Infanta Cristina and Family, Current Events Part 12: July 2008 - March 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just only my opinion and what I hear from other people. The people are mostly indifferent to the monarchy but I'm not so sure that they are going to accept him as a king.

That's what I heard from a few Spanish friends as well - that they respect and like the King & Queen and that the Infantas are really popular.
My friends also said that Felipe isn't exactly considered as very smart. :whistling: I'm only quoting!

Anyway, I really hope that those rumors aren't true. Cristina is perhaps my favorite member of the SRF and I like them as a couple.

King Juan Carlos was " Juan Carlos, the Brief ", an idiot who would not last in the throne... and 30 years have passed, and many people continue saying that he is silly. In Spain, when someone has power is normal that they seek to discredit him of this form.

The Prince has education, formation and experience ... but he is going to be the Chief of the State and he has to suffer. If the people instead of following interested gossips, were reading the press and they were informed well the things would be different. I have read to politicians, journalists or trade unionists not precisely monarchic praising the work of the Prince. With the complicated that is Spain politically, with the complicated that are some Latin America presidents... the Prince has to be intelligent enough to never have committed an important mistake.

The work of the Prince and that of the Infantas is very different. If one observes the activities of the Princes and Princesses in Europe and their repercussion, it seems to be evident that to the people likes to see the nice dresses, children, social activities ... it gives good image. The political, economic or military activities are more boring and have worse advertising.

But the political situation of Spain is not the same as 30 years ago, there is now a democracy which when KJC became king didn't exist. People are mostly indifferent to the monarchy but everyone respects the monarchs more or less. It's not the same with P. Felipe, some journlist said that "he is as intelligent as his father and as nice as his mother", imo it describes him very well. About his intelligence, imo it was pure marketing, in the Vanity Fair article it clearly said that he was bored with his studies and he was very lazy.

Another problem the monarchy has it's the semi salic law, the constitution has to be changed now or later so when it happens maybe we will have a surprise as people will start to question more the monarchy itself and the reform may end the monarchy.

When KJC dies the monarchy will only live on if the political parties want to as the reform of the spanish constitution can bring more surprises eg the independe of Catalonia. And that a republic doesn't bring out good memories to many.

And I'm not so sure that the political parties support him as the right wing has never been near the monarchy surprisingly, and the left wing support him but they have always been more republican. The aristrocacy doesn't support him very much as they are frustrated because of the law about the inheritance of the titles. There are many articles about that as they want to put Elena as the queen.

I do read more than internet gossip and what can I see is that they try to make us think that they work hard for spain and that they are austere. They want to look more as CEO's of a company than as royal as we saw in the official photos, will the strategy work? We shall see.

The Prince and the Princess do their work and do it well, independently of what could happen in a future. To defend the Infanta Cristina, you are discrediting the Prince and the Princess and turning aside of which it is the topic here.

Iñaki Urdangarín, husband of the Infanta Cristina, created a business that is involved in serious problems of corruption. Iñaki gained a lot of money and this money served, for example, to buy a mansion that cost several million Euros.

I only hope that we do not have to see Iñaki visiting a court.

^^
Really I was defending Cristina? I was talking about the Asturias without mentioning the infantas.

I would like Iñaki to be judged, I have never liked him and if he is involved in the corruption case he can go to prison for all I care.

About the house I've read that it's owned by the two of them plus their children and before that they had an apartment in the best area of Barcelona, and she is an infanta, the house doesn't mean that he payed for it with black money.

Marichalar bought a super apartment in Madrid and he has never been linked to a corruption case and I doubt that with what he inherited from her aunt he can pay for his lifestyle.

I haven´t seen a photo of Cristina and Inaki together at the prince Philippe´s birthday, I saw only a photo of Cristina and a video, where only Cristina was seeing.
While I´m looking at the photos of the various events where Felipe and Letizia go and work, there is always a huge amount of groud at the streets, it seldom happens when Cristina or Elena are at an act.

So the Infantas are more popular than Felipe and Letizia? Hard to believe.

Never heard about it except from some Letizia 'haters' or Cristina's 'fans' on the internet. I doubt there is anything substantial out there to support this theory in general. Neither infanta had a high profile even before Felipe married Letizia, never much interest/expectation out there on them to begin with, unlike Felipe who is the heir. Of course, less interest or expectation could also mean less criticism (until Inaki and Cristina bought their 6-mil Euro house in Barcelona), but that has nothing to do with 'popularity', only more indifference.

DonnaK Thank you for discrediting my opinion in that way. I'm not a Cristina fan in any way, nor a Letizia hater :rolleyes:

I just gave my opinion on the SRF, if you think is not right, ok, but to discredit an opinion basing yourself that the other person is a fan or hater of someone is not a good argument. And maybe I should read my posts again because I believe that I didn't mention Letizia except to comment on the jealousy issue in which I don't believe.

Apart from that Pilar Eyre on tv said that Cris&family wento to washington because of two reasons, first the business problem, and some another big thing which is very important but she didn't give any clue.

If the press has started talking about this, I think that we can be sure that the divorce is very probable.

Melibea, I was replying to Monna's question. I never said anything about someone's own preference for a certain royal, however what's the base to make such a general statement ? Based on polls, surveys, crowds, interests of the media and etc ? None of the above is there to support such a general claim. OK, everyone said Felipe would have big shoes to fill after his father. If Elena or Cristina were at his position, people would certainly say about the same thing, maybe even worse. So Felipe is not very intelligent ? Where is the proof that Cristina or Elena is more intelligent ? All I had heard was that Elena was doing very poorly at school, she repeated a grade, her younger sister became the first Borbon to graduate with a university degree.

Regarding the infantas overshadowing the Princes ? how so ? The interests at their acts hadn't been the same. Even before Spain has its own princess, the media had much more interests at the likes of Diana, Caroline of Monaco than their own infantas.

On the other hand, I'm all for the infantas to keep their old agendas. Perhaps Queen Sofia is the one who can reduce her acts a bit, not the infantas. But with the kids all growing up, having their own life, Sofia probably finds joy at working.

Regarding the crisis between Inaki and Cristina, I don't think it's because of his business directly. Like I said before, Cristina has always loved Inaki, even he went to jail, she would still stick with him IMO. It should be something else. I always has the impression that Inaki has been looking quite upset with the SRF since Zarzuela forced him to quit his business in Spain. A few times the last couple of years, he didn't show up at the events that he was listed on the official website. He might have other obligations, not his fault, but the communication between him and Zarzuela didn't look good. Sometimes an angry man does stupid things to his wife, who knows.

LULA, what I wrote before, is based on what I read and listen to, including from Spanish people who come here to my country. I love the Spanish Royal Family, especially the King , the Queen (what a wonderful woman, mother and grandmother she is). I confess I prefer the two Infantas to the Asturias. By the way, I have been a fan of this family since Juan Carlos became king. So, I remember all three children as babies.
I have read many times people complaining about Letizia excluding her daughters from their cousins. And I rarely saw any photos of them (the children) together, except for occasions like Easter or Juan and Pablo´s first communion. Maybe I´m wrong and all those people are as well.This is the impression I get.
As for Iñaki, if he has done wrong, he has to pay his price.

I have read many times people complaining about Letizia excluding her daughters from their cousins. And I rarely saw any photos of them (the children) together, except for occasions like Easter or Juan and Pablo´s first communion. Maybe I´m wrong and all those people are as well.This is the impression I get.
As for Iñaki, if he has done wrong, he has to pay his price.

If the relation between Cristina and her brother had turned cold for whatever reasons, then their children didn't play together much, isn't it just logical ? Why always Letizia ? It could be the infantas who excuded their kids from playing with their cousins (little infantas) ? Although I think neither case had much truth.

Carminha, the princess is always blame for everything. Leonor and Sofia are Infantas, the decisions about them, to where they can or cannot go do not belong only to their mother. There is a father, a Royal House and an equipment of safety that also have opinion.

If it was true what you say, how this is explained. Cristina de Borbón Dos Sicilias, is a good friend of the Infantas, her husband is the godfather of Irene, practically she is like a third sister. Curiously, it is habitual enough to see her and her children, specially to Pedro, with the Princess and her daughters. In Christmas they were together in a Disney's spectacle and in the Kings parade.

After all I'm little bit confuse. Maybe I should post in other thread.
Can anyone explaine me when these "problems" between Cristina and Letizia start?
Who start it? She said something about his sister-in-law in any interview or something like this?
Or it base only on photos or videos?
How they children can play together if they live in different places? Besides there is difference in age between the children.

Ever since Letizia walked into this family the problems started. :bang:

How disgusting.

How disgusting.

Problems existed always, like in any family, which happens is that in the past the press was more discreet and was covering them more. Though if one was searching in the press of the past would find many things. It is necessary to have better memory, and not think that the Spanish Royal Family began with Letizia.

How disgusting.

Letizia should be responsible for Elena's divorce, marital crisis of Cristina and Inaki or Inaki's business greeds ? Sure she is also responsible for Haiti's earthquake and Spain's current 20% unemployment rate :eek::eek:.
Come on, the SRF has always been a mess with the ongoing marital problems of JC and Sofia, Elena and Jaime even before Letizia. But I understand your frustration of seeing the bubble bursted on your 'perfect' couple now.

How disgusting.
I think that if Letizia had such a responibility in the problems of the SRF, her relationship with Queen Sofia wouldn't be as good as it is ! So don't put he blame on her please.

Really unfair, such things happen unfortunately in all the families

How disgusting.

Disgusting? No, ridiculous, unfair and untrue. Letizia is obviously a good wife to Felipe, a loving mother and a professional princess. She should (and I bet she is) be appreciated by the Royal Family. And even if the Infantas had a problem with Letizia, why would it be Letizia`s fault?

I think these reviews are created by journalists, I believe that the Royal family are all united and they love the princess Letizia.The Queen Sofia is very close to Princess Letizia and I see them good .. .I think this is the work of certain journalists who want to criticize the monarchy and do not know how they do it and they believe that with these rumors have something to talk about ..

I think these reviews are created by journalists, I believe that the Royal family are all united and they love the princess Letizia.The Queen Sofia is very close to Princess Letizia and I see them good .. .I think this is the work of certain journalists who want to criticize the monarchy and do not know how they do it and they believe that with these rumors have something to talk about ..

It will be someone else's turn next week ;)

I hope the media get bored with this story as I am,.
Its the children I feel sorry for,the media don't seem to care about the damage they most be inflicting on the Palma Family :sad:

It is enough, please be back on topic. Of Course Princess Letizia isn't responsible of all problems in the Spanish Royal family. Also note that rumors about a possible marriage crisis of Infanta Cristina and Iñaki Urdangarin are just pure speculations and it should be taken as that, rumors without any official sources.

Last edited:
:previous:
Ufff, thank you, Paty.
You are right, nothing is confirmed, but just have a look at the recent separation from madeleine and Jonas, the press made it public weeks (if not months) before the final end.

So I am interested, what will be their next steps now: the Palmas could do the next activities together to show ("proof"), that the rumors are completely untrue..... or simply ignore the rumors .... but if they then are continuing going to various events without the partner (and even refuse to wear the wedding band) the gossip will dramatically increase...
Bye Bine

Even if they appear together the rumours won't disappear, everyone remembers that Elena and her then husband did go together to get their children at school, and they even kissed in front of the press. So imo they are going to ignore it, and we will have to wait and see.

But if the press has started to talk about we already know how is going to end

They live between two continents, the problem of the distance and the trips it is going to be kept. Iñaki has a work and they have four little children who go to school. So the things will be the same.

According to some information the Infanta will return to Spain next week to be present at an act of the Day of the Red Cross. Tomorrow we will see if it is confirmed officially in the agenda.

Cuatrocientas personas acudirán al acto institucional de Cruz Roja - La Tribuna de Toledo Digital
La infanta Cristina presidirá en Toledo el Día Mundial de la Cruz Roja - Toledo - Toledo - ABC.es

In one of the photos at Samaranch´s funeral it´s clear to be seen that Cristina wears her wedding ring.:flowers:

Very surprised to read through this thread - how can people seriously believe that there is any connection between Cristina's problems and Letizia. As stated before, mainly by lula, the Infantas have known their positions from the day they were born and I never had the impression that one of them became unhappy with all the lifelong priviliges that go along with being the King's daughter while having to do very little to earn them. It was always clear that Felipe would marry some day and that the focus would shift. Not a bad thing, really.

While I believe that Cristina and Letizia stopped getting along well along the way, it is likely on a personal level what happens in many families. As I said, Cristina is the King's daughter, nothing to worry about with her father showing public affection towards her, something Letizia is missing out on.

I believe Cristina went to the US because of Inakis business, nothing else, to give him a chance to work. He is in a bad position in Spain, and the King obviously agreed. A fallout between Letizia and Cristina because of Inaki's business, as was suggested along this thread, is very unlikely because Letizia (or Felipe) do not have the slightest say in this matter, its all down to the King.

There is the saying that where there is smoke there is fire but I do hope not in this case. It would be a shame seeing this marriage fall apart.

The King and Queen were best examples for their children to pull through a dysfunctional marriage for the greater good, no real need for the Infantas to follow suit, the only person where the real stuff is at stake is Felipe and I would not except a divorce for him in a million years, no matter what the state of the marriage to Letizia will become in decades to come.

Let´s all wish that IF there are problems in Cristina´s marriage, they will be solved. IF NOT, may the Press leave them be. I love this couple/family very much and I hope for all their sakes that it´s nothing but idle gossip.
In no time did I think that these problems were created by Letizia. It´s an absurd idea, to start with.

Very surprised to read through this thread - how can people seriously believe that there is any connection between Cristina's problems and Letizia. As stated before, mainly by lula, the Infantas have known their positions from the day they were born and I never had the impression that one of them became unhappy with all the lifelong priviliges that go along with being the King's daughter while having to do very little to earn them. It was always clear that Felipe would marry some day and that the focus would shift. Not a bad thing, really.

As one poster had already been saying, it's easy to say it in theory, however when it really happens, it's really like taking away the things you really love and are very much accustomed to. I don't think Elena had much an issue. She was always being said to be the least ambitious member in the family.

I believe Cristina went to the US because of Inakis business, nothing else, to give him a chance to work. He is in a bad position in Spain, and the King obviously agreed. A fallout between Letizia and Cristina because of Inaki's business, as was suggested along this thread, is very unlikely because Letizia (or Felipe) do not have the slightest say in this matter, its all down to the King.

I don't think Letizia had anything to do with Zarzuela's decision on removing Inaki's business, she doesn't have much voice there IMO. My point was that the previously close relationship between Cristina and Felipe had turned cold, why didn't people ask 'why' ? The press has only been interested at the 'wars' between women, those trivial gossips said by them likely wouldn't have caused a close relationship between brother and sister turning cold (I have a brother myself too).
I know the final decision was definitely from JC to remove Inaki's business in Spain, however Cristina could be disappointed if her brother hadn't supported Inaki along the way IMO. Now more people can see it was a wise decision, but at that time, not everyone involved could think rationally, Inaki was said to be extremely angry about the decision in the book written by JC's friend collecting 16 letters written by JC to Felipe when he was studying at Georgetown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom