The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 11:00 PM

thanks for the reply.

So from what your saying is that only daughters get titles when they get married?.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by texguy View Post
thanks for the reply.

So from what your saying is that only daughters get titles when they get married?.
Sex will only matter at this stage in case Letizia has a son - he will become Prince of Asturias, the title of the heir. Leonor and Sofia would get similar Dukedom titles as Elena & Cristina did.

Without a brother, Leonor will become Princess of Asturias as heiress, her sister Sofia will get a dukedom title, same goes for a possible brother, in case the constitution is being changed.

Leonor's husband will become HRH Prince of Spain, plus another title Leonor already bears as heiress, according to the list Paty provided, eg Duke of Montblanc (similar to HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinborough), but never HM. His title will remain even when Leonor becomes Queen (in contrast, female consorts become Queen, like Letizia or Queen Silvia of Sweden).

Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 AM
Moderator Emeritus

In this case it´s just a coincidence. The Title of the Heir is Prince/Princess of Asturias and the cossort will be Princess of Asturias (only in femele conssorts). When Prince Felipe become King then Leonor will be Princess of Asturias, but we dont know what title will breads her conssort, as the male conssort dont get the Prince of Asturias Title.

You can see in case of the Infantas Elena and Cristina. Jaime de Marichlar and Iñaki Urdangarin doesn´t got the Infantes Title as they are male conssorts, so King Juan Carlos granted to the new marrieds those Titles.

Do you undestand?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:48 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paty View Post
In this case it´s just a coincidence. The Title of the Heir is Prince/Princess of Asturias and the cossort will be Princess of Asturias (only in femele conssorts). When Prince Felipe become King then Leonor will be Princess of Asturias, but we dont know what title will breads her conssort, as the male conssort dont get the Prince of Asturias Title.
Yes, I agree. Leonor's husband will get a title but not the "Prince of Asturias", my earlier suggestion was Duke of Montblanc etc. But he will be HRH Prince Whoever, Duke / Count / Lord of Something.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Sweden should Victoria ever get married, what title / style her husband gets.

IMO it's a bit unfair on the males as most female consorts become "Queen" or share the title of the heir with their husbands (Princess of Asturias, Princess of Wales) but the males won't become "King" - probably too much associated with the conception of a reigning monarch - and are not allowed to share the destinctive title of the heiress. Prince Claus even kept the title he already held, Jonkheer van Amsberg, apart from becoming a Prince of the Netherlands. Unlike Letizia CP Maxima was not allowed to take on her husband's title "Princess of Orange" - what will be Catharina-Amalia's title as heiress - but is styled Princess of Orange-Nassau.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Yes, I agree. Leonor's husband will get a title but not the "Prince of Asturias", my earlier suggestion was Duke of Montblanc etc. But he will be HRH Prince Whoever, Duke / Count / Lord of Something.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Sweden should Victoria ever get married, what title / style her husband gets.
This is what the Spanish Constitutions says:

Quote:
Royal Decree 1368/1987, dated 6 th November, regulating titles, forms of address and honours pertaining to the Royal Family and to the Regents

Article 1
  • The holder of the Crown shall be termed The King or The Queen of Spain and He or She may use the other titles pertaining to the Crown, as well as the other peerages belonging to the Royal Family. He or She shall be addressed as His or Her Majesty.
  • The King of Spain's wife, whilst She remains His spouse or stays a widow, shall be termed The Queen and be addressed as Her Majesty, being entitled to the honours pertaining to Her Dignity, pursuant to the law of the Realm.
  • The King of Spain's wife, whilst She remains His spouse or stays a widow, shall be termed The Queen and be addressed as Her Majesty, being entitled to the honours pertaining to Her Dignity, pursuant to the law of the Realm.
Article 2

The heir to the Crown shall, as from his or her birth or as from the moment the fact giving rise to such entitlement arises, possess the Dignity of The Prince or The Princess of the Asturias, as well as the remaining titles traditionally attached to the Successor to the Crown and be entitled to the honours pertaining to him or her by virtue thereof. He or she shall be addressed as Your Royal Highness. The same Dignity and form of address shall correspond to his or her spouse, with the honours deriving therefrom, pursuant to the laws of the Realm.

• The King's sons and daughters not possessing the Dignity of Prince or Princess of the Asturias, as well as the children of the latter Prince or Princess, shall be Infantes or Infantas of Spain, respectively, and shall be addressed as Your Royal Highness. Their spouses, whilst they continue being so or stay a widower or widow, shall be entitled to the form of address and honours The King, as a gracious decision, may grant them, pursuant to the powers vested upon Him by paragraph f) of Article 62 of the Constitution.
Add:

I was wrong!! for what Understanded, Leonor´s spouse will be Prince of Asturias as well, right?

Old 10-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Well, indeed we don´t know if the Leonor´s husban will get the "His Royal Higness" or the Prince Title. There is nothing about this in the Spanish Constitution.
Yes there is, royal decree from 1987, article 3

The husband of The Queen of Spain, whilst he remains so or stays a widower, shall be entitled to the Dignity of Prince. He shall be addressed as Your Royal Highness and be entitled to the honours pertaining to his Dignity, pursuant to the law of the Realm.

And right so, the poor guy deserves to become a Prince, just imagine him among his peers without a proper title!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes there is, royal decree from 1987, article 3

The husband of The Queen of Spain, whilst he remains so or stays a widower, shall be entitled to the Dignity of Prince. He shall be addressed as Your Royal Highness and be entitled to the honours pertaining to his Dignity, pursuant to the law of the Realm.

And right so, the poor guy deserves to become a Prince, just imagine him among his peers without a proper title!
Yes, Duke. I was wrong. I edited my post.
And when Leonor will be Princess os Asturias, her husban will be Prince of Asturias as well.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Yes, Duke. I was wrong. I edited my post.
And when Leonor will be Princess os Asturias, her husban will be Prince of Asturias as well.
I was wrong too Paty
From what you copied it does appear that Leonor's husband would become Prince of Asturias what is fair but on the other hand quite strange as "The Prince of Asturias" is too much associated with being the heir (as much as it would be strange to call a male Queen consort "King").

Maybe the solution will be that he technically bears the title but does not use it (kind of doing a Camilla who is the Princess of Wales but is only known as the Dutchess of Cornwall).
Old 10-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was wrong too Paty
From what you copied it does appear that Leonor's husband would become Prince of Asturias what is fair but on the other hand quite strange as "The Prince of Asturias" is too much associated with being the heir (as much as it would be strange to call a male Queen consort "King").

Maybe the solution will be that he technically bears the title but does not use it (kind of doing a Camilla who is the Princess of Wales but is only known as the Dutchess of Cornwall).
Yes I´m totally agree with your comment, it has a lot of sense.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Courtier

I'm really looking forward to CPss Victoria's wedding since it may affect the constitution of other countries. I think Spain should amend their constitution and put the first born to be the sovereign, whether male or female. I kinda like Leonor to become Queen Leonor of Spain. She must be an excellent queen.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Hola!/LA INFANTA LEONOR CELEBRARÁ EN FAMILIA Y CON AMIGOS SU TERCER CUMPLEAÑOS
Old 10-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Leonor (wearing a mask) on her 3rd birthday, being picked up by her parents from school. Letizia is still wearing yesterdays outfit ...

REPORTAGE PHOTOS : Letizia d'Espagne, mais quel est son secret?
(thanks to giov)
Old 10-31-2008, 09:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Leonor (wearing a mask) on her 3rd birthday, being picked up by her parents from school. Letizia is still wearing yesterdays outfit ...

REPORTAGE PHOTOS : Letizia d'Espagne, mais quel est son secret?
(thanks to giov)
The photos are not of today, today it is the day of the teacher and the girl did not have school.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
The photos are not of today, today it is the day of the teacher and the girl did not have school.
The photos are actually from Wednesday October 29th. Nevertheless, looks like the children had some kind of party.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Serene Highness

Is there a way to have those pics directly on the forum?? because I don't know how to save them on my PC!

thanks!

http://princessesblog76.blogspot.fr/
Old 10-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Nobility

Maybe these photos were taken on the 30th, after their act in Caceres, hence the same outfit. Otherwise, if it's indeed taken on the 29th, then Leti wore the suit 2 days in a row
Old 10-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Moderator Emeritus

The Pictures were taken Yesterday,when the Princes retrun from Caceres. The French capation, says "Published on 31 October"

Also Felipe wears the same outfit
http://www.casareal.es/imagen_ampliada-ides-idphp.php

Old 10-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Courtier

Can someone put the pics, I can't see them
Old 11-01-2008, 05:13 AM
Nobility

Shall Leonor become Queen, she'll be Leonor II (The second)?

Ya know that, in the past, consorts of the reinging queens in Spain and in Portugal got the title of "King-consort" and still had a number of reign. (For exemplo, the husband of Mary II of Portugal was Ferdinand II).

I mean, if Leonor become queen, will happen the same? Her husband will be king?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:01 AM
Serene Highness

Here are the pics!!

Hebergement gratuit d'images, heberger vos photos pour forum, msn et site sur casimages
Hebergement gratuit d'images, heberger vos photos pour forum, msn et site sur casimages

http://princessesblog76.blogspot.fr/
Closed Thread

Tags
infanta leonor, infanta sofia, leonor, sofia (2007- )