Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 5: November 2015 - July 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Henrik attended the opening of the exhibition "The Eye in the Mask" at the Carl-Henning Pedersen & Else Alfelts Museum in Herning yesterday afternoon, April 20.

The exhibition consists of a collection of ethnographic masks and mask motifs loaned by Prince Henrik and it shows works by Carl-Henning Pedersen, Asger Jorn and Ernest Mancoba.

** aoh.dk gallery: Fotos: Pris Henrik besøgte kunstudstilling **

Prins Henrik udtaler sig om sit skrantende helbred: 'Jeg mister balancen indimellem' | BT Royale - www.bt.dk

At a recent event in Aarhus PH was observed having to hold on tight to the rostrum when he was to give a little speech.
He has also been observed several times having to rely on his adjutant or security for balance.

At the event PH said: "Sorry for holding on to the microphone but once in a while I loose the balance. It's not because I eat too much".

In an interview in 2015 he said: "I think I'm well. I'm tired and get tired more quickly due to my age. 81 is a ripe age. But apart from that I try experience as much as I can".

QMII then interjected: "I think your energy is very well, if you ask me".

- I'm in no doubt he's getting more frail as a result of his age, but it's also my impression that he is a little fond of pointing out how old and frail he is. He started that some 8-10 years ago. - It's after all nice when people feel sorry for you, right? ;):p

Last week Queen Margrethe viewed the work in progress at the excavation site of chamber graves from the later part of the Viking Age at Fregerslev south of Hørning:

** Pic ** fb gallery **

Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:

I see QMII is very much her son's mother... :p
Or perhaps she parked her hands in her pockets to suppress an urge to jump in and start digging herself.

It's good she has more time to visit archeological digs. Thanks to a virtual army of amateur archeologists armed with affordable metal detectors, the finds are pouring up from the ground with one hoard after the being found in these years.

- Wonder how they got her dragged away from the site? :ermm:
Perhaps her adjutant walked backwards towards the car holding a Thor's hammer in gold in front of her?

I love your sense of humor Muhler!

It really is refreshing to see someone who has a very full and busy life being a monarch being able to participate in things that are truly of interest to her personally. I bet digging in the ruins and piecing together ancient history would have been a big part of her life and perhaps even a career if her destiny had been different.

I love her boots. They're totally and uniquely "Queen Daisy" boots. :D

I was about to say I love her wellies (which for those of you who don't know is a slang word for wellington boots in the UK - don't know if anywhere else uses that word?)

Love the image Muhler has now conjured up in my mind of the Queen being tempted by her adjutant and a Thor's hammer in gold, lol!

Indeed, a very happy Queen. Love her boots. You can tell she is in her element

A bright, cheery way of dressing is something I very much associate with Queen Margrethe. My sis in Chicago just bought a pair of shoes and sent me a picture of them. First thing I said was "those look like shoes Queen Daisy would wear". Didn't surprise me one bit as Queen Margrethe is her very favorite queen and admires her to the moon and back. :D

Anyone who loves life and lives it happily is an inspiration to us all in my book.

Right back at you Osipi!As you can tell from my signature etc she is my favourite Queen (even though I feel a bit disloyal to my own monarch saying that).

I don't post very often on the boards but I'm retiring at the end of June so I'm planning on being a bit more active then. Watch this space as they say!

Only QMII can wear such boots without anyone battering an eyelid. :lol:

She was on the job today Dronning Margrethe overrakte nye faner | BILLED-BLADET

Inaugurating two new colours. at 10.00 at Skive barracks, and then back to Kastellet near Amalienborg to do the same thing again at 14.00. The two locations are literally in both ends of the country, so she must have hitched a ride on a helicopter.

Three nails are hammered into the pole, securing the colour. One for the Queen (Monarch), one for the country and one for the unit that is going to use the new colour.
All colours in DK are regular Dannebrogs with the monogram/crest of the unit and usually also the name of the unit. There are no special regimental colours like in other countries, where they use the national flag alongside the regimental colour.

Having inaugurated the new colour the old one will be discarded according to the rules of discarding a regular Dannebrog.
It will be neatly folded and placed on a clean fire to be burned.

It's a huge no no to put a Dannebrog into say a bag and put it in the garbage can for disposal! And most who see or hear about it will be feel very offended.

- Did I ever tell you that there are two things we are pretty nuts about in DK: Dannebrog and candles. :)

:previous: First, I have to say I was somewhat surprised if not shocked by the restrained, almost boring army khaki coloured jacket Queen Margrethe was wearing at the dig. I didn't suspect for a moment that she had such a drab and boring article of clothing in her wardrobe. But I have decided she must have borrowed it, after all when I looked at her gumboots I smiled . . . now there's QM!

QM at the presentation of new colours looked wonderful although I think the Teletubbies' hat was more interesting that the reinvented 1940's model she was wearing. But, more significantly, I noticed how unsteady her gait is as she reviewed the troops. I know she has significant back problems and lives with significant pain. This made her engagement all the more significant and endearing. I bet she put her comfy shoes back on in the car on the way home, she earned it.

Only QMII can wear such boots without anyone battering an eyelid. :lol:

She was on the job today Dronning Margrethe overrakte nye faner | BILLED-BLADET

Inaugurating two new colours. at 10.00 at Skive barracks, and then back to Kastellet near Amalienborg to do the same thing again at 14.00. The two locations are literally in both ends of the country, so she must have hitched a ride on a helicopter.

Three nails are hammered into the pole, securing the colour. One for the Queen (Monarch), one for the country and one for the unit that is going to use the new colour.
All colours in DK are regular Dannebrogs with the monogram/crest of the unit and usually also the name of the unit. There are no special regimental colours like in other countries, where they use the national flag alongside the regimental colour.

Having inaugurated the new colour the old one will be discarded according to the rules of discarding a regular Dannebrog.
It will be neatly folded and placed on a clean fire to be burned.

It's a huge no no to put a Dannebrog into say a bag and put it in the garbage can for disposal! And most who see or hear about it will be feel very offended.

- Did I ever tell you that there are two things we are pretty nuts about in DK: Dannebrog and candles. :)

Mange tak as always! Yes, all countries have special rules about flags, but candles and Denmark is indeed special...those long winter nights and hygge!:flowers:

You are no doubt right, Marg, some hippie must have swapped QMII real coat with this drab one. :p

Looking at the video it's clear that the unsteady gait we have seen from QMII recently isn't just a passing thing or because her back hurts more than usual. - She is getting older.
But her mind is still sharp though.

:previous: Sharp as a tack. Interesting really, Henrik has always been temperamental, Prince Philip somewhat of a martinet, Elizabeth a life for the ages and nobody's fool. None of them seems to suffer from signs of dementia or Alzheimer's.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any other royal that started to show any early signs, say from 60 onward, and few of the long-lived showed any either.

Queen Victoria's genetic gift? Who knows, but it's kind of weird that not one major monarch or spouse throughout Europe or the UK has been seen to fall victim to the ravages of age.

Last edited:
Last edited:
You are no doubt right, Marg, some hippie must have swapped QMII real coat with this drab one. :p

Looking at the video it's clear that the unsteady gait we have seen from QMII recently isn't just a passing thing or because her back hurts more than usual. - She is getting older.
But her mind is still sharp though.

Do we know just what exactly is wrong with her back and causing the pain?

Do we know just what exactly is wrong with her back and causing the pain?

No, but her mother suffered badly from osteoporosis. And she's had her knees replaced. - Being a heavy smoker doesn't exactly help either I imagine.
I've noticed it's gotten markedly worse since she had to give up her weekly ballet-training a few years ago.

Perhaps someone with medical knowledge can offer a theory?

PH went to the town of Ringkøbing yesterday to unveil one of his sculptures: Prins Henrik overraskede med nyt navn | BILLED-BLADET

The sculpture is actually called Miss Fredensborg, but as PH said in his speech: "You are of course free to call it Miss Ringkøbing".
Being the center of attention, PH was in very fine form. ;)

Ringkøbing has a number of sculptures which are changed regularly and now one by PH is in use.
Personally I like his style.

Here is a nice big gallery: Foto: Se Prins Henrik i Ringkøbing | Ringkøbing | dagbladetringskjern.dk

And a video: Video: Se Prins Henrik overdrage "Miss Ringkøbing" | Ringkøbing | dagbladetringskjern.dk

After the unveiling PH read aloud from his poetry at the townhall and here a super-royalist got PH to sign her copy, while showering the DRF with well-wishes on the recent anniversaries and birthdays. To which PH replied: "I can tell you are well-informed".
Anette fik sin kongelige autograf | Ringkøbing | dagbladetringskjern.dk

No, but her mother suffered badly from osteoporosis. And she's had her knees replaced. - Being a heavy smoker doesn't exactly help either I imagine.
I've noticed it's gotten markedly worse since she had to give up her weekly ballet-training a few years ago.

Perhaps someone with medical knowledge can offer a theory?

Thanks for that. Old age doesn't come itself as the saying goes.

Being someone that has had bad knees all my life with multiple surgeries, I can attest to knees creating back problems. The surgeries worked but as I grew older, the knees and back were the first thing to start causing me problems.

With HM, from her I get the feeling that its the spirit that is more than willing but the body doest protest too much and the body doesn't compromise with the spirit very well as we grow older. Most likely its her ballet training that has kept her in better shape than she normally would have been without that exercise to strengthen and build her legs to support her.

I don't think that smoking played a major part in it but smoking does affect all parts of the body sooner or later. Its a nasty habit I wish I had never taken on young in life as kicking the nicotine habit is harder to kick than a heroin addiction. I'd like to see HM switch over to electronic cigarettes and reduce the damage the tar can do to the body.

And now for one of those things that just happens, when you are a royal on the job.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #19, 2017.
Written by our armed forces reporter, Trine Larsen.

Recently QMII inaugurated two new colours. At the second inauguration, which took place at Kastellet in Copenhagen, QMII had a little accident with her shoe.
It is a well-known fact that cobbled stones and women's shoes is a poor match...
So while everybody was standing to attention QMII's shoe got caught and she dropped it. Leaving her standing there, while no doubt some of the soldiers present swayed between breaking ranks and helping the Queen or remain standing to attention.
Fortunately the weather was dry and QMII's adjutant and the commanding officer was right behind her, ready to help. QMII just laughed at the incident.

- And fortunately she didn't trip!

You can see the incident here: https://app.box.com/s/we8ntrabc8fyv6vim3ddt2kcotqbdyqr
https://app.box.com/s/4z9pxrfx7onkbhcbrmjw8fk4c2kf7ole

:previous: I think what saved her was that the shoes are excellently made and have a very low heel which is designed to give the illusion of a higher heel. Having said that, my own mother caught her low heel in cobblestones outside the Town Hall here and broke her ankle. Stuff happens. Thinking about it off the top of my head, I remember Princess Mary, Sophie and Catherine have each had to wrestle their shoes out of grass or crevices with or without the aid of a gentleman to stay upright! :ermm:

:previous: Thanks, JessRulz. :flowers:

That's actually a god picture. I should like to see the original photo.

It is indeed a nice picture of the couple. Hope we get more official photos on June 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom