Emperor Napoleon III (1808-1873)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The imperial government of Napoleon III built canals and promoted railroad development.

In 1868 Napoleon III had a visit from Albert Edward, the Prince of Wales.
Albert Edward took thirty-three personal servants with him when he went to Paris.

In regards to his marriage, Napoleon III declared, "I have preferred a woman whom I love and respect to a woman unknown to me, with whom an alliance would have had advantages mixed with sacrifices." :twohearts:

Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria and Emperor Napoleon III met at Villafranca on July 8, 1859 to discuss the Second War of Independence. The armistice was signed on July 11, 1859.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/804423004

Napoleon III viewed the barricades of Paris on December 4, 1851.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/463994527

Last edited by a moderator:
In regards to his marriage, Napoleon III declared, "I have preferred a woman whom I love and respect to a woman unknown to me, with whom an alliance would have had advantages mixed with sacrifices." :twohearts:

That's what he said but in truth every suitable princess he was interested in rejected him mostly because he was seen as an upstart.
For instance even though there where far reaching plans for him to marry princess Carola of Vasa she was in the end forbidden by her father to marry him because of the unstable political situation in France. When Napoleon was deposed years later he's to have said "I told you so!".

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
That's what he said but in truth every suitable princess he was interested in rejected him mostly because he was seen as an upstart.
For instance even though there where far reaching plans for him to marry princess Carola of Vasa she was in the end forbidden by her father to marry him because of the unstable political situation in France. When Napoleon was deposed years later he's to have said "I told you so!".

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

That's two different issues, in a way.

Napoleon III (and his uncle Bonny) was an upstart. They weren't a royal family at all, but rather Napoleon I was a military general who managed to seize power and make himself look royal. Granted, that's not altogether far off from how many other royals got their start, but there's a difference between doing it in the Middle Ages and doing it in the 19th century (namely longevity).

Carols of Vasa seems to have rejected him (based on your summary of the events) because of the political instability in France - which suggests to me that the problem wasn't that his surname was Bonaparte instead of Bourbon, but because France was... Well, constantly unstable. Between 1789 and 1900 France went through 3 monarchies (2 Bourbons and 1 Orlean), 3 republics, and 3 empires (2 under Napoleon I and 1 under Napoleon III). How any of the French male royals managed to make marriages at the time is purely amazing.

Very Interesting thread. Hope to research and support Bonapartist polictics in France through this forum.

-Scott Cox

Emperor Napoleon III tried to improve France similar to how his uncle Napoleon I did.

Emperor Napoleon III emulated his uncle Napoleon's highly restrictive edicts that court ladies should only ever wear white to evening receptions.

Back
Top Bottom