The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

And the other, long article on the same topic (from "El Pais"):
http://www.elpais.es/articulo/elppor...eladas/Arizona

According to this article
http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2006/0...140968206.html
it costed 1500 Euro to send this blood to the US and it has to be paid about 100 Euro every year (sorry if I didn't understand properly and made a mistake:))

Old 02-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Courtier

I dont know so much about cientific topics..but i suppose this is expensive...whos gonna pay this?...during 15 years??

Old 02-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Cells mother of the infanta Leonor guard in a bank of blood of Arizona (a video with Leonor's former images)

http://www.antena3.com/a3noticias/se...si&id=10662830
Old 02-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Courtier

If I'm not mistaken they also did this with Christian of Denmark.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Courtier

Goodness, I don't see what all the ruckus is about. If Felipe and Letizia decide to store Leonor's stem-cell filled umbilical cord with a private company, that's their business. Plus, in the event that Leonor has a disease in the future (God forbid) that requires her to be treated with stem-cells, her own stem-cells are the best bet.

For people who don't know, stem-cells are cells that haven't specialized yet. Almost every cell in your body is specialized to do a specific task: heart cells are for the heart, stomach cells for the stomach, etc. Stem-cells have the capability to make themselves into whatever kind of cell that needs them, if placed in the correct area. This is the new generation of research and the focus of so many debates on where to harvest them because they are so special. In adults, they're usually found in the bone marrow. In newborns, in their umbilical cords. The controversial source is human embryos which, if taken, causes embryonic demise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_cells
Old 02-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Heir Apparent

as i recall, Leonor is not the first case to store stem-cell, Christian of Denmark also had the same procedure.
it's probably very safe to do this in today's world, just in case something happen.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Good for F & L. If it had been available when my children were born I would have done the same thing.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Royal Highness

Are there not banks in Europe or closer to Spain. In the event of an emergency where the cells were needed ASAP, Arizona is terribly far away.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Nobility

In Spain is not a legal practice yet, you can donate your child's cells but for the sake of other sick people, not with the purpose of use the cells later on, in fact is not a personal storage procedure but rather a donation, you don't even pay for it. There's only a few blood banks in Spain that practice this kind of storage and as I said you cannot use your own blood back, is only legal if done with altruistic purposes not for your own benefit, if someone in your family gets sick you can have other people's blood without any cost, remember that Spain have a good social security system that allows the people to have access to this kind of treatments for free, however the procedure Letizia and Felipe have just done is not legal because since the goverment cannot provide this particular service (stem cells storage) to all the citizens for free they consider it is unethical to have the service available only for the rich; that's how it is in Spain and that's the polemic all about.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa
Are there not banks in Europe or closer to Spain. In the event of an emergency where the cells were needed ASAP, Arizona is terribly far away.
Yes, similar banks exist in the European Union, as well. The Portuguese companies that offer this service, for example, send the blood to laboratories situated in Brussels and London. Here, the total cost charged by the isolation and criopreservation is around 990 € (during 20 years) and 1470 € (during 25 years).

We should keep in mind that, despite the intense discussion about, the European Group of Ethics has explained that, so far, there's still no evident proof of the utility of these stem or mother-cells, so it is highly probable that this blood may have no value in the future.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

http://www.la-opinion.com/secciones/...mEjemplar=2333

The recent news has revived the debate on the subject.

The minister of Health, Elena Salgado, declined yesterday to comment "the decision of the family", whereas the Ministry reaffirmed the last declarations made by the coordinator of the General Organization of Transplants, Rafael Matesanz, according to which these donations will have to be altruistic and not directed to a specific person.

In this frame, different experts defended yesterday the possibility of the new decree that will regulate these donations open the door to the private banks of mother-cells.

Nevertheless, everything seems to point that, independently from the Princes' decision, the donations of blood from the umbilical cord will have to continue being altruistic in Spain, where there are already six public banks for storage of the blood destined to altruistic and anonymous donation: Barcelona, Malaga, Madrid, Galicia, Valencia and Tenerife.

At the present time the private banks of cells are prohibited in Spain and the couples that may want to store it have to send it to countries like Germany, Belgium, Holland, the United Kingdom or the United States.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Serene Highness

Why Arizona? That's like in the middle of nowhere. Maybe that was the intent?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
Simply, because it is the place where there is the laboratory with which the Clinic has an agreement.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks! By the way is there any public opinion of this? Did the Infantas do this also with their children?
Old 02-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Thanks! By the way is there any public opinion of this? Did the Infantas do this also with their children?
Sadly, the politicians, the press, the scientists .... they have used this topic to discuss, and there is all kinds of opinions. In Spain, this matter is not regulated still, there are public institutions that gather the cord, but not private roads and the government does not want to approve them, though if there are parents who send the cells abroad and it is legal that do it because nothing prohibe. It is a very complicated debate, between politicians and scientists.
According to an article of the today press, the Infanta Cristina has done the same thing with Migueel and Irene. But then to anybody it mattered to it nor one filtered to the press. It seems that this news has been some interest when leaking to cause this debate.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I am sure the citizens of Arizona don't think its the middle of nowhere :)
Old 02-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Aristocracy

I wish I could see more of her but she is still tiny and she needs her rest.. I think she nees to be away for a bit.... and later on when they have enough of her maybe they can share more of her with all of us.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
I am sure the citizens of Arizona don't think its the middle of nowhere :)
I know and am I sorry if by saying this anyone was offended. It's just that Arizona is known for its desert and immigration issues. It's a beautiful place just not mentioned as much as other states in the US. :)
Old 03-01-2006, 12:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula
Simply, because it is the place where there is the laboratory with which the Clinic has an agreement.
The Director of the Clinic just gave an interview and he said he's proud to have Leonor's cells storaged however he made clear the clinic do not have contracts or agreements with any clinic in Spain or in the world, being a personal and delicate decision the parents to be must contact them, those who are interested in must contact the clinic as a personal issue, make the arrangements, the payments and have everything set up for the birth day. If I found the link I'll post it here. The Ruber doesn't have that service, if you want to do it the doctors may recommend you a clinic before your due date, they may even talk to you about the option since it is a private clinic because a lot of parents doesn't know much about this but everything with the suficient time and again the parents must contact the clinic, that's not a thing you decide at the moment of the birth because everything must be ready in advance, I don't see the reasson to go so far away having amazing blood cells banks in Europe but I won't get there, I would rather think that if the clinic would have a contract with a bank won't be in the US but within the European Union. On the other hand, because I can read Spanish, the problem is not with another member of the royals because, even when they can take advantage of their position in live, they are not the throne heiresses and the people believe they must constitude in an exemple of service to the Spanish people and if the comun, normal people doesn't have access to this they shouln't either.
I don't know what to think, as a parent I underestand they both, as the future king and queen I can't because in Spain we beleive in solidarity and altruism, if my child healths i.e would depend on people like Leti and Felipe or if the people start to think only in themselves poor me, because I have not the resources to pay for the service and they basically didn't donate for the sake of other people but for themselves and you can do that without consecuences as a person but not in their positions, or rather you can do it but expect the avalanche of critics.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

I believe that it is an artificial polemic created by the clashes that exists on the topic. But today in day there is no law and therefore they have right to do what they want. All the parents are Princes or not, they worry for the health and the future of their children. There is in day the science advances very rapidly, and probably in two or three years there am discovered that they have done the correct thing, and we all are doing the same thing.But there is a project of law, with which not the whole world agrees.

Spain has a public health, but also a private health exists. Every person has right to decide. The economic cost of this process is not high, many parents spend more money in other much more unnecessary things, and if this service existed in Spain it would be cheaper. Today in day very few public hospitals follow this system, and the public banks have a limit of storage .... everything what is not in use, goes away to the garbage.Why not to allow then that the parents should decide... Be interested political and economic, basically

Leonor is not any child is the future Heiress to the Wreath and therefore, her health, not only it must be peocupation of her parents but worry of the State because if her hapenned something there might be problems in the future.
The Royal Families or the chiefs of State and Presidents of Government, have their own medical equipments, with everything prepared in each of their trips, with blood stored for them in sole right if it happens a little ... and nobody criticizes it. It thinks that it is something normal, because they are who they are.

It is not possible to deal very well. Because for example, in Spain already is legal, that a few parents do a selection of embryos to have a son who saves another patient; but nevertheless they do not allow to the parents to guard the cells of the umbilical cord, of a child who can save him or to a future brother.
Yesterday, the president of the CSIC, the Top Center of Scientific Investigations, which depends on the Government, said that he would have done the same thing, because today in day the science evolves very much and it is necessary to be for-sighted.He was not finding problem, in which the cells of acda child were distributing for private use and for public use .... if the process was generalized, there would be no problem. The only thing that would cost too much money to the Government, and it is a problem.