The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Royal Highness

I think this story has lots of ramifications,i.e: Iñaki´s business and this scandal which I didn´t know existed, is one of them. Their going to the US I think had to do with a betterment of his financial situation and I don´t believe it was a decision of the Infanta by herself or for her own reasons.
Elena and Cristina, who were very close to their brother, distanced themselves, and I think it has to do, with the way Letizia brings up her daughters apart from the other cousins. It´s strange that in a family where cousins like the Marichalars and the Urdangarins play and see each other as much as possible, they have hardly any contact with the two Infantitas.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

In the interests of the Monarchy the King should allow the Infanta's a little more of a supporting role within the Royal Family .It would get quite boring if all we saw was the King,Queen & Prince/Princess,plus such whispers of a strained Royal Family can't be doing them any favours & the media have picked up this .

Personally I'd like to see more of the Infanta's at Royal Events .

Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Courtier

^^
The problem is that P. Felipe is not accepted as they want him to be and the infantas are very popular so imo they try to show us more the Asturias and less the infantas. But of course this is my opinion.

About the jealousy issue imo the infantas prefer to live their own lives without the royal duties so they are not jealous; in my opinion the problem is other things not that.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melibea View Post
^^
The problem is that P. Felipe is not accepted as they want him to be and the infantas are very popular so imo they try to show us more the Asturias and less the infantas. But of course this is my opinion.
So the Infantas are more popular than Felipe and Letizia? Hard to believe.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
According to the Belgian Board Inaki was seen together with Cristina at Phillippes birthday party. So I think this is the proof that the crisis rumours are false.

I recall reading that over on the Belgian Board or else I saw a small photo of them together .
Old 05-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Carminha, it is necessary to have good memory, and know the past. For several years the relation between the Infantas was distant enough, only one saw them united in official activities, they had totally separated lives. Only when Elena's matrimonial crisis was started aggravating, and the children had already an age in which they wanted to be united, the Infantas recovered this sisters' relation.

The Prince and his family do not have the freedom of movements that the Infantas have, their obligations and their living conditions are totally different, and it is not fault of the Princess. It is much easier than the Infantas and their families visit Zarzuela, that the Prince and his family travels, and what happens inside the doors nobody knows. The certain thing is that when one sees them united, the children seem to have a very normal relation.

The Infantas must go on to a background because Spain cannot have the image of which it supports a Royal Family of 15 members, it is harmful to the Monarchy. It is the natural evolution of any Monarchy, and the changes are progressive. It isn´t the same to be the second and third in the succession that to be the fourth and the seventh, now the Infantas Leonor and Sofia are over their aunts.

We see the Queen Beatrix to share more acts with Willem and Maxima that with her other children, the King Harald and the Queen Sonja are more with Haakon and Mette Marit that with Martha Louise. With the weddings of the Crown Princes and the birth of their children all the Monarchies have change.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Courtier

And Ard Ri
Can you post it?

About the popularity, at least where I live infanta Cristina is much popular than him. He is not as popular as his father that cannot be argued, so imo they are trying to sell him to us, and the infantas can overshadow him.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monna View Post
I do not believe it either. The Prince and the Princess have a major pressure, are more observed, there is more interest in them and by it they are more criticized also. But it is because what is expected from them is great for the place they are going to occupy. The Prince is the future King and of him all is analyzed, it is a political figure.

The Infantas does not have this responsibility, the press is happy if it has photos of some social acts and a few photos of the children. The Infantas are less transcendent and matter less. The magazines are happy doing business showing to Cristina's perfect and nice family ... but this it is an image of magazine. When there is necessary to explain the chalet of millions, or Iñaki's business the things are not so nice.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Courtier

That's just only my opinion and what I hear from other people. The people are mostly indifferent to the monarchy but I'm not so sure that they are going to accept him as a king.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Aristocracy

Thank you for explaining, lula. What you say (not only in this post, but in general) is exactly how I perceive the situation in the Royal Family.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melibea View Post
That's just only my opinion and what I hear from other people. The people are mostly indifferent to the monarchy but I'm not so sure that they are going to accept him as a king.
That's what I heard from a few Spanish friends as well - that they respect and like the King & Queen and that the Infantas are really popular.
My friends also said that Felipe isn't exactly considered as very smart. I'm only quoting!

Anyway, I really hope that those rumors aren't true. Cristina is perhaps my favorite member of the SRF and I like them as a couple.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Juan Carlos was " Juan Carlos, the Brief ", an idiot who would not last in the throne... and 30 years have passed, and many people continue saying that he is silly. In Spain, when someone has power is normal that they seek to discredit him of this form.

The Prince has education, formation and experience ... but he is going to be the Chief of the State and he has to suffer. If the people instead of following interested gossips, were reading the press and they were informed well the things would be different. I have read to politicians, journalists or trade unionists not precisely monarchic praising the work of the Prince. With the complicated that is Spain politically, with the complicated that are some Latin America presidents... the Prince has to be intelligent enough to never have committed an important mistake.

The work of the Prince and that of the Infantas is very different. If one observes the activities of the Princes and Princesses in Europe and their repercussion, it seems to be evident that to the people likes to see the nice dresses, children, social activities ... it gives good image. The political, economic or military activities are more boring and have worse advertising.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Courtier

But the political situation of Spain is not the same as 30 years ago, there is now a democracy which when KJC became king didn't exist. People are mostly indifferent to the monarchy but everyone respects the monarchs more or less. It's not the same with P. Felipe, some journlist said that "he is as intelligent as his father and as nice as his mother", imo it describes him very well. About his intelligence, imo it was pure marketing, in the Vanity Fair article it clearly said that he was bored with his studies and he was very lazy.

Another problem the monarchy has it's the semi salic law, the constitution has to be changed now or later so when it happens maybe we will have a surprise as people will start to question more the monarchy itself and the reform may end the monarchy.

When KJC dies the monarchy will only live on if the political parties want to as the reform of the spanish constitution can bring more surprises eg the independe of Catalonia. And that a republic doesn't bring out good memories to many.

And I'm not so sure that the political parties support him as the right wing has never been near the monarchy surprisingly, and the left wing support him but they have always been more republican. The aristrocacy doesn't support him very much as they are frustrated because of the law about the inheritance of the titles. There are many articles about that as they want to put Elena as the queen.

I do read more than internet gossip and what can I see is that they try to make us think that they work hard for spain and that they are austere. They want to look more as CEO's of a company than as royal as we saw in the official photos, will the strategy work? We shall see.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Prince and the Princess do their work and do it well, independently of what could happen in a future. To defend the Infanta Cristina, you are discrediting the Prince and the Princess and turning aside of which it is the topic here.

Iñaki Urdangarín, husband of the Infanta Cristina, created a business that is involved in serious problems of corruption. Iñaki gained a lot of money and this money served, for example, to buy a mansion that cost several million Euros.

I only hope that we do not have to see Iñaki visiting a court.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Courtier

^^
Really I was defending Cristina? I was talking about the Asturias without mentioning the infantas.

I would like Iñaki to be judged, I have never liked him and if he is involved in the corruption case he can go to prison for all I care.

About the house I've read that it's owned by the two of them plus their children and before that they had an apartment in the best area of Barcelona, and she is an infanta, the house doesn't mean that he payed for it with black money.

Marichalar bought a super apartment in Madrid and he has never been linked to a corruption case and I doubt that with what he inherited from her aunt he can pay for his lifestyle.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

I haven´t seen a photo of Cristina and Inaki together at the prince Philippe´s birthday, I saw only a photo of Cristina and a video, where only Cristina was seeing.
While I´m looking at the photos of the various events where Felipe and Letizia go and work, there is always a huge amount of groud at the streets, it seldom happens when Cristina or Elena are at an act.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monna View Post
Never heard about it except from some Letizia 'haters' or Cristina's 'fans' on the internet. I doubt there is anything substantial out there to support this theory in general. Neither infanta had a high profile even before Felipe married Letizia, never much interest/expectation out there on them to begin with, unlike Felipe who is the heir. Of course, less interest or expectation could also mean less criticism (until Inaki and Cristina bought their 6-mil Euro house in Barcelona), but that has nothing to do with 'popularity', only more indifference.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Courtier

DonnaK Thank you for discrediting my opinion in that way. I'm not a Cristina fan in any way, nor a Letizia hater

I just gave my opinion on the SRF, if you think is not right, ok, but to discredit an opinion basing yourself that the other person is a fan or hater of someone is not a good argument. And maybe I should read my posts again because I believe that I didn't mention Letizia except to comment on the jealousy issue in which I don't believe.

Apart from that Pilar Eyre on tv said that Cris&family wento to washington because of two reasons, first the business problem, and some another big thing which is very important but she didn't give any clue.

If the press has started talking about this, I think that we can be sure that the divorce is very probable.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Melibea, I was replying to Monna's question. I never said anything about someone's own preference for a certain royal, however what's the base to make such a general statement ? Based on polls, surveys, crowds, interests of the media and etc ? None of the above is there to support such a general claim. OK, everyone said Felipe would have big shoes to fill after his father. If Elena or Cristina were at his position, people would certainly say about the same thing, maybe even worse. So Felipe is not very intelligent ? Where is the proof that Cristina or Elena is more intelligent ? All I had heard was that Elena was doing very poorly at school, she repeated a grade, her younger sister became the first Borbon to graduate with a university degree.

Regarding the infantas overshadowing the Princes ? how so ? The interests at their acts hadn't been the same. Even before Spain has its own princess, the media had much more interests at the likes of Diana, Caroline of Monaco than their own infantas.

On the other hand, I'm all for the infantas to keep their old agendas. Perhaps Queen Sofia is the one who can reduce her acts a bit, not the infantas. But with the kids all growing up, having their own life, Sofia probably finds joy at working.

Regarding the crisis between Inaki and Cristina, I don't think it's because of his business directly. Like I said before, Cristina has always loved Inaki, even he went to jail, she would still stick with him IMO. It should be something else. I always has the impression that Inaki has been looking quite upset with the SRF since Zarzuela forced him to quit his business in Spain. A few times the last couple of years, he didn't show up at the events that he was listed on the official website. He might have other obligations, not his fault, but the communication between him and Zarzuela didn't look good. Sometimes an angry man does stupid things to his wife, who knows.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Royal Highness

LULA, what I wrote before, is based on what I read and listen to, including from Spanish people who come here to my country. I love the Spanish Royal Family, especially the King , the Queen (what a wonderful woman, mother and grandmother she is). I confess I prefer the two Infantas to the Asturias. By the way, I have been a fan of this family since Juan Carlos became king. So, I remember all three children as babies.
I have read many times people complaining about Letizia excluding her daughters from their cousins. And I rarely saw any photos of them (the children) together, except for occasions like Easter or Juan and Pablo´s first communion. Maybe I´m wrong and all those people are as well.This is the impression I get.
As for Iñaki, if he has done wrong, he has to pay his price.

Closed Thread

Tags
cristina, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, irene urdangarín, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, pablo urdangarín