The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1
How do you pronounce Leonor? On Wikipedia it says that it is the Spanish version of Eleanor (kind of like Sofia is the Spanish version of Sophie), but I don't know how to pronounce it.
you can listen it in this video, queen Sofia pronunce Leonor after 00:20

also in this one, Prince Felipe names she after 2:28 and 3:03

Old 06-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamak
Ingrid Alexandra's from norway...
Of course...I imagine you noticed I write "Sweden" by mistake. I know perfectly that Princess Alexandra is from Norway.

Vanesa.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1
How do you pronounce Leonor? On Wikipedia it says that it is the Spanish version of Eleanor (kind of like Sofia is the Spanish version of Sophie), but I don't know how to pronounce it.
It's pronounced Lay-o-nor (nor rhymes with door). Leonor is from the name Eleanor, and Eleonor is also used in Spanish, although that is pronounced A-lay-o-nor.

I think it's much prettier than the English pronounciation of that, Lenore (La-nor). It's really grown on me, and it fits her so well!

Old 06-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Royal Highness

Leonor really is a beautiful name, and I think that it fits our beautiful girl!
Old 06-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

IMO Leonor is a Queen's name, very regal and it is beautiful for the heiress to the spanish throne. And Sofia no words.. I love that name If I have a daughter in the future I'll name her Sofia!
Old 06-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Courtier

Actually...I don't like the name "Leonor", for me, it's an old fashion name, just for an old person...
Old 06-03-2007, 04:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtikavalentine
Actually...I don't like the name "Leonor", for me, it's an old fashion name, just for an old person...
I hope you remember this comment when you are 'old', like your grandmother. Leonor is a beautiful name that suits the little princess very well. (IMO)
Old 06-03-2007, 04:31 AM
Courtier

Leonor is a name of queens. I think it's a beautiful regal medieval name. She will be queen one day if she has no brother, and I think that's why they gave her a name of a Spanish queen.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Courtier

I think that Felipe and Letizia did a fantastic job in naming their daughters. Both names are elegant, regal, and have history. Two beautiful names for two beautiful girls.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Nobility

In Brazil we used to say that some names are not for kids but for adults. But the kids will grow and become adults so chosing a name just because it's cute for a kid it's not right for me. I'm not too fond of the name Leonor but I think it's very appropriate for a girl who maybe become the queen one day.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristine
In Brazil we used to say that some names are not for kids but for adults. But the kids will grow and become adults so chosing a name just because it's cute for a kid it's not right for me. I'm not too fond of the name Leonor but I think it's very appropriate for a girl who maybe become the queen one day.

Funny thaught but totally right! nevertheless Leonor is too kind for a little girl also!
Old 06-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

In Germany the name Leonor was not well received (by the Yellow Press) as it sounds similar to the very popular fabric softener LENOR.

I remember some uncomprehending remarks
Old 06-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
In Germany the name Leonor was not well received (by the Yellow Press) as it sounds similar to the very popular fabric softener LENOR.

I remember some uncomprehending remarks
That's funny,
It also shows how the news we read in here are viewed so diferently in the countries we are in. Thanks for sharing that comment.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
That's funny,
It also shows how the news we read in here are viewed so diferently in the countries we are in. Thanks for sharing that comment.
You are very welcome Toledo. I bet Lenor is not being sold Spain!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Aristocracy

Ithink the reason they are just compling with the one name rule- it was a law passes a couple of years back. The older cousins have multi names but Irene and the babies and any future sibs have only one.
Wittykitty
Old 06-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Gentry

Leonor is a beautiful name .. sounds so romantic and regal.. almost like a name out of a fairytale..
Old 06-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Leonor is a perfect name for a Royal. It was beared for several Queens, Princesses and so on in MIddle Age, as it was told here some post before mine. The same for the name Sofía. I'm happy with the two choices the Princely Family did.

Vanesa.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Courtier

Really i like the two names.. Leonor and Sofía.. are beautiful names!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Nobility

I like both names also!
Old 06-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittykitty
Ithink the reason they are just compling with the one name rule- it was a law passes a couple of years back. The older cousins have multi names but Irene and the babies and any future sibs have only one.
Wittykitty
I've always wondered why Froilan, Victoria, Juan and Pablo had multiple names, but Miguel, Irene, Leonor and Sofia only have one. I mean, there is 'de Todos los Santos' but I don't think that counts as a NAME, but more a Borbon tradition. I thought it was a little strange considering Cristina and Felipe (not Elena, since both of her children have more than one name) have multiple names.

His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Closed Thread