The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-02-2019, 06:12 PM

Napoleon II, Duke of Reichstadt (1811-1832) - son of Napoleon I

This extremely handsome and very young prince was the only child of Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte and his second wife, Empress Marie Louise. He died aged only 21. He was very handsome and very tall.

He is kind of my royal history crush. I love learning about him. I'm planning on reading some books about him soon, and I can't honestly wait!

He was rumored to be a virgin when he died but there are also rumors that he was the father of Maximilian, Emperor of Mexico, instead of Archduke Franz Karl of Austria. It is said that Napoleon, called Franz by friends and relatives, was very close to Archduchess Sophie and that they were intimate and lovers.

Is any of it true? Do you think he did die a virgin? Is there any evidence of possible lovers of his? And are there any primary sources (diaries, letters, etc.) left and in which archive and where (France, Austria)?

Many, many thanks.

Kallia

Old 02-02-2019, 08:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallia17 View Post
This extremely handsome and very young prince was the only child of Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte and his second wife, Empress Marie Louise. He died aged only 21. He was very handsome and very tall.

He is kind of my royal history crush. I love learning about him. I'm planning on reading some books about him soon, and I can't honestly wait!

He was rumored to be a virgin when he died but there are also rumors that he was the father of Maximilian, Emperor of Mexico, instead of Archduke Franz Karl of Austria. It is said that Napoleon, called Franz by friends and relatives, was very close to Archduchess Sophie and that they were intimate and lovers.

Is any of it true? Do you think he did die a virgin? Is there any evidence of possible lovers of his? And are there any primary sources (diaries, letters, etc.) left and in which archive and where (France, Austria)?

Many, many thanks.

Kallia
He fascinates me too ! I read a lot about him and NO there is no proof of either he was a Virgin or Sophie's lover… I Don't think we will ever know…. one thing is very clear, he was very loved by his grandfather.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Try Napoleon II by Jean Tulard.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/napp...=9782213647982