The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Nobility

After a short siege the Prussians entered Strassbourg , and would seize all of Alsace and Loraine, France would not recover them until the Treaty of Versailles at the end of the 1914-1918 war. Now the Prussians moved on toward Paris laying siege to that city, the government fled, some by hot air balloon. The siege of Paris would last more than a year, by that time the citizens were starving, having eaten the animals of the zoo, and most of the pets and the rats of the city.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Nobility

Napoleon III could add another debacle to his earlier failure to place Maximillian von Hapsburg on a throne in Mexico, against the wishes of the people there. Maximillian and his entorage would escape from Mexico with the looted treasury, through New Mexico. However that treasure would prove too difficult to transport. Leading to the legend that it was sequestered in a cave in Vitorio Peak in southern New Mexico.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Nobility

Meanwhile in 1871 the Prussian Foreign Minister Otto von Bismarck was consolidating territories conquered in recent wars, into the 2nd Reich ruled by the Prussian (von Hohenzolern )monarchy. The Prussian vicotories of1864 wars against Austria and Denmark and the newly conqured Alsace and Loraine.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Nobility

Bismarck the Chancellor of Prussia is responsible for the first unification of Germany (Deutschland) which now became the official name of that country, and still exists under that appelation. Henceforth Bismarck would be known as the "Iron Chancellor".
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Nobility

Surrender at Sedan
N III and the remnants of his armies were able to evade the Prussians and escape to Sedan, a city north east of Paris which contained a fortress, which they occupied.
When the Kaiser learned of this, he ordered Moltke to conduct a constant and relentless shelling of the fort.
This bombardment led Napoleon III to surrender.
Bismarck entered the city to receive the surrender.
Perhaps NIII expected to be treated in a fashion equal to his self appointed rank.
But Bismarck seated the Emperor on a rude wooden bench to dictate terms of surrender to him.
These terms included an agreement that Germany would retain Alsace and Lorraine. forever.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Royal Anniversary - 20th of April,1808 - Birth of future Napoleon III

Old 05-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Nobility

This is a correction of certain erroneus facts in the previous writing about Maximillian von Hapsburg. In the year 1864 the Mexican Army defeated the French at the battle of Puebla on May 5th, a date that is still celebrated amongst Mexicans and Chicanos. Maximillian went to Chapultepec Palace which had been a fortress before conversion to a palace . The Empress Carlotta fled through New Mexico with the Mexican treasury. Maximillian remained in Chapultepec, the war with Mexico continued for three more years, Maximillian' repeatedly begged NIII for more French troops, but none were forthcoming. Finally defeated after 3 more years, the Mexican army captured Maximillian and he was executed by firing squad.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Napolon, Prince Imperial was killed on June 1st,1879 during the Anglo-Zulu War.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

According to a new study (with DNA analysis), Napoleon III was not Napoleon's nephew, as he was not his official father's son.

Napole?n III no era sobrino de Napole?n Bonaparte - ABC.es
Old 04-28-2014, 07:16 AM
Aristocracy

If true it's not that big of a surprise really since his mother Queen Hortense was famous for her affairs at the time.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Royal Highness

The imperial government of Napoleon III built canals and promoted railroad development.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Royal Highness

In 1868 Napoleon III had a visit from Albert Edward, the Prince of Wales.
Albert Edward took thirty-three personal servants with him when he went to Paris.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Royal Highness

In regards to his marriage, Napoleon III declared, "I have preferred a woman whom I love and respect to a woman unknown to me, with whom an alliance would have had advantages mixed with sacrifices."
Old 10-16-2014, 11:52 PM
Aristocracy

Emperor Napoleon III (1808-1873)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
In regards to his marriage, Napoleon III declared, "I have preferred a woman whom I love and respect to a woman unknown to me, with whom an alliance would have had advantages mixed with sacrifices."

That's what he said but in truth every suitable princess he was interested in rejected him mostly because he was seen as an upstart.
For instance even though there where far reaching plans for him to marry princess Carola of Vasa she was in the end forbidden by her father to marry him because of the unstable political situation in France. When Napoleon was deposed years later he's to have said "I told you so!".

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-17-2014, 01:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
That's what he said but in truth every suitable princess he was interested in rejected him mostly because he was seen as an upstart.
For instance even though there where far reaching plans for him to marry princess Carola of Vasa she was in the end forbidden by her father to marry him because of the unstable political situation in France. When Napoleon was deposed years later he's to have said "I told you so!".

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

That's two different issues, in a way.

Napoleon III (and his uncle Bonny) was an upstart. They weren't a royal family at all, but rather Napoleon I was a military general who managed to seize power and make himself look royal. Granted, that's not altogether far off from how many other royals got their start, but there's a difference between doing it in the Middle Ages and doing it in the 19th century (namely longevity).

Carols of Vasa seems to have rejected him (based on your summary of the events) because of the political instability in France - which suggests to me that the problem wasn't that his surname was Bonaparte instead of Bourbon, but because France was... Well, constantly unstable. Between 1789 and 1900 France went through 3 monarchies (2 Bourbons and 1 Orlean), 3 republics, and 3 empires (2 under Napoleon I and 1 under Napoleon III). How any of the French male royals managed to make marriages at the time is purely amazing.