The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC View Post

I agree. In my opinion, if Letizia becomes pregnant again and it's a boy the law would be changed and Leonor would still be heiress.
When the Princess got pregnant with Sofía, before her gender was known, politicians from every party agreed to change the law if the baby turned out to be a boy.
Its not that easy and can actually endanger the institution. There is a separate thread for this topic.

Future of the Spanish Monarchy

The approval of a new constitution or the approval of any constitutional amendment affecting the Preliminary Title, or Section I of Chapter II of Title I (on Fundamental Rights and Public Liberties) or Title II (on the Crown)—the so-called "protected provisions"—are subject to a special process that requires (1) that two-thirds of each House approve the amendment, (2) that elections are called immediately thereafter, (3) that two-thirds of each new House approves the amendment, and (4) that the amendment is approved by the people in a referendum.
(source: wikipedia)

IMO they are done with children, not only because two are sufficient but also because a third child would cause discussions and polemic. Boy=change of constitution, Girl=they were trying for a boy, like Sofia, but failed again.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Royal Highness

hey but what if they want more children? they will not stop just because it would be polemic, its their life and their decision to decide if they want or not.
the most obvious reason why they would not want more is that they have enough with 2 kids.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

I was referring to their informal chat with some journalists where they said that bringing up the two girls is fulfilling and they dont intend to have more children.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I was referring to their informal chat with some journalists where they said that bringing up the two girls is fulfilling and they dont intend to have more children.
thats right, is not because of polemic and constituition.

back to the girls, anyone here has a clue if they will attend the special mass of the anniversary of the king's mother?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I also heard, that Letizia suffered from some problems during the pregnancies.... and maybe as well during births, as both girls were cesarian.... so this also could be a reason for staying with 2.
BYe Bine
Old 12-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Yes she had massive problems, especially when pregnant with Sofia, couldnt do any events outside Madrid.

In addition to that, Letizia doesnt strike me as the most maternal person on earth, in her pre-princess life she was very career-orientated, when Felipe said he wanted more than two and less than five children she made a rather sceptical remark during engagement press meeting.

I think she delivered what she had to deliver, a heir and a spare, and thats it. They have full agenda and the girls are being looked after by nannies quite often anyway, this would only increase with a third child.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Aristocracy

Angry

Quote:
.....In addition to that, Letizia doesnt strike me as the most maternal person on earth, in her pre-princess life she was very career-orientated, when Felipe said he wanted more than two and less than five children she made a rather sceptical remark during engagement press meeting.
Isn't this a rather misogynist statement that career oriented females cannot be maternal, or that women who want to limit the family size to 2, are not maternal. Forgive me, but this attitude smacks very paternalistic.

I have lots of friends who are executives in major companies, yet are very devoted to their children. Same with me.

This is yet again reinforcement of negative stereotype that an intelligent, ambitious woman who wants to contribute to the world, cannot be maternal. She has to be hard, aggressive, devoid of all softer things such as love, loyalty etc. With all due respect, it is disgusting
Old 12-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkg View Post
Isn't this a rather misogynist statement that career oriented females cannot be maternal, or that women who want to limit the family size to 2, are not maternal. Forgive me, but this attitude smacks very paternalistic.

I have lots of friends who are executives in major companies, yet are very devoted to their children. Same with me.

This is yet again reinforcement of negative stereotype that an intelligent, ambitious woman who wants to contribute to the world, cannot be maternal. She has to be hard, aggressive, devoid of all softer things such as love, loyalty etc. With all due respect, it is disgusting
Very well said.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with Duke of Marmalade. Letizia will not have any children.
She has her own 'career plans' how to be a queen. IMO, she's a typical "mother-wife".
Old 12-15-2010, 05:35 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

I dont think she had "massive" problems during her pregnancies.. just the typical sicknesses and symptoms pregnant women go through, i do think she had it worst with Sofia but nothing too serious, she attended a lot of events even after her sister's death.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:04 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkg View Post

Well said jjkg.

I completely disagree with the Duke of Marmalade about Letizia not being maternal, she completely lights up when her girls(or any other child) are present, the change in her demeanour is remarkable. There are also many stories on the press about Felipe and Letizia taking the girls to spend weekends on rural towns or doing different activities with them in Madrid. Everybody who comes across them in these situations say that they appear alone, they don't even notice their security.
And regarding her pregnancies they couldn't be that difficult because pregnant with Leonor she went on an official visit to Japan. The pregnancy with Sofía looked harder for her but she lost her sister while pregnant.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:23 AM

I must congratulate all Spanish for their beautiful Royal Family :) this two little princess are specially wonderful! :)
Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC View Post
I completely disagree with the Duke of Marmalade about Letizia not being maternal, she completely lights up when her girls(or any other child) are present, the change in her demeanour is remarkable.
I agree. One of the things I love most about Letizia is that (and it is evident from all photos and videos we have) she is a wonderful mother. She IS very maternal IMO.
Nowadays the majority of couples in Europe choose to have only one or two children, and it`s perfectly ok. So why shoudn`t it be ok for Felipe and Letizia? They have an heiress and a spare. If they feel that their family is complete now, we should respect it.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Royal Highness

^i completely agree with you that letizia is so maternal.
you can see lots of great and heartbreaking photos, she hugs her girls with so care and love. shes a great mom^^

about getting pregnant again, its not that we are not being respectful to them, speaking about me, i would love to see them with another babie, and watch the big sisters play with the babie, and the parents too. it would be lovely.
of course its their decision if they want or not, and we must respect. but we also have wishes or opinions.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Think both Letizia and Felipe appear to be wonderful parents - they have an ease even more when the girls appear with them at events. There is something so lovely about the way Leonor and Sofia interact with their parents when out and about it is obivious that behind the seens they are hands on parents.

I dont see Letizia having any more children - they were both difficult pregnancies on the princess and having two c sections as well probably means a third child isnt going to happen. If Leonor becomes Queen i think this will be great for Spain.

Hopefully we will see the girls on an outing at some point during the christmas holidays

Old 12-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Leonor & Sofia on the cover of "Semana" & "Lecturas"
Old 12-23-2010, 02:24 AM
Nobility

"In addition to that, Letizia doesnt strike me as the most maternal person on earth, in her pre-princess life she was very career-orientated, when Felipe said he wanted more than two and less than five children she made a rather sceptical remark during engagement press meeting."

I find your comments biased and unfortunate - you don't know Princess Letizia to make these kind of assertations.

I don't know if she's a great mother or not but looking at the perpetual smiles of her children, I think they display all signs of being happy kids. Considering both their parents work challenging schedules (like all CPs do), to judge a woman's feelings in such, cold dismissive manner is out of place.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Aristocracy

Aww, Leonor & Sofia are just beautiful!
Two wonderful girls
Old 12-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Sunshine View Post
Aww, Leonor & Sofia are just beautiful!
Two wonderful girls
There's nothing more to add! They're wonderful!
Old 12-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

The new thread can be found here

Closed Thread

Tags
infanta leonor, infanta sofia, leonor, sofia (2007- )