Napoleon II, Duke of Reichstadt (1811-1832) - son of Napoleon I

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kallia17

City
Athens
Country
Greece
This extremely handsome and very young prince was the only child of Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte and his second wife, Empress Marie Louise. He died aged only 21. He was very handsome and very tall.

He is kind of my royal history crush. I love learning about him. I'm planning on reading some books about him soon, and I can't honestly wait!

He was rumored to be a virgin when he died but there are also rumors that he was the father of Maximilian, Emperor of Mexico, instead of Archduke Franz Karl of Austria. It is said that Napoleon, called Franz by friends and relatives, was very close to Archduchess Sophie and that they were intimate and lovers.

Is any of it true? Do you think he did die a virgin? Is there any evidence of possible lovers of his? And are there any primary sources (diaries, letters, etc.) left and in which archive and where (France, Austria)?

Many, many thanks.

Kallia

This extremely handsome and very young prince was the only child of Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte and his second wife, Empress Marie Louise. He died aged only 21. He was very handsome and very tall.

He is kind of my royal history crush. I love learning about him. I'm planning on reading some books about him soon, and I can't honestly wait!

He was rumored to be a virgin when he died but there are also rumors that he was the father of Maximilian, Emperor of Mexico, instead of Archduke Franz Karl of Austria. It is said that Napoleon, called Franz by friends and relatives, was very close to Archduchess Sophie and that they were intimate and lovers.

Is any of it true? Do you think he did die a virgin? Is there any evidence of possible lovers of his? And are there any primary sources (diaries, letters, etc.) left and in which archive and where (France, Austria)?

Many, many thanks.

Kallia
He fascinates me too ! I read a lot about him and NO there is no proof of either he was a Virgin or Sophie's lover… I Don't think we will ever know…. one thing is very clear, he was very loved by his grandfather.

He never met personally his paternal half-brother Alexandre Colonna-Sweden, did he?

Napoleon II died. that's what happened to him, poor guy.

Yes, without having lived much at all, really.

well he was barely 21, and had lived most of his life in a sort of house arrest having been taken away from his native France and made to become an Austrian prince. A sad life.

He did get a heck of a quote in though:

Upon the death of his stepfather, Adam Albert von Neipperg, and the revelation that his mother had borne two illegitimate children to Neipperg prior to their marriage, Franz grew distant from his mother and felt that his Austrian family were holding him back to avoid political controversy. He said to his friend, Anton von Prokesch-Osten, "If Josephine had been my mother, my father would not have been buried at Saint Helena, and I should not be at Vienna. My mother is kind but weak; she was not the wife my father deserved".

There is no denying who his father was, whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom