Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 5: November 2015 - July 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

And today QMII went to Aarhus University to attend an event about The Reformation and the Danish Society: Dronning Margrethe åbnede konference i Aarhus | BILLED-BLADET

As you can tell from QMII's big smile, this is no doubt something she will have looked forward to attending! - It's evening now, wonder if they have persuaded her to leave by now? I imagine they carried her out to the car while she was still clinging to her chair, kicking and screaming. :D

:previous:

I doubt they tried to ;) According to the official events calendar Queen Margrethe attends a dinner and party performance on the occasion of the conference at Aarhus Music House this evening, so she had a full day filled with that theme..;)

Here are some more pics of the conference:

** fb gallery **

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #22, 2017.
Written by Trine Larsen.

QMII & PH can celebrate their golden anniversary on the 10th June. But as far as BB has been able to find out, there will no celebrations.
Not even their circle of friends seems to have been invited to anything.

So BB speculate that Dannebrog might be used for a very private celebration. Perhaps not even including the whole family and perhaps only a few and very close friends.
BB seems to rule out that there will be family gettogether at Chateau Cayx.

- However, there might still be a morning-wake-up by friends and family at Fredensborg I imagine. And perhaps a kind of surprise party?
Anyway, here is a video of a typical golden anniversary morning ritual:
As you can tell, every bird chirps with its own beak... :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55VQNTsJvhY

And back in 1992:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alirMZMMg7s

:previous: thanks. From the DRF calendar, Frederik is listed as regent from June 8-11. So what ever the Queen has planned, will be abroad :flowers:

I do hope we get some family photos

For the time being this must belong here: KGL. GULDBRYLLUP: Margrethe og Henrik stikker til søs | BILLED-BLADET

The court has announced that the Regent Couple will celebrate their Golden Anniversary on the 10th June in private aboard Dannebrog.
Dannebrog will be at sea on that day.

So BB's "source" was right.

There is no mentioning of other members of the DRF.

I'm very glad to read that Queen Daisy and prince Henrik are going to mark this occasion together, albeit privately. Fifty years of marriage is a pretty big milestone in anyone's book and it would have been very sad IMO if nothing had been done to commemorate this occasion. I hope they have a nice cruise around on the yacht (no rain or storms) and come back refreshed.

Agree.
And when you are well into your 70's and 80's the prospect of a lot of commotion and partying may not be that attractive anymore.
Next year when Frederik turns 50 it'll no doubt be celebrated big time!

I predict M&F and children will go on the summer cruise with Dannebrog next year, and be celebrated in various places in the country. And perhaps go to Greenland for one of the normally two cruises.

BB writes in their magazine issue this week, that the Regent Couple will celebrate their golden anniversary aboard Dannebrog, just the two of them. - And the 34 man crew...
They will be at sea on the day.

When they got married 50 years ago they started their honeymoon aboard Dannebrog, so this must be a kind of repeat.

However, the TV networks are going to mark the day!
DR1 (which you should be able to watch outside DK) wil "transmit live" from the Regent Couple's wedding for several hours from 15.00.
The idea is ti use achive material and then treat it as if it is a live-event, with running commentaries and clips from the past (i.e. engagement and QMII's and Henri Montpezant's life and so on).

So we can follow their wedding from princess Margrethe riding in a coach to the church, the wedding ceremony, leaving the church, balcony scene, party and so on. As far as possible from the archive material.

And on a completely different note.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #23, 2017.
Written by Luise Marie Bekker.

There are two major amusements parks in Copenhagen. One is the more internationally well-known and posh, not to say expensive, Tivoli in downtown Copenhagen.
And there is the equally old but more folksy Bakken.
A part of Bakken is Bakkens Hvile, a kind of inn, with singing-girls. They used to be "women of the town" who could sing more or less lewd songs reasonably tolerable. Not that it mattered much, because the audience consisted almost exclusively of men (ladies with any self-respect at all did not venture in there!) who were pretty intoxicated.
So the mood tended to be... merry... and the comments shouted from the audience reflected the lewdness of the songs! But the singing-girls were perfectly able to fend for themselves, if need be using expressions that would make even the most hardened sailor blush.

Nowadays the singing-girls are professional singers who dress up as tarts and sing songs that are full of innuendos, without being dirty. The audience is expected to hoot and whistle and stuff money down the garters of the singing girls. And today it is a place ladies don't mind being seen.

Anyway, together with some friends PH donned his green schlager-singer suit and went to celebrate the 140th anniversary of the place.
As always PH, who has a very keen understanding for Danish innuendos, was cracking up, while the girls winked at him and sang to him.

PH was presented with two roses and in return he presented two bottles of his own wine to the lead singer with a note saying: "Congratulations and thank you for all the Danish ballads in the French tradition. A warm greeting from a fan - a retiree. Prince Henrik".

It is also tradition that some of the guests buy a round to all in the densely packed hall, PH did so too.

Afterwards the leading singer, Dot Wessman, said: "It's huge that Prince Henrik is coming to show the love he has for Bakkens Hvile. And it's fun that he took up the premise, that you buy a round. He's a faithful guest and a very sweet and likable person".

Last edited:
BB writes in their magazine issue this week, that the Regent Couple will celebrate their golden anniversary aboard Dannebrog, just the two of them. - And the 34 man crew...
They will be at sea on the day.

When they got married 50 years ago they started their honeymoon aboard Dannebrog, so this must be a kind of repeat.

DR1 (which you should be able to watch outside DK) wil "transmit live" from the Regent Couple's wedding for several hours from 15.00.
The idea is ti use achive material and then treat it as if it is a live-event, with running commentaries and clips from the past (i.e. engagement and QMII's and Henri Montpezant's life and so on).

So we can follow their wedding from princess Margrethe riding in a coach to the church, the wedding ceremony, leaving the church, balcony scene, party and so on. As far as possible from the archive material.

Until recently the entire Wedding (as a lot of other royal Coverage like the Wedding of Joachim and Alexandra, the fuenral of Queen Ingrid etc). was in the Archiv of their Homepage. But it seems they removed it now as i can't find it anymore.

"On the occasion of H.M. Queen and H.K.H. Prince Henrik's wedding anniversary on June 10, 2017, the VILLUM FUND and VELUX FUND decided in April 2016 to launch a research-based publication on Danish-French artistic cooperation in the Danish absolutism era.
The queen and Prince Henrik received the finished book of work on Amalienborg on Tuesday 6 June 2017"
Modtagelse af bogværk | Kongehuset

Today the Regen Couple have been married for 50 years and there are quite a few articles about them in the papers today.
Here are a number of quotes from QMII about being married.
Dronningen om ægteskab: Klumper i grøden, sammen for altid og nej til skilsmisse - Indland

"There can be little lumps in the porridge sometimes, but you get through them together.
Of course there were lots of differences, which we discovered over time, thing which each of us considered - that's just how you do it - and where the other one didn't considered that way to do it at all. But that must be considered lumps in the porridge, because yes, the solidity between us is strong".

"We had both grown up in a home, where it was a matter of course that you stayed together and that things had to work out, also when it wasn't always easy. So that I think was fundamental for both of us - that you married for life and married to be together. And there can be times where everything overall is simple and times where it's less than easy".

To the question: Is Your marriage also an intellectual partnership?
QMII: "Yes, it sure is. It has been beneficial to me. There is always something exciting to talk about. We've never been bored together".

"Being married is not just a great joy and a happiness that fills you. It's also a task for life. A piece of work - but a task, which you are not alone in carrying out. You are two to create - you are two to suffer - you are two to cope - you are two to tolerate and to carry through. Two? I usually say - that you are three: You, me and us! That's the symphony of three, which must grow strong through a marriage".

- QMII is a very wise lady, but her flowery expressions sure can be a challenge to translate! :lol:

If you would like to follow their wedding "live" (albeit with a 50 year delay) look here, in four hours after this was posted: https://www.dr.dk/tv/live/dr1

Last edited:

Unfortunately not allowed to watch outside of Denmark.

:previous: Oh well, a pity.
I guess the whole thing will surface in the archive again.

Now, I bet you all can't fall asleep at night wondering where they have sailed to. Oh yes, you do, just admit it. :D

Jyllands Posten is on the track: Regentparret gået i land på lille ø - hvor er de på vej hen? - TV 2

They were spotted Thursday evening at 19.00 when Dannebrog sailed into the small Swedish port of Karlshamn. Here PH went for a stroll on the quay. before they sailed on a short while later.
(I wonder if they picked up someone incognito, or put someone ashore).

But Dannebrog has entered the Baltic Sea. At 10.00 Saturday they moored off the small Swedish island of Stora Karlsö off the west coast of the island of Gotland. Here they went for a guided tour of the island and had a picnic before departing at 14.00.

I can't resist adding this one on the go.

Here QMII and PH are sharing a joint: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVHP3HrBVZl/

Okay, perhaps not actually smoking silly weed. It's locally grown tobacco, which they sample. Apparently to QMII's taste, because PH asks to have a whiff as well, but: "You don't smoke, I do". - "Yes, but I want to try anyway". - So, in my eyes at least, QMII is somewhat reluctantly letting go. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing like sailing away on a golden honeymoon and loving every minute of it.

This is a couple that is very happy with each other still regardless of the little ups and downs and the little quirks over the years. I especially loved how QM described themselves as a trio. You, me and us.

Many, many more happy years for the happy couple I hope. :D

A gallery with the Regent Couple and their grandchildren: KGL. GULDBRYLLUP: 39 billeder af regentparret med alle deres dejlige børnebørn | BILLED-BLADET

It's clear in some of the photos that while QMII is obviously fond of her grandchildren, she was pretty awkward about holding them when they were small. While PH is a natural with children.

A number of royal experts - of all sorts - have commented on the quiet marking of the Regent Couple's golden anniversary, pointing out that it is unusual to be this low-key.

Kongehuseksperter svinger hammeren: 'Det er synd for dronningen, synd for danskerne' | BT Danmark - www.bt.dk
In this article two of them believe this low-key celebration is very much PH's wish, because the usual style of QMII is party and colors and celebrating with the people.
They feel sorry for her - and the Danes who would like to celebrate the Regent Couple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Muhler! The Norwegian royal expert Kjell Arne Totland said the following when someone argued that King Harald and Queen Sonja might choose to celebrate privately next year, such as Margrethe and Henrik: ''Men situasjonen er jo ikke helt parallell. Når ellers så festglade Margrethe ikke feirer, er det mye pga Henriks uforutsigbarhet" (In English: ''But the situation is not completely parallel. When the otherwise so pary-glad Margrethe doesn't celebrate, it's a lot because of Henrik's unpredictability.'')

And I agree with that. If they had desided to celebrate, then one could have come in a situation where Henrik suddenly decided not to attend.

Last edited:
:previous: Yeah, that's true.

I would have liked at least a balcony scene at Amalienborg, and then they could have celebrated in private. They are after all not that young anymore.

But of course PH could suddenly decide to "fall ill" and QMII would be standing alone on the balcony...
I have previously wondered whether PH is in the earlier stages of say Alzheimer or something similar, which would explain his sometimes erratic behavior and his retirement. - But he seems to be both active and fine and the many public appearances he has made does not suggest to me, that he is not of a sound mind. (Except for his little obsession about not being king, and his, again IMO, extraordinary selfishness in letting down his wife).
I know Alzheimer can manifest itself in many ways, also in reverting to a childhood-like stubbornness. But as far as I understand that's more prevalent in the later stages and by then there is no doubt that he mind is deteriorating. That however seems not to be the case.
So based on that I don't think he is suffering from anything like that and that can only lead me to conclude that he is and certainly has been very childish.

Physically he appears to be still at least fairly well. He was able to party at Bakken for several hours very recently, without problems. And he doesn't mind being the center of attention when he is out and about.
But would he have the strength for being celebrated for many hours?

I don't know, could that be the reason for going so low key? I really don't know.

Today the Regen Couple have been married for 50 years and there are quite a few articles about them in the papers today.
Here are a number of quotes from QMII about being married.
Dronningen om ægteskab: Klumper i grøden, sammen for altid og nej til skilsmisse - Indland

"There can be little lumps in the porridge sometimes, but you get through them together.
Of course there were lots of differences, which we discovered over time, thing which each of us considered - that's just how you do it - and where the other one didn't considered that way to do it at all. But that must be considered lumps in the porridge, because yes, the solidity between us is strong".

"We had both grown up in a home, where it was a matter of course that you stayed together and that things had to work out, also when it wasn't always easy. So that I think was fundamental for both of us - that you married for life and married to be together. And there can be times where everything overall is simple and times where it's less than easy".

To the question: Is Your marriage also an intellectual partnership?
QMII: "Yes, it sure is. It has been beneficial to me. There is always something exciting to talk about. We've never been bored together".

"Being married is not just a great joy and a happiness that fills you. It's also a task for life. A piece of work - but a task, which you are not alone in carrying out. You are two to create - you are two to suffer - you are two to cope - you are two to tolerate and to carry through. Two? I usually say - that you are three: You, me and us! That's the symphony of three, which must grow strong through a marriage".

- QMII is a very wise lady, but her flowery expressions sure can be a challenge to translate! :lol:

If you would like to follow their wedding "live" (albeit with a 50 year delay) look here, in four hours after this was posted: https://www.dr.dk/tv/live/dr1
I so appreciate the difficulties of HM Margrethe's Danish translations, but you, Muhler, have done a stellar job! Mange tak and on to the next 50 years:flowers:

How lovely that the crew were given commemorative medals by the Queen and Prince Henrik in honour of the great occasion. I think that Queen Margrethe, knowing that there have been many parties, many celebrations in the past, just opted for a quiet cruise this time. It sounds lovely, picnics, calm seas, little islands, cigarettes! The only drawback is that the Danish people can't join in and give their congratulations on this anniversary, and that's a shame. However, there are the shared pictures.

Last edited:
After Monday's celebration with their family, the Queen and Henrik celebrated the day on the Dannebrog and shared some pictures
Øjebliksbilleder fra guldbryllupsdagen | Kongehuset

they gave the crew a commemorative medal
Erindringsmedaille | Kongehuset

I like this picture of them with the anniversary arch and shield
http://kongehuset.dk/sites/default/files/styles/slideshow/public/img_0155.jpg?itok=LsFRwTZD

Were the medals just given to the crew or did any members of the RF receive them too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom