The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Commoner

How old will the little infantas be when they have something considered an official duty or event?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Aristocracy

Of course there could be a special event that could be attented by the Infantas, but I don`t expect them to do official duties in near or even more distant future. They are children. They should stay away from the spotlight to be protected, have a normal childhood and concentrate on education. Yes, they are not "normal", but for now there`s no need to give them royal duties. Let them be children...

Old 11-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

It all depends on how long JC will be around. As long as he is still alive, I dont think we will see much more of Leonor and Sofia, apart from the odd show-off to the media, to let the public know what they look like (Easter, Majorca etc).
As soon as Felipe becomes King, naturally the spotlight will turn especially on Leonor too who will consequently become heiress presumptive and Princess of Asturias. Felipe was not even 10 years old when he got that title and for him it meant attending selected events of the state, start doing speeches etc.

For everyone involved hopefully JC will have many more years ahead.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Nobility

Yes, that should be difficult for a child to attend such events. Leonor is too young to have that on her shoulders. But I honestly don't think king Juan Carlos will take more longer.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I quite agree with the DOM. Until Felipe ascends the throne, we won't see much of the girls. Personally I think this is a good way for them to have as normal a life as can be had by the future heir. It's actually kind of fun only seeing them every so often, it's kind of a surprise to see how much they've grown.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Courtier

Hope we will see a "Christmas Wishes" pic of them soon...... cannot wait for it!
BYe Bine
Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Royal Highness

^which day the past year, they published the pics?
Old 12-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

A ? about the girls' education: IL is in primary school correct? And IS is in infant school correct? When will IL go to secondary, and IS to primary? How old are the girls? And how does the education system work in Spain?
Old 12-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
A ? about the girls' education: IL is in primary school correct? And IS is in infant school correct? When will IL go to secondary, and IS to primary? How old are the girls? And how does the education system work in Spain?
Infanta Leonor is 5 years old and I don't know for sure but I assume she's in her last year of pre-elementary/pre-primary school .
Infanta Sofía is three years old and in her first year of pre-elementary/pre-primary school at her elder sister's school.

Before they went to the Santa María de los Rosales school they attended a nursery school in the Zarzuela grounds.

Children in Spain usually start going to a nursery school in the morning when they are 2 years old, although it depends on the parents and their jobs if they go earlier or later to school.
When children attend private schools (as is the case with Leonor and Sofía) they usually start there at 3 years old and do three years of pre-school. Sofía is doing right now the first of those years.
When they are 6 years old they start the first year of primary school.
There are 6 years of primary school. Then, there are 4 years of compulsory secondary school that start when the children are 12. When the children are 16 they start the last two years of secondary school, necessary for entering University but no longer compulsory

A little simpler:

Nursery school-> 0 years-2 years
Pre-primary school-> 3 years-6 years
Primary school-> 6 years-12 years
Secondary School-> 12 years-18 years, only the first four are compulsory, until 16 years old

I.Leonor will start primary school next year and secondary school the year she turns 12.
I.Sofía will start primary the year she turns 6.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you! One more ?
What is the difference between nursery school and pre- primary school? In the US, you just start primary at 5 or 6.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Thank you! One more ?
What is the difference between nursery school and pre- primary school? In the US, you just start primary at 5 or 6.
The difference is that in nursery school(I'm not sure how this would be called in English I just chose this name ) children are more "babies", they nap, they play...
In what I called pre-primary school children start having structured school with different classes, recess, lunch, they learn to read and write, start learning foreign languages...
In Spain children start primary school the year they turn 6. Because Leonor's birthday is on the 31st of October she'll start primary school at five too.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Courtier

Roseroyal, it's like the difference between daycare/"play-school" and preschool (including kindergarten).
Old 12-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Courtier

Do you think there will be a new Royal baby next year?
Old 12-11-2010, 07:59 AM
Nobility

she said that they had enouph with to childreen
Old 12-11-2010, 07:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
Do you think there will be a new Royal baby next year?
Yes,I think that next year or 2012 they will have a son
Old 12-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Courtier

According to some prophecies they will have one son. But I would be glad if they change the salic law and Leonor will be official heir.
But I don´t see this. It´s easier to let her be pregnant again.....

Old 12-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hana View Post
she said that they had enouph with to childreen
really??? i hope she changes her mind, well having 2 kids that are really young is enough to care, but i hope she can reconsider it after the girls get a bit older (it would be appropriate when sofia is 5).

i really hope she can have her 3rd child, i dont care for a boy or if its a girl again, well of course a boy would be prefered, cause they already have 2 girls, but if another girls comes ill be happy too.

if she really gets pregnant again and she gives birth to a boy, i hope she can name the baby, Alfonso. its such a beautiful, royal and historical name (like leonor's name)
Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
According to some prophecies they will have one son. But I would be glad if they change the salic law and Leonor will be official heir.
But I don´t see this. It´s easier to let her be pregnant again.....
There is no salic law in Spain(that would make a regnant queen practically impossible), there is male progeniture and if Leonor doesn't get a brother she'll be the Princess of Asturias when Felipe becomes King.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Royal Highness

^exactly. but if letizia were to be pregnant with a boy, im sure, before the baby were to be born, theyll change the laws.
but since they are only girls so far, they dont need to rush things and change the law. so leonor will be heir presumptive if her father becomes king.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Aristocracy

I agree. In my opinion, if Letizia becomes pregnant again and it's a boy the law would be changed and Leonor would still be heiress.
When the Princess got pregnant with Sofía, before her gender was known, politicians from every party agreed to change the law if the baby turned out to be a boy.

Tags
infanta leonor, infanta sofia, leonor, sofia (2007- )