Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 4: Jan. 2013 - November 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the painting :flowers:
I think the pose is cute. But if we wanted a real natural pose of a 7 yr old boy, Christian would be riding the lion :ROFLMAO:

Does Frederik have a similar painting or picture with the lion(s)?

oh a little charmer :) i think it is a perfect way for an 7 years to pose, he looks happy, confident and like a cool and smart boy :) Glad he did not just stand and yes, there is no doubt who his daddy is :) and I must say I really like and appreciate that Frederik&Mary never dress Christian with tie

Last edited:
Great portrait that gives a glimpse of the young princes personality. Love the Rosenborg silver lion.
I wonder where QMII will hang the portrait.

I like that painting, it's very true to Christians character IMO.

Thanks LadyFinn :flowers:

I like it. I think it captures Christian very well.
Much better than if he was just standing there - and he is his father's son...
and his grandmother's heir, so that the Lion is indeed very appropriate; I wonder if he has her wrapped around his thumb like he has the lion?:flowers: Thanks for the reminder Muhler, but I saw those lions when I visted Rosenborg and was mightily impressed!:cool:

Thanks for the pics LadyFinn :flowers:

Notice Christian's missing tooth :D He is a good mix between his parents IMO -he has his mother's beautiful classic features and his father's boyish charm.

and his grandmother's heir, so that the Lion is indeed very appropriate; I wonder if he has her wrapped around his thumb like he has the lion?:flowers: Thanks for the reminder Muhler, but I saw those lions when I visted Rosenborg and was mightily impressed!:cool:

Maybe ;) I certainly think that they (Christian and grandma Margrethe) has a special bond between them. He is the heir to the throne. IIRC, she has also mentioned it once in an interview.

Pics of Christian walking in front with grandma Margrethe
http://i2-images2.tv2net.dk/s/47/29573447-3da7443459ea78067795a4137a9324bb.jpeg
http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/741/4/4741780-.jpg
http://i2-images2.tv2net.dk/s/56/31395256-7d9e87c90a656d05d215d921ae8ae044.jpeg
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-Ps2Rdw0P9qu-5xxKIZafLRKqEY32UE-2q1GOm-UmJ18zj0x0cg

Last edited:
Christian himself is captured very well but I find the lion too much and the pose is dreadful for a kid, its like a playboy's pose wearing a shiny suit.

I really like this portrait. It's a good likeness of Christian and I like the symbolism and continuity of posing him with the lion.
I agree, Margrethe and Christian seem to have a very close bond. I'm sure she loves the portrait. :)

I rather like it, colors, pose, lion and all.

This boy is really growing up fast now!

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #15, 2013.
Gave til Dronningen - Present for the Queen.
Written by Henrik Salling.

As you know QMII unveiled a new portrait of Christian recently, painted by Mikael Melbye.
The unveiling took place in the Great Hall/Knights Hall in Christian IX's Mansion at Amalienborg.
QMII was pretty delighted with the picture! It was supposed to hang in QMII's office at Amalienborg, but QMII has decided it shall hang at Fredensborg instead, so that more can enjoy it.
As Mikael Melbye puts it: "The picture is after all not an official portrait but a private picture for farmor (paternal grandmother). That's why there should be a lot of - boy - in the picture".
The artist had a number of meetings with QMII, where he presented a draft and it was all fine - except that the draft included Christian wearing a sailor outfit, because the artist had seen pics of Christian wearing that.
QMII Asked: "Is he really supposed to wear a sailor suit"? Frederik wasn't keen on that either!
It wasn't and Christian ended up weaing the suit we can see in the painting.

The work that began last September required five sittings and some 300-500 hours.
About working with Christian Mikael Melbye said: "Prince Christian has been an excellent model. He is a lively child but a wellbehaved one. He is bright, inquisitive and sweet....but impatient as a seven year old should be. But that can be helped with a bag of sweets.
Prince Christian already has lots of personality and a strong will. There is plenty of steel in him, but behind the eyes a rascal is hiding. I hope you can see that in his gaze/eyes".

The painting is a present from both the artist himself as well as people affiliated to the court.

(One more summary will be added to this post shortly. - I won't bother writing a summary about the Finnish visit. The journalist has managed to write several articles about....nothing substancial).

---------------------------

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #15, 2013.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

As you also know from reading this thread the Regent Couple moved to Fredensborg after Easter and that is something they look very much forward to every year and as is tradition the locals recieve them with a procession of torches, culminating with the Regent Couple standing on the stairs of Fredensborg.
That included the royal dachshunds, Querida and Helike, who provided ample entertainment!

The local mayor gave a speech at the foot of the stairs and he was tolerated. However with people standing right next to the stairs, the two little dachshunds were irresistable for a four year old boy named Victor.
While the dogs were keeping a vigilant eye on the mayor, Victor approached and that was not appreciated by the dachshunds! They barked like mad, and that during the national anthem (instead of the royal anthem), so much so that the Regent Couple had to interrupt their singing and try to call their dogs to order. Victor however understood the message and retreated not particularly scared to his mother (or grandmother, can't tell for certain).

- Well, it seems history is repeating itself, the Regent Couple haven't got Querida under control either.

Last edited:
The artist had a number of meetings with QMII, where he presented a draft and it was all fine - except that the draft included Christian wearing a sailor outfit, because the artist had seen pics of Christian wearing that.
QMII Asked: "Is he really supposed to wear a sailor suit"? Frederik wasn't keen on that either!
It wasn't and Christian ended up weaing the suit we can see in the painting.

The work that began last September required five sittings and some 300-500 hours.
About working with Christian Mikael Melbye said: "Prince Christian has been an excellent model. He is a lively child but a wellbehaved one. He is bright, inquisitive and sweet....but impatient as a seven year old should be. But that can be helped with a bag of sweets.
Prince Christian already has lots of personality and a strong will. There is plenty of steel in him, but behind the eyes a rascal is hiding. I hope you can see that in his gaze/eyes".

thank you Muhler:flowers:
Im glad the Queen and Frederik agreed with the no sailor suit...although Christian looks cute in a sailor suit, IMO it would have been too much next to the lion. :)

And Im glad to hear about Christian's personality a little...he seems well behave but still a child :flowers:

Thanks for the translation Muhler.

I like the painting, Christian has the look of a very happy little rogue, also the symbolic use of the lion. I believe the three lions represent the Commonwealth Denmark, Greenland and the Faroe Islands is this correct?

Mikael Melbye tells of Christian, what I see of him in pictures, a well behaved, bright, lively and above all a real little boy that is allowed to be himself without the stifling.

You are welcome, Marfre & Polyesco. :)

The silver lions are in fact a reference to King Solomon of the bible, whose throne was protected by twelve golden lions.
Twelve lions were indeed commissioned by Frederik III in the 1660's. But only three lions had been made when he died, and the rest were cancelled. - The war where we lost the ancient Danish lands in today's Sweden and the next war were we tried to reclaim them were very expensive!

They are impressive enough as they are, being of more than 100 kilos of silver.

When QMII dies the lions will guard her coffin for a few days while people pass by her coffin (lit de parade).

Thanks Muhler.

They are fantastic looking lions. As both QM and Christian have now been painted with one of the lions. What chance do you think that we may see a painting of Frederik with the other lion?

:previous: Your guess is as good as mine. :)
I'd say it all depends on Frederik.

However, since Mikael Melbye won't be around forever and the fact that he appears to be very fond of the lions, a qualified guess would be within the next ten years or a couple of years after Frederik become king. Whatever comes first.

A few years ago, the Rosenborg castle in central Copenhagen was undergoing renovations of the hall where the silver lions' usual place is. The lions were sent to France - along a very secret route! - to be part of a large exhibition about princely silver at the Versailles. The queen and Prince Henrik attended the opening - Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: new portrait (lion)

Additional info: Enthroned in silver: silver furniture created for baroque courts makes a dazzling exhibition at Versailles. - Free Online Library.

Last edited:
:previous: And based on that little event, BT has written an article that will put a smile on our faces, I trust.

Se billederne: Prins Henrik er en ener - se de modige tøjvalg - Royale | www.bt.dk
They have had an stylist to review Prince Henrik's....well, style.

They have even included a gallery.
Caution! Do not watch without sunglasses or without being slightly inebriated or you may risk hurting your eyes. Se billederne: Så stilet er Prins Henrik | www.bt.dk

Stylist and makeup artist Kenny Alexandr zayz: "He's a one off. Just as crazy the Queen is with her dress, just as crazy is he. Here is a courageous man, who with the suit signals that he is also an artist.
It's gorgeous colors, which stand so well to the Prince. That the jacket is a Dior is even better. He has difinitely hit the right range of colors with this suit".

However: "It will never be really smart with such tightfitting clothes to such a...rutting (perhaps voluptuous would be a better translation) gentleman. His body build must match the clothes".

The necklace, well: "Again he is standing out. It's not a fashion statement, but it can easily be something he has acquired during a travel. - Perhaps one should leave the souvenir at home the next time".

Apart from that our stylist is pretty much in awe of Prince Henrik: "We have seen him in large leopard print, in yellow from top to bottom garnished with green boat shoes. He lives in an age, where we are not quite up there with him. (*)
Surely it is zuper-fun that we have a prince who show up in this. Just as when the Queen remake her curtains and put them on for a party. Imagine how boring it would be, if they only wore black and white".

(*) So true! Prince Henrik would be perfectly at home in the 1700's or at the court of Louis XIV.

I love these sort of articles, especially as I can actually hear Kenny Alexandr's voice in my ears.
Someone would really make my day if this song was combined with the above gallery of Prince Henrik and posted on YouTube.
Sir Percy Blakeney - Sharp Dressed Man - YouTube

Last edited:
thank you Muhler! I don't have the technical skills to make a prince Henrik Youtube but I also so enjoy the Prince's sense of fun and style. Sir Percy is not quite the Prince Consort's equivalent I think but rather a more robust man, perhaps even the Marlboro man but then in Dior! There's a thought.....:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

On Saturday morning, April 27, Prince Henrik has attended a commemoration service on the occasion of the Marine Society's 100th anniversary at Holmen's Church in Copenhagen.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** kongehuset.dk: Marineforeningens 100-års jubilæum **

And while there he spotted a person dressed up as a crocodile. It was a part of a happening on a pretty weird TV-show, where the purpose is to provoke some kind of reaction. Very funny ha ha. Aaaanyway, the slightly puzzled Prince Henrik walked stright up to the "crocodile" and yanked its jaw: "Hello, crocodile". Thus pulling a prank on the prankster. :p

BB is up.

It's the time of year again. The Regent Couple has boarded Dannebrog today: Regentparrets officielle ombordstigning på Dannebrog - Kongehuset

The flowerboy is a somewhat elderly corporal.

The officer recieving the Regent Couple is the captain of Dannebrog. - As such he is also the most distinguished of QMII's adjutants.
The other adjutant is from the airforce.

On the way to Dannebrog the barge/chaluppe passed the naval yard and was greeted with a salute from Battery Sixtus.
This is also the location of the national flagpole flying the official Flag of the Realm. - It's just a Dannebrog like any other, but the most distinguished.

After the Regent Couple went onboard Dannebrog sailed to the town of Helsingør, where the Regent Couple departed.

That shade of red is impressing (and much better than her favourite blue..;)).

Oh, that's because she can't wear her TeleTubby outfit onboard ships. The aerials on her hat has a tendency to jam Dannebrog's radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom