Infanta Leonor and Infanta Sofía, News and Pictures Part 4: June 2008 - December 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It all depends on how long JC will be around. As long as he is still alive, I dont think we will see much more of Leonor and Sofia, apart from the odd show-off to the media, to let the public know what they look like (Easter, Majorca etc).
As soon as Felipe becomes King, naturally the spotlight will turn especially on Leonor too who will consequently become heiress presumptive and Princess of Asturias. Felipe was not even 10 years old when he got that title and for him it meant attending selected events of the state, start doing speeches etc.

For everyone involved hopefully JC will have many more years ahead.

Yes, that should be difficult for a child to attend such events. Leonor is too young to have that on her shoulders. But I honestly don't think king Juan Carlos will take more longer. :sad:

I quite agree with the DOM. Until Felipe ascends the throne, we won't see much of the girls. Personally I think this is a good way for them to have as normal a life as can be had by the future heir. It's actually kind of fun only seeing them every so often, it's kind of a surprise to see how much they've grown.

Hope we will see a "Christmas Wishes" pic of them soon...... cannot wait for it!
BYe Bine

A ? about the girls' education: IL is in primary school correct? And IS is in infant school correct? When will IL go to secondary, and IS to primary? How old are the girls? And how does the education system work in Spain?

A ? about the girls' education: IL is in primary school correct? And IS is in infant school correct? When will IL go to secondary, and IS to primary? How old are the girls? And how does the education system work in Spain?

Infanta Leonor is 5 years old and I don't know for sure but I assume she's in her last year of pre-elementary/pre-primary school .
Infanta Sofía is three years old and in her first year of pre-elementary/pre-primary school at her elder sister's school.

Before they went to the Santa María de los Rosales school they attended a nursery school in the Zarzuela grounds.

Children in Spain usually start going to a nursery school in the morning when they are 2 years old, although it depends on the parents and their jobs if they go earlier or later to school.
When children attend private schools (as is the case with Leonor and Sofía) they usually start there at 3 years old and do three years of pre-school. Sofía is doing right now the first of those years.
When they are 6 years old they start the first year of primary school.
There are 6 years of primary school. Then, there are 4 years of compulsory secondary school that start when the children are 12. When the children are 16 they start the last two years of secondary school, necessary for entering University but no longer compulsory :flowers:

A little simpler:

Nursery school-> 0 years-2 years
Pre-primary school-> 3 years-6 years
Primary school-> 6 years-12 years
Secondary School-> 12 years-18 years, only the first four are compulsory, until 16 years old

I.Leonor will start primary school next year and secondary school the year she turns 12.
I.Sofía will start primary the year she turns 6.

Last edited:
Thank you! One more ?
What is the difference between nursery school and pre- primary school? In the US, you just start primary at 5 or 6.

Last edited:
Thank you! One more ?
What is the difference between nursery school and pre- primary school? In the US, you just start primary at 5 or 6.

The difference is that in nursery school(I'm not sure how this would be called in English I just chose this name ;) ) children are more "babies", they nap, they play...
In what I called pre-primary school children start having structured school with different classes, recess, lunch, they learn to read and write, start learning foreign languages...
In Spain children start primary school the year they turn 6. Because Leonor's birthday is on the 31st of October she'll start primary school at five too.

Roseroyal, it's like the difference between daycare/"play-school" and preschool (including kindergarten).

Do you think there will be a new Royal baby next year?

she said that they had enouph with to childreen

According to some prophecies they will have one son. But I would be glad if they change the salic law and Leonor will be official heir.
But I don´t see this. It´s easier to let her be pregnant again.....:whistling:

she said that they had enouph with to childreen
really??? i hope she changes her mind, well having 2 kids that are really young is enough to care, but i hope she can reconsider it after the girls get a bit older (it would be appropriate when sofia is 5).

i really hope she can have her 3rd child, i dont care for a boy or if its a girl again, well of course a boy would be prefered, cause they already have 2 girls, but if another girls comes ill be happy too.

if she really gets pregnant again and she gives birth to a boy, i hope she can name the baby, Alfonso. its such a beautiful, royal and historical name (like leonor's name)

According to some prophecies they will have one son. But I would be glad if they change the salic law and Leonor will be official heir.
But I don´t see this. It´s easier to let her be pregnant again.....:whistling:

There is no salic law in Spain(that would make a regnant queen practically impossible), there is male progeniture and if Leonor doesn't get a brother she'll be the Princess of Asturias when Felipe becomes King.

^exactly. but if letizia were to be pregnant with a boy, im sure, before the baby were to be born, theyll change the laws.
but since they are only girls so far, they dont need to rush things and change the law. so leonor will be heir presumptive if her father becomes king.

:previous:
I agree. In my opinion, if Letizia becomes pregnant again and it's a boy the law would be changed and Leonor would still be heiress.
When the Princess got pregnant with Sofía, before her gender was known, politicians from every party agreed to change the law if the baby turned out to be a boy.

:previous:
I agree. In my opinion, if Letizia becomes pregnant again and it's a boy the law would be changed and Leonor would still be heiress.
When the Princess got pregnant with Sofía, before her gender was known, politicians from every party agreed to change the law if the baby turned out to be a boy.

Its not that easy and can actually endanger the institution. There is a separate thread for this topic.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f21/future-of-the-spanish-monarchy-1779.html

The approval of a new constitution or the approval of any constitutional amendment affecting the Preliminary Title, or Section I of Chapter II of Title I (on Fundamental Rights and Public Liberties) or Title II (on the Crown)—the so-called "protected provisions"—are subject to a special process that requires (1) that two-thirds of each House approve the amendment, (2) that elections are called immediately thereafter, (3) that two-thirds of each new House approves the amendment, and (4) that the amendment is approved by the people in a referendum.
(source: wikipedia)

IMO they are done with children, not only because two are sufficient but also because a third child would cause discussions and polemic. Boy=change of constitution, Girl=they were trying for a boy, like Sofia, but failed again.

hey but what if they want more children? they will not stop just because it would be polemic, its their life and their decision to decide if they want or not.
the most obvious reason why they would not want more is that they have enough with 2 kids.

I was referring to their informal chat with some journalists where they said that bringing up the two girls is fulfilling and they dont intend to have more children.

I was referring to their informal chat with some journalists where they said that bringing up the two girls is fulfilling and they dont intend to have more children.
thats right, is not because of polemic and constituition.:flowers:

back to the girls, anyone here has a clue if they will attend the special mass of the anniversary of the king's mother?

I also heard, that Letizia suffered from some problems during the pregnancies.... and maybe as well during births, as both girls were cesarian.... so this also could be a reason for staying with 2.
BYe Bine

Yes she had massive problems, especially when pregnant with Sofia, couldnt do any events outside Madrid.

In addition to that, Letizia doesnt strike me as the most maternal person on earth, in her pre-princess life she was very career-orientated, when Felipe said he wanted more than two and less than five children she made a rather sceptical remark during engagement press meeting.

I think she delivered what she had to deliver, a heir and a spare, and thats it. They have full agenda and the girls are being looked after by nannies quite often anyway, this would only increase with a third child.

.....In addition to that, Letizia doesnt strike me as the most maternal person on earth, in her pre-princess life she was very career-orientated, when Felipe said he wanted more than two and less than five children she made a rather sceptical remark during engagement press meeting.

Isn't this a rather misogynist statement that career oriented females cannot be maternal, or that women who want to limit the family size to 2, are not maternal. Forgive me, but this attitude smacks very paternalistic.:bang:

I have lots of friends who are executives in major companies, yet are very devoted to their children. Same with me.

This is yet again reinforcement of negative stereotype that an intelligent, ambitious woman who wants to contribute to the world, cannot be maternal. She has to be hard, aggressive, devoid of all softer things such as love, loyalty etc. With all due respect, it is disgusting:bang:

Isn't this a rather misogynist statement that career oriented females cannot be maternal, or that women who want to limit the family size to 2, are not maternal. Forgive me, but this attitude smacks very paternalistic.:bang:

I have lots of friends who are executives in major companies, yet are very devoted to their children. Same with me.

This is yet again reinforcement of negative stereotype that an intelligent, ambitious woman who wants to contribute to the world, cannot be maternal. She has to be hard, aggressive, devoid of all softer things such as love, loyalty etc. With all due respect, it is disgusting:bang:
Very well said.

I agree with Duke of Marmalade. Letizia will not have any children.
She has her own 'career plans' how to be a queen. IMO, she's a typical "mother-wife".

I dont think she had "massive" problems during her pregnancies.. just the typical sicknesses and symptoms pregnant women go through, i do think she had it worst with Sofia but nothing too serious, she attended a lot of events even after her sister's death.

Well said jjkg.

I completely disagree with the Duke of Marmalade about Letizia not being maternal, she completely lights up when her girls(or any other child) are present, the change in her demeanour is remarkable. There are also many stories on the press about Felipe and Letizia taking the girls to spend weekends on rural towns or doing different activities with them in Madrid. Everybody who comes across them in these situations say that they appear alone, they don't even notice their security.
And regarding her pregnancies they couldn't be that difficult because pregnant with Leonor she went on an official visit to Japan. The pregnancy with Sofía looked harder for her but she lost her sister while pregnant.

I must congratulate all Spanish for their beautiful Royal Family :) this two little princess are specially wonderful! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom