Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 4: Jan. 2013 - November 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Queen Margrethe, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt attended the inauguration of the new UN City in Copenhagen today, July 4, 2013.

The new UN City in Copenhagen consists of state of the art office facilities and a high-tech warehouse in Copenhagen's north harbour district.

Queen Margrethe was seen leaving Marselisborg Palace by helicopter for the flight to Copenhagen:

** ppe gallery ** go.tv2.dk gallery ** kongehuset.dk: Indvielse af ny FN by **

** b.dk gallery ** demotix.com gallery: Inauguration of the new UN City in Copenhagen **

Last edited:
Summary of an article in Billed Bladet #27, 2013.
Vikingedronningen - The Viking Queen.
Written by our medieval reporter Lisbeth Grube.

The National Museum has opened a new exhibtion Viking. One of the main attractions is a 37 meter ship, (*) which was excavated in Roskilde Fjord in 1997. Needless to say that this was more than interesting to QMII and she did look very delighted, smiling from ear to ear in a red and white dotted dress, straight from the flower power era.
She certainly to her time enjoying the tour of the exhibition asking loads of questions. One og the items was a replica of a Viking armour, complete with chainmail and helmet, which visitors can put on. QMII declined however, but she was very interested in the manufacture of the equipment.

But QMII still has back problems. Her adjutant very discreetly carried a folding chair around, so that QMII could sit down if she needed to. The article isn't clear about whether she actually used it.
When she left she exclaimed to our reporter: "It was wonderful".

(*) The ship is the longest Viking ship found so far. At 37 meters it's pretty big! The length equivalent to a medium sized late 1700's frigate.
The article doesn't say whether it was longship = a raider, or a large freighter.

Last edited:

Prince Henrik has attended the 6th of July Festival in Fredericia today, July 6 (every year the fortress town celebrates the historic victory in 1849 with a procession of soldiers in authentic uniforms, gun salutes and other festivities).

As Patron of the National Committee for Renovation of Ramparts Henrik has inaugurated a new 3-pound bronze cannon on the Princess's Bastion in Fredericia.

** lokalavisen.dk gallery: Se billederne: Hvem ligner Landsoldaten mest? ** ppe gallery **

Last edited:

Yesterday evening, July 18, Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik attended the Verdensballet 2013 (World Ballet 2013) in Rønde.

What a delicate and graceful ballerina in pic 1!

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** dagens.dk gallery **

Thursday, 22 August holds Royal Couple Summer Concert at Chateau de Cayx, France

CP Frederik is regent from Aug. 6th. to Aug. 19th. I suppose that Prince Joachim will take over from there.

viv

Don't QMII and Prince Henrik have a joint exhibition of their are (paintings, sculptures etc) opening soon somewhere in Denmark? Will there be an online version of the exhibit?

Hi - it's in Aarhus Oct 2013 - Feb 2014 and I love the title 'Pas De Deux Royal' as it references both the Queen's love of ballet and the fact that Prince Henrik is French, as well as it being a joint exhibition.
This is a link to a news article: http://cphpost.dk/culture-news/royal-couple-display-their-artistic-creations-joint-exhibition
and to the English version of the website of the art museum - it's listed as a forthcoming exhibition. There's no more details yet but I'm sure there will be Exhibitions
It looks like they are producing a book to go with the exhibition and I'm hoping they'll do an english version as I doubt I'll be able to get over to see it. The Arken museum of modern art did an english version of the book they produced of 'The Essence of Colour Exhibition' of the art of QMII for her jubilee last year and I was able to buy it online so here's hoping....
Angela

Queen Margrethe has opened the exhibition "Denmark and the Russian Empire 1600-1900" at Frederiksborg Castle this afternoon, August 29, 2013.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** sn.dk gallery **

:previous:
PPE gallery

HM the Queen present at the opening of the special exhibition 'Denmark and the Tsars Russia 1600-1900' at. 15.00.
kongehuset.dk

Last edited:

Yesterday, Augst 30, Queen Margrethe attended the inauguration of a new extension and a new sculpture of the Aarhus State Gymnasium.

** BB: Dronning Margrethe afslørede kunst ** translation **

** byggeteknik.dk: Dronningen indviede det ny Århus Statsgymnasium ** translation **

And in the evening Margrethe attended the opening of the Aarhus Festival at Aarhus Concert Hall.

** BB: Dronningen satte liv i festugen i Aarhus ** translation **

** jyllands-posten.dk: Dronningen indbød til fest i Aarhus ** translation **

Thanks Dazzling & Iceflower. :flowers:

:previous:
PPE gallery

HM the Queen present at the opening of the special exhibition 'Denmark and the Tsars Russia 1600-1900' at. 15.00.
kongehuset.dk

Let's have a look of some of the pics, both of you kindly posted.
sn.dk
The Danish kings and Russian tsars showered each other with gifts, especially before 1660, when DK lost what is now south western Sweden and thereby lost the absolute control of the access to the Baltic Sea.
Russia was of course interested in being on good terms with Denmark and thereby ensure free access thorugh the Danish straits - and also annoy Sweden as much as possible, because the relationship between those two countries was often strained, culminating in the Great Nordic War.
Denmark was on the other hand very interested in maintaining good trade relations in the Baltics and not least with Russia - and also annoy Sweden as much as possible until Sweden was wackhed seriously on the head at Poltava, which was the culmination of the Great Nordic War.

sn.dk
In the 1640's Christian IV's son, Valdemar married into the Russian Tsar family and he brough appropriate gifts! DK had wisely stayed out of the 30 Year War and profited a lot on that, thank you very much. But alas we ended up getting involved in that mess anyway.

sn.dk
A fantastically lavish Flora Danica set was supposed to have been a a gift to Ekatarina the Great, but she died, and it remained here in DK.

sn.dk
Tsar Alexander III was often in DK with his Danish wife, enjoying the more informal setting and being able to walk around without any particular risk of having bombs thrown at him.

sn.dk
A necklace with Faberge Eggs. Just a little thing to have around your neck while tending to the flowers in the garden I suppose...

sn.dk
A little present from Russia for Christian IX's golden wedding anniversary. Very useful as a champagne cooler.

A remarkable exhibition. Would be worth seeing if I had the opportunity.

Yesterday, Augst 30, Queen Margrethe attended the inauguration of a new extension and a new sculpture of the Aarhus State Gymnasium.

** BB: Dronning Margrethe afslørede kunst ** translation **

Well, if you know what it is, would you mind telling me? :unsure:

BB is up.

Last edited:
Well, if you know what it is, would you mind telling me? :unsure:

Here is a guess. He is a trained geologist, his works seem to focus on landforms and when you look at his other works you can see that his technique is to add details bit by bit in a very painterly way. Most of his work is painted. His earlier sculptures were made of brick and focused on architectural patterns. Now he is doing these large bronzes which seem very much to be built in layered daubs. His newer sculptures do resemble what they represent - hands, faces, doorways.

In this case, I am guessing that in the large block there are two seated figures facing one another, one with legs legs tucked under their chair and their bodies kinda headless, or their heads elongated. If that's a metaphor for sitting at work at school desks, it would fit the setting.
As to the blob at the right? There is a spiral going up that blob - could be a snake or a landform? And the lumpy base is Kirkeby landform for sure.
I found no photos of the other side of the sculpture. Heaven knows what that looks like. ;)

See: https://www.google.com/search?q=Per...IKW2sQS9m4Ao&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=659
for images of his work and this youtube vieo of him not explaining his work :lol:
Per Kirkeby: Paintings and Sculpture - YouTube

Thank you for your competent reply, AdmirerUS :flowers:
I learned something today.

Thank you, Iceflower. :flowers:

There are 2.6 million households in DK. This windmill park can supply power for up to 400.000 households.
A similar windmill park off Esbjerg, inaugurated by Frederik a few years ago, have a similar capacity.
That means that allowing for fluctuations in the weather and need for energy at any given moment, which can vary greatly, each of these two parks supply permanently 5% of the total energy consumption of the 2.6 million households, for a total of 10 %.
The energy surplus produced is sold on the international electricity grid.

And there are plans for more similar sized windmill parks, and the existing parks will be continually expanded.
DK is already selfsufficient in regards to energy, but the plan is the ensure that, once the oilwells in the North Sea dry out, DK will remain selfsufficient. Windpower being a vital part of that. - Fortunately it's always windy here.

Such windmill parks are not particularly pretty to look at, but located out to sea they are more efficient and conveniently out of the way. - An added bonus is that the foundations serve as very excellent breeding grounds for fish.

Windmills today are still inefficient, comparable to a Ford-T car, - but in a generation from now...

BTW. A copy of this park will be costructed off the coast of USA.

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik attended the inauguration of the Anholt Offshore Wind Farm today, September 4, 2013.

** tv2oj.dk video **

** BB: Anholt Vindmøllepark blev indviet af majestæten ** translation **

** lokalavisen.dk: Fotogalleri: Dronningen trykkede på den røde knap ** translation **

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #36, 2013.
I bliver aldrig glemt - You will never be forgotten.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

On 29th August QMII and the PM, Helle Thorning, went to a ceremony at Mindelunden (The Remembrance Grove) near Copenhagen, where 129 resitance fighters were executed by the Germans during WWII.
Here they both laid down a wreath and QMII said: "Your struggle will always be remembered, we owe you a big thank you".

At Mindelunden 850 resistance fighters who were killed as well as 2.000 sailors who lost their lives sailing in Allied service are honored. - And then there were the civillian casualties...

But it was also a commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the ending of Danish collaboration with Germany.

Up until 1943 Denmark had had political autonomy, although being militarily occupied. Even the military was still in place, but very much reduced to almost the very basic.
By then the tide of war was turning, Danish co-operation with Germany was to put it mildly strained and sabotage was becoming pretty commonplace.
German meddling in Danish affairs was also becoming more heavy handed. One of the decisive factors for the breakdown was a German demand for introducing the death penalty for sabotage. Capital punishment in peacetime had been abolished in DK since the early 30's and the government had absolutely no intention of executing their own citizens for sabotage against an occupying force. So the government and the Parliament resigned in August August 1943. From then on DK was administered by civil servants.

On August 29th the Germans moved in on the Danish military in order to neutralise that threath to it's back. That led to sporadic fightings all over the country, also around Amalienborg. (In fact there were fightings around Amalienborg three times during the war. In 1940, 1943 and 1944). 23 Danish servicemen and two cilvillians were killed that day.

From then on resistance increased massively, especially after the Germans attempted to round up the Danish Jews during the following months, but that's different and very fascinating story.

The collaboration policy, even though it actually saved the country from calamity is something that is still an embarrassment to this day, akin to the feelings in France of the Vichy government.
There has been an attempt in post-war DK to paint DK in a more favorable light, but de facto Denmark only genuinely joined the Allied cause in August 1943.
That very cynical policy is of couse debatable because we know what happened later on, in 1940 they didn't. Nazi-Germany was after all victorious well into 1942.
It is in any way a fascinating period because in recent years so many new angles have been added and topics that were previously taboo are now debated, making the whole period, for all parties involved, so much more nuanced.

But an embarrassment, that it is.
The collaboration policy during WWII led directly to the establishment of the Home Guard, which Mary is a member of. The battle cry so to speak being: "Never again a 9th April"! - 9th April 1940 being the day DK was occupied.
The Home Guard pledged itself to keep on fighting despite the politicians and that also lead to the enthusiastic support of the Home Guard, which constitute between one and two percent of the whole population. (I believe the current figure is some 1.3 %) Most with their personal weapon and ammunition at home.
In my time in the Army Home Guard the late 80's I stored my assault rifle and 100 rounds of ammunition at home and we had basic plans for going "under ground" if, or as most of us were convinced, when the Russians came.

Last edited:
Google Translate article and picture of the Queens event today at the inauguration of the Monument area in Jelling, September 10, 2013.

Last edited:
VIDEO Dronningen indvier gammel vikingeborg | Nyheder | DR

Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:

Here is another video.

For those not familiar with the early history of Denmark as a nation:

The Jellinge Stones, located in Jutland, are considered the "birth certificate" of Denmark, because it is the first time a king is named as being king of the whole country. - There were kings of Denmark, or rather the lands of the Danes, several centuries before that. Depending on political circumstances, they were sometimes kings of the whole country and sometimes little more than major chieftains.
In the last couple of centures prior to Harald Bluetooth, the nation of Denmark was being formed and established as a realm. Elaborate defensive works were contructed to the south. There was intermarriage with other royal families in Northern Europe and so on.
And by the 960's the royal power was so established that king Harald Bluetooth put up a monument for his parents, claiming that Denmark was now Christian (not exactly true, that process took a couple of hundred years more) and that he through his father, Gorm the Old, was king of Denmark.

That was very much a political message, not least directed against the Carolingian empire. Which now didn't have an excuse to conqeror Denmark - a fellow Christian country. While at the same time cementing the fact that big daddy here - and no one else - is in charge!

On that basis it has been decided that this monument was the beginning of Denmark as a nation and QMII can trace her lineage directly back to king Gorm the Old. His remains were found a number of years ago and investigated with QMII's permission.

However, new digs have shown that the monument was surrounded by a very elaborate palisade, presumably also enclosing the royal court itself. Showing that Harald Bluetooth wasn't boasting. His claim as king of Denmark was valid and backed up by strength.
That palisade is now marked by a number of concrete pillars - which I personally think are butt-ugly and an eye-sore. :bang:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom