Madrid.

Zuletzt möchte Ich Ihnen noch meine herzlichsten Grüsse übermitteln, und mich bei Ihnen sehr herzlich bedanken. Wir erwarten Sie in Madrid!

TELEIWNONTAS QA HQELA NA SAS DIABIBASW TOUS FILIKOUS MOU CAIRETISMOUS KAI NA SAS EUCARISTHSW EK BAQOUS KARDIAS GIA OLA. SAS PERIMENOUME STH MADRITH.

Finalement, avec mes meilleurs vœux, je vous remercie de votre attention. Nous vous attendons à Madrid.

Quiero, finalmente, transmitiros un saludo muy afectuoso y daros las gracias de todo corazón. Os esperamos en Madrid.

[/font]

Attachments

• coi04g.jpg
    coi04g.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Some pics of Queen Sofia during today's presentation. I wanted either New York or Madrid to win because I like when the host it somewhere it's never been before and London hosted it in the 1940s. But congrats to London!!

From GettyImages:

Attachments

• 53201543.jpg
    53201543.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 53201549.jpg
    53201549.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 53201634.jpg
    53201634.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 53201649.jpg
    53201649.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 621
  • 53201650.jpg
    53201650.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 263
Last edited by a moderator:
Even though Madrid is not going to be host to the 2012 Olympics, I think Her Majesty did a great work to support Madrid's candidacy.

I really liked that she closed Her speech with phrases in several languages. I watched the video of Her presentation, I had never heard Her speakign other language than Spanish and all I can say is that She speaks English and French perfectly, I can't tell that of her German and Greek because I can't speak those languages :D

Other thing I'd like to add is that the Queen has looked fantastic during these days in Singapore, I think she never looked so good before! She has chosen the most perfect outfits, fit for a Queen...

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
From elmundo.es The first pic is of the King and Queen at the '92 games.

Attachments

• tres.jpg
    tres.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 161
  • bcn.jpg
    bcn.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 296
Thanks for the pictures and the video of the presentation!

My favorite city was Paris. Because of Barcelona 1992 I thought that Spain won't get the Games to Madrid, altough it's one of my favorite cities.
But the whole SRF did a great support for the Olympics, really good.

zarzuela said:
Even though Madrid is not going to be host to the 2012 Olympics, I think Her Majesty did a great work to support Madrid's candidacy.

I really liked that she closed Her speech with phrases in several languages. I watched the video of Her presentation, I had never heard Her speakign other language than Spanish and all I can say is that She speaks English and French perfectly, I can't tell that of her German and Greek because I can't speak those languages :D

Other thing I'd like to add is that the Queen has looked fantastic during these days in Singapore, I think she never looked so good before! She has chosen the most perfect outfits, fit for a Queen...

Her German was really good too:)

Last edited:
Is there anywhere where we can see the Queen give her entire speech?

Well, I have to say that I'm a bit sad, as all the spanish people, because the Olympics Games of 2012 won't finally take place in Madrid, but, at the same time I'm very happy for London, congratulations for all the british people :) .

And I also want to congratulate our Queen Sofía, because she has made a very very wonderful work those days in Singapure.
What a great Queen we have!:D

Btw, thanks for all the pics and information of all this "olympic race". ;)

(Sorry for my English)

From Yahoo

Last edited:
Juan Carlos today. Pic from casareal.es

Attachments

• despaar01g.jpg
    despaar01g.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 196
Someone has videos or photos of the arrival of Queen Sofia at Madrid?

Sorry my bad english :p

from casareal.es

Su Majestad el Rey ha recibido al Comité Científico que, presidido por el profesor Enrique Fuentes Quintana, ha elaborado la obra "Economía y Economistas Españoles". Don Juan Carlos conoció el trabajo en el que se aborda la realidad económica, y cuyo resultado es analizar la capacidad de respuesta y el entusiasmo con lo que los economistas españoles intentaron contestar de forma correcta a tales problemas, siempre con la meta de colaborar al crecimiento y desarrollo económico, y a mejorar la situación del conjunto de la sociedad española.
(Palacio de La Zarzuela. Madrid, 7 de julio de 2005)

Attachments

• econo10g.jpg
    econo10g.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 224
Queen Sofia of Spain (C) observes a minute of silence in memory of London's bombs blasts during the Ibero American Meeting on the Rights of Indigenous Children and Adolescents in Madrid, 08 July 2005.

From GettyImages

Last edited:
More photos, from Terra:

Attachments

• 71f99ed93e9aag.jpg
    71f99ed93e9aag.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 221
  • 71f99ed939b86g.jpg
    71f99ed939b86g.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 71f99ed9437cdg.jpg
    71f99ed9437cdg.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 203
Could somebody please post a link of Queen Sofia's presentation because I can't seem to access the antena one or the one from the Spanish website

Thank you very much for the link, Ana! ;)

HM Queen Sofia and Inaki Urdangarin in Singapore

Hi,

Here apictures I took of The Queen in Singapore last week.

Attachments

• 1queensofia.jpg
    1queensofia.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:
There are some photos of the welcome of the Kings to the Colombian President in Terra, but I am useless and I not to be placed here

Here they are, Lula ;) KJC and QS receive this morning the Colombian president and his wife at the Palace of El Pardo.
From Terra:

Attachments

• 71f99ff68f95cg.jpg
    71f99ff68f95cg.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 71f99ff5a2983g.jpg
    71f99ff5a2983g.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 71f99ff616915g.jpg
    71f99ff616915g.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 71f99ff618022g.jpg