Napoleon, Prince Imperial (1856-1879) - son of Napoleon III

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kallia17

City
Athens
Country
Greece
Hello to everyone!

I am interested in learning more about Napoleon Eugene, the Prince Imperial, and his life. He was the son of Emperor Napoleon III and his consort, Empress Eugenie. He was killed in the Anglo-Zulu War in 1879, aged only 23.

In my opinion, he was very charismatic and extremely good-looking and handsome. He was a considerable match for Princess Beatrice, the youngest daughter of Queen Victoria, and the British Royal Family was devastated by his death.

I have the following questions about him: what was his character like? Did he ever meet with Princess Beatrice? Did he have any love interests of his own during his short lifetime? What was his relationship with his parents like?

Also, are there any archives of his (diaries, letters, photographs, etc.) preserved and where? And does any of you know any good book on his life?

I would love to share his photographs too.

Many thanks!

Best Wishes,
Kallia

Kallia, see biographical books on the Prince Imperial by Ellen Barlee, Katherine John, Ian Knight and Paul Deleage.

Photos of Prince Imperial Napoleon Eugene

Yes Southern Africa, where he met a particularly tragic and horrible death, abandoned by fellow officers of the British expedition.

After the Prince Imperial was born, the witnessing of the acte de naissance occurred.
Prince Napoleon Joseph, the son of Jerome Bonaparte, refused to sign. His sister Princess Mathilde turned on him.
He signed but he made a great blot on the paper.

:author::author::author::author::author::author::author::author::author::author::author::author:

Yes Southern Africa, where he met a particularly tragic and horrible death, abandoned by fellow officers of the British expedition.

He was stripped naked after his death with the other soldiers but his body was not mutilated like the others who died and was identified by the Miraculous Medal he wore around his neck.
His body was taken to St Mary's RC Church in Pietermaritzburg and was then taken on the British warship in Durban and taken to England.
An estimated 40,000 gathered for his funeral.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Zulu-Death-Prince-Imperial/

The Prince Imperial Napoleon Eugene had a large dog called Nero.
In the evenings, when he came downstairs to see his parents, the Prince Imperial sat with his books on a sofa.
Nero jumped up beside him and went to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom