Emperor Napoleon I (1769-1821) and Wives (Empress Josephine and Empress Marie-Louise)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once a week, Napoleon's librarian would be summoned to attend him with recently published books for him to glance through.
Napoleon would throw on the ground those books which did not interest him.
He would put aside one or two books to read.

When he met Tsar Alexander I in 1808, Napoleon insisted that he must have the largest palace because he had brought the largest suite.

The Empress Marie-Louise's principal lady-in-waiting, the Duchesse de Montebello detested Napoleon and the Bonapartes. She did her best to persuade Marie-Louise to share her view of them.
On July 27, 1807, Napoleon gave himself an early birthday present, the title of Napoleon the Great. :napoleon:I like the letter Napoleon wrote in 1815 to the Prince Regent (the future George IV).
Napoleon's letter was brief. He wrote:
I have ended my political career and I come, like Themistocles, to throw myself upon the hospitality of the British people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defeated and inglorious? Why is Napoleon not treated with more respect in France? - History - Life & Style - The Independent
Under a clear blue sky, the Emperor Napoleon, wearing his trademark black felt bicorne hat, green tunic, white breeches and riding boots, emerges at the top of a stone staircase and, with a steady gaze and a salute, acknowledges the thousands assembled in the cobbled courtyard below.

Behind him are his generals, clad in gaudy uniforms and plumed hats, with swords strapped to their waists. Stood at attention or on horseback in the courtyard are several hundred Imperial Guardsmen in their bearskin shakos, many sporting a gold earring, a sign of their elite status.

The veterans of the Old Guard were Napoleon's favourite troops. He nicknamed them "Les Grognards"– the grumblers – because they were bold enough to complain in front of him. Beyond them, crowding the square and the neighbouring streets, stand around 40,000 ordinary French citizens.

Note boasts rare signatures of lovebirds Napoleon, Josephine | Daily Mail Online

Napoleon Bonaparte's last horse to be restored for second time

https://t.co/xM2Z9LbpIv

Ring Napoleon gave his sweetheart sells for £25,000 | Daily Mail Online

"A gold ring given by a youthful Napoleon Bonaparte to his first love has sold over 200 years later for £25,000.
The bashful teenager made the romantic gesture towards Caroline du Colombier, who he courted when he was 18-years-old."

Hoof belonging to Napoleon's stallion Marengo is found | Daily Mail Online

"Missing fourth hoof belonging to Napoleon's white stallion Marengo is found stuffed in a plastic bag in a kitchen drawer 202 years after carrying him to battle at Waterloo"

Napoleon discussion

[...] Her grandson is very busy and while the legacy of Napoleon is historical it demands respect [....]

While Napoléon may have had merits: in essence he was an army general whom commited a coup d'état, blew up the Republic to establish a brand new Empire, raged war against dozens of countries, occupied or even annexed these and replaced royal families with Bonapartes. A man who has enforced millions to conscript into obligatory military service and led them in hellish military campaigns with millions of deaths on battlefields in Europe, in deep Russia and the Orient as well at sea. A man whose policy inflicted a continental wide boycott with as result the Continent being in deep recession and crisis, with starving people, malnutrition, diseases and misery. A man who looted in occupied countries to fill France's museums, public buildings and spaces with stolen art.

Also that is Napoléon. So I would be careful with the claim that his legacy "demands respect".

Last edited:
While Napoléon may have had merits: in essence he was an army general whom commited a coup d'état, blew up the Republic to establish a brand new Empire, raged war against dozens of countries, occupied or even annexed these and replaced royal families with Bonapartes. A man who has enforced millions to conscript into obligatory military service and led them in hellish military campaigns with millions of deaths on battlefields in Europe, in deep Russia and the Orient as well at sea. A man whose policy inflicted a continental wide boycott with as result the Continent being in deep recession and crisis, with starving people, malnutrition, diseases and misery. A man who looted in occupied countries to fill France's museums, public buildings and spaces with stolen art.

Also that is Napoléon. So I would be careful with the claim that his legacy "demands respect".
To me Napoleon, his fascinating persona aside, had his biggest merit as a lawmaker. The Code Napoleon set down the core principles of the revolution on paper and spread them over big parts of Europe.
His wars did devastate Europe and the upheaval could be felt for decades after but even though most of his reforms were rolled back after his downfall in the end the people got their liberties.

For the 200 century on the Battle of Waterloo , the Duc of Wellington , Prince Blücher were there . They were joined on one occasion with the Father Prince Napoleon and the other Event his Son

To me Napoleon, his fascinating persona aside, had his biggest merit as a lawmaker. The Code Napoleon set down the core principles of the revolution on paper and spread them over big parts of Europe.
His wars did devastate Europe and the upheaval could be felt for decades after but even though most of his reforms were rolled back after his downfall in the end the people got their liberties.

The Third Reich committed horrendous atrocities like the holocaust, but just invading and occupying countries, impose foreign rule, the enforcement of millions into military service or enforced labour, the looting of the occupied countries, even the policy of the burn everything down in Russia, as committed by the Nazis, was done earlier by Napoléon.

Praising Napoléon for his Code does not outweigh it. It is the same as saying: "In the Third Reich the trains were punctual and the Germans got Autobahnen and Volkswagens".

And he is mentiones in Polish national anthem as one of role models for Polish soldiers:

"We'll cross the Vistula, we'll cross the Warta,
We shall be Polish.
Bonaparte has given us the example
Of how we should prevail."

Second stanza.

Not only for his advancements, but Napoleon Bonaparte still serves as inspiration/motivation for many people.

He went from low nobility to emperor. He conquered most of western Europe, established the Napoleonic code which serves as the foundation of the current system, and before he became emperor he helped the revolution and listened to the masses. He accomplished a lot of things and until Sainte Helena never gave up.
As to bloodshed he was hardly worse than the average. What Spain did to the New World, the Belgians almost a century later in Africa, the hundred years war, or the fact that Europe was rarely without a war to begin with.

Anyway, he's a major source of inspiration. Those who bid on his stuff see him as that and some want to his showcase items he owned to inspire others to be as motivated as Napoleon.

Napoleon is still seen as a great figure in France, with countless exhibitions, lectures, books about him, his court etc. He's seen as the father of modern France, not less.
The general public is fascinated by the Empire (1st and 2nd). Last week the castle of Fontainebleau reopened with great fanfare a museum dedicated to Napoleon (mainly visited by ... Russians !).
So the Napoléons are highly respected and i can assure you that they maintain the legagy with pride and panache (especially the Princess).

Nico, thank you so much for this perspective from France - I mostly get to hear very bad accounts from Europeans and I am really surprised that Russians are so interested in him and his legacy. Wasn't it completely burned down because of his invasion?!

Not only for his advancements, but Napoleon Bonaparte still serves as inspiration/motivation for many people.

He went from low nobility to emperor. He conquered most of western Europe, established the Napoleonic code which serves as the foundation of the current system, and before he became emperor he helped the revolution and listened to the masses. He accomplished a lot of things and until Sainte Helena never gave up.
As to bloodshed he was hardly worse than the average. What Spain did to the New World, the Belgians almost a century later in Africa, the hundred years war, or the fact that Europe was rarely without a war to begin with.

Anyway, he's a major source of inspiration. Those who bid on his stuff see him as that and some want to his showcase items he owned to inspire others to be as motivated as Napoleon.

You are very right about it - he was not worse than most of what European powers had done before and after him.

The Third Reich committed horrendous atrocities like the holocaust, but just invading and occupying countries, impose foreign rule, the enforcement of millions into military service or enforced labour, the looting of the occupied countries, even the policy of the burn everything down in Russia, as committed by the Nazis, was done earlier by Napoléon.

Praising Napoléon for his Code does not outweigh it. It is the same as saying: "In the Third Reich the trains were punctual and the Germans got Autobahnen and Volkswagens".
This is as Maria-Olivia said very much off topic but before we all get scolded Id like to say:
1. I never made any excuses for the Napoleonic wars I merely pointed out the, to me, one positive aspect of his rule.
2. While millions of people suffered as a consequence of these wars it is, again to me, offensive to compare the casualties of the Napoleonic wars to the many more millions of victims to a regime who systematically singled out specific groups of people for extermination and/or slave Labour.
3. Not only is it offensive it might also be illegal to downplay the singularity of the Holocaust in countries where some of the members of the forums live.
4. That the French choose to glorify a man responsible for so much hardship inflicted on the peoples of Europe and the Middle East is problematic yes but we have numerous examples of the same glorification of problematic rulers all over Europe.

Last edited:
JR76, I believe you have misread Duc's comments. I do not discern any downplaying. To the contrary.

Back
Top Bottom