Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 4: Jan. 2013 - November 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dronning Margrethe bliver fejret i Aarhus | Billed Bladet

QMII will celebrate her birthday in Aarhus at Marselisborg Manor this year.
Her B-day is just prior to Easter and the Regent Couple usually go to Aarhus during Easter.
So it will be interesting to see whether M&F will be there. But I believe they will. They'll simply make a pit-stop celebrating farmor before going on to trend.

As for Joachim and our Marie. Schackenborg is some 2½-3 hours away, even with two but-I-have-to-go-now children in the car.

:previous: Thanks, Iceflower.

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't QMII worn that outfit before?

:previous:

Thanks Muhler,

Lovely with Margrethe being celebrated in Aarhus this year :flowers:

So it will be interesting to see whether M&F will be there. But I believe they will. They'll simply make a pit-stop celebrating farmor before going on to trend.

I may remember wrong, but haven't M+F and children celebrated Easter with Margrethe+Henrik the last many years (except for 2011 with the twins being newborn). I can't remember how Joachim and family's Easter traditions are.

Last edited by a moderator:
The court confirms that the Regent Couple will go on a statvisit to China for six days, 23-28. April.
They will not stay longer this time as private tourists, as Benedikte turns 70 on 29. April and the will be celebrated in Berleburg.

Normally a statevisit only takes place once in every reign and the Regent Couple went to China in 1979, if not the first royals to do so after the revolution, then certainly among the very first.
But they have been invited by the Chinese President - and more importantly, both DK and China are interested in cementing the trade relations. - So they are smiling broadly at the Foreign Ministry, The Ministry for Commerce and the Ministry for Finance.

:previous:Nice. :flowers:
I think Frederik and Mary went recently to China...late 2012 or 2013?
So maybe their trip gave "fruit" to a State Visit;)

And another upcoming event.

QMII will take part in the D-Day commemorations in Normandy this year.

It is actually the first time, because this year, 70 years on, DK has been acknowledged as one of the Allied nations. Predominantly due to the effort of Danish sailors during D-Day and otherwise during the war.
There have been cosiderable doubt as to whether DK during WWI was an ally or a vassal state of Nazi-Germany, or just as country trying to survive.

If I am to be brutally honest, the doubt is very much justified, at least until the summer of 1943, where the Parliament resigned and the policy of co-operation with Germany ended. The attempted deportation of the jews was also the final straw for the population as a whole.
So you can say that from 1943 DK became a member of the Allied club, but not before, not in my eyes.

We have been through it before here on TRF, so very briefly:
The DK policy was to lie low and hope the war would bypass us as it did, during WWI. It almost succeeded. DK was occupied almost as an afterthought and at the express order of Hitler.
It was cynically decided that a token resistance should be put up, before surrendering. It was impossible to resist the might of the German military machine anyway. That policy cost the lives of sixteen Danish soldiers and a couple of costums officers and a number of German soldiers.
With that it was shown, foreign politically speaking, that DK was protesting the occupation.
During the first years of the war, the Parliament actively promoted co-operation with Nazi-germany, actively promoted Danes to join the fight on the Eastern Front in Waffen SS.
DK also joined the anti-comintern Pact aimed at the Soviet Union.
In return DK enjoyed autonomy - and profited quite well on the occupation, thank you very much! Export to Germany boomed, not least agricultural products and quite a number volunteered to work in Germany and were paid very well - some were forced though, including a great uncle of mine, who came home with a nervous breakdown due to the allied bombings. But that happened later on in the war.
The resistance became active, very active indeed. But that was predominantly after 1943, until then must Danes, more less grudgingly, lived a live and let live existance with the German occupiers.
Was it cynical? You bet!
Was it wise? Well, if you look at the result. I.e. minimizing suffering and carnage in DK, then the answer must be yes.
Was it honorable? Absolutely not!

As a Dane, now in 2014, looking back my left half of my brain can understand the mindset and the reasoning. The more emotional right half of my brain is deeply ashamed.
The only and perhaps best consolation, is that practically all other occupied countries have a similar ambivalent story. But few have been willing to talk too much about it.
The fact is that it would have been impossible for Germany and partly Italy to occupy most of Europe and at the same time fight on two fronts without a very active co-operation by many in the occupied countries. In some cases a very willing co-operation! Waffen SS had little problems finding volunteers willing to fight the Communists even among Britons. Britischer Freikorps was very small and insignificant but it might be an indication of what would have happened had the Germans managed to cross the Channel.
And in other countries partisan movements were more busy fighting each other than fighting the occupiers. In countries like Jugoslavia, Greece and Northern Italy it was more akin to civil war than resistance.
It wasn't black and white. That came later on. Partly helped by a kind of collective amnesia.

Anyway, so this year it has been decided that DK - "well, okay, you were an ally too".

Last edited:
:previous:thank you Muhler, for that bit of history:flowers:

I will be nice seeing the Queen there

My Great Aunt [who lived on the Norfolk coast of England] married a Dane [just before the outbreak of WW11. His sister [in her late teens] remained, with her family in Copenhagen and had some sympathy for, and vague contacts with the Resistance. She told of one time when notes regarding the hiding places of Jews threatened with deportation to the Death Camps would have been discovered but for her [quick-wittedly] shoving them into a plant pot.

She [and the rest of her family were held in grave suspicion by the collaborating authorities, principally because the had a family member who had married an 'enemy'.. she said VE {Victory in Europe} Day was one of the happiest of her existence, as the relief was overwhelming !

So when i see the Queen of Denmark at the upcoming commemoration i will think of her, and all her brave compatriots who risked everything to save their fellow men from the ghastly fate planned for them by this most evil of occupiers, and not of the many,many supine collaborators of which Muhler speaks.

BB informs us that Prince Henrik went to a circus show while in Aarhus: Prins Henrik morede sig i cirkus | Billed Bladet
And had a very merry time.

No grandchildren, so we may safely assume they only dropped by on the birthday.

The circuses visiting Aarhus are always placed on the beach, very close to Marselisborg. It also means that the elephants are marched out into the water, when they need to be washed. And that's something they thoroughly enjoy on a hot day!

QMII and the Prince Consort have now returned to Copenhagen. I saw them at the Central Station

10308197_10152159270093198_282921980773506877_n.jpg

10277428_10152159270048198_417483732776279792_n.jpg

:previous:what wonderful pictures. thank you for sharing. :flowers:
How nice that the Danes get to see their royal family out and about.

PH was out having fun in Tivoli last night: Julie Steincke i Grøften med prins Henrik | Billed Bladet
As a member of the Tivoli Club of 1868.

Along with a number of other merry ladies and gentlemen they dined at the pretty pricey restaurant in Tivoli, Grøften. (Which actually means The Ditch).
Here he is seen with his table partner, Julie Steincke.

- Each year PH supports the two main fairgrounds in Copenhagen: Tivoli and Bakken. - It's a hard job, but someone's gotta do it. :D:cheers:

Bakken (The Hill) was, and some would claim still is..., an amusement ground for the more common people...and as such the entertainment there was more, shall we say lewd and rowdy. While the more dignified citizens went to Tivoli.
Nowadays, there isn't that big a difference reputation wise. Tivoli is very much aimed at the tourists - and so are the prices... while Bakken is more affordable.

On May 6, 2014 the Denmark-America Foundation celebrated its 100th anniversary at Rosenborg Castle in Copenhagen in presence of Queen Margrethe:

** Pic ** kongehuset.dk gallery **

And yesterday, May 11, Queen Margrethe attended a commemoration service on the occasion of the Bible Society's 200th anniversary at the Church of Our Lady in Copenhagen.

** Pic ** kongehuset.dk gallery **

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #20, 2014.
Written by Trine Larsen.

Prince Henrik attended the Spring Session of the Tivoli Club of 1868 in Tivoli Copenhagen recently.

One of the criterias for even being a member is that you must have a good sense of humour, so it was a merry gathering in restaurant Grøften. Among thme were also the mayor of Copenhagen, Frank Jensen, who was presented with a small cask of wine, in honor of the mayor having started his career as a bingo-host...

Inbetween singing and appropriately silly traditions there was also time to chat. And PH had a good chat with his table partner, Julie Steincke. She's a singer, I believe. So good in fact that he invited her for a cup of coffee afterwards at another restaurant after which the separated. PH took a short stroll through the Tivoli garden, confiding to our reporter: "I'll have to try the roller coatser another day, perhaps with my grandchildren".
(Notice that it was crawling with press and people in Tivoli, yet no one has even hinted at the word flirt).
The sprechstallmeister or lead singer if you like, was Flemming Krøll and he and PH sang a duet to "Oh When The Saint".

And for those spring chickens among us who don't know that merry song, here it is:
Louis Armstrong: When the saints go marching in - YouTube

:previous: I bet she is actually going to read them - and with delight!
The new translation of the sagas will interest her a lot and I also bet she has previously been doing some study of them - in Icelandic.

Icelandic being the language that today is the closest to how the Vikings actually spoke.

They also got a very famous poet, Þórarinn Eldjárn, the son of a former president of Iceland, to write her an ancient form of praise poem that was used in the days of the vikings called "dróttkvæði" or "drotkvæde" in Danish, the poem was named "Margrétarlof" or "Margrethe praise". :flowers:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom