King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, Current Events Part 21: May 2011 - April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always had great time for Juan Carlos but this continued rudeness to Sofia is appalling. :ohmy:

I was astonished to see a mentioning of Juan Carlos "supposed" infidelity on the RJWMB....
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: The new owner of the countess of romanones emeralds
...as normally they do not tend to bother with gossip.

Is this just rumors as it is ongoing for years or is this something which is considered as known fact in Spain - just people do not talk about it. I am sorry for this rather blunt question - do not want to embarass anybody or be disrespectful.

I was astonished to see a mentioning of Juan Carlos "supposed" infidelity on the RJWMB....
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: The new owner of the countess of romanones emeralds
...as normally they do not tend to bother with gossip.

Is this just rumors as it is ongoing for years or is this something which is considered as known fact in Spain - just people do not talk about it. I am sorry for this rather blunt question - do not want to embarass anybody or be disrespectful.

It's accepted as fact. Juan Carlos and Sofia are apparently only together for appearance's sake now. They have supposedly not slept in the same bed for many years. From what I've seen Juan Carlos has never worked particularly hard to hide his indiscretions from his wife or the general public.

It's ironic because every tiny aspect of Charles and Diana's respective affairs have been reported at length in the press all over the world. Juan Carlos has been fortunate that the Spanish press have chosen never to delve into it.

It's ironic because every tiny aspect of Charles and Diana's respective affairs have been reported at length in the press all over the world. Juan Carlos has been fortunate that the Spanish press have chosen never to delve into it.

Well, its about to change, JC is not above everything anymore, in recent years the press have started to talk, there are books about this topic etc.

The difference to Charles & Diana is the respect that Juan Carlos earned by his service to his country: bringing democracy to Spain. There are similar rumours about the marriage of QEII & Prince Philipp (they do not sleep in the same bed since at least 1982 when the indruder made it into QEII's bedroom), yet the press have never picked up on the topic, certainly out of respect towards the life achievement of Queen & Duke.

Well, its about to change, JC is not above everything anymore, in recent years the press have started to talk, there are books about this topic etc.

The difference to Charles & Diana is the respect that Juan Carlos earned by his service to his country: bringing democracy to Spain. There are similar rumours about the marriage of QEII & Prince Philipp (they do not sleep in the same bed since at least 1982 when the indruder made it into QEII's bedroom), yet the press have never picked up on the topic, certainly out of respect towards the life achievement of Queen & Duke.

Married couples in the upper class of British society often sleep in separate beds, particularly from earlier generations. For example, in Downton Abbey Lady Mary is in her mother's bedroom when her father comes into the room to get into bed with wife. She says "I hope you know really smart people sleep in separate rooms". She means smart as in cool and classy.

There has been press speculation about whether Philip has been faithful to the Queen. The problem is, they've never been able to substantiate the rumours. In fact one of the Queen's biographers, who previously wrote that he has had affairs, has now said that she got that wrong and doesn't now believe it be true.

Last edited:
Spain's king Juan Carlos to visit Bosnia

Spain's King Juan Carlos will on March 29 attend a ceremony in Bosnia, dedicated to Spanish peacekeepers killed there over the past two decades, officials said Friday.

The king will notably take part in the inauguration of the Square of Spain in the southern town of Mostar and meet members of country's tripartite presidency, Muslim Bakir Izetbegovic, Serb Nebojsa Radmanovic and Croat Zeljko Komsic, it said in a statement.

Spain's king Juan Carlos to visit Bosnia < Spanish news | Expatica Spain

There has been press speculation about whether Philip has been faithful to the Queen. The problem is, they've never been able to substantiate the rumours. In fact one of the Queen's biographers, who previously wrote that he has had affairs, has now said that she got that wrong and doesn't now believe it be true.

Actually, something similar happens in Spain. It's been accepted for years that JC and Sofia have a working marriage and that's all. The issue here as well is that there is no proof anywhere that he's been unfaithful.

Personally, I'm sure that quite a few Spanish journalists have photographs the SRF doesn't want published - JC specially. Fortunately, not only JC is respected enough for the press to keep quiet about what's essentially a private issue but more importantly, mainstream press in Spain rarely, if ever, reports about infidelity. In Spain, like in France, infidelity is viewed as a private matter, one that has nothing to do with how a politician, a businessman or a King, performs his or her job.

As long as JC and Sofia perform their duties as the Constitution of Spain demands it from the Head of the State, whether or not they are faithful to each, it's their business.

Last edited:
Good to know Juan Carlos is well enough to start attending ceremonies again like he's attending in Bosnia today.

Felipe has been doing a remarkable job, but I miss JC sometimes.:mellow:

Good to know Juan Carlos is well enough to start attending ceremonies again like he's attending in Bosnia today.

Felipe has been doing a remarkable job, but I miss JC sometimes.:mellow:

I agree with you Alondra!

King Juan Carlos visits Kuwait

According to sources of the House of the King, King Juan Carlos traveled yesterday to the emirate of Kuwait and held this morning interviews with Prime Minister Sheikh Yaber al Mubarak al Hamad al Sabah, and his predecessor in office, Naser Mohamed al Ahmed al Sabah, before meeting with the Emir in a working lunch that completed his visit.

El Rey impulsa la cooperación económica con el emir y el primer ministro de Kuwait

Viaje de trabajo de Su Majestad el Rey a Kuwait. Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España

Last edited:
Delivery of the Prizes Queen Sofia 2011, in its modalities of " Rehabilitation and Integration ", " Universal Accessibility of Municipalities " and "Promoting the employability of people with disabilities",of the Royal Patronage on Disability
La Zarzuela Palace. Madrid

PPE Agency

Getty Images - Buscar: ESP: Queen Sofia of Spain Attends 'Reina Sofia Awards 2012'

Entrega de los Premios Reina Sofía 2011, en sus modalidades de "Rehabilitación e Integración", "Accesibilidad Universal de Municipios" y "Promoción de la inserción laboral de personas con discapacidad", del Real Patronato sobre Discapacidad. Casa de

Last edited:
I wonder if the Queen will arrive back early considering the accident of King Juan Carlos?

I wonder if the Queen will arrive back early considering the accident of King Juan Carlos?

I'm expecting to see her back, An Ard Ri. This has been another unfortunate health setback for Juan Carlos.

And let's not forget Sofia. I'm sure that she can do without all the added worry and strain.

I'm expecting to see her back, An Ard Ri. This has been another unfortunate health setback for Juan Carlos.

And let's not forget Sofia. I'm sure that she can do without all the added worry and strain.

Exactly what I was thinking Doña Breffney :)

poor juan carlos! he really is a old man with a great responsability! long live to the king!
My aunt had the same problm two times and it is HORRIBLE.

El Pais is a serious paper, if they say he was hunting elephants there is a good chance it will be true. Of course the palace wont confirm.
http://politica.elpais.com/politica/2012/04/14/actualidad/1334391118_898284.html
(DISGRACEFUL PICUTRE)

Only some time ago this kind of media wouldnt have mentioned such derogatory information about the King, giving a detailed account of the circumstances of the injury. Hunting elephants in Africa while Spain is suffering from the biggest cost cutting in their history will not win the royal family any credit from the public.
The SRF has fallen out of luck when trying to cover up some unappealing details, the media is not prepared any longer to keep quiet purely out of respect (not that hunting elephants deserves respect anyway).

Regarding Sofia, I guess if she cares, she will care publicly. Other than that, there are obviously other women who look after JC in the hospital (according to Pilar Eyre the last time JC was in hospital somebody else got into the elevator just in time before Sofia arrived).
http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.a1b03f8f1a0eb41d95bf872bb307d7bf.471

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom